(SE) when the nighttime comes, say yes
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
SUNJATA
i'm drowning in all these voices in the sea
and meeting all my vices in the ring
He remains, briefly watching as she looks back to the shore and back again, as though she’s debating running. He doesn’t find himself frightening, especially not now while he remains entirely as human as he can be, soaked to the bone as the water drips from his hair, glistens along his jawbone, drips from the golden earrings in his ears. And she’s silent for a time, as she reaches up to touch Ludo’s rags, something Sunjata doesn’t know about. He simply thinks it’s a special scarf, and who is he to truly judge?

Her excuse only ignites another toothy smile to his face. “Not too many people here know how, so I’ve heard.” He offers, somewhat gentler this time. “But luckily for you, I’ve been swimming since I was six.” A wink to her should she remember the conversation they had at the bar — of tossing their children in the flood waters to see if they survive. Indeed, Sunjata was a strong swimmer. He’d manage just fine should things go awry for her.

I could help you, if you like? Haai can watch your scarf with my things over there.” His head tilts again toward her, brow raising, challenging her to join him in the water to capture the sun in a far better way. He drifts somewhat from the edge of the rock to face her a bit more fully, the tattoos on his skin a deep navy beneath the dappled light where otherwise it might appear black. “I’d say it’s worth a dip at the very least.
so step inside, i ain't afraid to bleed
there ain't a casket strong enough for me
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1917
MAEA
It would have been far easier to leave if he had been crude or pushy. But he offered to help her swim, to let Haai guard her treasure, offered her to share in the fun, and Maea just couldn't resist that. So while she hesitated a little longer, she eventually nodded and slipped down from the rock, carefully avoiding getting too close to Sunjata as she made it up to the shore. There, she removed the shawl and folded it neatly, reverent care written in every gesture, and placed it on top of her boots so it wouldn't get dirty. Then, after a thoughtful glance down at her wide skirts, she removed the dress as well, placing it over the shawl so the rags were not visible. Beneath it, her shift hugged close to modest curves, short-sleeved and laced tight in the chest. It revealed her to be reed thin, no doubt with ribs clearly defined beneath the fabric... but reached only to the knees; modest enough, and far easier to move through the water in.

Turning to Haai, she beconed the little wolf-bird over and pointed to her clothes as she knelt down. "Guard this for me, please? It's very, very precious to me. I cannot let anything or anyone take it away." Meaning to pet the gryphon, she then returned to the water's edge.

Without the shawl to protect her, Maea found the waters far colder than she remembered. As she waded out into the stream she sucked in a breath, goosebumps flaring all over her skin. While not icy there was a definite bite to it that suggested it's origin might lie in far colder places, and the current was swift. Tugging on her feet, her legs, on the fabric of her skirt, the girl hesitated when it got deep enough to reach her waist.

"I only ever swam in the Oasis," she confessed, attempting a shaky laugh. "There aren't really any waves there... don't know how you can even stand being in the water after what they did to you." Indeed she recalled his account of the Korofi tradition, and found it all the more horrific now. Even with the magic singing to her, she did not feel confident about this... not one bit.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SUNJATA
She’s sure to give him a wide berth as she makes it to the shore, and out of curiosity, he wonders if she’ll just dart off here – spending a moment to casually watch her as she departs the water to reach the edge of the shore, where much to his surprise, she does remove the scarf. Still, he averts his gaze, finding something of a bit more interest in the way the basket floats around the water, holding the sun within its reflection as he moves it around, waiting until she returns.

Haai, meanwhile, doesn’t argue back when Sunjata tells her to do what she’s told, to go and guard the scarf along the shore. And for added measure, once the pile is there and the pat is given by Maea, Haai settles atop the pile, wings flared to cover every inch of what could be seen, head resting on paws as she puffs a bit of smoke out at Sunjata when he finally does deign to glance over.

But Maea’s in the water now, and he can see as she approaches how thin she is. And honestly? He doesn’t have much of an opinion on it, finding that if she decides to return and stay at his bar, that she might fill out a small amount more based on the food provided there. That, and she’s been away for some time. Regardless, Sunjata drifts a bit closer toward where she remains to stay, when it reaches her waist. He doesn’t stand, however, seeing as he’d basically be at least mostly leg deep only, so instead he offers her a hand slick with the chill of the water, a boyish smile across his face.

