Personal Quest ghosts in the machine
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
As Oia’i’o’s words washed over him, Loren stilled. Finally, he lifted his head from Astra’s fur, the only sign of his tears perhaps a lingering redness in his eyes. ”I relayed to you exactly what she told me.” The summoner’s tone was politely chilly once more. The luxere let out an anxious bleat, so he gave her a comforting rub before standing up.

The Launceleyn's face was expressionless as the rest of the instructions were read off. Despite Astra's distress over his once again subdued mood, he nudged her into position with both his hands and his mind. When the daughter of Rae said freeze, his companion tried to break free, but he kept a hand on her, trying to radiate a comfort he didn't feel. For her part, she let out another anxious bleat. I don't like this anymore. I want to move. Why won't you let me move?

His eyes tightened. It's temporary. And it's helping Kai and Oia. You like Kai and Oia. She settled down, but he could still feel her unhappiness.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Online
Change author:
MP: 2712
first off, you should know, that my light's on but i ain't home
He remains rather indifferent toward what’s going on between the demi-gods and Loren, and with it he continues to scratch at Haai’s cheek, giving a bit of love from where he previously hadn’t paid too much attention to her. She seems content enough, paws and talons collected together around her center as he listens to Oia give her next instruction.

Mentally, he tells Haai to remain still, that they’re going to make it so she can’t move, but to not let her panic while they do it. And for the most part, the griffin understands, content to sit there and stare up at the sky and over at Kai and Oia while Sunjata holds her close like a small child. He waits to see if it works, and Haai seems far more content than he would be if he were in the same situation.
up high, but i stay low
SuNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Questions were asked of Sunjata and Loren, but none were directed at he and Isuma, so the bard assumed that the twins were satisfied with his answers. He amused the gryphon by teasing her with a leaf that she batted at and tried to bite, though he paused when he glanced up to see Loren curled so closely around Astra. He didn’t say anything, but sent another pulse of support through the Attuned bond to his friend before Oia’I’o spoke again, giving a new set of directions.

”Freeze… in time?” he asked cautiously, unfamiliar with that ability. He frowned a little at this treatment of the companions, seemingly forcing them against their will to be still or move. Treating them like dolls or automatons to pose…

But though he didn’t yet know Oia’i’o, he didn’t think Kai would do anything to hurt Isuma or the others so he nodded slowly.

”Isuma, we’re going to play a game, okay?” he said softly, turning his smile down on her as she looked around at the gathered humans with curious golden eyes. ”Can you stay as still as a rock? Like when we were practicing hunting? Kai is going to try and move you, like… like Maea can move things with her mind, but he’s going to try and move you. Do your best to stay still and try not to let him.”

Will there be a bug to pounce on after? She tilted her head up at him hopefully and he grinned.

”After this is over we can hunt beetles until sundown,” he promised her, resting a hand gently on her back, scratching at the joints between her wings as she settled herself into a mirror of Haai’s position and grew so still the only thing that moved were her sides as she breathed, fascinated and curious as to what Kaimana would try.

Isuma sits still and tries to hold herself from moving against whatever Kai tries to do.
Scientist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
kaimana
how beautiful the leaves grow old

You're not sure what is going on with Oia and Loren, but it sets you a little on edge. Maybe it's the fact that he's so very expressive and inconsistent with his emotions, like an abstract painting of colors strewn with wild abandon across a page. You're never exactly sure what you're looking at, and it's always a little different.

Oia, meanwhile, is a scientific illustration with clearly delineated labels written in a careful, consistent hand.

All you can do is push on through it, your attention focused on maintaining the magic to keep the companions sentient. And now you need to add another power, which will only prove a greater challenge.

One by one you attempt to animate the companions, following Oia's lead. As their bodies are (partially) suspended in time you reach out with power like a shimmering silk, gently coaxing movement from the muscle and bone.

