(SE) when the nighttime comes, say yes
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
SUNJATA
i'm drowning in all these voices in the sea
and meeting all my vices in the ring
He would have saved her had he thought she was truly drowning, but now that he knows she holds water magic of all things, he thinks it’s quite possible she can handle it enough. And he’s right, when she staggers over to him just as breathless as he is, he offers her a charmingly crooked grin. But he has no chance at getting a word out, not as she begins to use her magic and put him into a fishbowl of sorts. It’s intriguing this idea, and he can’t quite seem to figure out what shift to use to try and get out of it. So he looks at her through the rippling water, that smirk returning ever so slightly.

Pick your battles.

She’ll adjust and move it depending on where he goes, he can tell that already. And so he decides to go to the source — bringing the fishbowl toward her to try and envelop her as well, to get into her space, to pull her into him and distract her enough to let it fall away. He grins to her with the movement, seeing if it works or if he should try another tactic.
so step inside, i ain't afraid to bleed
there ain't a casket strong enough for me
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1897
MAEA
Having the magic and knowing how to use it was... not exactly the same thing. But as Maea righted herself before there was any real danger, she never got to find out if she could indeed save herself in that kind of a pinch. Or if Sunjata would indeed hold to his promise of not letting her drown.

Standing waist deep in the churning waters, she was somewhat unnerved by the calm curiosity he displayed as her bubble closed over him. Distorted and twisted as the liquid flowed about him, the man looked as smug as ever as he inspected it. She was prepared for a shift this time, ready to expand the bubble to the limits of her ability should she need it. Already she felt the strain of keeping the magic in place; that he took his time to think only meant she had to uphold it that much longer, and though she stood still her breath did not slow down; the effort was taking a toll on her.

Then the bastard started to move toward her, of all things! Indeed Maea shifted the bubble to follow along as he moved, but while the increased proximity to herself made it easier to maintain it, she too now had to hold her breath as the water swallowed her up. None of her calculations had prepared for him to grab her though. Her surprise was the last straw, and without so much as a pop the spell broke; the weight of the water came crashing down over them both and if Sunjata hadn't been holding her, Maea thought she might have been swept back out into the river from the sheer force of it.

Coughing and pawing at her face to get mouth and nose free enough to breathe, the girl found herself shaking a little, winded and limp at the exertion. She didn't even try to struggle against the arms that held her; instead her head fell forward to rest against his chest, too tired to care if this counted as her loss.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SUNJATA
Straight to the source, calculated and cool despite the water that rushed over his entire body. He was well familiar with it, no longer felt the panic at the water that could have drowned him a few too many times, and within the bubble she created around him the water was still calm despite it all. Not the raging force with undercurrents that the Korofi flood season often brought, the one he could manage well enough with a bit of sputtering and cursing.

They did call him the Flood, after all. Strong, surging, powerful enough to swallow whole, yet calm when the winds were soft and sweet.

He manages to grab onto her, however, pulling her into the bubble to where she has to hold her breath against the water that she’d crafted around him, and when he pulls her into him and wraps his arms around her, he finds that it does work as intended. Her surprise brings the water cascading down from the two of them, and he lets her cough while he too pauses to cough a bit, lungs squeezing with the action – how he shouldn’t be doing this much exertion with how sick he’s been, but he can’t stop now. His heart thunders in his chest as oxygen refills within him, but he keeps her near to keep her from being swept away, a steady pillar among the waves.

Her head finds his chest, and he hums an amused, breathy chuckle at that, lowering himself slightly to get closer to her. “I told you I’ve got you.” He offers her with another bright grin, though his voice is hoarse and rough from holding his breath. A win in his book, regardless, and she hadn’t quite kicked his ass for it yet. She may need to try something else other than the one element he’s entirely familiar with. Still, he loosens his arms around her enough to be able to peer at her and her exhaustion, his own exhaustion reflected not in his face or breathing, but in the ebony horns he’d kept under wraps since the day he’d returned from Fiat Lux that begin to sprout from his head, curling back and tipped in gold. “Have I exhausted you yet?” He teases her lightly, giving her a grin.
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
There was a muffled grumble, words half unsaid that could mean anything; gratitude, offense that she should need to be 'got', embarrassment at the things he may or might not be implying with his choice of words... perhaps all of it. For a while, Maea neither said anything else or made any indication that she might want to move, too busy just... getting her breath back in order. Granted, having Sunjata this close was really not helping with that.

Eventually though, she did force her head back to look up at him. The weariness was in her eyes, along with a little chagrin that she had not been able to get the win despite her clear advantage. But it all faded as she noticed the horns, surprise making the shifting colors in her gaze deepen into something akin to blue. Freeing one arm, she reached up to touch one of the ebony arches, curious fingers wanting to explore the base where they burst out of the flesh.

