[open SE] let me tell you about the sun...
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 847
MAEA
Oh. Oh, the time of miracles had not yet passed. Wessex actually laughed (sort of) and Maea's eyes widened a touch at the sound. Had she done something right for once? Her returning smile was puzzled, but no less genuine, and the gratitude was accepted with a little shrug; nothing to thank for.

"I have not, no" she replied to the question about the tradition, and glanced to Libbs with head slightly tilted to see if the other woman had come across it. "I'd love to hear it, if you don't mind."

Pushing a few twigs and rocks away from the ground, Maea sat down with crossed legs, making herself as comfortable as she could. There was a gleam if interest in her eyes as she focused them on Wessex once more. Ever she had loved stories, true or made up. This would not be the first time she sat by the feet of others to listen, and there was a familiarity in it that contrasted sharply with her other memories; for once, it was a good recollection.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Age: 27 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 6 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Firebirb Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
LIBBS
Libbs looked to Maea as she sat on the ground. Was.. she supposed to? She shot her a bewildered look, as if to say, 'why are you doing that?' She was going to get her lovely attire all dirty! If Libbs sat on the ground, it wouldn't be so bad. She was a grease monkey. But Maea looked like one of those fairy princesses that you'd see in a children's cartoon! It was almost as if on some level she was expecting some magical stump to appear out of the ground and sit the lovely lady. Needless to say, she didn't join Maea on the ground. Instead, she scratched the back of her neck, and looked to Wessex.

"I haven't either, but hey! I'm game to hear. Everyone in town's talkin' about it." she smiled happily. She walked over to a nearby tree, leaning back onto it, and sliding both of her hands into her pockets, looking at Wessex with her full attention. "It'd be kinda cool to hear what the fuss is about."
let's run off to costa rica
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
WESSEX
Well, she has her audience now. It’s unexpected and entirely unorthodox, but the girls are there all the same. That’s what counts. While they situate themselves, Wessex harkens back to the day a year ago when many of them gathered around Ianto for story time, the fox weaving a childlike fairytale before their very ears. “It’s nothing remarkable,” she begins, crossing her own legs upon her large, round seat. “But as the days grow longer and the nights grow shorter, there is a great excitement amongst the Fae of the Greatwood. Our winged neighbors to the North have a most peculiar tradition, born in the belief that it is they who are responsible for light of Longheat.”

Chuckling lightly, Wessex shrugs. “We know this is impossible, of course, but what can it hurt? In catching the sun they hold it here, precariously tethered by baskets and nets and anything that may hold its golden rays. They distract Safrin with prayers and songs, hoping that the lady of the stars will keep her eyes on the people instead of on her duties, thereby warding off the nights of Changeleaf and Deepfrost for as long as possible.” And with Deepfrost, LongNight - but ah, that is a dark story for another time.

“And on the longest day of the year, there is a massive party in the Greatwood. Bring your baskets and your gifts and celebrate the sun and all it has given us before they release it to resume its journey again.” The short tale comes to an end, and Wessex looks back to her unconventional pupils with a light expression, open for questions but not really expecting any.
No, I’ll be the stone
I’ll be the hunter, a tower that casts the shade
I lie awake and watch it all
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
Well. That was certainly interesting. Perhaps not the long, winding and flowery tale Maea might have hoped for, but perhaps she was more remiss for thinking anything like that might come out of Wessex. Still, it was an interesting piece of lore, and the girl was nothing if not Jigano's student.

"Very interesting... Do you know anything of how the traition originated? Perhaps how the Fae came to take up such a belief, or how it has endured and changed over the years? I wonder if there is a specific kind of gift you should bring... does the story say anything about what is good to give?"

Her eyes were suddenly quite keen. Bright and curious, and perhaps even a little confident in the way she regarded the Elder. Like she suddenly knew exactly what to do, compared to before.

Turning to Libbs, she asked with a smile, "Have you heard any similar stories before, where you are from?"
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Age: 27 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LIBBS
Libbs nodded, definitely paying attention to Wessex's explanation. To Maea, it may have not seemed like a lot. But to Libbs? Well, she was completely new here! "So that's why everyone's in a huff. They're trying to keep the sun up. I take it winter's not very popular around here is it?" she commented. Not that it would surprise her. Libbs was definitely a summer child, through and through. If she could live in a world of never-ending summer, she probably would with no qualms. Her bucketlist included trips to Hawaii and a garden. Yeah, she was that extra.

Hearing Maea ask her questions, Libbs blinked for a moment thoughtfully. Good question. She then asked her a question.

