torchline rules, halo drools (Open)
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
I’m not an artist I’m a fucking work of art
"Is it food?"

It was Jack's natural response whenever it came to Saiden wanting to show him something. The captain, as a rule, didn't like to spend too much time aboard The Ark when she was anchored, but equally she was his home and there was a lot to be done to keep her in shape. The galleon had been swabbed top to bottom by the crew so far today, the sails checked and repaired where needed, the supply stock accounted for and a list made for more to be purchased where needed.

Now Jack was leaning over a large map of Torchline that he had rolled across a large and empty crate. He wore a loose shirt that had been white once, the buttons left undone given the impossible heat of the day, along with a pair of plain black pants. He tapped the toe of his boot against the deck while his fingers danced along a route that they had taken many a time before. He didn't care to look up just yet, not until Saiden got close enough to explain himself better.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
JIAO
Never heard of the Fae? Jiao looked just as surprised back at Saiden, amazed that there were those that didn't even know of her kind. "There's a lot of us...and no. Not everyone looks like me. Do all humans look like you?" Putting her hands on her hips, she frowned at him, becoming less and less fond of Saiden by the moment.

At least he took her rejection well enough and she found her curiosity still led her to want to see the boat. As they approached her eyes widened, the actual ship far surpassing Jiao's expectations in both size and aesthetics; she didn't even mind when Saiden called for yet another rogue-y pirate-y type, something she might have groaned at a moment prior.

Being described as something certainly grated on her though, as well as the response. Cupping her hands before her mouth, Jiao yelled towards the boat: "I'm not food!"
But I still love you tearing me up at the seams
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
our sins are washed away
At Jiao's surprised look, Saiden just shrugged. Glancing at the other people on the beach with them, then back to the Fae, he smiled a bit sheepishly. "I mean, kinda? Like, skin tones vary, and hair and eye color, but the rest of it is pretty much the same." It was clear that he was confused. "I mean, no one's quite like me, that's for sure." The words came out proudly, but not smugly.

Thankfully, the presence of the Ark disrupted any further awkwardness, at least in his mind. When Jack called back, the cook shot a grin at Jiao. He started leading them towards where the other man was pouring over a map. "Captain's here. Gotta pay respects." However, she was already calling back to Jack, causing the Hali to shrug again.

As they approached, he spoke in a more normal volume. "She's not food." Pausing for a moment, he smirked. "Or sex. She's something called a Fae."
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Oh well, that was disappointing. It wasn't food, and it had the audacity to tell him that all by itself. Plotting out the familiar route, it was only when he was finished (by which time no doubt Jiao and Saiden would be in view) that Jack straightened up, glancing between the cook and the something he had brought. "Not food and not sex," he repeated, raising an eyebrow at Saiden as though trying to judge whether or not the other man knew him even remotely. (He didn't, that was for sure).

His eyes lingered on the Fae, taking in the stature, the wings, the other parts that were probably important if he hadn't just been informed that she wasn't sex. "Wonderful. And what is she for?" he wanted to know.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JIAO
Jiao was beginning to grow increasingly frustrated with the way she was being discussed: 'not food or sex' but 'something' else? As Jack asked his question she shook her head in disgust and flew up to the deck of the ship (still a little wobbly - she was only just coming of the right age to use her wings and they were still damaged), crossing her arms and looking very displeased indeed.

"I'm not for anything. If you both keep talking about me like that I'm going to tell the weird guy up the beach that you insulted his charcoal or something so he comes to mess up your boat." She threatened, unsure if Remi actually had any clout here, but it was the best she had. "I came here to see the boat and that's it, but I'm not gonna unless you call me Jiao, my name, that I have, because I'm a person." Lips tight together in a very clearly displeased expression, she glared down at Saiden too for a moment, remembering very clearly why it was she didn't often hang around cocky men.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
our sins are washed away
Saiden nodded cheerfully as Jack repeated the cook's explanation. Strangely enough, he wasn't bothered by the captain's continued annoyance with the Hali. Some day I'll get him to like me. It was an idle thought, and he opened his mouth the answer the other man's question about what the Fae was for.

However, Jiao beat him to the punch. She started mouthing off, and Saiden turned to watch her, amused. His eyes did widen a bit in surprise as she took to the sky (though it wasn't the most graceful flight he'd seen). "Who?" Sparing a confused glance for Jack, the cook soon returned his attention to the angry Fae. At this point, the single intelligent brain cell he possessed suggested he let the captain handle this from here.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
Fat chance of that, Jack idly thought back, in a response that Saiden wouldn’t hear. That being said, the Hali’s cocky remark did earn a crooked grin from the captain, and he followed Jiao’s flight path up to the deck with raised eyebrows, as if she was suddenly worth his full attention. ”Apologies for the behaviour of my crew, Jiao,” he called, straightening up and rolling up the map he’d been poring over. Saiden would likely realise he was interested in the whatever-she-was by the fact that his knee jerk reaction wasn’t get the fuck off my ship.

