Where I was Meant to Be [OPEN]
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
And hung from the rafters
The stratagem swings
When Morgan needed time to consider a new development, she could never do so within the confines of the Citadel, with it's shouting markets and echoing palace; not when there was a chance for one of her lessers to interrupt her with some nothing about schedules. Even worse, Neron could ask her to do something important and she'd have to do it - as much as it was an honour to serve the man, she needed to escape and think on this herself.

She was thinking of course, of the new portal to Torchline. Access achieved through the work of the 'Ascended' (ironic name, she thought. Ascended to what? Lifeless things?), which inherently made her wary of it, but access nonetheless. A new area made accessible meant new people to work out, new threats to assess, and she'd hardly had time to do so for the Hollowed Grounds or the Greatwood.

(Though, as far as she's been able to tell, there isn't much to worry about in either of them. She doesn't like to be too cocky, but she's sure Halo would win in an all out war if it had to come to that. Their opponents are organised like a teenagers bedroom.)

So where to go, with so much on her mind? Only one place for it: The Fangs, her real home, as she often considered it. The only thing that made her regularly want to return to the Citadel other than duty was her wife, who could not be convinced to live out on the snowy stone, yet gracefully rolled her eyes and allowed Morgan to spend a ridiculous amount of time sat out in the mountains staring over the expanse.

This was why she'd been so successful, after all. She didn't just act. Sitting on a ledge precariously close to the edge of a large drop she crossed her legs and put her hands on her knees, occasionally lifting a stone nearby with her mind - something she'd been trying to work on - as she focused and began to formulate her plan, the cloak around her body keeping her from frostbite.
Born from the ashes
Of counterfeit kings
MORGAN
Base Code by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
HOTARU
Fur tickles against wind-pink cheeks as Hotaru ventures through the Fangs. It is an unexplored entity for her, and one that she respects enough to arm herself as she wanders. Though fire is not within her magical grasp, lightning does well enough to start them when she is in need, and she is adept enough with the blade and bow Deimos had given her to rely on those for defense beyond her given powers. For once, however, the snow and ice are at peace. It reminds her sorely of a home that is long gone but whose memories shine bright and untouched in her mind. Sun glinting off stark white, crystals blowing from her feet to her face with every gust of wind. If she closes her eyes she can pretend that she's home. That her kingdom never fell, her family never perished. Here with the chill on her face and the sound of snow beneath her feet, there is nothing but peace.

It's an illusion she can't hold for long. Keeping her eyes closed forever isn't an option unless she'd like to be quite literally dead to achieve it. As she scans the horizon anew, Hotaru is taken aback by a figure on the horizon - recent, or she would have surely noticed it sooner. Despite being aware that it could be anything (cannibal, zombie, various unseen predatory species) Hotaru adjusts her course to track it down nonetheless. Which makes it all the more rewarding when she realizes upon moving closer that it's another woman.

Only once she's close enough for her unexpected companion to have surely heard her coming does she raise her voice in greeting. "Come here often?" It's laced with only the smallest bit of teasing, unsure as she is of the woman's ways. Only when she comes close enough to realize the woman is meditating does she make an apologetic noise and pause. "Ah, sorry, didn't mean to interrupt you. Mind some company?" If not she'll continue on her own trek. Hotaru understands the importance of quiet and peace, especially when she had been indulging in her mere moments ago herself.
over time
even the sharpest thorns
will become soft
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
The stratagem swings
Hearing the crunch of footsteps on the snow, Morgan opened one eye to look out over the snow - seeing someone she didn't immediately recognise she kept her gaze on her. Not moving, only wary but not cautious, she tried to guess where this new stranger might be from, almost a little game: Torchline, Hollowed Grounds, Greatwood? They'd all come for a visit recently, as if the mountains were a tourist trap.

She didn't expect to be approached. A breath was taken as she almost replied to the first question, then Hotaru apologised and she paused again. Company was exactly what she didn't want when it came to her time spent planning, but there was an opportunity here. Not that she wanted to doubt Neron's choices, but she had little faith in the new Spymaster, whom she had only seen in passing but appeared to be a very nervous little man. Perhaps it was worth doing some investigating of her own.

Not that she expected a random woman in the mountains to necessarily know anything useful, but honestly she was not making much progress in her thoughts anyway and this would probably be a better use of the time.

