A Fate Worse Than Death
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Age: 30 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 9 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 14 - Int:
MORTICIA - Mythical - Cat Sith (Soul Stroll)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
DELPHIA
Her lips pursed, thinking of Maea and Loren and Abasi...all the Abandoned she had met who worried so about the gods ire, in their own different ways. The unfairness of it. The purse turned to a slight frown, realizing then that it was the extent of the Voice's magic that had undone them. To be able keep her body alive with magic, in such a way that Mort could not intervene...it was unacceptable. She had meant to tell him she thought the Abandoned should be Abandoned no more but...with this in mind she wasn't sure. She didn't know where the happy compromise was.

As his brows furrowed, her own thick brows lifted, smiling warmly at him. "But father, that which you cannot see, I can. The veil she kept on the Spire did not keep me from it." she said, smiling brightly. This perhaps would be the game changer he and Vi and Rae needed. "I would suggest that Safrin's child come as well but...he is not well." she sad, frowning a bit. She had heard the Fallen Star's child had died and he destroyed the Temple before disappearing.

She laughed at his words, a haunting sound really, but hers all the same. "I see, so even a god can be self-interested." she said with a grin, still teasing but lovingly so. Her smile brightened as she questioned her idea, and she nodded emphatically. "Of course! I would teach it to make me the place it hordes away its souls so then I might send them to you." she said with a light laugh. "It is in their nature to find lost souls for fun. I spend so much time working against them, it would be much smarter to simply use their nature to our advantage, wouldn't it?"
Here in the forest dark and deep
I offer you
Eternal Sleep

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
"Not well?" Mort asked kindly, encouraging his child to continue. The Fallen Star was Safrin's toy and of little interest to him as far as things went. But if the man had a role in this that his daughter thought important, he would happily hear of it.

Chuckling slightly he squeezed her hand affectionately. "I think you'll find we can be." He replied warmly. For the most part only Rae broke that mold, but even they had their greedy quirks from time to time.

Speaking of, Mort raised a brow. "You sound like Rae." This wasn't meant as a slight though, and the god smiled warmly at the idea. "It is a clever idea, though I've never seen them bond to another soul before. As you say, they much prefer to steal them away. Though if you're willing...I have a few ideas about how you might befriend one."
mort

Table base by Sky!
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Age: 30 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
DELPHIA
Delphia nodded, frowning as her mind considered all the Fallen Star had been through. ”His child died during Fiat Lux, along with all the others Ludo sent around that time.” One of many children she knew, but Ludo had been quick to collect all who perished and ferry them to Mort. ”In a fit of rage he destroyed the main Temple, then Safrin sent him and his husband…somewhere.” she said with a light shrug, as she did not know what Safrin had done with them. ”Ludo had originally suggested that her chosen assist me though, for they were also aware of the missing souls.” she explained. People who knew of the problem. People who were equally vested in the realm of the gods (as far as she knew).

But of course, this got back to her father’s point – she needed companions. People who she could rely on to help her from time to time. Friends.

But she smiled at him affectionately as he laughed and squeezed her had. ”So is it human of you to be greedy, or is it godlike of humans to be so?” she asked curiously. She would have initially said such a trait was very human, but perhaps she was wrong. Would not be the first or last time after all.

Her grin broadened at his comment about her thinking like Rae. ”If only I were so wise.” she said brightly. ”I’ve been acquainted in recent months with their children, Oia’i’o and Kaimana. Perhaps their way of viewing the world has inspired me.” she added with a light shrug. But her father thought it a clever idea nonetheless, and even had thoughts on how she might implement it. ”I should love to hear your thoughts!” she said with excitement, willing to sit and listen to Mort’s wisdom for eons, ever the doting and attentive child.
I offer you
Eternal Sleep

Change author:
"I'm sure many would have been upset about that." Mort offered quietly. The mortals were very fond of their things and their spiritual places. The god of death had never really been one for such things; all came to him in the end after all. "I could find Safrin, though I'm sure she would answer a prayer, especially of yours, with regard to the placement of this man. Safrin too acts out of rage and while it takes longer for her ire to cool, she can be reasoned with." Mort shrugged a touch at this. "There are the others. Amalia who Safrin is fond of, Jigano who also shepherds souls for Ludo as well. Even Rae's twins who are here might be of use if Ronin cannot be located."

