{SE} good day sunshine
for Bastien
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
Yours is the light by which my spirit's born
you are my sun
As right as Bastien was, Oliver was stubborn and didn't believe anything was wrong. "I mean...I've been helping myself." He hate, he got clothes, and he slept. Sounds like he helped himself out plenty enough. Plus, he was having the fine luxury of coming here and drawing or painting or whatever came to mind. Sounds like Bastien was just telling him something he was already doing, which meant he had plenty of room to help others. Absolutely. Bastien was right about Oliver not applying it to himself. Oliver wasn't exactly the most smart person...and he was incredible stubborn...and also made immature decisions. Okay, Oliver did do a lot of rash things. Letting out a sigh, Oliver shook his head. "Don't worry, I'll make sure that I'm fine. I mean...I think I'm fine?" No. No he wasn't.

Tapping his foot against the ground, Oliver leaned over ever so slightly so he could see what Bastien was sketching. "I mean...I think I have some friends? Do I just give it to someone? Without telling them?" So it's gift giving, rather than gift exchanging? Since exchanging implies receiving something in return. "if that's the case then damn....I may have to make some more things..." Because already, he had so many people in mind to give things to.
my moon
and all my stars
OLIVER
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
BASTIEN
Bastien stayed quiet as Oliver contradicted himself as to his own state, only raising an eyebrow with a smirk as Oliver said he 'thought' he was fine. It was up to the young man if he wanted to tell him of his troubles in more depth; Bastien's duties at the guild often included being an ear for those that wanted to talk but he would not push it.

All he knew was that people that actually were fine didn't usually need to question it.

He moved his hand so Oliver could see his drawing closer, though it was hardly one of his masterpieces. Upon hearing that he thought he had friends Bastien gave Oliver a bemused smile. "You do not know? If you cannot be sure a friend is a friend, they must be a poor one. Listen - I will be your friend. The first one you can know of." He winked, then continued to work on his doodle, shading in various parts with the edge of his pencil.

"You give a gift to whoever you like. You could tell them, if you wanted to." He shrugged, never having much thought of it.
Some people can't get success with their art
Some people never feel love in their heart
Some people can't tell the two things apart
But I keep rollin' on
Base Code by Sky!
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
you are my sun
The amount of silence between the two only made Oliver question things even more. He...thought he was okay? He wasn't crying constantly, but he also knew that sometimes he felt upset or mad at things...but isn't that normal for a human to do? In all honesty, he had no idea how he was, but he was better than somepeople, so surely he could be classified as fine. "Yeah....yeah. I think I'm fine yeah...I mean, I'm here, aren't I? And I'm still able to smile?" There were times where he would question this, many indeed, mostly when he believed someone was treating him unfairly.

Bastien would move on to adjust himself, allowing Oliver to get a good look at the drawing. Already he could tell that the man was far more experienced than him, but rather than making Oliver feel bad about his own skills, this instead gave him a boost of inspiration as he now had something to look forward to. Though, the conversation would soon move on and he would become very distracted, now turning his head to look at Bastien's face. "I mean? I don't know...I know with some people, I care a lot about them and they make me happy....but then I don't think they feel the same way about me." There was someone in specific that he had in mind, clearly, but he wasn't going to say any names for the time being. It still brought a smile to his face to have Bastien confirm to be his friend.

His face had seemingly lit up and he was grinning a small bit. "Thank you Bastien...means a lot to hear that." Looks like he had his first official friend in Caido and it felt great.

Clicking his heals, Oliver glanced away ever so slightly. The blonde bit down on his lip and tried to hide away a bashful smile. "There...actually is someone I have in mind...he's super sweet and I'd really love to be his friend and...yeah, I wanna get him something... something nice. He deserves something nice." There was a hint of something else to his voice, as though he weren't saying the true story. Once again, he left out names, this time for a completely different reason.
my moon
and all my stars
OLIVER
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
"I've seen people smile as a noose is tied around their neck - that ability means little. What matters is if you feel content within yourself at the quiet hours of the night." Bastien wasn't lying about this; public executions had been something regarded as entertainment in a lot of places during his time and he'd seen more than a few, but usually not by choice. He'd always found it frightening, to look death so in the face...now that he considered it, perhaps that was why Ascension had seen so appealing.

Could anyone ever truly know how another felt for them? Bastien had no way of knowing entirely that Rexanna loved him, though he was very sure of the fact indeed. "Ask them. Or just keep being good to them - that is the best way to assure they will like you."

He only smiled as Oliver thanked him for his friendship. It was not a hard thing for him to give; Bastien wanted to be a friend of most people, with very few exceptions. Most of them were so interesting and his life and art were enriched by knowing as many as possible.

