high koala-tee discoveries
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Age: 27 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 6 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Firebirb Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
For a brief moment, Libbs flashed an odd smile. Still a happy, grateful one. But this one was off. Just a little bit. It seemed a bit uneasy, and fragile, as if one wrong word or a careful graze of the wind threatened to steal it away. Something delicate flickered in her eyes for a brief moment before it was whisked away by the chirps of the gryphon. A quick headshake, and she laughed. "You ready to go on more adventures?" she grinned excitedly at the griffin, absent of the weakness a few moments ago, as if it had never happened.

She happily took her equipment. In fact, she even did some readjusting. "Hey, gimme a minute." she paused, tying the hoodie onto her waist, and shoving some of the loose tools inside. She then grabbed the toolwrap, and unraveled some velcro, revealing a sling that she tossed onto her shoulder. The bandana ended up getting twisted against her head, pulling her hair out of her face.

"Blue. I'll remember that." She looked around. "So.. which way?" she asked.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5225
He hadn't expected the silence to his joke, or the way she looked momentarily vulnerable and uncertain. She had been Healed with a touch and watched a fern grow from nothingness to full leaf in a matter of seconds, and been fine. But the word 'magic' made her uneasy? A conundrum indeed, though Jigano mused to himself that if she had some hangups about magic in general she would at least fit right in with many of the Naturals here. It was Isuma, as always, who saved the day and chirruped a gryphonish affirmative to Libbs's question, responding to the excited tone more than a complete understanding of the words.

"She's always ready for an adventure!" Jigano assured the newcomer brightly, waiting for her to get herself sorted out and tickling Isuma while she did so.

"This way," he beckoned, heading off towards the south, a path that would skirt the edge of the Spire on their way to the Settlement. "There's a shrine here - just over there," he pointed to the spiral of white stones and the rough altar at their center. "If you want to pray to the gods at some point. The ones here are likely to actually answer in the flesh though - so to speak." He offered her a lopsided smile. "I don't know if religion played much part in your life before, but you may find it hard to avoid, here. A good rule of thumb is to always be respectful, just in case. They might provide guidance or blessings... but they can curse you, too, if you aren't careful," he warned. "Or even just because you caught them on a bad day."
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Age: 27 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Libbs nodded, very thoughtful on the comment. "Who are the gods?" she responded after a moment or two. "And why do they have bad days? I mean, if someone's rude I can see why. I'd be mad too if someone started calling me names or something. I may not CURSE them persay, but... um, I would probably give them some very disapproving looks!" she remarked. "And, bad days don't just happen for no reason. Usually it's rooted somewhere. Like- maybe it's super cold. Or.. or maybe you're hungry. I get crabby when I'm hungry."

She thought for a moment. "Maybe they need a hug! Sometimes the lil' bit of affection helps. In my world, they used to train animals for that sort of thing, cause there was a lot of scary stuff out there, and having someone nearby to help with it could be really useful. They usually used dogs cause dogs are SUCH GOOD BOYS." she reminisced, clasping her hands together. "Perhaps these shrines just need some good boys is all." she mumbled.

She reached up to give Isuma a scritch, finding doting on the bird absolutely irresistible.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Her question was an excellent one for a newcomer, but her rambling thoughts after had Jigano blinking in bemusement as they walked along and he tried to follow her skipping train of consciousness. He just let her run until she wound down, considering the response Safrin would have if he brought her a puppy by way of reconciliation.

Considering she'd taken Remi for Ronin's defiance, she was just as apt to smite the poor dog as she was to smite him, he decided with a faint grimace. And no pup deserved that, no matter how many messes it made on the rug.

Back to her first question, then. "There are eight gods of Caido," he began slowly, ordering his thoughts as Isuma abandoned him to perch on Libbs's shoulder and rub against her cheek in silent demand for more scritches. "At least, that I know of. We don't know much about the oldest god, Caido itself, who also gives the world its name. They've been... absent for quite some time. But there are three Old Gods who remain: Vi, god of life and sparker of souls; Rae, god of nature and catalyst of change; and Mort, god of death and gatherer of souls that have finished their time upon the world." He paused to give Libbs a crooked smile. "Don't let the job title fool you. Mort is said to be the kindest and most loving of the gods, while Vi is depicted as being rather stern and somewhat aloof."

