Training Idle hands are the devil's friend
for Sunjata
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
You're so cold
but you feel alive
Ah, the play pretend. It was something of a comfort to be able to slip back beneath another mask. This time it was one of Flowerbirth sweetness and new beginnings, that tried to thaw out the lands after the long cold. While some of the ice lingered it was starting to melt, draining away into puddles - curiously crimson in places - and it was still bright enough, warm enough to offer some hope.

Never mind that her little ray of sunlight on a bright blue sky had faded back into the darkness of night again. Never mind that the only silver lining offered to her drifting clouds came from the sliver of a sickle moon, about to die. She could play pretend, and she could be a friend. It's what he wanted, after all.

"Are portals truly the only option?" she asked him, humming with some admiration as his arrow landed next to hers. "Has anyone ever tried to find the reason behind the elemental storms, to perhaps settle them again? It could be worth considering."

Correcting her stance a bit while he stepped aside to watch her form, Maea tried to shift her little cluster deeper into the dummy's center. A few arrows went astray as she adjusted her aim, but it seemed she had found a breakthrough of sorts, because it did not take over long before the arrows were finding their way into the target with some consistency. Of course, it was still very close. Beginner level. But far better a result than she had accomplished in the past.

"I would," she replied. Lowering the borrowed weapon, she rolled her shoulders and grimaced at the strain she felt. The shoulders ached, her neck felt stiff; this would hurt worse tomorrow, without a doubt. "Actually, I've..."

She hesitated, biting her lip as she considered him, looked at Sunjata and wondered if he was as good at keeping secrets as he was at offering them. But she was ever a believer in second chances... and he said he wanted to regain her trust.

"I've been given an offer to go to Halo. To train... at an academy for mages. It's just... Jigano would not be happy to hear I want to go. Given who's in charge of it."
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
and if you want, i could tell you the truth
that this life takes a toll on you. i spend nights
Maea does bring up a good point. And despite everything that Sunjata knows of the world around them, he’s only heard of the storms – not what causes them. And he considers her briefly as he shoots his arrow, watching it land beside hers, stepping aside with a quiet hum of thought. “That’s a good point.” He agrees, not even knowing where to begin. “Do you think the gods might know?” A quiet tilt of his head as he watches her correct her stance and take aim again, trying to work on hitting the target.

He watches a few arrows miss, but the majority do hit the target, and he gives her a nod. When she lowers the bow, he takes up the stance again and focuses hard on it when she starts to speak. One arrow hits into the head of the dummy, over the eye, and there’s a slight fanged smile that crosses his face at the placement of it as he draws again.

And when she explains that she plans on going to Halo to go to a school for mages, that Jigano wouldn’t approve, the arrow slips through his fingers and pings off the wood that holds the dummy up, directing it’s course back into the wall beside it. He lets his gaze slide over to her then with a dark brow raised. “Is it Zariah?” He asks, going through what he knows, what he’s heard since he’d met the woman. Zariah had left a bitter taste in his mouth, and he doesn’t agree with it, but he can’t tell her what to base her trust off of based off the fact he’d just broken it.

And so he sighs quietly, turning to face her a bit more fully.
stitching up the loose threads of my soul
so in the morning i'm bullet proof
SuNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
She considered the question. Rubbing a hand over the tense muscles, she tried to ease them into some semblance of suppleness again - the conversation seemed to be settling into something akin to peace, even though she felt the many words still hover in the air between them. Too many things unresolved for true comfort.

"Perhaps. I do suspect it has something to do with the magic that was used during the Cataclysm, though I don't know any details on how or why. Perhaps the barrier caused it...

"But if anyone would know how to restore the balance, it would be the gods. Or at least they might be able to point us in the right direction to find out for ourselves."
She thought the latter far more likely a course.

Trying not to take his occasional praise and approving nod too much to heart as she improved her aim, Maea kept her break short. No one could ever accuse her of being a slouch, and the day was only just begun; too early to be tired, with far too much left to do to laze about. Soon she was shooting again, fighting the bow as it seemed to grow increasingly heavy for every time she pulled it. As her fatigue rose, the accuracy of her aim faltered again. Sweat was starting to bead on her temples along with the rise of the sun as the day grew hotter; she saw Sunjata quirk a brow at her and nodded, confirming his guess.