Bastien went back to his drawing as Oliver began to say, in a voice reminding him of a lovestruck schoolgirl, that there was a man he'd like to be a friend of indeed. Keeping his voice carefully neutral for the moment (but unable to help the knowing smile), Bastien asked: "What is it you think you might get him? What is it he likes?"
But I keep rollin' on
Base Code by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
you are my sun
The picture that manifested itself in Oliver's mind was an unpleasant one. People were strange. They could smile at almost everything, just like Bastien was saying. Oliver didn't feel as though it were right to compare himself to one of those, seeing as his problems really weren't all that big. Not in the slightest. "I... right now, I would say no...I feel content when I am outside, doing things. But alone at night? No... but I do think I'm getting better." He had to be honest, really and truly, especially when Bastien mentioned one of the worst times for him. That moment when he heard nothing, saw nothing, and was left alone with no one but himself. It was one of the most unpleasant times to him.

Bastien was carefree, capable of moving on past things and simply being open and blunt. Oliver didn't feel as though he were capable of being so honest. "Isn't it weird to just randomly ask someone 'hey, are we friends? I mean, of course I'm still going to be nice to people, but that feels too awkward and forced." Why would he stop being kind to people? Unless they were an asshole to him, he saw no reason to not treat someone with at least a small amount of respect. The assholes, well, he'd save their lives, but that didn't mean he'd ever be respectful.

The conversation continued to move lightly, showing the peace that had settled between the two. Oliver didn't feel strained or upset. He felt free here, like he could talk with Bastien about nearly anything, only a couple of things would hopefully never be spoken about. Maybe that's why he felt like he could be open about how he viewed the other man or what he thought of his friend.

The friend in mind was someone that Oliver did think could find a place in the Artist's Guild, which meant he wasn't entirely sure how much he could tell Bastien without it being obvious who he was speaking about. "Well... I cant say much, but...he... he's so creative! And I mean, not exactly like, my type of creative. I don't know.... maybe I could make a sketch of him? Or maybe I could get him a new outfit?" It was hard to talk about the man without saying certain things, seeing as he didn't know of any other acrobats in Caido. "I don't know...he was just so nice to me...and he makes me feel so calm around him, even when we've hardly even talked." His eyes were turned away and a grin was now on his face.
my moon
and all my stars
OLIVER
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Well, getting better is good...what is it that keeps you up, on those nights?" Bastien knew he was likely asking too much at this point, but invasive personal questions were half of how he'd had most of the interesting conversations in his life. Besides, he was always willing to share the same information about himself back; any excuse to talk about himself was not something he'd turn down.

Was it awkward? Bastien certainly didn't think so, though as Oliver thought he was not really in the habit of feeling uncomfortable about things. "There are other ways to ask it. Other ways to tell, if you are careful. See if they are excited about spending time with you. Do they give you gifts at festivals? Do they ask how you are? Those would all be marks of a friend, I think." He'd never really had to question his friends. Since childhood, he'd been surrounded by at least several companions, usually close to at least some of them.

Politely he kept his eyes off Oliver as the boy described his obvious crush. "My, he sounds wonderful. The kind of person I'd like to have in the guild. I do wish you'd tell me the name."
But I keep rollin' on
Base Code by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
you are my sun
Luckily for Bastien, Oliver actually felt comfortable enough to tell the man. Besides, what could he even do with that kind of information? Absolutely nothing. Probably. Bastien didn't seem malicious, not at all. Humming, Oliver thought for a moment, trying to figure out how to actually word his worries. "A lot of it is stuff like...what I could've done instead...how I need to work harder. Lots and lots of just...worrying. And I also keep seeing, you know, the bad stuff. Like...when you came back hurt from the monsters or seeing all the carnage after Fiat Lux...stuff that just wont leave my mind." Hopefully Bastien wouldn't mind being directly mentioned. "I've been getting better though, before they were nightmares...now they're mostly just wandering thoughts." That part was mostly honest. He still had nightmares, but not nearly as bad or as vivid as they once were.

With the shift to friends, Oliver's awkwardness didn't dissipate. "Nobody....nobody has really given me anything at the festivals yet, not at least me in particular...I mean, Jigano gave me something during the gift exchange, but that's about it." And Jigano....Jigano wasn't quite a friend? He was a person Oliver liked, but he wouldn't call him a friend, not yet. The two hadn't gotten to know each other enough for that term to be used.