And though they resist, you find it is possible to move them - with varying success. Isuma resists a little, but you are able to flex and extend her paws, demonstrating the delicate power within. Haai is the easiest, her forelimbs rising and dancing playfully despite the strength of Sunjatas mind. And Astra, well, she scarcely moves at all, except for a ripple of muscle beneath her fur.

You glance at Oia, a silent, communicative look. Fascinating.

But now it's time for the next test. Standing up you release the animation, a sheen of sweat upon your brow. "Ok- now companions are gonna stay with ma, an' people are gonna go with Oia. An' when you can't hear your companion anymore I mark how far away you are, k?"

how full of light and color are their last days
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 4 - Int:
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
"But you're crying and sitting on the ground." You argue. And, given the long looks between summoner and luxere, you don't in fact believe that he's transmitting everything. In the margins of your notebook you indicate that most of Loren's testimony and the data supplied ought to be taken as anecdotal.

Before you freeze each companion you tip them a wink. You adore them all of course, finding it immensely easier to deal with them than their human-animal counterparts. And so as Kai meets your gaze you're a bit jarred to see a spark of human-animal intelligence there as well as boyish whimsy, where before the eyes of the trio of companions had been decidedly different.

"bye" You mouth to each of the companions as they follow Kai. Slowly you turn around to face the unknown man with white hair. the tallest of them, Sunjata, and then Loren. You do your best not to reveal how uncomfortable you are, though it's abundantly obvious. Your wide blue eyes grow ever more saucer-like as you stare somewhere near everyone's feet unwilling and unable to make eye contact. Reaching for a strand of hair behind your ear, you begin to anxiously pull and tug in a rhythm that you find soothing. "Kai and I have a system worked out...silently speak with your companion. When the bond grows faint let me know. When it ceases to be heard and felt at all, be sure to let me know that the moment it happens."

No order!
OIA'I'O
see the world as it is, not as you are.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Haai seems incredibly content, and it surprises Sunjata enough that he remains still as well – watching as her forelimbs rise and dance playfully, her tongue lolling out the side of her mouth as she pants lightly. And once the companions are unfrozen, Sunjata’s gaze lifts back to Kai. Haai fidgets within his arms, before he lets her go enough to jump onto the ground and pad over toward Kai, babbling something about how she likes that his hair can sprout nests. He tells her that she needs to follow Kai, and to keep telling him all the things he likes about Kai and Astra and Isuma while she does.

She has no complaints.

Sunjata looks to Oia next, following the instructions she gives, nodding – Haai continuing her babbling talk that grows somewhat fainter the more and more distance that is put between them. He finds his way closer to Oia’s side, ducking down only a small amount because gods she’s tall. “I wanted to tell you I’m sorry about what happened at Fiat Lux.” A quiet comment while they wait, steel gaze lingering over her face briefly as Haai’s words continue to grow fainter and fainter, until after some time there’s almost a small hiss of a sound until it’s gone.

Ah, I can’t hear her anymore.” An accented rumble leaves him, arms folding across his chest as if to say ‘so… now what?’
up high, but i stay low
SuNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Loren closed his eyes and took a deep breath. ”I’m sorry. I’ve had a...it’s been...sorry.” When he opened his eyes, his expression had slipped into something truly neutral, the last dregs of emotion having drained (or been forced) away.

As soon as Astra was released, she pressed herself against him. He gathered her in his arms and made soothing noises until she was fully calm. When Kai explained that he was going to take the companions, the summoner gave the luxere firm instructions to follow the son of Rae and stick with the other companions. Astra was excited to be on the move, early discomfort already forgotten.

