Training we are the mighty hunters, the beasts of rodents' nightmares
for Owlalia
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 16 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
LILY
Lily has done a great many things, compared to the average colonial woman… killing something (for food) with her own paws teeth is not one of them. But even that is getting ahead of herself, because first one has to catch said prey. Which is tricky if one hasn’t been practicing pouncing and stalking since kittenhood. She’s entered full-grown cathood and is lacking the essentials. It’s rather frustrating. And embarrassing.

Don’t even get her started on not knowing how to fly yet.

So. Seeing as it’s a lovely Longheat evening and the Field grasses are high and waving and fireflies are out, cat-Lily has determined that this is a perfect time and place for practice. There’s a rustle of movement in the underbrush as she adjusts her crouched position. It’s the tiniest of movements but it’s enough for the small rodent she’s stalking to get spooked a bit too early. It runs and Lily springs, but her paws close on empty dirt.

Fuck! she curses into the empty air, a feline scowl flitting across her face as her ears flatten in dismay. Time to reset and try again.
Hey Mister, you can never own me
I only let you hold me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
AMALIA
Amalia does not often hunt, despite the predatory nature of her forms. She finds the act of taking a life too much responsibility for her to bear; and now that she can hear the thoughts of most animals, the very idea appalls her further. She will eat meat, of course, and accept that others hunt it, but she would rather not actively partake in the hunting process herself. Or be anywhere near it. Or think about it too hard.

That said, rodents make for easy target practice, and Amalia needs to push herself if she ever hopes to regain her strength. Her legs, still useless, dangle beneath her and negate any real hope she would have of causing harm; her wings, however, are strong and sure as the owl circles over the Fields and tries to bury her revulsion and fear at the memory of the tragedies that occurred here weeks ago.

She spots the cat from high above, too pretty and pristine to be anything but an Attuned. One she doesn't recognize, by sight or pushing mental pulse. Curious the avian circles lower, until she rings around the feline, still coasting through the air. Hello, she offers gently. Out for an evening hunt?
You are flesh and blood
And you deserve to be loved
and you deserve what you are given
And oh, how much
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
LILY
The mental presence of another startles her, and she reacts… well, like a cat, jumping in surprise, splay-limbed and wide-eyed. Green and large, she stares at the owl before identifying it as another Attuned. And the voice is… familiar. Amalia? she asks, cocking her head and adjusting herself to face the bird. It’s Lily. There’s a little pulse of happiness as she cat-grins up at her friend. The entertainer hadn’t seen her since Fiat Lux and of course, she knows (everyone knows) what happened to Amalia in the temple, so there’s also a little thrum of surprise to see her out and about.

Um, yeah. Or trying to. I’m not great at the hunting thing. Ears flick down against her head in frustration, but she shakes it off. What are you doing?

She kind of means shouldn’t you be resting? But of course, she isn’t going to say it.
I only let you hold me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
AMALIA
Amalia cannot help a little bit of silent laughter as the cat leaps and arches it back, a bit chagrined at having startled the other. She's surprised, though, to be recognized by someone she does not know- and then more surprised to realize she does in fact know this feline. Lily? When did you Attune? There is clear delight in her mental voice as she circles around the cat, coming to an awkward and very graceless landing, her legs still weak beneath her. Indeed, she plops rather than landing, but at least she doesn't fall over entirely.

She does look rather ridiculous, though.
Trying to get some exercise in, Amalia replies ruefully, stretching out her wings. Flying is my best way of getting around these days. She doesn't clarify: news has gotten out by now, she knows, of her recent misadventure and resulting wounds.

Tilting her head in proper avian fashion, the owl smiles mentally. I could help you practice, if you like? Except I, uh, I never actually catch anything. I find the idea of actually killing things... difficult.
You are flesh and blood
And oh, how much
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:
LILY
Right before Fiat Lux she replies, happiness and pride and a bit of something else at the memory of that delicious orgasm surging from her briefly. Frey helped me, she adds quickly, making Amalia the second person she’s declared her allegiance (eh, that’s a strong word - let’s go with preference instead) for the deity to.