His shoulders would begin to relax, though, as the conversation shifted. Surprisingly, he felt the most comfortable talking about this. Just being himself and not having to worry about giving any names in specific. Even when Bastien tried to ask for one, Oliver wasn't too bothered. "Don't worry about it....I think I may invite him the next time we spend time together... he likes performance arts so maybe he would really like it here? I don't know if you dabble in that, though." No way was he going to give Bastien any names, nor would he confirm any. "It... it sucks though. He and were going to spend time together after Fiat Lux. I was so excited and then the monster came and...I haven't gotten the chance to be with him again."
my moon
and all my stars
OLIVER
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Ah, regrets and memories." Bastien certainly had enough of those himself. Perhaps none so extreme in his old life as the things he'd seen in Caido, but bad enough in their own way. Men he'd known well executed in the courtyards, nobles snickering at his work simply because of his skin, failing to save some of the more vulnerable artists in his care...all different kinds of pain, each remaining with him for a number of years. "There is no magical solution to this, though I am sure you are aware. It sounds like you already on the mend, though, as I believe the only thing that will help is time." Time and replacing the memories with better ones, though he couldn't provide those intentionally for anyone.

As for specific regrets Oliver had... "Do not worry about Longnight. I was panicked in the moment, but I understand your hesitation. After all, I have seen people ripped by the monsters. I know what we risk when we open the doors." He himself had been an advocate for keeping them locked no matter what in his first year in Caido, so he could hardly stay mad about it. Leaning over the table to find a blue pastel he began to carefully fill in the background space of his drawing.

"What was it Jigano gave you? I must admit I find the man a little uptight, but he is good enough." As for any other presents at festivals, it was hardly like he drowned in them himself every time. "What matters more surely is the quality of the gift you receive, rather than a large quantity."

Upon hearing that the mystery fellow liked to perform, Bastien's eyes lit up. "Ah, please do! I have a secret project coming up that will require performers, and to have more in the guild would be wonderful besides." It was his own speciality at the same level as painting, but he had had no opportunity to perform too much here. "If you like this man, go to him. Don't wait for fate to do it for you - go, find him."
But I keep rollin' on
Base Code by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
you are my sun
A frown appears on Oliver's face and he shakes his head. Almost all of what Bastien says sounds accurate and alright. It's sound advice, completely, but then he completely misunderstands what he means. It's not that Oliver feels like Bastien could've died, or it kind of is, but that's not what haunts his nightmares. "It's not really my hesitation itself. It's what it caused... I keep seeing your hurt body. The way you had been torn up and you were leaking fluid and- and it wasn't my fault, I know that... but it's so horrifying. To know that those creatures are right outside... and I can't do a damn thing about it." Oliver deserved to have Bastien be frustrated with him. His hesitation, while called for, was also childish. He was immature and under a narcissistic belief that Bastien would remember his name when really, he had absolutely nothing special about him to cause the man to remember him. He's lucky that the many even allowed him into the guild today seeing as he's one of the worst people to arrive to Caido.

Those thoughts linger in his mind, but he tries to remain positive. To stay upbeat and hopeful. "Jigano gave me some jewlery... it's really beautiful and someday, I'll have a nice event to wear it to... for now I wear it at home. It makes me feel nice and attractive." It's kind of embarrassing, but Oliver mostly makes himself look nice for, well, himself. He's slowly started to give up on others thinking he's attractive because what's really the point. There isn't a reason to make others think he's hot, so he mostly does it because it brings him confidence and meaning.

Taping his foot on the ground, Oliver's eyes shifted away. "What do I do? I mean... gods, he's so fantastic and... and I was going to do something. We were going to hang out and spend time together and then Fiat Lux just ruined everything. And I don't want to lose my chance again... please, I need advice." The words went unspoken, but Bastien would hopefully understand what Oliver wanted to do. "He is just...gods I could go on and on. The first time he met...he just understood me. He was so nice and sweet and he was just able to read me... and it felt so good." The words were hard to say, but the way the man made him feel? Words could never describe it.

Biting down on his lip, Oliver's eyes looked down at his lap and he tapped his foot anxiously again. What if he found out about his issue and laughed at him? No...he was too kind to do that, but still. Was he really worthy of even trying? His eyes couldn't even find Bastien's, clearly embarrassed by how pitiful he was, incapable of even forming proper sentences or asking directly what he wanted.
my moon
and all my stars
OLIVER
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien had indeed misunderstood Oliver's hang-ups over the night; because of his lack of blood, he'd always thought that it would not be that gory of a sight. After all, that red flash sparked human instinct and fear more than anything else, he thought. "...I see. We did all do something, though. We went inside, protected ourselves, protected those we loved as best we could. There are always things in life you cannot defeat. You work around them." He shrugged, personally far too used by now to monsters to resent their being around.

He found Oliver's use of jewellery baffling, as was obvious in the way he turned to look at him. "Why? Why not feel nice and attractive every day no matter where you are?"