She trotted off, and kept up a steady stream of everything she saw and what the other companions and Kai did. The Launceleyn kept his face blank, though he noted when her voice began to fade. When she disappeared completely, he spoke, right on the heels of Sunjata as it turns out. ”I can’t hear her anymore.” Loren made sure he spoke loudly and clearly, without inflection.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Isuma was not, Jigano knew, the most focused of minds, even now. He loved her for that as much as everything else about her, though, and wasn’t disappointed when her limbs moved against her will, even when she peeped dismay at the strange sensation. As soon as Oia’I’o released her he gathered her into his arms, stroking her soothingly until Kai and his sister were ready to continue.

After the last experiment, Isuma was less sanguine about leaving him behind, but he encouraged her to go with Haai and Astra, at least, and she followed reluctantly, looking over her shoulder as she expressed a flicker of doubt. This wasn’t as much fun as hunting, or tricking the dogs, or playing with the baby goats. But… she did like being with her fellow gryphon and the young luxere, and after a few moments her native optimism began to rise to the fore again as she frolicked alongside Astra and nuzzled up to Haai.

Jigano, meanwhile, went to stand by Loren, a pulse of worry slipping through the Attuned bond as the Launceleyn mage pushed his emotions down and away. It didn’t seem the time or place to explore them, however, so he simply kept his mind on Isuma until her cheerful rambling became too attenuated to hear anymore. ”I—“ he started to say, at the same time as the other men. He waited for them to finish before nodding to the tall woman. ”I also can’t hear her now.”
Scientist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
kaimana
how beautiful the leaves grow old

As the companions gather around you to make their way into the woods you are careful to greet each one with reassurance, your fingers coiling in their fur or scratching behind their ears, your shoulders ready for the griffins to land upon should they wish, your hand placed gently on Astra's withers.

It's partially to keep them all happy and content. But it's also partially to easy your own anxious, guilty heart.

If you could have sent Oia with the companions you would have, you really really would. But your magic maintains their sentience, and you'd already agreed to do it this way. Still, your sister's downcast gaze and clear unhappiness tugs with painful acuity at your thoughts.

Picking up young, green stick, you twirl it anxiously between your fingers as you lead your merry band of animals deeper into the woods. If only you could be with her always, like you used to, never leaving her to face the world alone. You would be constant, reassuring, a grounding presence for all those times when she felt overwhelmed and lost in the world. You would help her with her experiments all of the time, and protect her from the people who couldn't understand that there is nothing wrong with how she thinks, how she acts- only with their ability to empathize with her.

- Suddenly you have the most incredible and awesome idea anyone has ever had, and focusing on the experiment becomes really really hard.

One by one the companions indicate to you that the bond with their humans has gone silent. You've been counting the steps as you proceed, and when the last one tugs gently at your sleeve you obediently turn around, the stick held closely against your chest. It's becoming exhausting to maintain the magic, but for Oia you'll do it as long as you need, pouring yourself into this experiment with every ounce of ability you have.

You pick up the pace on the way back to the humans, urging the companions to hurry along. You're incredibly excited to report your findings, and not just the ones that have to do with this study. Practically bounding back to the river's edge you jump/hop/skip to stop in front of Oia, the stick clutched tight against your chest.

In one long breath you report your findings, hardly able to contain yourself. "Isuma-an-Haai-stopped-hearin'-at-32-meters-an'-Astra-at-29-an'-I-was-thinkin'-'bout-it-an'---"

With a sharp, deep inhale, you extend your arms out toward your sister, opening your palms to display your accomplishment:

A stick of oak with vibrant eyes and an almost humanoid face, all your love and all your magic poured in to give it sentience. A spriggan, a companion, a guard for your sister.

A promise that you'll be with her always, even if you're not.

"Its name is Meraki. An' it's gonna be your companion. So you'll never ever be alone, even when I'm not there."

The bond between Loren and Astra went silent at 29 meters. The bond between Sunjata/Haai and Jigano/Isuma went silent at 32. In general, you now know the bond lasts approximately 30m.

Kai has released his magic from your companions! Over the next 10 minutes their sentience will fade down to normal levels.