"I'm... worried what she's up to", she told him. "Of course I want to get better at the magic, so there's that, but... considering everything that's happened here, I don't like the idea of her schooling so many abandoned. For what end? She requires us to stay in Halo during the training... is she trying to build a militia of magic users?"
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
He doesn’t look at her as she rubs at the sore muscles, tries to relieve the tension, focusing on the target instead. And when she speaks, he gives her a slight nod of his horned head as he focuses on the target. “I can try to talk to Safrin about it.” He offers, unsure when Safrin may respond to him, if she ever would – if he could bring it up. An option, at the very least, to try and open it up without the portals connecting it all. If they could tame it…

And then what?

He’s thankful for the way she takes her break, short and easy before picking it up and he watches her curiously as she struggles with the tightness, the sweat that begins to bead along her temples. And when he misses his arrow, turns his attention onto her and questions who would be running the school, he can’t help the slight grimace that crosses his face with it. He sighs lightly, taking up his bow again, focusing as he contemplates the words, releasing his jaw from its clench, running a tongue along his teeth until it ends at one of those long canines and he sighs, letting the arrow fly again – only to watch it sink into the arm of the dummy, a hair away from missing.

Break for water?” He asks, looking back over to her, slinging the bow over his shoulder before stepping toward the targets, pulling the arrows that pelted and peppered the dummy from them, slipping it back into the quiver. He grabs the ones stuck into the wall as well, pulling them out one by one until the area is cleaned up for the moment.

He returns to her, having thought over what she’d said. “I wouldn’t put it past her.” He offers, aiming to guide her to the shade of the building, where water is waiting and they can cool off in the rising heat. He doesn’t know if he should tell her about the Advocates, if it should even be brought up, but he’s trying to build trust with her in the end. “I worked for her in a slightly roundabout way when I first arrived. I do not trust her.” He says, gaze focusing ahead toward the water they approach.
SuNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
A secret for a secret, thought for a thought. The bridge between them was charcoal black and brittle from fire, but with every exchange the offers to rebuild solidified what little remained of it. When Sunjata made no attempts to resume the exchange from before and her own hurt settled into the dull, aching throb of a chipped tooth, Maea found that she actually could relax a bit. It was still not the fun, enjoyable experience she had hoped this training session would be, but far better than storming off and condemning this relationship to the flames before it had ever truly developed. Too many things had been burned already, thrown to the pyre to make way for new things.

He offered to speak to Safrin about the matter. Maea thought it an excellent idea and smiled at him, glad to see that he latched on to her theory. "If you do, I would love to know what she says about it. I'm not the only one who wants options to the portals... If I can be of assistance at all, you only have to say the word."  

No sigh of relief or slumped posture came when he offered the break, but Maea accepted it all the same. Joining Sunjata in collecting the arrows back, she inspected the shots she had made more closely. The first few arrows were shallow, the tip barely deep enough to keep it lodged in the sack and straw. With each addition the puncture became deeper, until she came to the last few. They too were loose, and she considered how her stance and posture would have changed as she tired.

"This is not as hard as I remember it," she mused, refilling the quiver before she followed along to join him in the shade. It was a clear relief and she ran a tongue over her dry lips at the sight of the waiting water. Had she remembered to drink before she left her room this morning? Maea couldn't recall.

"Really? What kind of work?" she asked him, when the topic changed to Zariah and the things the Merciless had tasked him with. She knew nothing of the secrets he kept, or that he tried to be circumspect about it; the look she gave him was curious and nothing more, only keen to sate her ever-present hunger for knowledge.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
It’s easy to pass off the conversation, to hide it away. To not have to face it among the rest of the things he’s facing and dealing with, and he simply takes a shovel to bury it deeper and further until it’s only a mere bump among the rest of them buried and tossed away, to be viewed at later. Maybe never. It was hard to say. So when they converse over portals, he gives her a nod and a soft half smile to her response. “I’ll let you know what I can find out.” He rumbles, a quiet agreement.

But then they’re going to retrieve arrows and move back toward the shade, to the water that would absolutely be a relief. He can feel his shirt sticking to him under the sweltering heat of the sun, and he dives quickly into the shade of the building to grab a glass of water. “It’s a matter of having the right weapon to fit you.” He says lightly, pulling the bow from his shoulder to show the difference between his and hers, the width of it all was far larger, the material a bit different.

