its not me they're coming to see
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
The stars, the moon,
They have all been blown out
Abasi had learnt very quickly that hope was a dangerous thing to hold in Caido when it came to the Gods, at least for people like him that were labelled as 'Abandoned'. He had tried several times to communicate to the beings above and had never succeeded, despite his best offerings or prayers. As he waited for Amalia at the temple, he hardly believed her presence was actually going to help.

After all, she was a devotee and apparently well-loved, but what if his presence was a big enough blight on her for the Gods to avoid them both? He sighed, looking back to the shrine and wishing things were as easy here as they had been back in Egypt, where he had known well what gifts to bring which Gods, which prayers to recite.

There were no such rules here and he found it difficult to fit in amidst the loose and vague chaos; his only hope was that Amalia could make some sense of it all. So he continued to wait.
No dawn, no day
I'm always in this twilight
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
"There's no guarantee they'll come," she reminds him once again, glancing about as they enter the temple, her dark eyes sliding from shrine to shrine. But the girl's anxiety is clearly lessened by the simple fact of their being here; she breathes easier, smiles brighter, feels softer than anywhere else. "Ludo... had been away, for a time. I'm not sure why, but I imagine a little of it was my fault." The baker winces, somewhat chagrined, not making eye contact with Abasi.

Passing by Safrin's alter with a pulse of fond affection, the baker comes to stand beside Abasi at Ludo's little shrine. "Here," she says, reaching into her bag to pull out a small wooden doll. Well worn and clearly dearly beloved, its reticulated joints nevertheless work to allow some facsimile of movement. The paint that marks its face is faded, and its dress has clearly been repaired; still, it is a sweet image of a female figure that has belonged to multiple Chandrakant's past. "It likes gifts," the girl explains, placing the figurine on the altar before bowing her head in quiet prayer.

"Hello, Ludo... My friend had questions for you about the realm of Mort. I hoped you might be able to give him some insight."
she was like the moon-
part of her was always hidden away
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
LUDO
"A little doll!" The proclamation did not seem like it should come from something as age-old as the raggedy god that descended upon them both, but it was indeed so. Ludo dropped from the rafters of the temple like some dark spider that had been lying in wait all along (impossible! ...wasn't it?) and drifted to hover over its shrine. A tendril snaked out to pat Amalia affectionately atop the head, remembering the Shield well and her assistance in the collection of Longnight souls.

"A fine offering. Your grandmother played with this, yes?" Ludo lifted the doll, turning it here and there, its mask turning to gaze down at the two of them at last. "What questions do you have about Mort's realm, Abandoned?"
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The stars, the moon,
Abasi nearly laughed as Amalia told him there was no guarantee - as if he did not know, after rejection had piled atop of rejection. To hear that some of the absence of the Gods may have been Amalia's fault, though...he did not ask, concerned that speaking of it within the earshot of a shrine may be poor luck, but he raised an eyebrow. "Let us hope for an audience today, then."

As they knelt, Abasi went to bow his head, but Amalia pulled out a small doll instead. Even with the explanation, he felt it was a very odd offering for a God, especially for one meant to observe something so prestigious as death. Still, he trusted she knew what she was doing, even though he had no faith a God would actually appear.

So when a voice before them excitedly took the doll he jumped, his head snapping up and his body stumbling backward. The figure before them was most unnerving and given he had expected to see only a quiet shrine, rather a shock. "I--ah..I-" Stammering and mumbling were not his usual responses and he concentrated very hard to pull himself out of it.

"...I...I have many." He began, sitting in a more orderly fashion. "Are you aware of the work I have begun, Ludo? Do you approve of it?"
No dawn, no day
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
Ludo's appearance is both relieving and surprising; Amalia inhales a sharp breath as it raises a tendril to her head, not sure if she will be decapitated or caressed.

Caressed, it turns out. Exhaling the held breath, the Shield smiles uncertainly. "Yes. It was hers. I... I hope she will remember it." A quiet, unspoken question lingers in her alto voice: is she there? Can she hear me? Does she know?

They aren't here for her, however. Amalia almost laughs aloud at Abasi's sudden awe, amused to see the man showing far more emotion than he'd seen from her before. Stepping back, the girl leans against a pillar, letting the undertaker question the herald, content for now to listen and watch.

Feel free to skip Ama going forward unless she's addressed directly!
she was like the moon-
part of her was always hidden away
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
LUDO
Ludo’s masked face cocks to one side, the little doll shaking about in its grip, and it seems to smile as though it has heard something. ”She does,” it confirms, tucking away the offering before moving its attention back to the stammering Abandoned. For a moment it is as though the god stares straight through Abasi, as if he is being dissected and examined, body and soul.

”You assist those who would cross into Mort’s realm,” it confirmed. ”A celebrant of death in whichever custom it may take.” It nodded. ”Honourable work. Keep a lantern lit outside your door - it will bring good luck.”
Undertaker

Change author:
The stars, the moon,
Ludo's stare was piercing even without visible eyes under the hood; thinking it might be a test Abasi kept his head held high, met the gaze evenly. Not disrespectful, but confident - I am here. I am worthy of your attention.

As he had expected, Ludo was aware of him and his work. At the advice about the lantern he nodded, planning to put that into effect as quickly as he could once he returned to his mortuary. "I am glad you approve of my work. I have some questions that I think would help me in performing it, if I may ask."

