thinkin' that they've won
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
dirty laundry, hangin' out with the white lies 'til they're clean sheets
testing loyalties,
The council had been picked – with only one minor hiccup. The fact that she didn’t know whether her Historian wanted the spot, the position. And with it, she wouldn’t simply place the woman there if she didn’t want it in the end. And after all, the Shield had helped her get the pieces for her eyes, had helped try to protect the Temple from Ronin before it collapsed and took her ability to move with it.

But still, she needs to know. And regardless of the outcome, Rexanna comes to the Infirmary bearing no gifts but the news she holds within her chest, within her mind. Knocking onto the door lightly, she opens it a small fraction – the light is gone but there’s candles lit within that lighten the room around them as she goes to slip in. “Amalia? I come with news.” She offers quietly, softly, hoping to not disturb the Shield should she be sleeping.
please don't make me choose sides
when you leave me
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
and like the moon, she had a side of her so dark
even the stars couldn't shine on it
Amalia is not sleeping. She is, however, sitting on the edge of the bed, her legs pale in the flickering candlelight as she stares down on them with all the intensity she can possibly muster. She can feel the tingling in her toes: wonderful, terrible tingling, as uncomfortable as ever and beautifully so. Sensation- gods, how she values it now that it's back, even this sweet, tiny, sliver of it.

It's tantalizing and cruel, though, because it means so little. She can feel her toes, but moving them is still just outside her reach.

This is how Rexanna finds her: staring down her own damn feet, dressed in little more than a shift. It's hot in the infirmary, and she yearns to get out, but stubborn as she is she's staunchly refused to do so until she can move of her own strength.

She glances up when she hears her name, expression shifting to something firm as she regards the Penumbra. "What news?" More loss, more death- or is it about the council Amalia has heard so little about, the newest attempt at governance?
a side of her so cold
even the sun couldn't burn it
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
testing loyalties,
The Penumbra finds the Shield sitting on the edge of the bed, looking down to her feet – and a part of Rexanna wishes that she doesn’t have to ask, to add more of a burden to the emotions that Amalia is likely going through right now. But she can’t escape now, can’t evade that the people had chosen her should she wish to have the job, and so she closes the door quietly behind her, drifting in closer to be able to take a seat across from where Amalia sits, to look upon the Shield with eyes the other woman helped her acquire.

Green eyes scan her face briefly before offering a small smile. “We held the council voting. Wessex nominated you for the historian position, and the people voted you in.” She offers, smile fading slightly as she regards the woman before her. “But I don’t want to force you into doing anything you don’t want to, so I’ve come to ask you before anything is official.” Her head tilts slightly as the Penumbra trudges on. "I can tell you who else made it if you want to take that into consideration?" She asks after a moment, just to ensure they're all on the same page.
when you leave me
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
The voted on a council.

Amalia's a historian.

The girl blinks once, her expression unreadable as she stares up into Rexanna's bright green eyes. Eyes she didn't have the last time they spoke; eyes Amalia helped her gain, traded for promises of cooperation and peace. It's almost laughable, how strong she felt beside this woman, how much power and authority she thought she held. Rexanna must think her pitiful now, a broken thing in a hospital bed, at the mercy of others in the absence of her legs.

Rexanna, their newest Ascended Queen.

"Historian?" Amalia repeats, her voice lilting into a question. Like most of the issues surrounding their fluctuating governments, she has very little idea of what this actually means. Then she drops her gaze, shrugging indifferently, her attention back upon her toes. "What do you want, Queen Rexanna? I'm at your mercy, it seems."
a side of her so cold
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
testing loyalties,
As Amalia repeats the question, Rexanna nods to her. Historian, the one to help record and keep mistakes from being made, to reflect and revert back to what occurred before in order to attempt to avoid the missteps that had happened before. But she doesn’t expect the Shield’s gaze to drop, the indifferent shrug, the title tossed at her. And she sits in the seat across from Amalia, giving her a look with those bright verdant gaze. “You’re no more at my mercy than I was at yours when you helped me get my eyes back.” She offers quietly.

Amalia could have taken the stones away, could have given her the wrong ones, could have avoided helping her in the first place. And she hadn’t.

