[se] the correlation between gifts and prolonging the inevitable
For Kai and Robin!
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 4 - Int:
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
& this too, shall pass
You wander the marketplace at night with Kai. Don't ask why; you and he do what you do and there's really no point in explaining or trying to justify it. It would take far too long.

Still, it's nice that the market is mostly empty. Your anxiety is like a sleeping dragon and when it's just you and your twin (and now your companion), it slumbers deeply and lets your mind work as it ought to. "Our work would be much harder if no one was ever around, but I do like this." You confide to Kai, your voice echoing out through the cobblestones.

Picking up a rock off the ground, you give your twin a look. You think the rock is fabulous. Do you even know how many years it took to form? All of the elemental and physical factors that went into its creation? The sheer improbability that it would end up right here at this exact moment, where you could pick it up and consider it as a gift?

Honestly, it's downright amazing. Only...the human-animals around you never seem to think so.

"Hey." You call to a rather awkward-looking man. "Would you like this as a gift?" You glance at Kai, and then hold the rock out to the stranger.
Scientist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
kaimana
Viewing human habitats in the absence of humans has to be one of your absolute favorite activities. It's not that you don't like human-animals - you absolutely do, far more than your twin. But they leave such a significant impact on their surroundings, and it can be hard to view that when they're everywhere, watching and asking and interfering.

Almost like someone else we know.

Today it is you who holds a notebook and studiously scribble upon its pages. It isn't words you're imparting, though- it's a map. The streets of the Settlement are laid out in a remarkably orderly fashion, easy to follow when you get past the lack of organic development.

Mostly you're focusing on the buildings, sketching out the most remarkable ones like you might a tree, or particularly interesting stone. Seated beneath a street lantern, you're furiously drawing a half-destroyed old house that now sports a very nice garden of thorny blackberries when Oia's voice cuts through the silence, causing you to pause and look up.

She's talking to a stranger, asking about whether or not a rock would make a good gift (it absolutely would). Charcoal stick hovering above the paper you wait for the man to make his reply, interested to see whether or not human-animal will understand the significance of the stone.
as the world comes to an end
i'll be there to hold your hand
'cus you're a queen and i'm a lionheart
Robin Bailey

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
ROBIN
quote quote quotey time its quote time
matching quote to follow on from that one

Being an Ascended was inconvient. Being in Caido was inconvenient.

Robin's entire life was flipped entirely. Rather than waking up early and being productive all day, he instead had to stay cooped up inside of a dusty mansion with nobody really to talk to, nothing productive to do, and oh yeah, no purpose. It didn't help that all the little things he liked to enjoy that weren't work were completely ruined. Robin loved eating, but it's hard to eat when you cant even appreciate it. Eating doesn't fill him. It doesn't make him feel full or warm or cold or anything. What's the point in living in this damn world if he cant offer his graceous help or enjoy what it has to offer?

At least, that's what he thought until he found out he could go outside at night.

Ever since then, he's been trying to find out about what there was to do. Loren said he could find something to do and damn well was he going to do it. Somehow, he was going to find someone to work with, get a job, and actually help this world somehow. They may have no idea what economics is, but damn well can he save their lives in another way.

So far, though, he search for a job has been fruitless, and instead he's found himself leaning against a stall, kind of lost in thought, before a girl approaches him.

Looking at her with slightly wide eyes, he glances at the rock she holds before him. I mean...rocks can make a profit? Right? "Uh...yeah, yeah I think it'd make a pretty nice gift. Yeah." If there's a demand for something then it will sell. People find enjoyment in the weird of things, like those fancy pillows that are for decoration and not even to sleep on. "Do you have anyone in mind to give it to?" He straightened himself up and made a brief glance at the companion who was watching with keen eyes.

"I think the rock is super pretty." Okay...he didn't think it was that pretty, but the rock didn't suck. "Just give it a nice wash and it'll be perfect." Not a perfect gift for him, but clearly the girl was shopping for someone. So might as well try to be helpful. Who knows, maybe his official job can be Gift Extraordinaire.

and a lil quote again
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Change author:
& this too, shall pass
Success.

"No I don't. Someone at the festival though. I just needed to know if it would make a nice gift, because I'm not good at deciding those sorts of things." You reply, looking at Robin. For a moment you're distracted by his fluffy hair and you even want to reach out and touch it, before your social anxiety and dislike of contact firmly roots your arm in place.

As he mentions washing it, you crinkle your nose with confusion. "Why would I wash it? The organic components on it are as interesting as the rock itself. Why would I remove them first? Unless..." You pause, the wheels of your mind spinning. "Unless it's too good of a gift, unwashed?"
Scientist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
kaimana
The stranger doesn't seem to notice you, which is fine, because you're now invested in watching the interaction unfold. His appreciation for the rock is surprising, if pleasantly so; you find yourself nodding in agreement with his sentiments before looking down to your scribbling again.

The stranger seems something of an authority on gift giving, and you have your own gift ideas that you wonder about and would like to test. His hair reminds you of a puffy mushroom, and you want to capture that image, quickly sketching out an image of the stranger with a mushroom-cap coif. The comment about washing off dirt has your head popping up again, though, because yeah, washing it seems like it would significantly diminish the value by removing any potential organic component.
as the world comes to an end
i'll be there to hold your hand
'cus you're a queen and i'm a lionheart
Observer

Change author:
& this too, shall pass
"....I think he stopped working." You say to Kai with a glance over your shoulder. Robin..isn't answering. It's entirely possible that perhaps you've stumped him, or perhaps he's just stopped caring. It's fine either way, you don't particularly care. You have your answer after all.

"Gratitude." You say to Robin, but only because Kai is there. You aren't actually all that greatful. So saying, you turn towards your brother holding out the stone with a look of success on your face. It isn't so much that you've found a gift so much as you've now found a reason not to be in this stupid town any longer with its streets and doors and alleys.

"Home?" You suggest, and off you go.

~FIN