Assuming Ludo gave him the go ahead, Abasi cleared his throat and asked: "All souls in this world go to you, yes? To then go forward to Mort? Is...would it be possible for you to adopt a different appearance or perhaps some kind of way to honour the beliefs of Outlanders? I believe many of the Outlanders would find it comforting to feel at least some of their beliefs about death are included in their spiritual journey, as we cannot return our souls back to our own afterlives." Finishing his request he glanced up into the dark hood, hoping he had not been disrespectful.
No dawn, no day
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Spooky Rags

Change author:
LUDO
Acting worthy of attention, especially in moments of challenge, is sure to get you what you ask for, and Ludo continues to stare at Abasi as though seeing right into him - and that very well might be true. "Ask away, guardian of death," it bobs its mask to allow him to go ahead, but like a cat in a staring contest, did not look away.

Rags drift and danc around Ludo of their own accord, and the masked deity considers the questions posed to it with no great rush. But suddenly it warps and stretches and changes; before Abasi's eyes, Ludo becomes a figure tall and grim with the head of a jackal. "I am adept at taking many forms, especially those which the dead may find comforting." And, y'know, centuries of madness trapped in the Grounds meant it abused that sometimes (sorry Remi) but it's all good.

"What you ask is already done, though one's journey to Mort's realm is a private affair, so it is not spoken of much by the living."
Undertaker

Change author:
The stars, the moon,
The name 'Guardian of Death' had a ring to it Abasi rather liked - it sounded important. A title he liked far better than 'Abandoned', anyway.

Though any thoughts of things as insignificant as words left him as before his eyes Anubis appeared, every bit accurate; as if he had jumped from a wall painting in one of the many tombs Abasi had helped to create. Taking in a sudden gasping breath Abasi wrenched his eyes away and forced himself to look down, to bow; he was unable to act as stoic when looking a God he had worshipped for most of his life in the face, even if it was a disguise.

"I...I am glad, then. It will be of comfort to the Outlanders I see in my work." He said when he could bring himself to speak again. Wrenching his eyes up to at least look in the vague direction of Ludo-Anubis' eyes, he continued: "And...may I ask what it is like when the journey is complete? With...Mort? What can the soul expect? Is there a punishment for those who led immoral lives?"
No dawn, no day
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Spooky Rags

Change author:
LUDO
The laugh that rumbles out of Anubis-Ludo is low enough to shake the ground, though it seems little more than mildly amused at Abasi's sudden placation towards it. "And a comfort to yourself, I hope, when your time finally comes." It ducked its head in a nod, holding the jackal-headed figure's shape for a few more moments before dissolving back into its rags and its mask and bobbing back towards the shrine to play with the doll.

"Journey's end brings peace and rest. It does not matter to Mort whether your heart weighs one way or the other on the scales - he welcomes all into his realm with love. Who is it to say what is right or what is wrong, after all?" Apart from when it came to Ascended, apparently. And even then, blah blah blah, Ludo couldn't kill them. Whatever.
Undertaker

Change author:
The stars, the moon,
"Oh yes, surely." Abasi agreed, nodding his head. Perhaps he knew, moreso than others, that it was all a trick, a visual illusion, but there was still something comforting in the visage of his Old Gods, the knowledge that some trace of them could still survive here.

That there was no moral judgement was surprising and a little hard for him to get his head around (what motivation was there to live well, if there was no reward in death?), but Abasi did not question. This was not truly his area to ask of, anyway - he was not a priest here, not a man of philosophy, just the worker delivering bodies to their final rest.

There was one last question. "I wish to ask one more thing, admittedly more for myself." Lowering his eyes, Abasi asked: "Why is it I have found myself Abandoned upon arriving at this place? Is there anything I can do to further prove myself to the Gods?" He felt, if Ludo approved of his work, he must have done more than most hoping for a pass from the Divine.
No dawn, no day
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Spooky Rags

Change author:
LUDO
Ludo floated, a literal blank mask upon which Abasi could cast his thoughts, though he would find little bounced back at him other than the answers he came up with himself. Well - all except one. His final question Ludo could very well answer, and the god regarded the Abandoned with little more than sad understanding. "You were not brought here by Rae or Vi or Mort. They had no part in your making," it explained.

"It is thanks to another entity that you are here - however you best translated to her schemes is how you find yourself now." It seemed to shrug. "I would not think much upon such cosmic accidents. Your actions here and now are what matter."
Undertaker

Change author:
The stars, the moon,
Abasi had heard before that it was The Voice who had brought him to Caido, the mysterious Goddess that seemed to so split opinion in the Hollowed Grounds. That it might be her fault he had arrived 'Abandoned', though...his brow furrowed as he tried to think on it. Surely, as Abandoned were defined by a rejection by the Old Gods, it was still dependant on them?

Perhaps he just did not understand yet.

"Alright. Thank you." He bowed his head. "Is there anything more you want me to do with my work, anything to change? I will put the lantern outside the door as you wish."
No dawn, no day
ABASI
Base Code by Sky!
Spooky Rags

Change author:
LUDO
Ludo shook its masked head at Abasi's questioning of whether he ought to change anything. It did not deign to speak any more, either, on the subject of Abandoned and how the undertaker had found himself in the world. "Change nothing, but keep your lantern lit. Rest assured I will check in, and you will know if there might be any improvements to be made."

Glancing between Abasi and Amalia, the god reached out this time to pat the former upon the head in farewell. "It has been fun. Thank you for the gift." Twirling up and away in a mass of rags, Ludo promptly disappeared.