Instead he began his own way up to the deck to join her, quirking a brow at Saiden in suggestion that he follow. ”Have you ever sailed before?” he wanted to know. And oh the cogs we’re turning already.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
JIAO
Jiao ignored Saiden's question. If he didn't know who Remi was, she thought her threat might have more weight if she left it with some mystery. At least as she reached the ship Jack gave her an apology, one that she nodded at just as her feet gently tapped down onto the deck of the ship. "Thank you." She said, still a little huff in her voice. After all, it had not just been the behaviour of the crew.

"No...I only saw the ocean for the first time this week." She answered, walking over to the edge of the ship to look off the side, leaning so far on the railing her feet left the floor. "In the Greatwood we have little boats for going up and down the river and the lakes, but I never learnt how to use one. Why?" Jiao straightened herself back up, looking over to Jack with a characteristically curious and Fae turn to her head.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
our sins are washed away
Saiden would indeed get the hint as Jack stalked across the deck towards Jiao. Although it caused the cook to scratch his head, he eventually shrugged. Eh. Besides the personality he’s a damn fine captain. I’ll let him handle it. With that, he hoisted the bag he held (which still carried the clothes he’d stolen from the Fae), and wandered to a nearby opening.

It led to the kitchen. He tossed the bag down, then scrambled back over to Jack and Jiao. The Hali listened to her response to the captain’s question, an easy smile on his face. Leaning against the railing, he watched as she leaned precariously far over the side. However, he made sure to keep Jack in sight at all times.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
Jabs about his personality aside, Jack kept his full concentration on Jiao and let Saiden get on with whatever it was he was planning to do. The cook left the range of his telepathy, only to return a few moments later, and he arched an eyebrow over his shoulder as if just having realised he'd been carrying something. A bag of stolen clothes, apparently. Anyway, back to the one who could fly.

"And what d'you think of it?" he asked about the ocean, nodding at a few of his men as they meandered to and fro, as if to tell them not to mind the small woman with wings who looked as though she might fall into the sea. "I'll confess, the only things I know of the Greatwood are from tales and myth. Your folk are a secretive kind," he said.

"I asked because I wondered if you might like to learn."
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
JIAO
Not privy to the telepathic conversation occurring between the two men, Jiao spent her time watching the ocean and ignoring the crew walking about on the ship. Compared to the waves lapping against the boat, they were very boring indeed. She only really looked up again when Jack answered her.

"It's amazing. So big and exciting and beautiful." With a little sigh she leaned on the railing and put her chin in her hand, wishing the Greatwood had had anything even comparable. "Most of the things you think are myths might be true." Jiao explained distractedly, not wanting to really get into her races history when there was an ocean to look at.

Though what Jack said last really did draw her attention. "On...this ship?" She blinked a couple of times, unsure if she'd understood. After all, neither of them had seemed to be too polite to her at first and she had no real qualifications in the area. Still, Jiao was not one to turn down a good opportunity when it knocked, and she had been looking for something to do... "Okay. Teach me how." She stood up ready, as if expecting to learn in the next hour.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
our sins are washed away
Saiden just gave Jack a confused look at the arched brow the captain sent the cook’s way. Thankfully, Jack turned his attention back to Jiao soon enough, so the Hali did the same. Again, he just watched, knowing better than to interject when the captain so obviously had something on his mind.

However, when Jack and the Fae both spoke of myths, the Hali couldn't help himself. "Like what?" There was an open interest in his voice, and he glanced between the other two. When Jiao basically ordered the captain to teach her how to sail, Saiden couldn't help but laugh. It was a bright sound, without any hint of teasing or animosity, just pure amusement.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
Though he didn't say it, Jack was also curious about what exactly from the myths was true about the Fae, but there were bigger things afoot here. Folding his arms across his chest to watch as Jiao tilted so precariously towards falling into the ocean, he found himself unsurprised that she thought he would be able to teach her how to sail, on an anchored ship, near instantly.

"Most of the experience comes from when the ship is out on the water," he said. "I'm on the market for new crew members, if you're lookin' for hands on experience. In the meantime, I can give you a tour." He gestured vaguely at Saiden. "This is our cook, by the way. Don't be fooled by the bronzed statue look - he's not bad." Close to a compliment as he would get.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
JIAO
Jiao gave Saiden a sideways glance, still not sure if she had forgiven him for his rudeness earlier - but if she was going to stay on this ship for a while there were going to be questions about her race and she figured it was best to get at least some of them cleared first. "People think the Tulmhainar, or our magic is fake or just a big story. It isn't. They're all real...the Afanc and Morgen too. The good and the bad stories." Whether or not Saiden would have heard of these creatures was unknown to her, but those were the 'myths' she had heard.

"He's the cook?!" Looking to Saiden, Jiao laughed, covering her mouth. "He dresses like he's the cool Captain!" Seeming to feel much better and superior now, she hopped up onto the railing and nodded, kicking her legs in front of her (her wings were doing a lot of the work to keep her up, so falling was not so much of a concern). "Can I join your crew for a little while and see how I like it? I've been trying to find a better job than just being a Seamstress for the rest of my life. It's boring."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3