With the next thing Oliver mentioned Bastien had begun to realise they were very different indeed, because once again he frowned, not understanding the root of his problem. "What is the advice you need? As I said. Go to him. Spend time together - if there is a good moment, kiss him. No one seduced anyone by sitting in a room far away speaking about them. I sought Rexanna out, we spent time together; in time we were half-naked in her corridor." He laughed, remembering the curious experimentation after he had first gained his fangs.
But I keep rollin' on
Base Code by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
you are my sun
Compared to others, Oliver felt like he had done so little. He could've done so much more, researched and planned and been more important. In no way was he ready to throw himself into the darkness of LongNight, to put himself at risk and be among the monsters... but there must be something else to be done. "I hope that we are able to grow then... and that I'll be far better in the next LongNight." Far better indeed. More powerful, far more trained. Then he could protect others within the safety of buildings. Stand guard properly at the doors and not get upset over the fact that Bastien didn't know his name. It was petty and foolish and he would not make the same mistake again.

There is a light shrug and his eyes drift away. "I do enjoy being nice and dressing well... it makes me feel confident and happy... but I also know that others judge me for it. They probably look at me as vain or stupid for caring so much about my looks, even if it brings me pride and joy to be who I am." It's silly that he deals with this, but he believes it to be true. There has to be people who look down on him simply for the fact that he wants to look well put together and attractive. Far less functional than what many align themselves too. "Is it wrong of me to care so much about that? It feels selfish, almost, that I want to look nice constantly." That he could be spending that one minute of adjusting his outfit towards something else.

Nibbling on his lip, he lets out a soft sigh. If only it were that easy. "I wish I could do that, but I don't want to kiss him and then ruin our friendship- not that I don't want to kiss him." He really did want to kiss Harper... and that alone was too much to admit. "I want to spend more time with him.... like a proper date... do I just ask bluntly? I feel like it's already obvious enough, considering I don't think I'm the most subtle with my feelings."
my moon
and all my stars
OLIVER
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"You have the time. Do not worry." Bastien waved a hand, sure that by the time next Longnight came around there would be a whole new host of problems to overcome, but that most of them would manage; surely some of them would also die, but...well. There was no point assuming it would be those he called friends.

The idea of being ashamed at your vanity...Bastien stared at Oliver. Bastien had always been one to revel in himself. "My God, do not let other's thoughts stop you, if they truly even do think that. You have a limited time to be alive and you will not always have the body you do now; adorn it best you can. It is your temple." He personally, even though he was wearing only his sleeping pants, still had made sure his hair was looking good and his eye had a quick pass of shimmer on the lids. "Being so self conscious will only hurt you in the end and not please those you want to."

It was becoming abundantly clear that he and Oliver were very different people. "Just ask the man. He'll either say yes or no, and if he says no there's no reason you can no longer be friends."
But I keep rollin' on
Base Code by Sky!
Blacksmith

Change author:
you are my sun
Bastien was right... Oliver did have time. "Hopefully by next LongNight, I'll be a bit more useful... who knows, maybe we could run some artsy stuff during LongNight, rather than just before it. I think it's something we really need." That's very presumptuous since who knows if Oliver will even live that long or even still be a member of the guild. It may be a bit too optimistic, but it's far better than being nothing but mopey.

The words of wisdom cause a smile to crack on Oliver's face and his cheeks lit up in a blush, clearly surprised by what Bastien tells him. "I mean, fuck Bastien- you didn't have to go that far." He giggles a small bit, clearly overwhelmed by the sudden speech that the other man gave him. Looks like he's discovered what Bastien is truly passionate about that isn't explicitly art. "I wont ever be as handsome as you... but maybe I'll be able to pull off that kind of confidence. I know dressing well makes me super happy, as does jewelry and making my hair nice... I just hope others wont view me as weak. Or weaker than I actually am." Speaking of which, Oliver really needed to get some muscles because fuck did he look like a toothpick.

While the two were very different, Oliver would still take on the advice given to him. Bastien was someone he could trust and maybe he needed a bit more confidence in his life. "I hope so. Harper doesn't seem like the guy to drop me. I just worry I'll be too overbearing... but I'll try. And if something happens? I'll let you know." Boy would he let Bastien know.
my moon
and all my stars
OLIVER
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Not a terrible idea! There will be those that find it distasteful, of course, but hopefully more who might find it useful." Maybe he could take some canvases and paint to the temple or wherever they would be staying, let the people work out their fears and frustrations through images...he was sure some fascinating work would come of it, if nothing else.

In Bastien's estimations he hadn't gone that far. Prone to exaggeration and theatrics as he was, he felt he was being rather mild. "Well, it is true you can never achieve this--" He put his hands around his face. "--But that doesn't mean you can't try." As for Oliver being weak...well, he only had enough patience for encouraging the young man so many times, and so left that one alone.

"I would love to hear. Why don't you go find him right now?" Bastien asked, wanting to encourage some spontaneity in his followers.
But I keep rollin' on
Base Code by Sky!