"You may sit here with me." Morgan granted, shifting around a little on the ledge so she was more facing in Hotaru's direction, seemingly not at all concerned by the large drop beneath her feet. "Why are you in such an isolated section of the Fangs? There is usually only the birds and ursur here."
Born from the ashes
Of counterfeit kings
MORGAN
Base Code by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
HOTARU
Acquiescence isn't what Hotaru expects, especially considering how Halo people usually are. They all seem to collectively share a single emotion, and that's irritation. Not that she intends to ignore the offer, and she sits in one smooth motion, peering over the edge curiously. It doesn't frighten her as much as it likely should considering the stranger beside her, but death does not have the same grip over Hotaru anymore. There is more on the other side for her to look forward to than what keeps her here, some days.

The woman's voice comes once more, and Hotaru lifts a knee to plant the sole of her foot on the overhang, wrapping her arms comfortably around her shin as she stares out over the blurred white horizon. Not an unexpected question considering where and how they are meeting, but Hotaru can't help the slow smirk crawling over her lips as she shoots a sideways glance at the nameless woman. "Would you count yourself among the birds or the ursurs then?"

Glancing back across the snow and the chasm before them, she idly swings her free leg. Impetuous, careless. "The greatest secrets and discoveries always lie within the untouched realms," she calmly responds. "I ruled over a kingdom whose lands were much like this. Is it nostalgia or discovery that brings me here?" Turning her cheek to lay upon her knee, she gives a sharp grin at Morgan. "Time always tells. But what of you? You seem like a native if you're aware of the comings and goings of this place." Which makes her all the more interesting and valuable.
over time
even the sharpest thorns
will become soft
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
The stratagem swings
Morgan wouldn't say it, but there was something impressive with how Hotaru sat on the overhang with such ease, given her clear unfamiliarity with the place. Non-natives often stumbled over the smallest of snow banks or got afraid of heights at the smallest peaks.

The question made her smile too. "Neither. Just an observer that respects them both." Respect was important. It was how she had lived in these mountains for all the time she had, by having a healthy amount of reverance for the creatures that lived in them and the stone itself, the way it changed and grew ever so slowly over the years, the way it could so easily kill any it wished to.

Hotaru actually really charmed her, when she spoke of nostalgia and untouched places; Morgan tried not to let it show too much, but she did let a smile reach her lips as she turned further towards this newcomer to answer her question. "I am indeed. I am Captain Morgan Aristomache...I protect the people of Halo. You speak of ruling over a kingdom..in Caido?"
Born from the ashes
Of counterfeit kings
MORGAN
Base Code by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
Hotaru smiles appraisingly at the woman's answer. "An observer? And what are you hoping to see all the way out here?" A gentle probe that she's sure the woman will catch, thus her teasing undertone. If there is anything out here interesting or useful to Hotaru, she will find it. A little help and direction has never gone amiss though. Or deception, if the woman is inclined towards it. Perhaps they are kindred spirits in that way.

The nameless woman turns slightly to better face her, and Hotaru does the same as she props her cheek up on her knee. It feels like a victory to have prompted a smile on her beautiful face. Hotaru mentally sighs at that realization - she's likely taken or straight, darling. Because when is life ever fair to the beautiful and bisexual?

At least she is granted a name; Morgan, and not just Morgan but Captain Morgan. Her own eyes flicker with interest, a spark that travels through her heterochromatic gaze. At the question aimed her way she smiles slowly, something precocious and dangerous in the edges. "In Caido? No...not yet." She winks and gives a small laugh. "My name is Hotaru. My kingdom looked much like this...I'm always reluctant to leave. Were you born in Halo then?" Or had she risen from nothing like Hotaru had? Invaded a different area, made it her own until nobody could question why she was there any longer?
over time
even the sharpest thorns
will become soft
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
The stratagem swings
"Answers. If you spend long enough listening, you can find them in every gust of wind." Morgan answered cryptically, not saying any more of it. Perhaps there was a little possessiveness over the spirits, an inherent dislike for the idea of an Outlander speaking to them, or maybe it was just that she couldn't easily explain it to anyone else, the way your mind had to drift away to connect to the things in the mountains that could not be seen.

