{GGE} Eye Contact
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
PETER
When Peter has received his assignment for the strange gift exchange, his first feeling was relief. He hadn’t been too late. There was even a tremor of excitement, until he looked at what he was supposed to gift. Then there was confusion, and something approaching despair. He had asked for something simple, straightforward. And he had been asked for {/i}information{/i}. It took him some time to figure out how exactly to pull this off. One might even say he lost track of the day.

In the end though, information only really meant one thing to Peter. Reconnaissance. So he chose a day where the sun was shining, it’s raus too weak still to actually dry anything up, but warm enough that people would be out, and he found a nice spot with a lot of traffic passing by. Peter has a gift for disappearing, for being quiet and unobtrusive and easy to ignore, and that was what he did now, blending into the background to let the day progress before him. His left had moved idly over a book resting on his legs, recording snippets of conversations, quick descriptions of birds passing by, the smells on the wind. Anything that caught his attention was recorded.

It was almost like he fell into a trance himself, eyes not focused on any one thing, face blank and distant. Occasionally he moves to shift his hand, or turn the page, but there was nothing more than that.
And oh, don’t you wanna love?
And don’t you wanna feel?
I remember, you were reckless, you were hungry
You were real
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
They say blood makes you related but
loyalty makes you family
Loren had been on his way from the Manor to the Atheneum, where he’d been planning to delve through the archives of the Loreseekers and the Atheneum itself. However, on his way, something caught the corner of his eye. Doing a double take, he saw Peter sitting on the ground, writing something. The sight was unusual enough that the summoner meandered over.

Giving a cheerful wave, he crouched down next to the adopted Launceleyn. "Hey there, Peter. What're you up to?" Loren shifted until he was seated as well, back against a nearby wall. Though he tried to be subtle about it, his eyes strayed over to the other man's book, trying to catch a snippet of what Peter had been recording.
LOREN
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
PETER
Peter noticed Loren1, but it took him a moment to realize the other Launceleyn was actually coming to speak to him. A wide glance was thrown around the area before Peter let himself pause his work, turning to look at the other man.

”I am uh... I mean, hello, first, but... I’m working on.... information?” There was an attempt to make it seem like Peter was confident in his work, despite the fact that he wasn’t, and he glanced down to read back the last few lines. Wind changed direction. Warmer now, brought more birds, and floating seeds with it. Woman named Mary may be pregnant. Thin lips twisted into a frown, Peters brow furrowing. ”I... might be doing this wrong.” He admitted, shrugging gently and turning to look at Loren.

1. Of course he did, he would be doing a pretty shitty job if he didn’t notice Loren.
You were real
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
loyalty makes you family
Loren blinked. ”You’re working on...information?” Although he did his best, he couldn’t help the bemused tone in his voice or the amused expression from his face. "Information on what?" He let out a little huff of laughter. "I happen to be in the Loreseekers, and information is kind of our stock in trade." Smiling gently, he crossed his arms as he waited for Peter's response.

When the adopted Launceleyn expressed that he was doing it wrong, the summoner immediately shook his head. "I'm sure you're doing just fine." His voice was encouraging. "But I'd be happy to help you collect your, ah, information. Just need to know what you're looking for."
LOREN
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
Peter frowned, his lips shrinking into a tight line at the tone in Loren’s voice, words jumping to his tongue in an attempt to defend himself1. ”Gathering information. For a... for a present. I was uh... I was asked to.” None of that actually felt like a good enough explanation, but it was all he had. It was easier to not worry when Peter could focus on Loren’s words instead, a flash of recognition on his face. ”Loreseeker like Jar... Jeno... uh... white hair, and uh... magic? Him?”

The encouragement did make him feel the slightest bit better, helped him to relax, enough that he let Loren see a little more of his scribbled notes, his complete summary of the day so far. ”I don’t really... I’m not getting anything specific. Just... everything, I guess.” He shrugged.

1. For whatever reason, Loren’s amusement made him feel like he was doing something wrong, something shameful, and if he could just explain himself well enough he could stem the feeling. Maybe because he cared about what Loren thought of him now?
You were real
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
As Peter explained what he was up to, Loren gave the other man a reassuring smile. ”Alright, makes sense to me. Who is the present for?” At the adopted Launceleyn’s question, the summoner nodded. ”Jigano. Yes, I’m a Loreseeker like Jigano.” Loren’s tone was gentle and soothing.

Peering more closely at the words that Peter had written, the summoner tilted his head. "Everything. Okay then." Glancing up from the page, he gave the adopted Launceleyn a brilliant grin. "Maybe a bird's eye view would help." With that the summoner shifted into a goose, took a running start, and flung himself into the air. His wings pumped as he gained altitude, though he remained close enough for the link with the adopted Launcelyn to work.