That was four down, and four to go. More or less. The day was hot, but the temperature in the Glade was comfortable in the shade as they walked beneath green boughs. "Each of the Old Gods is served by a younger god. Vi's herald is Safrin, a beautiful and capricious goddess associated with stars as much as life. Rae's herald is Frey, a being that encourages the pursuit of pleasure and, ah, fertility. And Mort's herald is Ludo, a masked god who can be both playful and dangerous, and who guides the souls of the deceased to Mort's gentle realm. Ludo prefers cats to dogs, I think," he added as an afterthought, considering how delighted the ragged herald had been with Isuma.

Which just left... "The youngest of the gods, though, is the Voice. She was mortal, once, but found a way to use a combination of magic and technology to Ascend herself to godhood over three hundred years ago. She warred with the Old Gods and rather than kill her they choose to contain her for the past three centuries - there," he paused pointing to the Spire that rose far above the tops of the trees in the distance. "Suffice to say she resisted and created something that makes portals, bringing in people from distant worlds and times, even across universes, in the hopes that they might free her.

A year ago, they succeeded."
He looked over to Libbs to see how she was taking this tale as they made their way down a well-worn path through the trees that would lead them closer to, and eventually past, the Spire.
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
Libbs look absolutely enraptured by the story, her head following his fingers as he pointed out various landmarks and described these gods in more detail. Some inner part of her was skeptical. It was almost as if she had been thrust into some video game of sorts. Gods. Magic. And come to think of it.. what was a video game anyways? Either way, Jigano seemed to be a truthful sort. Why else would he have to lie to her? Besides, he could do the magic thing with plants! If that was real, then surely, so were the gods!

"So.. is it a good thing to meet a god? Or not?" she mumbled. "They sound kind of.. extreme. All of them do. And the last one.. the Voice lady or whatever.." she rubbed her chin. "So she's probably the reason why I'm here, right? Well.. if she summoned people to free her, and if she's ALREADY free.. well, why am I here? Is there others like me too that have come through?" she asked. Because that indeed did seem a bit strange.

"Do you think she knows where I came from? Or who I am?" she continued, her sable gaze moving to the silhouette of the Spire. Her gaze took a deep, critical countenance, as she looked back at Jigano. "Because don't get me wrong, I like it here so far.. but.. I.. feel like I left during something important. And I got a sinkin' feeling about it. And I.. I want to know what I left behind. Make sense? What if I need to go back?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"That depends," he said wryly, thinking that her question got right to the heart of the matter. "On if they like you or not." Which led back to the gods having bad days, and not knowing what to expect when they first met someone... though as Libbs clearly wasn't Ascended she was significantly less likely to get cursed from the old gods. "But 'extreme' is a good enough description. They're all somewhat... hmm. Elemental? In nature, from what I've seen. But they're not human, and expecting them to be is... a mistake." He controlled his tone as he said it, remembering Safrin's chains and the whip of her words as she lashed his heart.

The cascade of questions hadn't slowed, however, and his recent discovery from Maea spun uncomfortably in his gut. "We don't really know," he admitted, grimacing faintly in apology that he didn't have all the answers for his new companion. "Maybe there isn't a way to turn the device or... whatever it is... off. She might not have thought that far ahead. Consequences and worrying about others getting hurt don't seem to be her strong suit, if you aren't one of her Ascended. Though..." He paused, thinking back to other Outlanders that had arrived since the barrier had fallen. Many had been Accepted, Abandoned, Attuned... but some... "She doesn't seem to have control over how people arrive here. The human races, the mages and shapeshifters and normal humans... and Ascended, no matter what you were on your home world, here you belong to one of those groups. Outlanders like us find themselves in bodies or with powers that usually have something in common with one of those groups. She may be continuing to draw more and more people here in the hopes that some will arrive in Ascended bodies, ready to do her bidding." Which meant Libbs and those like her were collateral. Not the most reassuring train of thought, and he winced as she continued to ask more and more.