The Oasis is nice for what it is. But this is more unpredictable, more… Fun, I suppose.” He offers, raising a brow. At the comment of Korofi, however, he snorts and looks back to the slight waves and pull of the water before his tattooed shoulders rise and fall in a shrug. “You do what you have to do for survive, do you not? It never hurts to find joy in it. It makes it less frightening in a way, more tolerant.” He glances back over at her. “I know it may surprise you, but I'm definitely more of a fighter than a flyer, and picking the waters rather than getting tossed in them is one way of picking battles.” He hums with a quiet chuckle. "This one–" He pauses, to give her a bright grin. "–is an easy one."
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
Pick your battles. It was a valuable piece of advice, offered with a shrug and a smile and Maea was somewhat taken aback by the profound wisdom of it. She was an inherent overthinker, always looking for meaning behind everything, including the things she chose not to do. But Sunjata offered a delightfully simple way to handle it that suddenly answered several questions she'd asked herself on repeat over the years. Pick your fights. Change what you can. Learn to live with what you cannot change, and laugh while doing it.

She looked at Sunjata then, actually looked for what felt like the first time, and saw past the golden skin, the dripping curls - all those things that made her feel insecure and out of sorts - to the man behind it. Taking note of the well-trained physique, the scars, the tattoos she hadn't dared consider before, Maea realized that he was more than just a man. He was intelligent, indeed a fighter but with the brains to back it up. Why she was surprised, she couldn't say. Perhaps it was simple prejudice against a half of humankind she had very little experience with, or the stamp of 'Phoebe's husband' had kept her from bothering to look further.

In the end it didn't matter. The important thing was that some of the awkward nervousness drained from her, and she was able to take a deep breath, relax, and put some trust in him.

"Alright," she said, smiling a bit wider as she took the offered hand. "Fun it is. Fair warning though, if you let me drown I'm taking you down with me."

Easing herself down, Maea endured her lungs seizing and gasping until the water was up to her shoulders, then neck... Then she held her breath and ducked down beneath the surface. Returning back upp again, she blew water from her lips and pushed the shimmering white hair back from her face.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
She actually looks at him now, and he remains as stationary as he can, letting her look at the feather tattoos that wrap around both shoulders, covering parts of his chest, arms, and along his back, to the compasses that sit at the helm along the sides of his neck, in such a way that the North points at her from where he stands to offer his hand. The scar along his hip that Lusea stitched up on full display, the arrow with a flame over his heart, a battlefield of sorts. This is a man with a story, and one more people knew the bits and pieces to. Maea knew only a portion, but the fact that he was a fighter was one that strung through the chords of everything he did and everything he became.

And when she agrees, smiling a bit wider, it’s reflected on his own face. But her comment after does arise a deep chuckle from him as he gives her a look, taking her hand into his that almost dwarfs her hand. The pads of his fingers and his palm are calloused, as though he’s spent plenty of time working with weapons here, and as he guides her to deeper waters he looks out over the waves a small amount. “Yes well, I’d expect nothing less from you.” He agrees, looking back to her as her hand leaves his and he sinks into the water beside her as she wets her hair.

See, it’s not so bad.” He hums, drifting a small amount past her with the current before pushing off a rock and heading back to where she started from to grab the basket they’d kept in the small alcove. Once retrieved, he swims back over to her with the basket in hand, stopping beside her, gaze looking over to a pool by a small waterfall caused by a beaver dam. “Also, there's fish over there.” He offers her, pointing to it where beneath the shimmering surface of the water it’s easy to see the reflection of multicolored scales beneath it, dancing around. “But— we’re here to capture the sun, are we not?” He asks, handing her the basket, arm behind her with space given in case she begins to drift down the current so that he could catch her.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
He moved about the water like it was second nature. Maea envied the ease of it, how he didn't seem to struggle at all. She had to work just to stay afloat and keep her head above the surface as the water got deeper and her feet lost track of the stony bottom. Knowing how to tread water in a still pond was one thing; here there was a constant onslaught of waves and a strong current that tugged on her with ceaseless stubbornness.

Still, she let Sunjata guide her there without protest, and fought with quiet determination against the river as he went to retrieve the basket. A few times the waves came upon her without warning and left her coughing, half-choked and spluttering with the back of the throat burning. Still, it wasn't more than she could handle, and she would never admit to being relieved when Sunjata came back. (She really was though.)

"Really? What kind of fish?" Heaving herself up out of the water with a kick, she tried to peer over the churning surface towards the spot he indicated, but saw nothing but the glittering reflection on the waves. Accepting the basket, she considered it, and the sun - it was still high in the cloudless sky, with many more hours of daylight left to its name - and pondered the water around her.

"Indeed we are. Hm. I want to do it differently than you did..."