Yeah. I bet being in a bed all the time is boring as fuck. She looks up at the owl and tilts her head in genuine empathy. I’m sorry that happened to you, will you let me know if there’s anything I can do to keep the boredom at bay? because what are timelines? With a whole-body shudder of delight, Lily takes a few eager steps forward at Amalia’s offer. Oh, that’d be wonderful! I just want to know how. I don’t think I could, like, actually kill a mouse or something with my mouth.

Because yuck. There’s a lot Lily likes to do that’s out of the ordinary, but crushing a small rodent’s windpipe or breaking its neck isn’t one of them.
I only let you hold me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AMALIA
If her happiness falters at the knowledge that Lily has chosen Frey to align with, it is only for a second. I'm glad, she tells the cat earnestly, honestly. Becoming Attuned is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Being in a bed all the time is boring, and Amalia has finally overcome her pride and anxiety enough to acknowledge that fact and escape. Shaking her head in dismissal of the apologies and sympathy, Amalia again extends a wing as though to say don't worry about it. Getting out is good. And exercising. I'm trying to keep my arms strong, at least.

Smiling (internally) at Lily's delight, the owl nods her heart-shaped face. Okay - the first thing you have to do is to be really aware of your surroundings. Here - I'll fly up and scope out the prey. You tell me when you notice one, and where it is.
You are flesh and blood
And oh, how much
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:
LILY
In that, they agree. Attuning is the best, most exciting thing to ever happen to Lily. It means anything is possible. It means that life of prior drudgery and nothingness wasn’t the be all end all, that they are not born into places in society and that’s where they’re forever meant to stay, that the Christian God is not the only God. His rules, his mouthpiece’s declarations, will not affect her here.

Attuning means freedom, and freedom is all the open-minded redhead has ever wanted.

Okay. Giving her full attention to the owl, the cat nods and begins to look about, all senses searching for the information. Other than the occasional movement of her head, she stands - perhaps too high for practical reasons, but for a beginner, she thinks it will help her see the prey better. It’s logical, but not necessarily practical, as she finds that her ears and nose are far better suited to discerning movement. There’s the natural rustle of the grass and then there’s the unnatural rustle of movement, the scratching of paws and tiny nails against the dirt, the smell of something blood-filled and warm.

It takes her more than a couple of minutes of careful listening, fine tuning what she’s sensing and filtering out unnecessary information. But eventually she sends to Amalia, There’s a lot of noise, but to my right… maybe fifteen feet away? There’s something. It’s moving slowly. Exactly what it is, she doesn't yet know. Maybe a mouse, a vole, or a chipmunk? Definitely something small, and probably fairly fast.
I only let you hold me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AMALIA
While Lily listens and observes Amalia circles around, her keen senses picking up movement with little by way of difficulty. She has been Attuned for a year now, far longer than Lily; the animal instincts are part of her, now, but she remembers that initial struggle, the way it felt to try and perceive the world in a whole new way. Try not to rely on your eyes too much, she counsels, catching the way the other woman perches high on her haunches. Your vision isn't as good in this form as it is when you're human, but your hearing and smell are infinitely better. Use those to narrow down on your prey.

The owl is patient as Lily orients herself, noting a creature to the right. Adjusting the angle of her wings, Amalia turns her attention there: A burro, she clarifies, her own sharp eyesight making out the small, strange figure. It's scavenging. Its hole is about ten feet to its right, making a triangle between the cat and critter; she wonders if Lily's aware. What will you do?
You are flesh and blood
And oh, how much
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:
LILY
Amalia is right and Lily knows it, feeling slightly foolish for trying to approach a distinctly animal situation like a human. But she is eventually able to hone in using her smell and hearing and there’s a pulse of satisfaction when the owl confirms her guess.

A burro! She’s heard of them, but never seen one before. Knowing that they’re big diggers and probably has an underground escape route (but where?). Nothing the angle of Amalia’s wings, she slowly adjusts - one paw beside the other, trying not to make a sound, putting the burro ahead of her instead of to her right. Try to get as close as I can without it noticing? Stay low so it can't see me? Lily asks, beginning to inch forward - in perhaps a painfully slow manner.
I only let you hold me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AMALIA
From her vantage point Amalia watches the cat stalk her prey, her slow and steady movements met with a pulse of approval. Low and quiet, she agrees, Until it's in pouncing distance. A different distance for each feline, to be sure.

