Bury My Heart Next to Yours
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
BASTIEN
"Yes...I do not have much experience with great grief. My mother...she died about a year before I came here, but I only found out by letter - I had not seen her in ten years prior." He'd not known how to feel about it, when he had held the paper in his hands, written in his father's scratchy hand and smelling of perfumes and flowers that he knew from his house as a child. There had been a painting or two in her memory, but he had not attended the funeral nor visited his father. "Still, I have helped others in the throes of it. I was thinking they could write notes, leave pictures, flowers...anything they like."

Bastien could feel, in the way Rexanna's hands gripped on him tight, how she was anxious now; she was often so strong that he did not think she needed much comfort, but of course, she was human. Human and as out of her depth as anyone else, when faced by such great travesty. "Yes, I agree. After all, we do have plenty of time. That is the wondrous thing about being Ascended, I suppose. There is no rush; we have the lengths of eternity to realise our plans."
And nothing matters when we're dancing
In tatter-tatters you're entrancing
Base Code by Sky!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
sometimes we break so beautiful and you know you're not the only one
i breathe you in so sweet and powerful
She listens as he tells her of his mother, and she gives him all the attention she can. A quiet nod given in response, in understanding. “Was it difficult? Growing up with your mother and then losing touch?” She asks quietly. Her mother had died shortly after her birth, beheaded. She’d been given to a wet nurse, adopted by servants that couldn’t raise their own child. She didn’t know what it was like to really lose a mother in a sense like that, and part of her – some terrible part of her – wanted to know.

She nods regardless to the next suggestion. “I think that many would like that. Will you be putting Aoife up there too?” She asks quietly, head tilting as she regards him briefly, before her anxieties of their own possible child in the future begins to have her tightening her grip on him, craving the comfort that he brings. And while he might not bring true warmth, much like she, she can feel it in her heart – and that’s enough. “We do. Maybe see what the rest of Caido has to offer, find a place to settle down away from it all.” She muses, gaze flitting up to meet his.
like a wildfire burning up inside my lungs
i'm burning up, i'm burning up, i'm burning up
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
Rexanna's question caught him a little off guard, but he supposed it was natural she was curious. He had only mentioned this before in the briefest ways, purposefully in passing, though he wasn't quite sure why - it made sense she wished to know more now that he'd elaborated. "Well...I left my parents when I was barely thirteen and in that bull-headed stage of growing up where I believed them to be idiots." He laughed, though it was a little sad.

"We did not see eye to eye on many things. They thought my dreams of becoming a painter were foolish; they wanted me to work hard at the gardens, as they had done and their parents before them, find myself a wife from our home lands, give them grandchildren..." It had never been the life he had been destined to have. "Though as I grew older, and I did occasionally write to my mother...I think she understood that I was happy. But that happiness could not have come without my leaving. So..." He shrugged.

Looking off into the distance, he raised his eyebrows and clearly was unsure how to feel about his next words: "Besides, they had taken in others, after I left. I am sure they were not lonely or ill cared-for. I was not the son they needed, nor were they the people I was meant to be with. It was simply...how it was meant to be." As rambling as this answer was, it hadn't really answered Rexanna's question, but Bastien was lost in thought and did not say much more on it.

At least the memorial was here and now, not a figment of the past. "Of course. She was lost, just like the other children. A bright girl, and I am sure she will be mourned by more people than just her parents." As for their own children, waiting until the time was right, he just nodded, a little distant, and held her closer.
Base Code by Sky!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
She listens to him, clinging to him gently to offer the support where she could. The story, though, she listens and tries to apply it for her life in a sense. She can’t come close, but there are parts that she can relate to – that they weren’t what was needed, what would make all of them happy in the end. Squeezing his arm lightly, she rests her head on his shoulder again to look out over the fields when he grows quiet. “That makes sense.” She agrees, understanding lingering in her mind. “Perhaps there was happiness with them knowing that you were happy, even if it wasn’t what they wanted?” She asks quietly, contemplating.

The King of Halyven killed my parents a few days after I was born and handed me off to the wet nurse who found a servant couple who couldn’t have kids of their own.” She’s sure she’s explained it before to Bastien, but it couldn’t hurt to bring it back up again. “But it still wasn’t really the same, you know? Growing up with blue eyes while both parents had brown and wondering why. Wondering why you don’t look like your supposed parents.” A small crooked smile. “They were happy though I think, until the day they told me I wasn’t theirs.” She shrugs lightly before she looks up to smile at him easily. Perhaps the happiness was just in having someone or something to care for.

