[se] on the nature of myths and magic (OPEN!)
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 4 - Int:
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
OIA
The sun is beginning to set, casting wildflower hues of colour into the sky. You're laying on your back watching it as it descends, and thinking about the strange myth that you've heard so little about. Kai has more or less explained that it's all metaphorical; that's why some are 'capturing' the sun with water, with mirrors, in drawings and such.

But you? You possess the inklings of what it would be to actually capture it. At least in one sense. It's a world-ending sense which is why you don't think your magic will ever amount to that level of control...

..but the seeds are there.

Fingers interlaced behind your head, you watch as the colours darken with the slow and measured decline of the sun.

i think i'll pass on the summer
don't wanna fall for it this time

Coding base by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
amun
Amun didn’t have much to fill his days. Given his injury, he couldn’t work, so it was good he didn’t need to barter for food or water. Or clothes. Or anything really. Instead he’d just taken to wandering around, seeing where his feet might take him.

Today, it had been to the Fields, to watch the farmers toil and the tall dry grasses wave in the wind. However, he kept feeling his eyes drift to the former location of the festival of Fiat Lux, unbidden. Every time he realized what he was doing, he turned to watch something, anything else.

But his eyes returned to the site of so much destruction before too long.

Somehow, the day slipped away from him. The sun began to set, and he gladly shifted so that he could watch it take over the sky in vivid fingers of color. He would’ve been content to simply stay like that until night fell.

And maybe all night too.

However, out of the corner of his eye, he saw someone with a similar idea. Tilting his head, he watched Oia’i’o as she watched the sky. Finally, as dusk kept creeping over the world in its slow and steady course he stirred.

Walking over, he lay in the grass next to her. Slipping his hand and his prosthetic behind his head, he was silent for a long time. He didn’t even bother to breathe, or show any signs of life.

But when he finally did breathe, it was in preparation to speak in a nearly silent whisper. ”It’s funny thinking of everyone running around trying to capture a star.” There was almost no inflection behind the words, and he definitely didn’t sound as if he was amused.
Thrill me, chill me, fulfill me

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Change author:
OIA
Of course you notice him. Without a heartbeat though he might be, still he stirs the grasses and though you aren't the most observant one in the world, your aversion to touch makes you intimately aware when someone is near you. Without any subtly at all you tilt your head to the side to regard him warily like a deer or so might. For his part he more or less ignores you, which calms your suddenly racing heart.

You think you can smell the bits of humanity on him, the marks of the world he lives in, but you're probably just overthinking it, so hyperaware of things as you suddenly are.

"Good that you know it's a star." You say in a loud voice, before suddenly realizing that his whispering likely indicates you should as well. "Are you whispering for any particular reason?"

Coding base by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
amun
Amun shrugged, the motion almost comical given his currently prone position. ”No real reason. Seemed like a quiet moment. And talking softly takes less effort.” Again his voice was barely loud enough to hear above the breeze.

Although he made no move to leave her side, he also made no move to get closer. He just lay motionless, staring as the sun dipped further down the horizon, and dark shadows began to interpose themselves with the vivid reds, oranges, and pinks streaking the sky. ”What do you think Safrin thinks of all this? Of the mortals, running around like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to catch something for her that she already has dominion over.” Again, there was no inflection or emotion in his voice.

Just words, plainly of softly spoken.

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Change author:
OIA
You consider this for a moment, large blue eyes blinking with interest. "Are you conserving your energy for something?"

This, you don't need to think about. "She loves it. Any festival in her name brings her joy. There were festivals of slaughter and sacrifice...blood oaths given and taken...pure chaos as many tell it. But unlike Ludo or Frey, Safrin is the only one who seems to care to have her name remembered." You think she'd be happier to be remembered in a negative light than not at all. But this is pure speculation so you say nothing more.

"That too seems like her. Giving out impossible tasks."

Coding base by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
amun
Amun stared at the sky, not even moving in response to Oia’i’o’s inquiry. ”No. I just don’t have a lot these days.” Again, his words were almost whispered.

Falling fully silent and fully still at the demi-god’s explanation of the full god, the Ascended just stared upwards. Finally, he spoke in that inflectionless tone once more. ”So we’re like toys to her, then? She might get upset for a while if she breaks her favorite one, but she’ll move on soon enough?” There wasn't any real judgment, or any real curiosity behind the statement. "What else does she like? I know people are singing and making offerings. But it seems silly to bother with all that if she's just playing with us."