"I.. I think so? Actually, no, I don't. I don't think we have anything like that. All we got is some crazy ritual in the spring where we hunt decorated eggs with a basket. Filled with candy and stuff. Not a lot of holidays happened in the summer, except for one's honoring the parents, like Mother's day.. Father's day. Oh- and we had our country's independence day. But nothing quite that magical." Libbs informed her.

"It's kind of neat though!"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
Shaking her head, Wessex doesn’t dwell on the fact that she knows absolutely nothing about the origin of the myth. “Nope. The Fae are insular and before now have spent more time fighting each other than not. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Festival was historically a rare moment of peace between the Sidhe and Stonesong clans, but I’m also not on good terms with any of the Fae.” So if she wants answers - and why those matter, she can’t fathom - Maea will have to go to the winged folk themselves. Turning to Libbs, Wessex makes a face. “Deepfrost brings LongNight. It seems to be limited to the Ground, but it’s a week of no sun and murderous monsters. It’s a nightmare. So, no. We dread it all year.

“As for what to bring… just a second.” Wessex blinks out of sight in front of them, teleporting back to her shack and rummaging around for a couple of things before teleporting back. In her hands are two things: a small pouch, which she proceeds to dump a couple of red, particularly beautiful stones from, and a candle with a sun burned in to two ‘sides.’ “You can bring anything, really - I got these from Melita last year and am bringing this,” she indicates the candle. That is, if they let her in.

Then back to Libbs, who’s describing some of her home world’s traditions.Who.. decorates eggs? And then hunts them? “Sounds… odd,” she says with a tilt of her head.

Seriously, she will never understand Outlanders.
No, I’ll be the stone
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
She considered the answers just as Wessex disappeared, and then reappeared again moments later. The wide-eyed almost hungry stare suggested Maea was dying to ask about it, but also that she was not over-eager to drag this out beyond the point of almost-civility they'd somehow managed to find.

Still, seeing the items the woman showed them, she smiled. Nodded, as she made to stand up. "Sounds like a tradition that is going to take root, especially if there is gift giving involved," she remarked. "No doubt I'm going to be dragged into it... Perhaps it's as good a time to start looking for gifts myself. Or what do you say, Libbs? At least that bit is somewhat similar to your custom." Perhaps treats would suffice for people she was not too closely acquainted with... and even though it would definitely put a dent in her accounts, Maea knew it would be worth the expense to see her friends smile again.

"Thank you for telling us about this, Wessex. It was nice," she said, and actually meant it. "Perhaps we can do it again sometime."

And to make sure she didn't push her luck, Maea nodded to the two women and made to leave. Before the good mood could spoil, or she said something to make the Ascended glare daggers at her again.

------

- Maea out! Thank you <3
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
LIBBS
Libbs turned to Maea. "Not to Easter. Easter was a very.. how do I put it? Strict holiday. Very religious and stuff. The egg hunting was more to keep the kids busy, because no kid wants to be holed up and yelled at for a day." Libbs curved a lip. "Though, I don't think anyone would get mad about treats. Food's a pretty good start when it comes to gift giving. Just gotta make sure that, you know, they ain't allergic.. or it tastes bad." she nodded. "Though, thanks for the insight, Wessex." She hung on the name, as if she was still double checking to make sure it sounded right in her mouth.

Because it was a cool name, and she'd feel very silly messing it up.

"Sounds like it could be a lotta fun, even if I don't wholly get it. Least it'll keep my hands from getting too idle." she grinned between the two, before watching Maea head off. "Oh.. Bye Maea!" she waved her hand excitedly at the white girl, watching her fade back into the woods.

"She seems nice. Quiet though. Though, I suppose, you were busy bringing those somewhere yeah? I can let ya be if ya want. I was just doin' some exploring. Didn't mean to bother ya!" she nodded, placing both hands on her hips and giving a firm head shake.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Offering a quiet smile to Maea in semi-agreement, Wessex nods farewell as the albino takes her leave. Which means that the chatterbox and herself are alone. “Well… the Fae are a unique lot,” she says with maybe more acidity than she’d originally intended. Personal bias and all that jazz. And Wessex has a lot of personal bias. Her gaze drifts back to where Maea disappeared into the outskirts as Libbs brings her up again, refraining from saying anything on that particular topic.

“No bother. Shouldn’t spend too much time in my head, anyway.” it’s not the happiest place. She isn’t busy, though, so Wessex simply shakes her head, dismissing the idea that she’d been in the middle of taking something somewhere. “If you wanna hang around, I’m ok with it. How are you finding Caido?”

It doesn’t seem like this girl will be a power player, but it can’t hurt to make a decent impression.
No, I’ll be the stone