Training used to be soft
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
but there's chaos brewing
underneath my skin
Keep going was an echo, a line, she eternally crossed. It was her foundation. It was her familiarity. Keep going, become better, do something. Persistence, fortitude, endurance. It varnished over in the singsong rapture of her sister’s lullabies. It lacquered and stuck to her in pieces of her mother’s compassion. She’d burst from the conflagration of perseverance until it marooned, quartered, and harpooned her, washed her over shackles and surf. He wouldn’t have to tell her twice.

She swallowed down the memories boggling her now, forced her mind to concentrate on feints, watching, witnessing, as he went through another series of motions. It was like a trick, a ruse, and the youth smiled at the dedication to even the slightest hint of mischief. When he was done, she went through her own series of mimicking contortions and motions, holding her sword in the same gesture, bringing her blade over, and then twisting it into something else altogether: extending, extending, extending, until it was like another piece of her arm, something blunt and if it were more than just wooden proportions, sharp and serrated. A thrust, a rush, a rampage.
trying to hold in the storm
instead of making waves
MELITA
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my whole life is mine, but whoever says so will deprive me,
for it is infinite.
As Melita mastered the feints in a shockingly short amount of time, Amun nodded in approval. "Excellent." Turning back to face her, he slipped into the guard position once more. "Now. Let's practice everything we've learned so far. Overhand strikes and blocks, feints, and the use of your hands are all fair game." He paused to let that sink in to Melita, and to see if she had any questions.

Then he stepped a good distance back. Waiting until she was in position as well, he raised his sword to a guard position. Then he sprang forward, with as much speed as he could muster. It was a simple strike, from her left to her right, more probing her defenses than anything else.
by being moved I exert my empire,
making the dreams of night real
AMUN
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
underneath my skin
No questions, no inquiries, the notion of understanding passing through on a singular nod. She conducted it like a test, like an examination, like a scrutiny, hastening her disheveled wits into something resembling calculations. Everything they’d done. Everything he’d instructed and orchestrated. It wouldn’t be instinctual or inherent, not yet, but if she could proceed in the same way she’d yearned to master her staff, or the bow, then she might have a chance, a sway, in future proceedings.

She took up her position as he motioned back, then came reeling towards her; muscle memory from weapons made of sticks, from worlds with naught but the fervency of their need to survive, ensued the motion of her wooden blade. Her intentions were to block at first, raising it slightly to snag or catch his onslaught, strength billowing through her clenched jaw, her grating teeth, her rapacious edges.
instead of making waves
MELITA
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
for it is infinite.
Obviously Melita would be able to block Amun's blade. She was faster and stronger than him, so his only real advantage here was experience. Said experience told him that trying to match her would be futile, so after their blades clacked together he disengaged and danced back. Of course, he didn't go far.

Eying her, he stayed a short distance away for the briefest of moments. Then he sprang into motion again, this time with a reverse strike. It started moving from her right to her left. However, halfway through the arc he shifted, the initial attack a feint. Moving into a lunge, he thrust his practice sword towards her chest.
AMUN
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
underneath my skin
Melita knew her way around a staff, and though the sword wasn’t completely different, she wasn’t accustomed to its build, to its impact, the same way she might’ve been with more familiar munitions. She could block and she could snarl, but nothing was accustomed to muscle memory. Everything was painstakingly slow in that regard – she had to think, she had to puzzle, she had to segment.

She should’ve seen it coming, after all their practice, but alas, it was not to be. Her initial defense had worked well to a point, and he’d danced away, inevitably springing into another series of motions and movements. The girl sought to brandish it in return, except she was fooled by the feint: intending to rampage and block again along his arc, only to find him coming at her chest. Perhaps only the instinct to guard herself ensured no foreboding bruises, but as she went to bar the impending assault, her arm twisted in a strange, bizarre way, leaving her elbow upwards, uncomfortable, and the rest of her blade pinned against herself.

So she pushed back again – a tried and true method, her full body into the designation.
instead of making waves
MELITA
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Good news: Amun’s feint succeeded. Bad news: He was hardly able to capitalize on that fact as, even though her arm was trapped against her own body, as was her sword, she was so much stronger than him that when she pushed against him, he had to stumble back a few steps.

And then he tripped and fell flat on his ass.