Oia'i'o has gained a Spriggan companion named Meraki!

how full of light and color are their last days
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 4 - Int:
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
Nervously you look at Sunjata. It's strange looking up at someone, given how tall you are. Something about his height is stilling; you swallow and nod. "It's fine. Kai explained you were trying to help." The chaos just made everything so loud, you want to explain. But perhaps another time.

Notebook out, you seem to be counting something, or are at least mentally aware of something other than the men before you. Loren speaks first, then Sunjata and Jigano almost at the same time. "Interesting." You murmur, looking up, and then turning around. It shouldn't take long based on what you've recorded for Kai to return. And sure enough your twin emerges with the strangest gaggle of companions.

Recording Kai's blur of speech with the ease of long-practice, you look up as he grows surprisingly quiet. It isn't like him to simply stop talking, especially in the midst of explaining his findings. You immediately notice why, seeing what appears to be a stick in his hands. But no, not a stick. As it moves you see a face, arms and legs. "Spriggan." You whisper automatically, identifying the creature. "But...Spriggans don't...they don't look...they aren't..." You don't understand this, and your garbled questions show it.

"How?" You wonder, forgetting the remainder of your experiment. And then, "Meraki?" You like how the word sounds on your tongue. It sounds familiar. It sounds like Kai.

PQ Completed! Thanks all! Posting can just be normal now if anyone likes
OIA'I'O
see the world as it is, not as you are.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
He nods to her, because that’s exactly what he was trying to do – to get them away from the chaos. But it’s lost among the flurry of Loren mentioning that he can’t hear Astra any longer, and Jigano and himself mentioning they can’t hear their companions anymore either. But soon enough, Kai is returning with companions in tow, explaining how far they’d gotten before she couldn’t hear him any longer either.

It makes sense, he decides.

Once Haai returns, she gives Isuma a gentle little nuzzle and a lick along her feathers, before she flexes her iridescent wings and flies up to land on Sunjata’s shoulders again, babbling about how exciting it had been until suddenly she’s silent and back to the pictures – and a part of him already misses it, the easy conversation they could have away from pictures and feelings. “Congrats Oia.” He offers to her when she takes the companion, before he gets ready to leave.

With that pang in his gut at the silence on the other end of the bond, he offers a light smile to the twins, a nod to Jigano and Loren, before disembarking to actually spend time with the griffin along his shoulders to prove he’d listened.

{FIN for Sunjata!}
up high, but i stay low
SuNJATA
the Firebrand

Change author:
As soon as Astra came back into range, Loren’s relief was immediate, and he could feel her joy as well. When she came into view, he walked over to her as quickly as he dared, and knelt, gathering her into a tight hug. They stayed like that, though he shifted to watch Kai present the spriggan to Oia'i'o. The summoner decided to echo Sunjata. "Congratulations." Then the Launcelyn stood.

Still resting one had on his companions back, he nodded to everyone. "I'm sorry, again, about earlier. I hope you got what you needed " His words came out quietly. Then he turned to head back towards the Hollowed Ground.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Isuma needed no encouragement to hurry, bounding along at first and then taking to her wings to race ahead of the rest. Jigano opened his arms to her as she made it back to him, and she dove into a cuddling hug with happy reeps at the reunion, however brief their parting. He snuggled her close and grinned as he looked up at Kai's return and the addition of the other companions to the mix, but there was something strange about the young demigod, an excitement all out of proportion to the information he was presenting. Jigano watched in faint bemusement as the oaken branch was presented, but it was quickly apparent that it was no mere twig.

Eyes wide in surprise and awe - for he had thought the making of life to be Vi's domain, not Rae's - he watched the little spriggan bond to Oia'i'o, and then turned away to bury his face in Isuma's fluff, sharing her thoughts of joy as they remembered her hatching on that cold winter's night. "Joy to you both," he said quietly, turning to make his own exit behind Loren, not wishing to intrude on such a private moment more than they already had.

{Fin for Jigano!}