If Morgan noticed anything in regards to Hotarus beauty (and well, maybe she did) she did not react nor say anything of it, just listened with a polite look and her leg moving to dangle off the side of the ledge, a surprisingly confident balance still keeping her whole body relaxed and casual. "Ha. There no other Kingdoms worth owning and Halo is off-limits." She stated for the matter of Hotaru's eventual ruling.

"I was and I have never left." Yes, she was aware of the portal, the strange and alien thing that had been made in the Fangs, but did she trust it? Absolutely not. If she absolutely had to, she would find an alternate route to get to the Hollowed Ground. "I assume you came through the new portal. How was the experience?"
Born from the ashes
Of counterfeit kings
MORGAN
Base Code by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
The cryptic answer inspires a soft hum of agreement from the woman at her side, Hotaru gazing out over the sun-bright snow. Perhaps it sounds mysterious or mystical, but she understands. It is something only a snowborn soul can comprehend. "They only ever seem to come so easily out here," she agrees with a quiet wisdom. "Where the noise and the business can't reach us." She tilts her face to the sky as best she can from where her cheek lays against her knee, shuttering her eyes against the piercing brightness of the heavens as she basks in the wind that caresses against her cheeks in a chilled embrace.

Laughter shakes her slim shoulders as she peeks an eye back open at Morgan, a sly smile on her face. "I would tease you about Halo being off-limits, but I'd like to not get pushed off this ledge over a joke." Her heel taps against the stone past the overhang, a quiet but concussive noise that ticks alongside her heartbeat. "Though the idea of living here, even as a faceless woman...it is appealing." More sincerity than she normally offers, but there it is. Though Zariah's presence alone is vexing enough to keep her in the Grounds for now.

"Unpleasant, but not unexpected. I fell through many of them after my home world was destroyed in a war between Gods." Shrugging blithely she clutches her leg tighter to her chest, the discomfort in her stomach coming anew at the memory of the twisting-turning-falling sensation the portals always gave her. "I am definitely hoping it will not happen again."
over time
even the sharpest thorns
will become soft
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
The stratagem swings
Hotaru's instant understanding of what she said made Morgan smile as she reflected that not many would: a lot of people found her more spiritual side to be a weakness of sorts when compared to her more militaristic sensibilities. "I feel that a lot of people in the Citadel would be happier if they dedicated some time to spend up here." Of course, a lot of them wouldn't be able to survive it: it took a special soul to live up on the mountains.

She gave a soft laugh at the joke and shook her head. "I'd arrest you." Was she teasing? Well, it was up to Hotaru to tease and try her, if she wanted to. As for the other woman living there though, Morgan nodded approvingly. Normally she wasn't a fan of outsiders, but when there were so many coming now and Hotaru seemed decent enough... "If you can stand the cold, you'll likely fit in."

Hotaru dropped the fact that her world was destroyed in a 'war between Gods' very casually and Morgan watched her carefully for a moment, intrigued. She'd always worried about their own deities.. "If you will tell me: How did this war begin?"
Born from the ashes
Of counterfeit kings
MORGAN
Base Code by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
Morgan's smile is all the assurance she needs after revealing something she considers private. Not that that's particularly difficult considering her reticence to remove her variety of masks. But there's a kinship between them that eases away those concerns, and Hotaru's answering smile is unfettered and honest. "Ah, but then we'd have to find another place to hide away. I'm quite enjoying it being just the two of us." A tad forward maybe, but she eases the earnestness with a wink and a cheeky grin that she hides in her knee.

"I might like that. Would you tie me up dear Captain?" It's easy to fall into banter with the Captain, to poke and prod the proverbial bear and enjoy each smile, laugh, and smirk she is rewarded with. Though the woman's stoicism is far from off-putting, there's a warmth to her that seems to exude from every freckle and pore when she loosens up. "Then consider it certain that you'll run into me again." The cold runs in her genes after all, and Halo has already ensnared her more than she'd anticipated.