And that led to the least favorite part of greeting new arrivals. His expression softened to sympathy as he shook his head slightly. "No. I don't think so. She might be able to look through your memories if you meet her, but so many of us have been plucked from so many different worlds... from our lives. From friends and families and responsibilities. But... no. No one I know of has been able to find a way back, and she has refused or been unable to send any of us back. The thing which makes the portals seems to be separate from her," if Maea's vision were true, at least, "and she no longer controls or oversees it. You aren't the first to arrive with lost of jumbled memories, though. For most, they seem to return gradually, as time passes." Cold comfort, but Isuma did what she could to encourage Libbs, purring hard against her cheek as the gryphlet wrapped a fluffy tail around the woman's throat like a scarf and offered her support to their newest friend.
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
Libbs looked a bit dismally to the ground at the answer she was given. That didn't do too well. She leaned her head towards Isuma, pushing her head into the gryphon's chest and reaching up to stroke whatever part of her she could reach, be it the tail or her neck. In a way, it made her a bit anxious, her fingers cringing at the thought of being.. lost. She looked up at Isuma. "But, I'm not the only one right? There's others I can.. relate with?" she asked, hopeful.

"And.. what should I do now then?" she paused.

After a brief moment.. she beckoned Isuma to crawl down into her arms for a nice, long, fluffy hug. It was gentle, but tight, as if she was using Isuma as an anchor of sorts. A hand wrapped a hand around Isuma's head, scratching the back of her neck and her ears as she breathed into the top of her head, letting Isuma's soft plumage distract her from her slightly harrowing thoughts for but a moment.

She opened her eyes, uneasy, but she would close them firmly again, forcing them down and pushing a smile, stressed and protesting to her face. "I guess, I'll figure it out. Maybe you can teach me some of those gardenin' tips of yours, and I can be a gardener this time. Or maybe, I'll go find me a friend like Isuma, and we'll go on adventures together. Right? " she asked the gryphon, who seemed to respond well to the commentary. "One way, or another- it's not over yet. 'Sides, maybe it was a good thing I got teleported over huh!?" she chirped, trying to force that optimism to stay at it's peak.

"So, how does this Settlement thing here work? What's it like?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He couldn't help but wince as Libbs grew visibly dejected at his side, even though Isuma cuddled up against her and purred mightily to try and cheer her up. The little gryphon didn't understand why her new friend was so sad, but she was happy to let Libbs scratch and pet her if it made the young woman feel better. "There are many," Jigano assured her gently, offering her a small, encouraging smile. "Including myself. I've only been here for a year and a half, since I fell through a portal on my world." Her next question was less easy, but he took a deep breath and nodded.

"Well, let's get you to the Settlement first. We'll find you a safe place to stay while you get your feet under you, and in the meantime you can learn as much about this place as you can, and try to regain the memories of your old world. What you did there, if you worked a trade that could help you here... that sort of thing." The tools he could see poking out of her kit were fascinating; some simple and identifiable but others - like what she'd showed him earlier - not.

Isuma happily obliged the silent request for a hug, rubbing her soft cheek against Libbs' face as she rumbled like a little engine at the scritching, and Jigano smiled softly at them both. "I'd be happy to teach you what I can," he said softly. "I have a Guild here, a group of like-minded people, called the Loreseekers. We're always asking questions and learning new things to trade and share with others. When you have questions, you can always come find us. We're in the basement of the big building with the domed roof, the one filled with books. Once you see the Sanctuary you'll recognize it." Isuma chirped agreement that she'd be up for adventures with Libb, and for making new friends!

The bard nodded agreement with the young woman's determined attitude, his smile widening as Isuma wriggled, trying to free herself enough to stand up in Libbs' hands and place gentle talons on the girl's shoulder so she could give the human a gentle headbutt. "Maybe!" he agreed. "This is like a new start. A chance to make new friends and become... well, whatever you want to be." Perhaps literally, if she chose to Attune.