"Since when..? Does it hurt at all?" She nearly forgot that she was tired, all her loreseeker curiosity kindling at the sight. She wasn't accustomed to partial shifts, and this was decidedly not taken from the fish he'd been earlier, or the cat she'd seen a moment ago.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
She says nothing to his comments, and perhaps it’s better that way. Better to keep him from continuing to make them, to latch onto a word and shift it one way or another. But when she lifts her head to finally look at him, he hasn’t realized the partial shift just yet – not as a quiet rasping breath leaves him. Though he is surprised when she reaches up to touch one of the horns, the feeling of the pressure of it surprising him enough that he swallows hard against it.

I usually have a good grasp on it, but it seems you’ve exhausted me too.” He hums to her, sinking down into the water enough that she can inspect them further, grab or touch the points and the edges all she wished. “Doesn’t hurt, they’re a bit weighty though. I haven’t knocked them into anything yet, but getting a shirt over them is a nightmare most days.” He offers a breathy chuckle at that, shaking his head slightly, enough that the water drips from the gilded points.

It’s from an antelope shift of mine. I found out about them after Fiat Lux when they just appeared.” He informs her, another hidden secret among the others, a variety of the endless surprises he seemed to have. He’d let her explore each and every one of them if she wished to.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
The sensation of the horn under her fingers was somewhat familiar. It was not unlike the horns of the rams she'd wrestled with on the farm; grabbing hold of them to force the stubborn animals to move. A smirk quirked the corner of her mouth at the notion it might be a way to make him move as well... she itched to try it, but decided to save the idea for some other time, should it prove necessary.

Maea pretended she had not heard his comment of making him exhausted as well. She found it was far easier to just let the flirtations wash over her like so much water than try to react to each and every one of them. Already she'd decided not to give in to any such temptations, so if it made him happy he could shrow them around all he wanted. As long as she could keep herself from blushing too hard.... he'd probably grow tired of it eventually.

"What's an 'antelope'?" she asked instead. It was not a word she'd come across before, tho perhaps it existed somewhere within the records of the Aetheneum. "Don't think you need to keep them hidden... it does not look bad."

Done with her exploration, she let her hands fall and sunk down into the water. It was growing a tad chilly, and silt had been stirred up from her reckless abuse of the river, but she was not quite ready to get back on land again. The sun was still hot and the air close, full of the scents of forest and earth; she could linger a while longer.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
He can feel it as she explores the horns, part of him hoping deep down that she doesn’t decide to tug on it – knowing the feeling and the sensation it would cause would be something definitely not warranted. So when she removes her hands, he sighs internally, lifting his chin a small amount to look at her with his steel gaze, hearing her question as to what an antelope was. “It’s like a deer, but found in plains or deserts.” He explains easily, giving her a softer smile.

But when she tells him that he shouldn’t hide them, he reaches up with a wet hand to run through his hair again, snagging on the tip of a horn quietly in contemplation. “It doesn’t exactly help the attempt to not look like a monster.” He admits, a bit quietly, lowering his hands before him as he releases a bit more of the hold, fingertips curling into dark claws of his panther form.

I think it might end up being a bit too frightening for some. So I try not to.” He admits, banishing the claws to look at her again when she sinks into the water. “But you, do you have more magic than just water?” He asks with a tilt of his horned head, dark brow raising thoughtfully.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
"But you're not a monster, Sunjata. Why would anyone think that?" She frowned a little that he might think so of himself, and even more that others might view him that way. So far, all she'd seen was a big, charming bear of a man, more boy than brute and with far more kindness to his name than his many scars would suggest.

Seeing the fingers shift to claws, Maea merely took one of them between her own, again examining with intent curiosity. The part where man became animal was a little hard to see clearly, as if there was a glimmer of magic to connect the seams she could not look past. She sensed nothing though, and figured it wasn't anything she could affect, accidentally or otherwise.

"Well.. you don't frighten me. I think people are less intimidated than you might think. Leastways us who were born in the bubble. It's not like you're a LongNight monster come to haunt the day, are you?"

The question of her own magics made her look up at him again, meeting the blue-gray eyes with a rueful little smile. "I have some weak telekinetics too. You know, move things with my thoughts? It's not really grown since I was little tho, and... I've tried to avoid using it for the most part."
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
She frowns at the response that he gives, offering her own that causes a slight frown to cross his own at it. Why would anyone think it? Because they had, time and time again. Had painted him as this destructive creature, aimed to set the world on fire. And he had lived up to it, in Korofi, had slayed his way through the pit of mud at seventeen in order to survive, had done it to get away from the leash his father held around his neck.