Despite the time and distance from that wretched day, it still causes a subtle shiver to traipse down her spine as she recalls it. "As long as our land stood, we had our given Gods. Unfaltering, reliable. But portals are not just present here, they're a common but difficult piece of magic, usually only capable of being wielded on the power of a deity." Precisely what both Kaos in her land had been and what The Voice appears to be here. "It started small. Sickly creations, rampaging through our land. Parts of the environment dying entirely. They grew stronger, even as everyone banded together to slay them." A rare show of collective force from the Helovians. Something she once would have deemed impossible, and in the end it was all for naught. "But the leader was already in our midst, warping the minds of those who believed him when he offered gifts, power, all in return for allegiance." Kiada had fallen for such sweet words, and she knows the girl still holds that weight on her shoulders. "He grew his power, his following. And then he waged war, killing all who tried to oppose him with no more than a blink. He opened a portal to his own dying world that he meant to corral us into, in hopes of repairing it perhaps? Our Gods sacrificed themselves to keep it stable, to try and weaken him, and in the end our home was lost and the survivors were either scattered like I was, or landed in his sickly world." Perhaps it was better that she hadn't, but nothing will stop her from regretting not being there for her family. And the parallels to The Voice admittedly make her queasy, but her ties to Rexanna wage war against that feeling, keeping her locked in limbo.
over time
even the sharpest thorns
will become soft
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
The stratagem swings
Hotaru's rather forward words were the first indication to Morgan that she might have a different kind of interest than the purely academic, and she paused, a soft smile playing on her lips that would seem almost out of character for the Captain. Soon enough she recovered her usual more confident expression and gave Hotaru a sideways glance. "The mountains have a lot of secret hideaways."

The next thing Hotaru said took it from an indication to a certainty and Morgan laughed uncomfortably, though didn't tell Hotaru to stop: just looked over the mountains with her lips pressed together, as if stopping herself from saying something that might make the situation all the more embarrassing. She had been involved in many a conquest, but very few of the romantic kind: to be suddenly presented with the chance on the edge of a mountain was one of the possibilities she had not prepared for.

The atmosphere grew much more sombre as Hotaru began to speak of the war in her old home and Morgan found herself able to turn to look at the woman again. The tale that was given made Morgan widen her eyes in shock and no small amount of fear, recognising as Hotaru did the parallels with the Voice, the thought of which made her mouth dry. "...I am sorry. I..." Morgan shook her head and looked down to the Citadel, let out a heavy sigh. "I believe we must be careful the same does not occur here. I will not let you lose a new home." Her hand tightened into a fist at her side, new determination in her.
Born from the ashes
Of counterfeit kings
MORGAN
Base Code by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
It seems her luck holds in keeping the pleasant expression on the woman's face, and her own lips curl as her wind-bright cheeks darken with pleasure at the response the Captain gives. "I'm sure we could find a way to keep warm," she offers in playful return, laughing softly into her knee when Morgan's confidence seems to fail her at Hotaru's own bold flirtation. Her discordant laugh is still a pleasant sound for all the discomfort it projects. She lets that topic subside lest she scare the beautiful lass away into the snow.

It's perhaps the best course, for the tone falls grim and oppressive within a short time. Pressing down upon her small shoulders until she hunches closer to where she still hugs her leg, the haunting screams of those witnessing such thoughtless waves of destruction and murders ringing in her ears. The discordant voices of those looking for family, of trying to make a choice in those last moments as the world went to hell around them. Her nails dig into her leggings to try and drown out the sounds, focusing instead on Morgan's voice and the weight that each word has as it falls upon her ears. Her own expression is uncommonly raw and vulnerable, but there's a relief and appreciation that glows in her mismatched eyes as she turns them upon the Captain. "Thank you," she says just barely loud enough to be heard, but heavy with gratitude. "It's difficult to help when I still have so much yet to learn of this place, but I don't intend to let it happen again." Hotaru's expression goes steely as she looks out over the snow, a soft crackle of electricity dancing along her hands until she shakes it away with a grumble, regaining her control as she banishes those dark memories that will always haunt her.
over time
even the sharpest thorns
will become soft
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
The stratagem swings
Hotaru's last flirt was bolder than she'd been so far and Morgan let out a noise that was both a laugh and a half-spoken choke, clearly too embarrassed to properly speak after that. It was incredibly rare for her to be flirted with by someone she considered attractive: perhaps it was her lack of experience in this area that led to her being so flustered by it.

She nodded at Hotaru's gratitude, glad to be back on more familiar ground. There was little else to say, really: promises had been made and all that was left to do was to look out over the Citadel and think for both of them. The silence was comfortable enough and Morgan leaned back against the mountain: when she finally got up to leave she did not know how much time had passed, but the shadows of the Palace's towers were stretching long across the snow.

{FIN}
Born from the ashes
Of counterfeit kings
MORGAN
Base Code by Sky!