Like they had Pittore. Like they had Clemente. Like they had their little Ascended family. Perhaps, for now, that was enough.

The mention of the memorial though has her gaze softening on him, her anxieties melting away from her as she nods. “I’ll miss her very much.” She agrees, cuddling in closer to him as he too holds her close.
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
While he had dealt with the emotional pains of his strained relationship with his parents many years prior, Bastien was still grateful for Rexanna's gentle, reassuring touch; it had always been a good reminder that he was not alone here, where he had been so suddenly tossed away from his chosen family in Venice. "Maybe so. Still, I think my father would have liked me to return for a visit...I was considering it, when I was taken here. So now I will not be able to; I wonder if he has heard any news of my disappearance." It was entirely possible he just thought Bastien hadn't contacted him and was still living his life in Venice.

Every single time Bastien learnt a new detail about Rexanna's life, he wished he could somehow jump across time and worlds to protect her, to shield her from the horrors and pain she had experienced. Unable to do that, he simply stroked her hair again and his other hand went to hold hers, thumb running over her knuckles. "Why would that day have made them any less happy? Surely, they already know? Did you leave upon finding out?" He did not know what he would have done in that situation - there had never been any doubt of Bastien's heritage. The one reminder of his parents he had always carried with him were his features, which were directly taken from his father's face.
Base Code by Sky!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
Her lips form a line as she considers what he says – if the disappearance had been known to his father, if it mattered in the end if it had or hadn’t. So instead, she smiles up to him lightly. “If there was a way to tell him what happened to you, what do you think he’d say?” The smile shifts to something akin to a crooked one at that. “Being married and all that.” She tilts her head down to grasp his hand, to touch the ring that sits on his finger with her own hand sporting a ring.

Part of her wonders what they’d think of her too.

She doesn’t voice that particular thought as she explains her own history, looking up at him as his thumb runs against her knuckles and he poises a question. “They knew I was important to the King but didn’t know exactly why. And when I found out, it was my birthday when the King brought all the servants to the court with him alone and the higher up council of sorts. Then they told me, and whisked me away to learn the ways of the court.” She frowns lightly. “I got new rooms, new clothes, new everything. They rarely saw me after that.” She looks back down contemplatively. “And then when I was trained well enough, they put me in a carriage and shipped me off to Asciend to meet Cal and learn how Asciend was, what they expected of me.
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Rexanna's question was harder than she might have known; Bastien had not had an adult conversation with his father once, barely remembered the way he spoke from half-forgotten memories of his childhood. Still, he knew his morals, ideas, the way his written word had come across - enough to make an idea. "He would be happy about the marriage. That I was considering children...less happy that I was not married to a girl from Indian roots. But I think once he got to know you, he'd understand." Hopefully. Admittedly, Bastien was more saying this as a kindness to Rexanna rather than as anything he thought likely, but it hardly mattered.

As she stroked his thumb he turned his hand and opened it, letting her trace her fingers around on his palm. The sensation was not quite the same since his Ascension, but it was still something intimate, soft, private. "Oh...did you want to leave, with the King? I cannot imagine you want to leave your parents, but the call of the noble life, perhaps, for a teenager..." He knew it had not been a dream in reality, but he could see someone young getting caught up in the fantasy initially.
Base Code by Sky!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
She nods when Bastien mentions that his father would be happy about the marriage, that he was considering children. She’s sure it would likely come as a shock to him, and she bites down on her lip briefly while she considers it. Only when he mentions that he’d be disappointed that Bastien hadn’t married a girl with Indian roots, she can’t help but to nod and smile at that. It sounds familiar, in an extent, to the rules she had to abide by as well once upon a time. “I hope he’d like me.” She admits, perhaps a bit sheepishly, but she smiles regardless.