You don’t know me well enough to find out why they might.” He offers, giving her a small smile, but the honesty is there as a glimmer in his gaze. That he wasn’t, really, that he was only trying to survive and become something and move on from the horrors of his previous life, if it were ever possible. But it seemed impossible to get away from them now, after so long of his attempts to.

He lets her take one of his hands to inspect the claw, and she tells him that she doesn’t think of him as a monster, that he doesn’t frighten her. But he snorts a bit at her assessment, shivering slightly as goosebumps raise on his skin. “I have no intention of becoming one.” He admits quietly, finding her gaze when he asks about her magic.

And he finds that slight frown, slight confusion crossing over him again as he searches her pale gaze. “Why try to avoid it?” Because he’s curious to know, had he had any of the things like the people had here back in Korofi, how much of a different world it would have been.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
He was right about that, at least. Maea didn't know him, and whatever understanding she might sense was very shallow indeed. The little smile she offered was a touch regretful about it, though they certainly might have time to remedy such things from now on. She'd offered friendship and would honor it, so if he ever wanted to let her in beyond that facade of uncaring again... it would be her honor.

"Well, good. If you start to show tendencies, I'll let you know," she offered, amusement there in her own chuff; she doubted he'd give her a reason.

Having to explain about her own stand against her powers saw the girl deflate a bit. Holding his gaze for a moment, she looked away again and turned the head to watch the river, the steep banks on the other side and the woodlands that rose up beyond. There were many reasons why, but they all seemed so petty when forced to say them out loud.

"My father... was a pious man," she began quietly. "First time he discovered that I had the magic, he started with a lashing and then let me know that it was a sin against the gods to ever use it without dire need, to save lives or protect your own. Anything else, and we'd be no better than the ones who brought the Cataclysm, and deserved being Abandoned.

"I was five... and I'd just made the bedroom shake from a nightmare."

It was the first and only time her father had ever struck her, and with the nightmare fresh in mind his lesson had sunk in deep. Her own earnest love of the gods they worshipped had made sure she never doubted his words, and only the delight that came with using her powers had prevented her from leaving it entirely untouched.

"But... well. It won't disappear, and the gods can't take it away. So if I can't be rid of it, might as well learn how to use it properly."
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
Her amusement does manage to spark the briefest hint of a smile on his face, and he gives her a deeper nod with his horned head. But he sinks deeper until the water rests just under his chin as he questions her, as to why she chose to keep her gift a secret, and well… He doesn’t expect the answer she gives. His gaze remains on her, on the quiet beginnings, of pious men.

His gaze narrows a bit further as she speaks further, mentioning the lashing, about how it was a sin to use, and his stomach churns as he scans her, ensuring she’s okay. He exhales a shuddering sigh, dipping himself further into the water to cover his head before he rises slightly again, reaching up to brush the water from a dark gaze again, shaking his head slightly as the water drips from hair and horns alike, not understanding the thought process with that.

A five year old.

He doesn’t remember how old he was when his started, but it had been prolonged, over years and years, a detail he likes to forget often enough. The scars no longer remain on his body, but the scars on his mind remain. “You should use it.” He tells her, hoarsely, avoiding his gaze as he looks over to the water rippling and reflecting the sunlight along her bright hair.

Leaning forward a bit, he clenches his jaw briefly, wondering if he should tell her or not – only to recall that he’d already told her far more than he had anticipated already. And she hadn’t used it against him. “My father was the Arbiter, back in Korofi. Kind of the equivalent of a king I guess, here, but only for the county we lived in.” He begins, dark gaze sweeping over her briefly. “But he too was difficult and stubborn and set in the old ways. He didn’t want a soft child for a boy who was supposed to take his place. I couldn’t tell if he hoped I’d drown when I turned six and they tossed me in the floodwaters, or if he saw the potential in my survival.” A muscle feathers in his jaw. “But he would… do that to me too, if I refused to do something he asked.” He scans her gaze briefly, a small detail he’d never told anyone else – though Phoebe definitely had the idea of it. "I refused a lot of things." Mostly the more difficult things, the tasks and events he wasn't prepared to handle.

So. After everything, I worked on a way to fight back that would leave him unsuspecting of it. Your magic, despite how the gods view it here, I think is a gift. And you should use it, learn to master it.” An unhidden gleam in his eye that seems to scream that he’d been weak before, and he’d learned to try and keep people from forcing him into situations. Yet here he was, a slip up, a weakness, married to a woman who’d managed to pull the right strings.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
As the story unfurled from his lips, spilled like bile from a sick man who'd kept it in far too long, she listened with mounting horror. Oh, she'd resented her father for the whipping a great deal, but it had been a one time thing. Never had he been cruel to her, never impatient or demanding even though she'd been a drain on his already scant resources. A weak child who could not work, who was sick often and loathed by many. She'd lost count on all the times she'd heard neighbors mutter under their breath that Ruben ought to simple put her into the woods to let Rae decide if she was worthy of life, and be spared the trouble... but her father had always refused them. So too had her brother, who worked all the harder to pick up her slack. The debt it put her in was her private little curse, one she still tried to pay - to others, now that her kin were dead and gone - but it was all ultimately out of love.