The last question was the most open-ended and the one that earned a wry chuckle. "Well, it's not much to look at, I'm afraid. This place has seen a tough few centuries. The Settlement was once much larger, but the population has... dwindled, and so large areas of it lie in ruins. But there is a bustling market district with the local artisans, many homes in the area called the Domiciles, and the Sanctuary which..." He paused for a moment, remembering the too-recent destruction of the Temple. "Which holds the Atheneum and Infirmary, if you need medical attention. Money isn't used here, but rather a system of barter. You can trade in objects you make, food you hunt or collect, skills you can offer... or even just future favors or manual labor like chopping wood or washing dishes."
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
The pep talk was working. Libbs seemed to regain a bit of bounce in her step, and smiled quietly. "You are a good friend, Isuma. Both of you are. I don't know you both very well, but, I'm really grateful that y'all found me out here today. I think I would've been fine- maybe?" she paused. "But I would have been scared. Pretty sure I would've been lonely, and confused. And lost." she confirmed, giving Isuma the freedom to roam around on her. Isuma was surprisingly light.

"But I'll tell ya what! I don't forget. I may've forgotten now, but I thunked myself pretty good. I won't forget. Maybe I'll come visit you in your tower. Become one of those 'loreseekers' one day. Help other lost people like me. Or maybe I'll remember what I was good at, and make you something. Maybe I used to make things. That's what these tools tell me." she nodded thoughtfully. "But, I won't forget! I owe ya one."

She continued walking along, the strength returning back into her steps. "What.. are some things that are valuable to trade? Do you know? Cause I don't really have much on me. And I don't wanna give up my tools yet. I think they're gonna be helpful to have me figure out what's going on you know?" she nodded.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Then it's a good thing you aren't lonely or lost, even if things are still confusing," Jigano smiled back at her. "Two out of three isn't bad! And I still get confused sometimes, too. So you won't be the only one dealing with that, either." Isuma was perfectly happy to explore Libbs's shoulders while they walked, Reeping proudly as Jigano silently relayed a more emotional sense of their new friend's words to the little gryphon.

"We'd love to have you," he encouraged, grinning at her promise of remembering (and maybe a little at the irony of it). "That's part of why I started the guild, after all. I arrived alone, with no one to help me. So since then, I've done what I can to help other new Outlanders I come across, to give them a little better start in this world. It's hard enough to get by, even with a few friends." Caido was rarely forgiving of mistakes. There was no telling how many Outlanders arrived, only to promptly pluck a Gilded Lily, or get ensnared by a Wicker Woman, or run into a banshee, or just have the sheer bad luck to run into an aggressive bear or other wild animals. "You don't need to do anything special, though I'm grateful for the thought." His smile warmed, for Libbs seemed to be a genuinely good person.

Her questions were growing more focused and insightful, and Jigano nodded approvingly as she began thinking ahead for what she would need. "I do, and I agree. You should keep them at least until you remember what they do. As for valuable things... food is always good. If you can hunt or fish or make snares or traps, meat is welcome both here and in Halo. If you come to the Atheneum tomorrow I can have a page of descriptions of nuts and mushrooms that you could gather... and what to avoid," he added wryly. "Finished goods are usually worth more than raw materials, and you might be able to scavenge things from the Ruins, but that's a dangerous place and you shouldn't go there alone. Not at first, at least. Hmm. And of course, just physical labor is often welcome, if someone needs help digging a well or weeding a garden or chopping wood." He smiled encouragingly at her. "That might be a good place to start, until you can find a niche that suits you."
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
Libbs nodded, looking down at the tools with a stern, almost piercing gaze. As if she was willing the answer out of the items in question. A screwdriver was held in place for a brief moment, twirling in her fingers. Suddenly, her eyes glittered with a little bit of mischief, looking to Isuma and Jigano with a giddy, childish smile. Her eyes squinted as she grinned, and she chuckled. "Here I am fixtated on these tools. But watch: I'm going to remember what they are, and find out that they're some elaborate cat toys and I was some crazy cat lady in a past life." she laughed heartily, before her gaze lit up. Something was in the distance. Smoke! And that must have meant..

"I think that's that Settlement place you were talkin' about yeah?" she jumped up and down, pointing off in that direction. She squeaked in excitement, her hair flopping into her face as she jumped. She started to rush ahead, though, not TOO far ahead, it'd be rude to leave her new friend in the dust after all! And together, they set foot in the settlement, thus concluding Libb's first day in Caido.

{FIN}