After a time, the slender girl filled the basket up with water again. Turning, she looked at the man behind her, and noticed that the sun was reflecting not only in the water but in his eyes as well. Her mouth quirked; an idea struck her and without pausing to consider if it was a good plan, she hoisted the basket up and right onto Sunjata's head. Water and all.

"Caught it! she whooped with a wicked little laugh.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
Trout, I think.” He tells her. Some sort of river fish, made for a delicious meal at the end of the day. He doesn’t know if she can see their glimmering scales within the water or not, despite her attempt to look which does arise a slight smile to cross his face. Regardless, he hands her the basket, prepared to brace for her should she lose her balance and start to drown that he might be able to catch her.

He thinks nothing of the comment she gives, thinks she might try to do a similar thing that he did but in a roundabout way. He absolutely doesn’t expect for her to turn to him, and he raises his chin slightly to watch as she rises slightly out of the water —

— and then dumps it right on his head.

His hands raise to remove the water from his eyes, sputtering slightly with the surprise as he slicks his hair back again and gives her an amused look, a smirk crossing his lips. “You cruel woman.” He begins, voice a bit raspy from the water as well as the surprise. He moves closer into her space, slipping down into the water as he tries to place one hand around the back of her knees, the other along her back to try and lift her out of the water where he can hold onto her and peer down at her. “It’s unfair if you drown me first.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Still laughing, Maea tried to back away out of reach as he closed in on her. There was something a little daunting about the look he gave her, that suggested she'd be far better off not being caught. But she had the full force of the current in her back, trying to move against it was like pushing into a dense crowd and Sunjata was far bigger than her, far stronger.

She yelped as he scooped her up, stomach lurching as gravity was defied and she left the water. Struggling to free herself from his grip, the girl couldn't decide if she ought to laugh or be worried. Unable to recall if anyone had ever held her like this before - not even her father, since she got old enough to walk on her own feet - the sensation was as foreign as that of having someone peer down on her from that angle. Butterflies was storming all about her insides, nerves about gods knew what - one of them in particular could have answered in thorough detail - but all the same she grinned a little at him, attempting to look innocent.

"You look perfectly fine," she countered, "now put me down!"
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
She yells when he lifts her from the water, and he can’t help the husky chuckle that leaves him as he holds her tighter to him. He remains, however, feet finding purchase along the bottom of this section of the river so he can stand enough. He peers at her then, steel gaze alight with amusement, and with the sun in his face as it is now she might spot a bit of the blue around his pupil before it greys out toward the edges, she might also notice the freckles that span his cheeks and the bridge of his nose.

A wolfish grin is given her way as she says he looks perfectly fine. “Do I?” He asks, before squinting a bit at her too. “Like this?” He asks, submerging them both a small amount, keeping his hold onto her until the water reaches both their chests. “I don’t think I want to let you go just yet.” A dark brow raises, wondering how far she’ll let him take this. Though it’s clear he doesn’t care how far it goes, keeping one foot out to back off should she want to. But it’s just too fun to not see it out until the end, whomever decided first.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
She had been half prepared for him to dunk her, throw her into the water like she'd seen her brother do with friends on hot LongHeat days. But though he dips them down, she found herself held firmly in place, unable to wriggle free, and after a moment of struggle she relented, growing still in his arms.

Looking up at him, she had a bemused expression on her face. Laughing but wary, clearly having fun but also just as clearly loathe to admit it. All too aware of his arms about her, of being pressed to his chest, Maea wasn't sure where he was going with all of this. She'd begun to blush again, the cool water not quite enough to quell it; she noticed color in his eyes, hues she hadn't seen before.

"Why not?" Her heart beat faster. Too fast, all things considered. Maea wasn't sure she wanted to hear the answer. Too much blood was rushing through her head, making her thoughts fuzzy... it would be for the better to back off now. It really would.

But she made no effort to push herself away.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
She grows still in his arms, and his gaze lingers on her as she looks back at him, that same amused smirk lingering on his lips. He can see the blush creeping back over her cheeks, and when she questions why he doesn’t want to let her go, the smirk only deepens a small amount. “Because…” He begins, tilting his head a fraction closer to her, looking down at her through a clear gaze.

Maybe I enjoy seeing you blush this close.” He teases her lightly, pulling her with him, a small amount closer and deeper into the water until it covers her shoulders. “Maybe I think you should have a bit more fun.” He counts them off, gaze never leaving her face. “And maybe I think I can give you that.” His voice is a bit deeper here, a bit rougher as he removes the footing he has to drift a small amount with the current until they’ve spun in a half circle and the water’s current breaks against his back, still keeping her close but out of the full onslaught of the river.