Nothing at all like Sunjata's story.

I am so sorry you had to endure that," she replied. "Did you ever find it? A way to fight back?" She held her arms out for him and would hug him close should he permit it, a quiet offering of sympathy she didn't know if he wanted or would accept. But it was all she had, though it felt woefully inadequate. She recognized the confidence she'd been given, the trust implied with it and wanted to return it in equal measure. Especially as he called the magic a gift. Not the curse she'd come to think of it as.

"Thank you. I will try my best. Though I will probably need someone to teach me... training on my own never got me far."
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
Her apology is granted with a shake of his head – there’s nothing that she should apologize for. She hadn’t been the one to restrain him, to throw the punches, to lash out at him over refusing to make an appearance, to pretend to be something he wasn’t. He is surprised when she holds her arms out to him, wondering if he should accept it or not as the goosebumps and shivers still race over tattooed flesh, but he gives in, pulling her into a small embrace – nothing like he had before, something honest, something deeper than that, to a friendship that appears to be blooming between them regardless of his taunts and teasing and jests.

Not entirely. After my Trial, he trusted me more. I was poised to take his place at that point, so I underwent a lot of training before they stationed me out in the slums to try and sniff out the rebellion growing.” He explains, not moving away from her arms, letting her do whatever she wished with him as he reveals the pieces. “And I did find it, one day, out on the rooftop alone.” When he’d decided whether it would be better to jump from the eight story building and see if he survived the fall, only to spot the hidden entrance to the rebellion right beneath their noses.

I found them, joined them after working hard to get their trust. And that’s when I met Lusea.” He rumbles, accented deeply toward the end. “She was the Flame of Korofi, and I was just… The Arbiters son. A praised killer after I turned seventeen, and that was when my father finally looked at me like I was something else. But Lusea had seen something else, I think. At least her father had at first.” A muscle feathers in his jaw. “I became the Flood for the rebellion, with an intimate knowledge of how my father worked and for years her and I worked together with the resistance to try and demolish my father’s reign.” A slight head tilt to that. She might see the silver lining between the name of the bar and the monikers. VlamVloed. Flame and Flood.

A quiet nod is garnered toward her, a brief smile, however. “I don’t have magic, but I’ll always help to train someone who’s seeking.” They could figure it out together, if need be. See where the limits were, see where his own were at the end of the day too.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
She'd expected him to back away, to shake his head or perhaps just ignore the offer. So she's almost as surprised as he when he accepts it, but pull him in all the same. Her arms rested lightly around his shoulders, cheek leaning against his... and just stayed there. Sharing what little warmth she had in body and soul, with no thought of more. This was the kind of hug she was used to, the one where thoughts and emotions played bigger part than the body. In truth, she rather preferred it like this. Far less complicated.

Listening with quiet attention to his tale, she noticed how his voice changed. The accent thickened, and there was a softening to the rumble as Lusea's name was mentioned. He'd mentioned her before, but now Maea actually understood how big a piece of him this twice-dead woman had been. Something good in an ocean of bad, a light in his darkness... and now that she was gone? She shuddered to think of it, knowing the loss of kin all too well. Indeed she understood the significance of the decorations within the bar too, perhaps more so than the name. Bronze and blue, water and flame, a quiet homage to a love he had not allowed die. Because it had been true? At the very least, far different from what he now shared with Phoebe.

If his mentioning of being a notorious killer bothered her, she made no show of it. Perhaps it was just a little too distant to her own world to fully register; they'd not seen war for so very long, and the idea of man killing man was utterly rare in a region where base survival was proof enough of ones mettle. Settling disputes was done over a keg of ale in the Rathskeller, perhaps with a fist fight to follow.

"What a rebellious son," she commented, fingers absently playing with the curls of his hair, at the back of his neck. "Well earned, I hope it drove him insane wondering who the informant was." She took a savage pleasure in imagining it, and her voice reflected the sentiment; fierce protective loyalty towards this new friend, who was worming his way into her heart with alarming ease.

At his offer to help her train, she smiled wider. "I might just take you up on that. I did ask Deimos for things I could do on my own, but I'm not sure I'd know what weapons to pick just yet... let alone swing them."