But Amalia is growing bored of watching, her own predatory and playful instincts itching to push her into movement. She's been cooped up for so long, and she didn't come here just to watch someone else move. Time for Lily to meet a real challenge.

Don't forget- being the hunter doesn't mean you're not prey! It's the only warning the woman will receive before the owl dives, a bullet of cream crashing down from the sky. She's smaller than the cat, not a real threat, and she doesn't intend to grab her or anything (couldn't, even if she wanted to), but if Lily doesn't move she may feel talons scraping featherlight across her spine, and hear an avian laugh.
You are flesh and blood
And oh, how much
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:
LILY
A different distance for each cat, and different sized prey. Lily can’t imagine Sunjata or Remi taking the time to stalk a burro, let alone being able to get close enough to one to pounce.  They’re big, noticeable, flashy felines. Lily will eventually be able to coast under the radar unless she wants to draw attention to herself. Hopefully.

Remi would also try to teach her this lesson, perhaps subconsciously, of the two sides of predator and prey. Lily thinks she’s being stealthy, able to get almost within pouncing distance before Amalia gives her a warning, causing the cat to flick her head up towards where the owl is supposed to be, only to see it diving towards her. With very little time to move, she does a weird hop/flop sideways, scrambling and undoubtedly sending that burro towards its hidey-hole.

For a moment there’s a pulse of anger in the connection as the perfectionist in her rues the lost pretty. After a moment it dissipates, followed by some wry amusement. Ok, real question for a minute. Everyone seems to have big shifts but me. How can only small animals be what’s truly in my soul? She seems disappointed, pouting in a cat-like way. Surely it’s as big as any of the men’s.
I only let you hold me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AMALIA
Lily dodges her not-quite-neatly, causing Amalia to rise again with a cluck of avian laughter. It fades, though, at the small cat's ire, the question causing the owl to click her beak in thought. And then another laugh - I weigh less than you, she points out.

But she understands the question, how it can feel inadequate when size becomes important - though again, it only seems important to men. Dropping low again with a comparative spread of her wings Amalia once again tries to gently grasp at the cat's soft fur, though this time she has a second plan. Am I less than a man, too? she answers playfully, shifting to the diminutive otter and attempting to land herself awkwardly on Lily's back.

The size of your body has nothing to do wit the size of your soul. You're playful, curious, intelligent, and clever - much like a cat.
You are flesh and blood
And oh, how much
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:
LILY
Unsure what Amalia means when she says she weighs less than Lily, the entertainer stores it away to decipher later, perhaps when she actually learns about velocity and flight.

This time, she keeps a close eye on the owl as it circles and then drops closer, talons out – and Lily is prepared with a questionable defense: shifting as Amalia does into her nightingale form, which is arguably even smaller than either of their ‘predators.’ Lily should have flown, taken to the sky when Amalia comes to the ground, but she can’t and as a result, doesn’t entirely escape the otter. The lump of fur and flesh hits her squarely on the head. It causes a mental chuckle, as little feathered head peeks out from underneath the fur. You’re more than most men I’ve ever known, scorn for the male half of their species tinging the last half of the phrase. I didn’t mean it like that… only that this she spreads her small wings to indicate herself, while it has a beautiful song, feels…  useless.

How can she go adventuring with the other Attuned when she can’t carry her own weight?
I only let you hold me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AMALIA
She doesn't expect the small ball of feathers to appear beneath her, soaking up the weak attack and leaving Amalia chuckling as she rolls onto the ground, an oof leaving her lungs at the unexpected impact. That was a good trick, she comments silently, shifting into snow leopard form and sitting awkwardly on her immobile hind legs.

Tilting her head, the leopard rumbles another laugh. Reaching out with a large paw, she playfully swats at the bird, encouraging her to try and dodge. You're small and stealthy, you can keep an eye on everyone and scout ahead. You won't cause avalanches or cave ins. And you have a beautiful songs. All my shifts sound... The leopard shudders expressively. Barn owls, it turns out, are not good singers at all.
You are flesh and blood
And oh, how much