Then he began narrating he saw. About one in every three buildings is still damaged in some way. An old female shopkeeper is haggling with a younger woman over a fair trade for some used clothing. Someone is roasting what appears to be skewers of magna vermis. A man is trying to wrangle three small children. It continued in that vein, Loren recounting the small little details of everyday lives of people, the sort of thing that normally went unnoticed and uncommented upon in the hustle and bustle.
LOREN
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
”Kaimana.” Peter answered, certain that he butchered the finer intricacies of the name. Even when he thought it it didn’t seem quiet right, though that may simply have been anxiety. Loren, thankfully, knew who he was talking about, supplying the name with ease, and earning a nod from Peter in response. ”I don’t think he... well,
He didn’t like me.”
He shrugged, trying to give off a much calmer air than he felt.

It was hard to not feel self conscious of his writing, the idea in general, but harder still to resist the smile Loren offered, a matching one spreading over Peters face, though he was a little confused about why. It made sense in an instant, the it bed man shrinking down into a squat bird, then taking off. Within moments, Loren’s voice rang out, giving observations. Peter hastened to get everything down, burning through paper even more quickly than before.

This had to be at least close to something Kaimana would appreciate. It was giving Peter some appreciation for the world around him, something he usually ignored, as well as yet more appreciation in his chest for his adopted kin. This wouldn’t be possible, not in the much detail, without him. Peter tried to send some of the feeling to Loren, wondering if he even can, if Loren will understand.
You were real
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
At the demi-god’s name, Loren grinned. ”Well. This is a perfect gift.” Leaning forward, closer to Peter, the summoner dropped his voice to a whisper. ”Kai was sent by Rae to make observations of the Hollowed Grounds.” Then he stepped back, and gave the adopted Launceleyn a more sympathetic smile. ”I’m sure that’s not true. He takes a bit to get to know, but he’s very nice, and more than willing to talk to anyone.” Loren did his best to make his voice as reassuring as possible.

As the goose continued circling, wings pumping, he continued relaying what he saw to Peter. A cat chased a mouse down an alley, but the mouse got away in a little hole. A girl is nervously knocking on a door, a bouquet of flowers clutched in one hand. Little things like that, small details that usually got lost, the summoner spotted them all, or at least tried.
LOREN
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
Peter couldn’t help the smile that crossed his face when Loren approved of his idea. He had worried that it was too simple, too obvious, but having someone else’s support meant the world to him. ”He uh... he mentioned that, the Rae thing, when I met him.” He admitted, nodding. His expression twisted a little after that, a loose shrug coming off his shoulders. ”I think I might have... might have offended him? So I want to... I want this to be nice.”

With the (quite literal) birds eye view added to his observations, the book on Peters lip filled up twice as quickly, extra little details scrawled in. It wasn’t overly organized, but it was thorough, and that was really all he needed, wasn’t it? Before he really expected it, Peter reached the back cover of the book, no more room for notes or observations. He supposed that meant he was done. He tried to call for Loren, waving at the circling goose to get its attention, since his mental voice seemed to not reach the other man.
You were real
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
Loren smiled encouragingly at Peter. "I'm sure he wasn't too upset. And I'll bet even if he was, this gift will go a long way towards making him feel better." Tone gentle, the summoner sent a pulse of reassurance and comfort towards the adopted Launceleyn.

Given that Loren was observing everything below him in a stream of consciousness, he wasn't actually paying all that much attention to it. A small boy is tossing a ball with a puppy. Peter is waving at the sky. Then his mind kicked him, and he felt amusement flood through his thoughts into his link with the other man. Descending, the summoner landed and shifted back. "Got everything you need?"
LOREN
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
Peter tried to take Loren’s reassurance to heart, but... well he’d need to believe it to see it. And hopefully this gift would help ease the edges of his worries as well. The comfort was a welcome balm though, and Peter closed his eyes to just enjoy it, and the feeling of warmth it brought.

Loren narrating what he was doing managed to pull a soft laugh from Peter, the smile still lingering on his face when the other Launceleyn landed before him again. ”I don’t know if it’s uh... exactly what I need but... I filled the book.” Peter held it up, shaking it back and forth a little before he paused, and looked at it. ”D’you think this... this is enough?” He asked, suddenly worried.
You were real
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
Loren smiled gently at Peter, sending along a reassuring feeling through their link as well. ”That’s great. And I think that Kai is going to think it's a wonderful gift." There was a great deal of certainty in the summoner's voice. It stayed there for his next response. "It's definitely enough. Trust me."

Glancing around, Loren clasped his hands behind his back. "I should probably get going. I'll see you around." He gave the adopted Launceleyn a cheerful little wave. Then the summoner turned. Soon the other man disappeared behind the hustle and bustle of the Sanctuary. Loren was too busy dodging between people to look back to see if Peter was still nervous about the present or not.

-FINISHED
LOREN