He tilts his head up slightly, placing the bow up against the table, looking to her when she asks what kind of work, and he works his jaw a small amount. Taking a deep drink of the glass of water, he exhales lightly. “Not the favorable kind.” He offers at first. “I became part of a guild that did some not so honorable things, and we worked with Zariah in exchange for her to look the other way for some of it.” The honesty within it was huge, that she could look at him however she wanted to with that sort of information, too.

Building trust again, and all that. Back to the monster he claimed people knew him as.
SuNJATA
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
Anyone looking at them from afar might see a pair of friends chatting over a waterbreak. Perhaps a reconciliation after the new girl lost her temper when her arrows didn't fly the way they should. For all anyone knew, Sunjata had been the patient, calm teacher that talked her around, got her to try again and allowed a break when sufficient effort was beginning to pay off.

If they only knew the truth.

Secrets were secrets though, and they were piling up between them in alarming amounts. Kisses and confidences mingled with differing opinions and hurt feelings in a dizzying concoction, that the pale girl swallowed down alongside the water with careful precision. Yet he offered more and she reciprocated, coming to the conclusion that it would just be easier to never talk about Sunjata with other people at all. Lest she accidentally betrayed something no one else should know.

"Is there a guild like that in the Hollowed Grounds?" she asked him, clearly surprised. How bad could 'unfavorable and dishonorable' be? There was nothing around here worth stealing, enough people died already by natural disasters and accidents that murder was quite unnecessary, and she could think of nothing else that migth be considered offensive. But the gleam in her eyes was that of the Loreseeker, ever greedy; the little smile on her lips suggested she might not be so quick to judge as he might fear.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
He takes another deep sip of the water, letting it cool the warmth within his throat before he sets the glass down atop the table and peels a part of the shirt away from his neck, listening to her question, wondering how to answer. But when he looks to her then, letting his silver gaze catch the gleam in her eye, the intrigue, the greed… He decides that since Jigano already knows and is already trying to recruit a few people toward them in exchange for him to do the same, he ducks his head.

Yes.” A quiet response at first, as though they’re going over technique and ensuring it’s the correct posture and things of the like. Not that it’s a secret organization, that had started off as a Thieves Guild, that he’d morphed into something akin to a spying network within. And that Maea, at this very present moment, slept soundly in the bar that sat atop it. He runs a hand through his hair and snags on a horn again before he exhales.

Though it’s quite different now, not quite so Thieves Guild-like.” He offers with a small tilt of his head, doing his best to refrain from looking at the silver bracelet along his wrist, a signifier. But if she was close with Jigano, if she knew… Well, Jigano had mentioned that perhaps he could teach her the dirtier tricks of the Devil’s Advocates within the training. So perhaps the bard hadn’t disapproved all too much at what Sunjata was trying to do.

So he shrugs lightly once he’s decided, keeping his gaze on her. “It’s more of a spying ring now.
SuNJATA
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
This was... quite different from what she had expected. Maea thought back to what he had said by the river, about how she might learn more about what he did 'in time'. Was this what he had been referring to? A den of spies?

"I see," she responded, hiding behind the glass as she did so. The stillness of her small, slender frame did not betray the intense thinking that went on behind those pale, attentive eyes. Some might be bothered by this. Call it snooping, worry about what secrets this hidden group might possess. Not her, not really. She had spent enough time around the Provost to know that information was the same regardless of how one obtained it, and the important part was how one chose to utilize it.

"So, if someone were to, say, steal something of value from me. You could find out who did it and get it back?" she asked, seeking his gaze for confirmation. Her words were framed kindly, as if she hadn't already figured out they might be open to do the very opposite too. "Who did Zariah want you to spy on?"
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
He lets his gaze linger briefly on her while she sips from the glass, before he pulls his attention away to look around the room they’re in. A hand raises to rub along his neck, along the compass tattoo there as he tries to relieve some of the set in tension from the constant jaw clenching, the coughing at night, and the training they’d just done. But when he looks back to her at her question, capturing her own gaze with his own, he offers a quiet curt nod.

Basically, yes.” He rumbles quietly with a small shrug, letting his hand fall from his neck to fold them along his chest as he leans against the table and looks at her. “Zariah didn’t have us spy.” He offers a bit indifferently. “She disappeared while it was still a Thieves Guild. Went through a couple guild leaders, since.” He reaches up to rub at his jaw then, contemplating, watching her though not really seeing her – as he thinks on what they’re currently doing.