The conversation of her own upbringing though has her looking back down to their hands together. She links her fingers with his as she contemplates the question. “It was a secret. The King was always a hard man to get along with, and nobody knew until my eighteenth birthday when he sort of dropped it on me.” She pauses as she thinks about it, squeezing his hand gently before she looks back up to him. “I sort of just imagined I’d stay a servant my whole life, and I was fine with that. I had a good section and life was easy and fine. But then they told me I was supposed to go marry the prince of the land we’d been at war with for decades, and when they told me that it was… Frightening, to be honest.” She says softly, squinting lightly.
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Those who dislike you must have horrendously poor taste, and if there is one thing I can say for the De Rosieres line - we are not lacking in good taste." Bastien smiled, putting a hand to his chest as he declared the strengths of his ancestors. He was relatively sure that given enough time, Rexanna would have been able to charm his father; as she had him. Though it didn't truly matter, not when his father may as well have been imaginary when he was in Caido. That thought stopped his smile from fully reaching his eyes.

"..Ah." It was interesting, Bastien thought, how different life could be from a fairytale, where discovering your royal blood and marrying a prince would surely be a happy ending, not the beginning of a nightmare. "Marriage...I used to be wary of it because of situations like yours; I thought it was primarily a thing for social obligations and crude allyships. Wouldn't life be better if it was reserved for people like us? Truly in love. Simply wanting it to be known..." He was musing, but he'd seen plenty of arranged marriages in his life, and of those he'd seen very few happy ones.

Perhaps it was insensitive to ask her more questions, but Rexanna seemed willing enough to speak about it for the moment. "What was your first impression of him? This Prince? Did he reveal all his putridness right away, or let you believe him a good man at first?"
Base Code by Sky!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
A quiet chime of a laugh leaves her lips as Bastien ensures that they’d like her at the very least, and she gives him a bright smile in response to that, to the hand he places on his chest declaring the good taste they have. “I’m glad I’m a part of it then. I can blame it on that name.” She teases gently, giving him a small wink to encourage the charm. But she knows it must be hard, to not know what happened and what’s going on in the previous world.

Sometimes she wonders if Cal has gone from kingdom to kingdom, destroying and tearing it down in the name of finding her one way or another. She’s thankful he hasn’t found his way here at the very least.

But she shifts a bit to explain what had truly occurred the day she’d been shipped off, the day her life had changed. Still, she nods to him in understanding – because that’s exactly what they’d done. Tried to create a bridge where one could not be made. To put the daughter of the enemy court within their own, she was a lamb surrounded by wolves, waiting for one misstep before things got out of hand. And out of hand, they absolutely got.

The servants in Halyven could do it that way.” She offers quietly. “I had always hoped to find someone like you among them should I have remained.” She offers – both working, doing what they needed to survive, a good home and a good life despite it all. But life was never easy or kind, she’s learned. The small mercy of having Bastien here was the only thing kind and wonderful she tethered to like a stone to keep from drifting away.

He asks another question, and her verdant gaze lands on him again, searching his face and eyes as she contemplates it. “I thought he was good enough.” She offers softly. “He was aloof, quiet, a bit… Cold toward me. I think it was likely because he had been bedding others during that time and viewed me as a threat to that. The women did too.” A small shrug of her shoulders. “He was handsome though, large wings that were soft to touch. He took better care of those than anything else.” She muses, the thought causing a brief smile to cross her face. “It wasn’t until we were married that things went wrong. That he started to interrogate me slowly at first, and still through it all I had wanted to love him.” A slight frown crosses her face. Was it from fear? That if she didn’t love him and didn’t have his favor, that she’d lose her life? That she wanted to do anything she could to appease the court there to keep her kingdom safe? Those are the questions she can’t totally answer.
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"You'd fit in well - you do have good taste. I trust very few people with criticism of my work." Bastien bounced most of his paintings off Rexanna in the process of making them now; found it hard to continue without her input after a certain point. He was not sure when it had happened, but somehow she'd made herself a part of his creative method without even trying.

He smiled as she mentioned wanting to find someone like him back in her old world, had she remained. "I wonder if The Voice knew, when she plucked people from their worlds, that some of them would gravitate together...a chance we would have never had otherwise." Bastien was not naive enough to believe in fate but he found it wonderfully romantic that he and Rexanna had come to each other (and cum on eachother ;-) ) from across two worlds.

That Rexanna's husband to-be had been sleeping with many women wasn't really a surprise, but that he had...wings...? "You have never mentioned that before. Why did he have wings? Was that a common part of your life back then?" He wouldn't doubt it, given the things he'd seen here and what he'd heard of other worlds, but the details of these lands so much more exciting than Earth continued to surprise him.