Smiling at this, Mort simply looked up into the canopy of light overhead and breathed in a long sigh of pure warm air. "Both perhaps. They long for things because of their imperfections. Their imperfections set them apart from us in some ways. The yearn for what they will receive in death." Which was Mort's love. Wholeness. Complete satisfaction and care.

Chuckling a bit at this, Mort's fingers twitched for a moment. He could of course simply give his child the companion, but there was something to be said for working for it. The journey and not the destination.

"I would think sitting very still at night in Ludo's woods, so that they might grow used to your company, would help. You might coax one out by speaking to the spirits in the woods, though it might take a few tries. They are quite clever and might know what you're doing. Milk from an Ursur is sure to be a treat. To capture one though will require a ring of elemental stones; one burned by fire, one submerged in water, one struck by lightning, one pulled from deep within the earth, and one flown high enough that the air is thin. Should you manage to place these around one of the creatures, you might find it subtly bound."

Delphia must

1. have a thread where she speaks to spirits in Ludo's woods
2. Get milk from an Ursur and offer it
3. Get all the required stones (feel free to have help!)
mort

Table base by Sky!
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
DELPHIA
Delphia nodded in agreement, for a moment resting her head on Mort’s shoulder. Tall as she was, he was still taller, and at just the perfect height for such a gesture. A child’s death was the saddest death, and she knew her father would fault no one the grief that followed such – even if Safrin might. She committed to memory the other name – for she knew Amalia and the twins, but Jigano was a new one. Another soul shepherd? She wondered briefly how Ludo had managed to bestow that gift on a person, but decided it was likely better deduced by meeting him in person. ”I will seek them out first, so the Fallen Star might have the time he needs.” she said. Though she had never felt that sort of grief over a death, it did not mean she was not sympathetic to the situation.

Her head tilted up slightly, smiling adoringly at him as he spoke on the imperfections of man and what it was they yearned for. ”And what is it you yearn for?” she asked, curious. He wished for people to live their lives fully, but she somehow doubted that was all he wanted.

But as he delved into how to find and capture a Cat Sith, she was quick to take mental notes, committing it all to memory, his word the utmost authority on all things. As he completed his list, she grinned at him, laughing lightly. ”Milk from an Ursur? You are definitely making sure I live adventurously, father.” she said. She might not be as familiar with the Tundra the Ursur called home, but she had visited the place enough to know they were very big, very cute, but also very, very dangerous.
I offer you
Eternal Sleep

Change author:
"Very wise of you, my daughter." He said affectionately, his love for Delphia radiating outwards and making the trees around them blush with his adoration.

Oh what a grand and large question that was. Mort laughed to himself, youthful cheeks threatening to dimple as he gazed up into the light once more. "I yearn to see the life you will lead. The paths you will walk, and to hear you tell me all about them. I know I cannot be here for you as often as you might like, as often as other parents. I yearn for the days you will be with me always." In death of course, though Mort's tender smile suggested he'd never rush the pace of his child's life.

Chuckling, Mort simply shrugged at this. "I don't make the rules. You can take the Cat Sith's culinary tastes up with Rae if you like, not that I think it will do you much good."
mort

Table base by Sky!
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
DELPHIA
The trees blushed and Delphia shone, as bright as any of Safrin’s stars were it a visible light. It was an honor to be the child of Mort, one who loved so fully, who supported all one sought to do. She only hoped he felt his ardor returned, for she loved him more than anyone else in the world.

Her hand squeezed his slightly as he spoke of what he yearned for – which had more to do with her than it did himself she noted. And though one might consider a father talking about the mortality of his child a bit morbid, she knew what it really meant – he missed her, as she missed him. But to be a god meant sacrifice. This was but one of many such sacrifices she was sure he had made in his existence. ”I yearn for that day too.” she said lovingly, returning the sentiment without hesitation. ”Is that how it is for you? Your hopes and dreams and yearnings intertwined with the existence of others?” she asked. She knew if she asked that question of others, they would likely respond with some sort of achievement or some other thing having to do with them specifically. Did he wish for such things, or were they simply below a god like him?