However, he rolled to his feet as quickly as he could. Dashing forward, he hoped to maybe somehow catch her while her stance was off. His left hand shot forward, angling towards her wrist in the hopes of continuing to shove it out of place, or at least to hamper her ability to counterstrike. Simultaneously, he swung his sword in a regular strike again, and this time there was no feint, and he aimed for her left shoulder.
AMUN
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
underneath my skin
No time to revel in the bare-minimum successes; didn’t even get a chance to smirk or smile as she sent Amun sprawling to the ground. Everything was too quick – because that’s how life was – fleeting and rapid, swift and altering, and no enemies rested, no adversaries waited. There were many limbs at play now, with one of his hands shooting out, grabbing for her wrist, and she attempted to dodge, to shift, to reel away from the left, out of range.

This might have helped as his wooden blade came for her at the same time, and she swung, almost blindly, haphazardly, a reckless endeavor, intending to catch it again. Instead it placed her at an awkward angle, and for all her flailing, the edge of his blade tipped over hers, and still bruised against her shoulder. A feral hiss was all she concocted, before striving to sweep her sword back towards him, intending for somewhere along his chest.
instead of making waves
MELITA
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Amun’s hand was enough to muddy Melita’s counter strike, even if it didn’t work out exactly how he was expecting. However, given how fast and strong she was, even her wild flailing with her blade proved dangerous. Her blind strike managed to whack him in the head, hard enough to rattle his skull. It opened a shallow cut that bled fluid towards his eyes.

While his own attack landed on her shoulder, he had to stagger backwards. Blinking furiously to try and clear his eyes, he saw her sword coming towards him. Although he instinctively blocked the attack, the force from her strike was enough to send his own sword slamming into his chest instead of hers. Reaching out with his free hand, he attempted to slap her arm aside in the direction of her blow, trying to use whatever remaining momentum she might have to throw her off balance so he could disengage properly.
AMUN
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
underneath my skin
The wild, reckless abandon in her swing likely shouldn’t have signified anything – except it had, in a cut that meant his body had been harmed, her gaze watching the fluid blend into skin. The notion they’d likely gone far enough began to take shape in her mind, wooden swords meant for practice and skill, rather than brutalizing, and she likely would’ve said as much had he not continued.

But – they couldn’t feel pain. Machine-like, in that way, incapable of those telling warning signs to back off. Her brow furrowed, caught in between what she’d like to do.

No time mattered thereafter, for he returned the gestures with blocking, with his free hand reaching for her even as the other was useless beneath her strike, her arm slapped upon, going off-course, slinking through the air instead of anywhere near him. It was just as well, perhaps, a calling sign to be done for the day (even if she didn’t want to, even if there were so many other unrelenting, avaricious, grating, rapacious things she yearned to try). But there would be subsequent instances for those intervals, for those lines in the sand to be crossed. So her eyes glanced back to the dripping fluid, to lifelines scattered in the wind, to burdens neither needed to share in these hours. “Time for a break,” placing her sword edge’s down in the dirt, no other movement made to attack or defend, the ferocious smile wound along her mouth. “How’d I do?”
instead of making waves
MELITA
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Already, the wound was knitting itself closed, the Ascended’s famed accelerated healing repairing the damage to Amun’s body. Still, it was for the best that Melita called for them to halt. Lowering his sword, he swiped a hand across his eyes and forehead, trying to clear off the fluid that had already stopped flowing out of the cut at such a fast rate.

Grinning at her question, Amun rested the point of the practice sword on the floor. "Very well, spitfire." His tone was quite impressed. Tilting his head to one side, his grin broadened. "So well, in fact, that I should probably be the one asking you for lessons. Maybe next time."
AMUN
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
underneath my skin
Apparently she needn’t have worried about his wound – head tilting as she watched it heal, stitching skin and sinew back together. Her memories of LongNight, Rexanna’s broken battered body, perhaps had been glossed over with the notion of the Penumbra’s frame being too badly damaged to have healed so quickly, so swiftly.

At his praise though, she bowed her head, diving into a strangled curtsy with the sword still in her hand. “Thank you. I’m sure it was because of my teacher though.” And perhaps some predilection from her other weapons, the forms not so readily different and departed from one another. “Next time indeed,” and there she grinned again, a promise of future endeavors, efficient steps, and choreographed artistry in munitions and upheaval. Thereafter though, they could wander away from the training grounds, time spent in practice and precision, in rest and pondering for whatever disaster was doomed to head their way.

(-FIN)
instead of making waves
MELITA