"And...did you ever love him?" He asked quietly, fingers stopping as they held out a little strand of her hair, curious eyes on her.
Base Code by Sky!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
A bright smile is sent his way at the response she gets, honored to be among the few that he lets critique. “Keeps you grounded, you know, before you get too carried away.” She teases him lightly, becoming a tether in this relationship the way that he’s become her spirit — a dreamer, while she became the armor he needed. And it worked well, every time, despite the fear she may have set in him time and time again.

At the mention of whether the Voice knew whom she was pulling from, she can’t say. But the thought inspires something deep within her she can’t quite place. “That’s a very romantic way of thinking about it.” She says lightly, giving him a smile softer than she had previously, agreeing with the idea of it all.

It’s her turn to be slightly surprised when he asks about the wings, sure she had told him about them before — but things for her specifically get lost from event to event, and she finds it very likely she may have just omitted that bit out. But it’s almost a half nod to him, gaze lifting to find his own. “Only the Asciends did. Halyven was normal in comparison. I think they possibly had them because Asciend was more of a harder, mountainous region and flying helped quite a bit with attaining food. That’s partially why they were at war with us for so long. They wanted our easier mountains, our plains down below to farm in.” She muses thoughtfully.

But his hand stills as he runs it through a strand of her hair, and her gaze sits on him curiously as the question leaves his lips. “I think I didn’t know what love was.” An honest answer. “You could read about it in books, and at the time I thought I did. But after coming here, after you... Well, what I had wasn’t love.” She reaches up to cover his hand with her own, head tilting slightly to press a kiss to his palm.
REXANNA
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Ah, yet...it is so strange..." A smile on his lips, Bastien tapped his chin as if deep in thought. "When I am with you..." He pulled up her hands to his mouth and kissed her knuckles in a silly show of firey passion, looking up to say: "...I feel like I am soaring above the clouds!" To finish off this he kissed the back of her hand, then let it go, a lovestruck grin remaining on his face as she commented on the romantic nature of his thoughts on The Voice.

Of course, there was no smile when she began to go back into her past, though he did wear a slightly bemused expression as she confirmed people had indeed had wings where she came from (possible confirmation that she was an angel, something Bastien had long suspected). "I see...you know, when I hear these things about other worlds, I wonder if mine was just particularly boring." There had been a lot of amazing things on Earth, but hardly any of the sorcery or legend he heard about from other Outlanders.

"You know...for different reasons, I don't think I did either. Until this, all my romantic connections had been late night trysts or fleeting summer romances...I was sure I was not made for a long term love. I think...perhaps I just had not grown up enough yet." It was a little alarming, how much more mature he felt in the last year, how much more ready to love and be loved.
Base Code by Sky!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
Her gaze finds him when he speaks, watching as he taps his chin and brings his hands to his mouth, kissing her knuckles slowly, and she shivers beneath his gaze at it levies on her. And she gives him a bright fanged grin to that, thinking back to a term she’d heard before in Halyven, humming a bit of her amusement. “You be the anchor that keeps my feet on the ground, I’ll be the wings that keep your heart in the clouds.” She muses to him, stepping up on her tiptoes to place a kiss to his nose. (Threw in a Mayday Parade reference because I absolutely couldn’t stop myself)

But the smiles and amusement fade as soon as she settles back on her heels, leaning into him as she delves further into her past, into the life she’d had before ending up here – how much of a salvation Caido had been to her with her head mere inches away from the chopping block. But she looks up to him then with a light smile and a small shake of her head. “I think Halyven and your world were similar. It was only Asciend that bore wings. It was strange, even to us, even though they’d had them for as long as anyone could remember.” She says quietly.

But in terms of love? Well, she hadn’t known what it was. Not really, at least. And she listens to him, reaching up to wrap her arms around his neck, to look into his ochre gaze with as much love as she can muster in her green gaze. “You’ve grown up quite handsomely.” She tells him with a hint of jest, before it fades to seriousness. “I think… Finding you is the best thing that’s ever happened to me, Bastien.” She says quietly, smile faltering in her seriousness of the words that leave her lips. “To love me for me and not what I could give you. And I think we have the Voice and Frey to thank for that.” She says softly, smile slowly returning and creeping along her face.
REXANNA