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Change author:
OIA
"You're an ascended. Your energy levels are meant to be routinely stabilized by .." You pause, trying to remember the word. Recalling it, you find your tongue unhappily rolling it around in your mouth. "...feeding."

You aren't terribly sure what to make of this, given you've never had toys. You think you understand more or less understand though. "I think...it's the collection she likes. It doesn't matter what the toys are, who I suppose, so long as she has more than Ludo and Frey." Your voice too is without judgement, but that's quite normal for you. "She likes praise. I have heard on more than one occasion that she is described as vain, and I think that suits her quite well."

Coding base by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
amun
Amun didn’t look away from the tapestry of the sunset. ”Replenished by fluid.” It came out distractedly, without much emphasis. ”I didn’t mean physical energy.” The words were still soft.

Shifting slightly so he could move his arms, he rested his hands on his chest, linking the flesh and the metal together without really noticing what he was doing. "So if I want to make a proper offering to her I should just shout compliments to the open air?" Taking a deep breath for the first time this conversation, he raised his voice, though not even to the level of a shout. "Safrin, you are as beautiful as you are wise. May you ever grace our skies with you radiance."

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Change author:
OIA
"What other kind of energy is there?" And then you add, "You're being weird. You aren't doing the thing with your eyebrows or your eyes. And your voice is different." You aren't a fan of change and with you especially, first impressions tend to stick.

"Proper is contextual." You reply with a shrug, your lips falling closed as Amun shouts into the blood-red sky. "You were created to be a herald of Vi and you have completed at least some of the tasks associated with that position. Some you have even excelled at, which many might say is worthy of admiration and praise." Factual. True. Oia-style.

Coding base by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
amun
”Mental. Magical. Willpower.” The words came out softly, still. As Oia'i'o complained about the changes in Amun, he nodded his head almost imperceptibly. "Yes." The answer came out without a hint of hesitation.

As the demi-god joined the potter in yelling at the heavens, he revived somewhat. A little bit of life and light entered back into his eyes, though he ddin't stir from his spot or raise his voice more. "Your stars have continued to shine at night in a manner that some have described as pleasing to look at and comforting." He turned his head slightly so that he could watch Oia out of the corner of his eye.

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Change author:
OIA
"Why?" Your question was just as immediate, flavoured with interest.

"Humour." You note quite confidently, turning to look at Amun with the inklings of a grin. Looking back up at the sky you continue your flurry of praise with, "It is unclear if you made all of the stars or the conception of them, but many attribute them all to you. That they think you're capable of that sort of power, even if it's false, means that many are appropriately awed and cowed by you." This, you think, is basically the whole point of Safrin's existence. 'FREEZE.' You call out suddenly, meaning to freeze the words in time. It doesn't work like that, but as far as you understand, the point of all of this is largely based in intention, so it hardly matters.

"Do you think that's enough flattery?"

Coding base by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
amun
Laying there motionless, Amun considered Oia'i'a's question, though his eyes still followed the sun as it dipped below the horizon. "I'm sad." The admission was shockingly matter of fact, without much emotion behind it.

However, the Ascended continued to revive further, nodded with the barest of grins on his lips at the demi-god's question? statement? comment that it was funny. ”You said she was vain, right? Can’t hurt to try one more.” Turning his head back to the sky, he cupped his hands around his mouth. ”You have spoken to many people, and many of them have reported back that the experience was memorable for many reasons.” He let his hands rest on his chest again. ”There, that should do the trick.”

Coding base by Sky!
Observer

Change author:
OIA
You're really not sure about the correlation between sadness and whispering, but then, the human-animals find many ways to cope. "When I'm sad Kai and I go swimming in the..." But there's nothing suddenly. The words had their own momentum but now it's gone. In the what, Oia? Where did you swim? But you can't answer, because the memories don't exist. Blocked, deleted, whatever. "Water always cheers me up." You add doubtfully.

Smiling now, you copy Amun, placing your hands around your mouth as well. "You have created more demi-gods inside of the Grounds than anyone else and have a personal shrine."

Coding base by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
amun
Amun found himself grinning, albeit a bit sadly. ”Water always cheers me up too.” The grin faded away swiftly enough. ”I miss the ocean though.” His eyes grew even more distant.

Nodding in approval at Oia'i'o's last compliment, the potter let his hands fall to his sides. Laying there, he stared up at the sky. The fingers of his left hand crept towards his belt pouch. "I have something that might interest you."

Slipping his hand inside the pouch, he took out the square he'd taken to carrying around with him. Rolling up his right sleeve, he place the patch just above his wrist.

Then he ordered it to match the colors of the sunset just above them.

Coding base by Sky!