I guess it’s sort of retaliation, but we’re trying to get information in Halo.” He admits, quieter than before, though the whisper comes out rasping and slightly sultry, despite his attempts not to. The illness has taken a difficult turn on his lungs, and he tears his gaze away from her to look out into the grounds that have the sun shining down hard on it, the heat reverberating within the building they stand in already. “Like I said, I don’t trust her. Nor care for her that much.
SuNJATA
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
"Hmm... I see." Her tone could mean anything, and for once the face was impassive as well, hiding any thoughts about that little tidbit. Personally Maea was of the opinion that belongings should be earned, and that thievery was indeed quite the dishonorable thing. But as he didn't put any stock on it and showed no inclination of opening that particular discussion, she saved that can of worms for a different time.

More thought was given to what he revealed about Halo. Their attempts at gathering information. Maea's eyes narrowed at that, her thoughts picking up pace as an idea came to her, one that might benefit them both. If he was willing. If she was, which really was the easier question to answer.

"Perhaps... if you could help me persuade Jigano that I'm not insane for joining anything that has been touched by a Launceleyn... I might be able to help with that? If I'm in Halo to keep an eye on Zariah anyway..."

Maea watched him, looking for a reaction.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
The impassive tone is granted a slight nod, until a thought hits her. And his gaze slinks back over to her with a dark raised brow as she lays the cards on the table and he faces her a bit more full on. His gaze lingers on her as he considers it, sifting through it, before a somewhat bright fanged smile crosses his face and he dips his head. “Jigano knows about us.” He begins, unfolding one hand from his chest as he gestures slightly.

I told him I’d recruit for the Loreseekers in exchange for his help in recruiting people to my guild.” He says a bit quieter again, gaze lingering on her for her own reaction with that. His smile shifts something akin to a small smirk. “So, if I tell him that you’re helping me by doing it, I should be able to keep some of the heat away from you.” His horned head tilts with his own offer in response.

That would be the easiest way, to offer Maea his training and his protection while she goes to train and learn, to dive in deep with the Merciless and see what that was all about, while he had Peter in the Citadel learning as much as he could about the Warden there. And from there? Perhaps he had his bases covered in the end.
SuNJATA
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
Her eyes widened, mouth opening at the revelation. Was she suprised, that Jigano knew? Well... yes, and no. Mostly no. Certainly not that he kept it a secret from the rest of the guild. But actually hearing it was something of a doozy, and took some quick adjustments on her part.

"I did not know that. Seems that bard has some stories to tell, if I can get him to sit still for a moment..."

Apparently her offer was rather welcome too, if his sly grin was anything to go by. Sunjata certainly didn't object, and Maea felt a thrill at the thought of what she was getting herself into. There was some time to think on it still, to consider her options and opt out... but the moment they went to see Jigano about it she would be in too deep to pull out again. As much as it unnerved her, she enjoyed the confidence he placed on her. The fact that this devious, devilish man thought her competent enough to not become an obstacle... it was a backwards kind of compliment that made her stretch just a little bit taller (it did not make a noticeable difference). Breathing in the wordless acceptance like it was oxygen.

"Thank you," she said, and there was a lot things incorporated in that gratitude. Far more than their argument before should warrant.

Perhaps his mistake hadn't cost them quite as much as they feared.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Sunjata gives her a quiet nod in response to the statement about Jigano. It seemed the bard indeed had quite a lot to say and stories to tell about… Well, everything. But he was often busy as well, and Sunjata nods slightly to that quietly as he contemplates whether to tell her the next bit or not. After a few moments of his uncertainty, he inhales a rasping sigh, ruffling his shirt again to cool off. “You know, I saw him after you’d left the river.” He begins, pausing. “I told him I offered to train you, and he thought perhaps I could teach you some of my tricks.

He tries to find a better way to word it other than ‘dirtier tricks of the devil’s advocates’ and settles on that instead. Was it an upgrade? Hardly, but he’d tried. “So perhaps it won’t be as surprising to him as we think it might be.” A small shrug is granted to that, a rise and fall of tattooed shoulders as he continues to look at her with a dark raised brow. “Speaking of, the Guild is called the Devil’s Advocates.” He lifts his horned head slightly to that, as though he embodied it now, when he hadn’t even named the damn thing.

That’s probably the most important of my secrets to keep, so I hope it’s kept well.” He offers her a crooked smile to that, to building a new set of connections over the fast paced version of the old, tearing his gaze away from her for fear that if he looks too long at the way she speaks, that he can remember the taste of her vividly.
SuNJATA