A challenge lingers in his gaze, whether she wants to let loose or become rigid again — he hasn’t forgotten that she refused to look at him at first. How improper it had been for her. And yet, there’s nothing truly proper about himself at all.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Once, when she was younger, Maea had dreamed of scenes like this. Of being swept up in the arms of a handsome stranger who made it clear he'd rather not let go. Of feeling this kind of thrill, a sweet temptation to give in, knowing herself to be special in his eyes. It was... almost the same scenario as she'd conjured up then. But there were differences, of course. For one, she'd never pictured herself submerged in a river far beyond the barrier. Nor had she expected the special someone to have a name, a job, live in her town and know her friends.

Or have a wife.

They spun through the water, its sweet touch a caress on her skin, a tug on the clothes that only contrasted against the steady warmth of Sunjata's body. Maea nearly stopped breathing as he held her tighter, inching ever so slightly closer. Her hands went up, bracing on broad shoulders; not sure if she was stopping him or merely giving in to some urge to touch what she shouldn't. He spoke, answering her question; the voice was deep and a little rough, sending a little thrill down her spine that made her swallow. It was all very new, very tempting... and very, very wrong.

"You... shouldn't say that," she mumbled, lips near numbness. Maea trembled, fighting against the reckless wish to take him up on that challenge, against doing something she knew would hurt her friend. "You don't even know me... how could you possibly know what to give?"

She did not push away - there was not enough strength in her arms to do that, they were heavy and numb, uselessly tingly from shoulder to fingertip - but she lowered her gaze, breaking the intense eye contact. Truth was, if he pushed she wasn't sure she'd be able to maintain her resolve. But still... she had to try.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
This day absolutely took a different turn than was expected. But he wasn’t complaining, married or not, not as he watches the blush creep along her cheeks, not as he pulls her slightly closer and deeper into the water when she reaches up to wrap her arms around his shoulders, his neck. He wonders acutely if she can feel the scar that drifts from behind his ear, along his neck, and onto her chest — following a vein that would’ve proven fatal had he not been fixed enough to survive.

But ah, those are different times, and the water here is far clearer, far cleaner than the flood waters of Korofi. There was no rebellion brewing under the surface of the monarchy that he was a part of both worlds, tearing and scraping and trying to make a difference. No, instead it was just him and just her, and the fish that swim far off in the distance as Haai continues to guard the clothes.

And she begins to mumble as he gives her his thoughts, his lips quirking slightly with it. He can feel her trembling and he keeps her closer to him, hearing her mention that he doesn’t know her. His gaze remains on her face even as she averts his eyes, scanning over the pages of her face before he reaches up with one hand in an attempt to brush a bit of the white hair from creeping into her cheek. “You’re right. But this is fun for me at least, and based on the laughter not too long ago I think you are enjoying it too.” He gives her a brighter smile to that. His head nears hers briefly, enough to get closer to her ear as he goes to speak again, soft and sweet as though it’s for her ears only. “Haven’t I given you that?
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Enveloped by the water that all but swallowed her whole now, Maea felt little more than a piece of driftwood set afloat in the river. If he were to let go, she would no doubt drift far down stream before her limbs began to function properly again. It was quite ridiculous, really. Not too long ago she had seen this person stand before Frey, exchanging rings with another woman, not even knowing his name. One meal and a conversation later, and she was clay in his hands. But though the thought crossed her mind and irked her to no end, Maea couldn't feel the full impact of those cold facts. Not when his fingers touched her cheek, oh so gentle as they brushed white strands of silky hair away.

Never before had she been this close to a man. Not any, not for any reason. Oh, there had been hugs and the occasional hand on a shoulder, the sympathetic squeeze of a hand, but it was always brief. Never lingering. No one had ever spoken so softly in her ear that a shudder could not be suppressed, making her breath catch. She could feel his warm breath against the damp skin on her neck; her grip on his shoulders tightened for a second, and she barely registered it.

"You have," she admitted weakly, after a moment of hesitation. She had been laughing, relaxing. Could probably do so still, if only this tension would go away. But Sunjata showed no signs of wanting to quit this game, and she... was conflicted. It would be so very easy to forget everything, let the river wash away all the guilt and reason and common sense, leave only stormy eyes and a smiling mouth to care about. He was so close... and she was all but bewitched, a thrall to her own inexperience.

"It would be fun... but.. it's not me you should be doing this with. What about Phoebe?"