Delphia laughed as well, shaking her head at the notion. ”I should not think questioning Rae would get me anywhere but horribly confused from what I have heard of them. And if I were to choose to meet another of your kin, it would be Vi anyways.” she said, smirking slightly. Vi, the one who held Mort’s heart in his hands. Vi, the reason her father had planned her birth to be in Flowerbirth, amongst Vi’s most beautiful work. To know Vi, she thought, would be to know her father ever so slightly better. And with the thought of him, and the love he shared with Mort, came bubbling up questions. ”Father…how do you tell the difference between the love you feel for everyone, and that which you feel for Vi?” she asked, looking up at him. Humans made it seem so easy to tell, but they were also quick to anger and hate and sadness and a full range of emotions that, while she had access to, were nearly always trumped by her adoration for everyone and everything.
I offer you
Eternal Sleep

Change author:
"In many ways, yes. I am above many of the more mortal inclinations that you might feel given that aspect of your creation..." Mort's lips twist into a boyish and bemused smile as he tries to put into words what it is to want as a god. Truly it isn't something that can be explained, but for his daughter, he will try. "It isn't yearning for any one thing precisely...it's more like...wanting everything to be as good as it can. To look out on creation for me, isn't to desire one thing over another. It's to elevate existence itself. It is one of the things that initially brought Vi and I so close together." He said, a blush colouring his cheeks that he of course didn't try to hide.

'An interesting question, my daughter." He chuckled softly, pushing back a near dread-lock of curls to consider. "I would do anything for all of you, just as I would for Vi. Many humans describe love that way, as a sort of..preferential treatment for their partner. I cannot say this of course, nor do I feel it. And yet it is different. Perhaps because other than Rae, there is no one who can understand our position." Mort's smile widened fully now, his everlasting love for the god of life shining brightly across his features. "My love for humanity is white; pure and bright. My love for Vi though is golden and full of splendour." Softly he shrugged his shoulders. "It's the only way I can describe it. Just like my love for you is a deep amethyst. Proud and deep and full of devotion."
mort

Table base by Sky!
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
DELPHIA
Delphia knew there were many things she could never fully understand of her father's life and realm and existence. She was only half of him, after all, and her mortal half kept her mind bound to a realm he presided over but did not inhabit. But still she tried to understand him, focusing hard on the words he said, and their true meaning, recognizing his higher purpose. "You yearn for the world Caido left you to steward to be the best it can be. Is that almost right?" she said, hoping she was somewhat close. It was such a big thing to yearn for, encompassing so much more than souls and spirits and death - all the things that sang to her with a clarity and familiarity she enjoyed. It always amazed her the sheer vastness of existence, which being with Mort always made amply clear.

The color language Mort used spoke deeply to her, something he likely knew and keyed into - or perhaps it was a shared perception. Spirits used color all the time to convey thoughts and emotions, leaving auras in rainbows hues to be read and discerned. She hummed low, head resting on her father's shoulder as she thought on it more. Here, her humanity clashed with her divine roots. The love she felt for all mimicked her father's, white and pure, given without hesitation or prompting. But had she ever loved anyone more than that? Had she ever felt her love change to be deeper? Brighter? Darker? Anything? That his love for her was deep amethyst filled her with pride and joy, squeezing his hand in response. For a moment her eyes fluttered closed, and in that moment she could see the shift, how she felt for him different from that of others. "Mine for you is deep blue. Filled with comfort and trust and loyalty." she said, opening her haunted gaze to smile at him.

But...

That was it. There had never been another she had felt something more or different for. Even her own family (her mother being the lone exception) was brimming with the purity of love that was blindingly white. What would it be like to have a golden love, filled with splendor? "How did you know though? How did you know when it changed or that it was different?" she asked. Presumably he had not loved Vi with the same golden splendor at first. Presumably it had changed and grown overtime - for she knew the gods were not nearly so unchangeable as mortals thought them to be. And if that was all true...how did one recognize it? How could she recognize it? Walking through life loving everyone and everything as an impulse...it muddied everything for her in a way her fellow human could not understand. Only Mort could, of this she was certain.
I offer you
Eternal Sleep

Change author:
'Something like that.' He said with a paternal chuckle; the sort of adoring brush-off of a parent to their child when there came a topic too complex to be discussed further.