You said you wanted my help to help prevent more blights, and I want that too Amalia. But I don’t want to make you do anything you’d hate me for.’I want to be your friend, I want you to look at me like a friend too, like Deimos does, like you don’t see me as some cruel monster.’ She doesn’t see Amalia’s paralysis as a problem, doesn’t see it as an effect to her to make her incapable. Her mind is bright, vibrant, and she’s intelligent, enough so that Rexanna has had no worries whatsoever at the way Kiada leans into the Shield like a mother. Like the mother she should have been. Amalia, broken pieces and all, was so much more than she could ever be, and together she thinks there might be a chance to make it work, to fix the wrongs that have been done.
when you leave me
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"You were at my mercy then, and we both know it."

Maybe Amalia should have been kinder; maybe she would have been, on better days. But the truth is she is desperately tired of tiptoeing and politics, and has never been good at the intricate dances that everyone who engages in them seems to manage with such skill. And Rexanna seems to be on exception: not answering her questions but placing herself into a position of equal, friend, when clearly they are not. And if Rexanna meant to set her more at ease by bringing up the Blight she is woefully mistaken.

The Shield looks back up at the Penumbra silently, wondering what she means by her statement, suspicion and exhaustion clear in her face. "What are you planning that would make me hate you?" And what could Amalia possibly do to stop it, in her current state?

Sighing, she leans back on her hands, legs still motionless and affixed to the floor. "What would a Historian be, anyway? And why do you want me for it? And, yeah, what's the rest of this council - the rest of your plan - and how will it be any different, Rexanna? We've gone through more governments this year than there are seasons. Forgive me if I don't place much stock in the institution you Outlanders are so insistent we primitive Naturals desperately need."
a side of her so cold
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
testing loyalties,
Despite how Amalia’s words were meant to come out, Rexanna doesn’t flinch as the barbs are cast. It was aimed as a friend, the fact that they’re both at each other’s mercies for things that had happened to them, both unfortunate things that could have been prevented had they both been better, smarter, stronger… but she doesn’t let those pass through her lips. Instead, she waits, waits for Amalia to speak next.

I’m planning nothing. But if you want to hate the position and loathe it, I don’t want to be the one that’s forced you into doing it.” She tries to explain, unsure if her words are working here. But she tries, because that’s all she can do, and when Amalia sighs and sits back on her hands, Rexanna’s gaze never leaves the Shield’s face. She doesn’t expect the barrage of questions, but she should have assumed they’d come up one way or another.

The Historian is aimed to be for keeping a record of what’s occurred and what’s happening at present. Something to refer to when decisions are made. People want you to do it with you being a Loreseeker, and already having a lot of knowledge in that regard.” She replies simply, head tilting slightly when the suggestion of why a council, why the monarchy is necessary. “I’d rather it go back to how it is too, I really would. But I’m nervous, Amalia, with the barrier down. With Halo and Zariah. What if they try to come in and implement it again? Try to conquer the grounds into them? And then what?” A frown finds her face with that.

"I think it's just worth trying, at the very least. To not do what everyone else did."
when you leave me
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"Why not Jigano?" Amalia asks, curious, when Rexanna explains the task. Once, perhaps, she had been a student of history, more interested in tracking the past than the present. Now, though? Now she seems ill-suited to such a task, given her own painful tendency to make mistakes and run straight into disaster without thought to how poorly the last time went.

The urge to tap her foot in thought is strong, and the fact that she can't only deepens her frustrations. "That doesn't tell me how it will be different. Stopping Zariah from coming back- sure, I want that too. But who's to say it won't be the same with the Voice - sorry, you - in charge?" It's a petty remark, given their past discussions on the topics and Rexanna's repeated promises not to be a puppet, but Amalia cannot help her doubt that the Voice is not the one pulling the Penumbra's strings.