He smiled at that, her sapphire love for him, and he nodded with that understanding. Coming to a halt and placing his palms against her cheeks, Mort gave his daughter a long and lingering look, before pressing his lips softly against her forehead. "You will know, my daughter. You won't be able to miss it. It isn't a switch suddenly flipped, more like the rise of the sun. When you are watching, you can't determine the degrees of brightness. It is only when you look away, when you let your thoughts wander, that you can glance back and see that all has gone from night to day. Love, is like that. If you watch it too hard, stare too intently, you'll never see what it is becoming."
mort

Table base by Sky!
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
DELPHIA
She took the brushing off well, used to it by now. Delphia knew she could only ever understand a fragment of what Mort's life and existence were like, and so she simply accepted it when he put a complex topic to rest. They had reached the edges of her comprehension, and that was fine.

That he stopped so suddenly surprised her, and she turned to him just as he took her face in his hands. She relaxed in an instant, watching him with a loving gaze as her own hands lifted to rest over his. Only when his lips pressed to her forehead did her eyes close, taking in the warmth of his affection and touch. So rarely were they together that she soaked it in while she could; she but a parched plant in a desert landscape and he bu the rain. "As always, I will have to trust that what you say is true." she said with a light laugh. There was much she simply had to trust, and her faith in Mort ran so deeply she was indeed blinded by it.

But she knew to take up his time for too long would indeed be selfish, and a selfishness he could not afford to allow her to wallow in. "So I am to seek companionship, perhaps in the form of a Cat Sith, the soul's of the Ascended within the Core, and be patient in hopes to see this splendorous rising sun." she said, laughing lightly at the last bit. "What else can I do for you, father? How else might I aid your work?"
I offer you
Eternal Sleep

Change author:
At her summary of their conversation, Mort could only laugh musically as he fixed his child with an affectionate grin. "You always were wise beyond your years, my daughter." He beamed.

As for what more he could ask of her? As if he would.

And yet...

"I worry that in our haste to watch over the land, once again creating guardians to track the portals was a mistake." He admitted softly. "The last time this happened they all perished in their efforts, and all I have seen thus far is indecision and pain. I cannot abide what the Voice does to souls over which she has absolutely no domain, and yet I often wonder if perhaps losing this battle that the war might never come is a better option..." Shrugging, the weight of literal worlds on his shoulders, Mort sighed deeply. "Perhaps you might think on it, given your place here."
mort

Table base by Sky!
Delphia Thanatos
Seer

Change author:
DELPHIA
Delphia beamed under the praise, gazing at him lovingly. "If only because I have such a patient father to teach me." she said. She was because of Mort. This second chance at life was his doing, and that he still took the time to help her mortal brain grasp that which she could was a blessing. And he was so good she assumed she would have to beg him for more, but she was wrong.

He sought her counsel. Her counsel. Immediately her demeanor sobered, taking in all he said and mulling on it for a moment.

"I already have some thoughts." she admitted quietly. Thoughts of the Abandoned and Ascended she had met since the barrier had fallen. Questions she had been asked about why the sins of those hundreds of years prior were held against them - even those people who had been brought from other worlds. Her eyes cast down towards the ground, troubled. But she would never deny Mort what he wished. "I will think on it more."
I offer you
Eternal Sleep

Change author:
"See that you do. Your eyes see this world in ways that mine have long forgotten. I cannot walk here with as new a soul as you can, and I would be most interested to know what you think." But another time, perhaps. As with many things, temperance was a skill to be constantly courted.

So saying, Mort reached out his arms to pull his daughter close. "You are one of my greatest loves Delphia, a colour like no other and I am very proud of all that you have become." Pulling back, he placed his hands softly on her cheeks, smiling warmly into her sea-stare. "I wish for all the world to spend more time with you, but every moment here...it changes things for me. Know though that if I could, I would never leave your side."
mort

Table base by Sky!