"What will your council do, exactly? And yeah- who else is on it? And what will they be doing?" Is it stacked with Ascendeds is the implication in the question, but she does not voice that. Not aloud.
a side of her so cold
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
testing loyalties,
Why not Jigano indeed. And she inhales a quietly sharp breath that she doesn’t need as she focuses on the Shield. “Because Jigano is the Outlander Advisor.” An easier answer, that he could technically do both, but his focus would mainly be on Outlanders and their relations, their ideals. She doesn’t know what else to add to it, nothing to back it up. She had reached out to the Loreseeker to tell him of the history position, and he had chosen to nominate himself for the Outlander one.

Such was life, such was this.

The petty remark is granted with a softer look to her gaze, a smile crossing her face. “I’m not a Natural Ascended, Amalia. I am an Outlander that arrived here as an Abandoned, already forsaken by the gods here – turned Ascended because of what happened to me for being an Abandoned. The Voice is my goddess, yes, and she’s been there for me when I truly needed her to… But I do have my own mind.” She explains, waving a hand in the air around her.

The question of what the council will do doesn’t surprise her, and she nods slightly to settle a bit more. “I want it to be like a net. To hit all the edges so we’re not unprepared, unaware again. One person, gods, even three can’t do it. But with all of you, I can.” She pauses briefly. “Deimos is the head of the militia, Samuel is the Natural’s Advisor, Jigano is the Outlander Advisor, Phoebe is the Health official. And we want to have you as the Historian official.Two Ascendeds out of six.
when you leave me
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
I have my own mind feels very much like a cop-out, but Amalia has to remind herself that this is Kiada's mother, Deimos' friend. The ones she loves both love this woman, trust her judgment, and so must she. At least a little, at least for now.

At least until next season, when the government inevitably changes again.

Her eyes flick up as she mentions that Samuel is to be the Natural Adviser, alarm and a little disbelief clear in her flinty gaze. Another Ascended, this one more enamored with the Voice then the last. What will he try to tell them about the sins of the Old Gods? She can see the future unfold before her, hear his advice in her ears. She should have chosen someone unbiased, but then Rexanna is not unbiased herself.

Neither is Amalia.

"Fine," the girl says suddenly, simply, glancing up at the hybrid Queen. "I'll join you- but I don't want to sit in the corner taking notes. I would like to be an adviser, too. On Natural customs, and our gods. And I... I want to help liaison with the new lands we discover. And help make decisions about the future of the Grounds."
a side of her so cold
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
testing loyalties,
”Fine.”

But that isn’t the end. It’s not the end as Amalia continues on, agreeing to join but with conditions. Conditions that she listens to, contemplating. “So you want to be my second hand?” She asks quietly, considering it. The Historian, at the very least, should be more than a note taker – this Rexanna agrees with – and while everything else hadn’t quite been fleshed out just yet, everyone seemed to want the Shield a part of it.

She folds her hands into her lap, looks to the woman sitting on the edge of the bed, with the briefest of wiggling of toes, and offers a smile to her. “Alright.” A brief pause as she thinks on it. “We’ll announce it when we have a meeting. But I don’t see why not?” A step for a step, after all. Progress was progress.
when you leave me
REXANNA
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
She hadn't planned her outburst, hadn't intended to agree in the first place- but as Rexanna accepts her terms Amalia realizes she has made a choice that will effect her life for years to come, and that as much as she may suddenly, desperately want to, she cannot take it back.

There is only forward, now.

"Okay." Rexanna drops her hands to her lap while Amalia extends her own, offering to shake and seal their decision before either of them has a chance to recant. They are both making a terrible mistake, Amalia suspects, but they are at least making it together. And it cannot be too much worse than any of the countless other mistakes she's made, over the span of her life.
a side of her so cold
Amalia
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
testing loyalties,
Only forward indeed.

She takes Amalia’s hand as it’s offered, finding warmth in Amalia’s hand where Rexanna’s own Ascended status keeps her own cool and almost cold in comparison. But she shakes the Shield’s hand, a deal made, a deal struck – possibly a terrible one, but one nonetheless. Her gaze flits over the Shield briefly, a soft smile granted in response.

I’ll let you know when we’re meeting again and we can tell everyone the news.” She withdraws her hand, shifting somewhat to stand. And if Amalia doesn’t need anything else, Rexanna will offer a small dip of her head in her exit, before departing and closing the door with a click.

FIN!
when you leave me
REXANNA