it may be piss
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Age: 33 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Kyra Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
”We did,” she says, realizing just how lucky she had been growing up. In some ways she’s always known it, always been thankful for them; yet talking to Loren just hammers it home. She can’t really imagine being treated by her family the way he was treated by his. ”Did you have any good relationships?” she asks, wondering if any of his family had been halfway decent. Surely they couldn’t all be cruel...yet she knows that is a naive thought if she has ever had one.

He changes so suddenly she actually sits back, not necessarily in fear but certainly in shock and surprise. After a moment her eyebrows raise, and she cocks her head slightly. ”I never said you couldn’t,” she points out. Korbin could hunt and kill, but that did not make him a hunter, not at heart. ”Only that we don’t all need to be. What do you want to be, Loren? Because either is a fine answer. Hell, both is a fine answer. But you should never feel less if you don’t relish throwing yourself into danger or taking a life.” Only fools relished it, and sometimes Weaver was a fool.

He turns back into himself though, and she leans forward again, drawn to him for some reason she can’t quite understand. On principle she has not exactly befriended the people taking over her home. Not that she’s tried to make them her enemy, but she’s kept her distance. Yet he was so easy to like, to talk to. Damn. ”Think about it. Have you never kept anyone safe? Keeping them safe sometimes is all you can do. No matter your magic, no matter your skills, we will all meet death. It is only a matter of when Mort wills it so.” The gods may hate her, but that doesn’t change the fact they control their lives. They are puppets in a larger game they will never truly understand, at least not in this life.

Weaver cranes her neck, pretending to look for his ass. ”You know, I can’t yet comment because I haven’t seen it,” she says, turning back to face him with her playful grin. ”Attached to you though, I assume they are right.”

His next question is so honest, and her lips curve into something more than her usual grin. It is alive, her eyes just a bit wild, a girl full of life and hope and fire that she would share with the world, if she could. ”Simple as that.”

weaver

-- ask no questions, and you'll be told no lies --

Quote by Charles Dickens

the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
The white sheep of the family
Hesitatingly, Loren's brow furrowed. Finally, he sighed, and gave Weaver a sad look. "My younger sister was as kind as she could be without getting caught. I...didn't trust it though." He couldn't help the guilty tone from creeping into his voice.

Remaining silent for a long moment after her questions, he rolled his empty mug between his palms. "I've never taken a life. But I could if I had to." It came out quietly and hesitantly, and he found he couldn't meet her gaze.

"As for what I want?" He shrugged. "I don't know. Just to...help people. But I take it too far, get too protective." Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair. "And I have no qualms throwing myself into harm's way, which apparently is a sign that I don't take the fact that people care about me seriously enough." It came out in a slightly annoyed tone.

Forcing himself to take a deep breath, he ran a hand through his hair. "I know that. And I have. It's just...I'm a control freak, and I have a hard time letting other people just fuck things up when I know it's a bad idea."

His fingers grew white knuckled around his mug. "Apparently, I need to learn to let go, and let people make their own mistakes otherwise I'm displaying a lack of trust and taking away their freedom." It came out in that same slightly aggrieved tone, though he shot her a weak and apologetic smile, since he knew that letting go was the right thing to do.

He just had trouble accepting it, obviously.

The weak smile morphed into a slightly stronger grin. "Would you like to?" Rather than being suggestive and flirty, his voice matched her playful demeanor.

As she smiled brightly, his own slipped away. However, his eyes studied her features, trying to capture the expression on her features so he'd remember it next time the dark thoughts stole over him. "Okay." Taking another deep breath, he let go of the mug, let his hands drop into his lap. "I'll do my best." It came out softly, barely above a whisper.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Age: 33 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Her brows crease slightly at the mention that none of his family, really, was kind to him. She believes him, and for once, finds herself at a loss for words. What a hell of a way to begin, but she isn’t going to tell him that. He already knows it. Instead, she lets the topic drift for the next one. ”And I hope you never have to. I’ve only killed animals, and I don’t even necessarily enjoy it.” Ningos, poor bastards, and the occasional larger game when she could manage it.

She can almost hear the way he parrots the words, probably, the annoyance in his tone sounding much like the way Weaver might have thrown her mother or her old brother (or Zariah’s) words back at them. Weaver grins just slightly, amused at the familiarity of it, though not at the topic itself. ”I think it probably depends. Do you throw yourself into harm's way needlessly, or with good reason?” Which of course was somewhat subjective, she knows, but at the end of the day she is the sort who operates on the principle that what the doer thinks is all that really matters.

He continues, and she raises an eyebrow slightly. ”If you can throw yourself into danger enough to piss off other people, you probably have to let them do the same. If it’s not going to get them killed, and you give your advice, is it so bad to let them learn? Some of us are pretty hard headed and only learn by doing.” Certainly she knew that was true of herself, having to learn a whole lot of things the hard way.

”I take it you’ve had lectures on this from well-meaning friends or drunkards?” She asks, not so much expecting an answer but making the observation. She’s less into lecturing and more into simply pushing someone else to figure it out for themselves, which it seems he’s done. Eventually he’d turn head-knowledge into heart-knowledge. No one could lecture you well enough to make that change for you.

Her smile curves into something more playful though. ”Right here, in the middle of the tavern? If so, yes, because I find that highly amusing.”

He seems to steel himself for the idea of living, and she drops her hands to cover his in his lap, leaning forward close enough to kiss him. ”Good,” she says, a breath away from him. ”You get up tomorrow and you do your best. And then the next day, and the next. And you don’t overthink it and you don’t worry about pasts or futures or whatever else. You just live. That is all we can do.”

weaver

Quote by Charles Dickens

the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Shrugging, Loren drummed his fingers on the bar, not quite able to meet Weaver's eyes. "I was raised as a soldier." Sighing, he leaned his elbows on the wooden counter. "And I lived in two worlds at war." His voice was quiet and sad. "So if I had to, I could kill someone." There wasn't a trace of doubt in the words.

He pressed his lips together at her question. "I always think I have a good reason. Other people disagree." Glancing back at her, he spread his arms a bit helplessly. As she went on to explain that he had to let others risk themselves like he was willing to risk himself, he rubbed his eyes tiredly. "I know. I just...value myself less than I tend to value others." He made a disgusted sound at the back of his throat.

Lowering his hand, he let out a huff of bitter laughter. "That I have." He made no attempt to hide how annoyed those attempts and lectures and 'well-meaning' words had made him.

Grinning weakly, he rose from his stool and turned slightly away from her, giving her a clear shot. "Far be it for me to deny you your pleasures." This time, his voice was back to the slightly suggestive tone from earlier, though it was clear he wasn't putting much effort in.

However, he turned back to face her as she leaned forward, only . Smiling faintly, he raised his eyebrows. "And how would you recommend I live life to the fullest tonight?"
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Change author:
”So you keep saying…” she says, giving him a bit of a sideways look, like maybe she can see some sort of secret beneath the words. She can’t, of course, and yet she wonders why he keeps insisting that he could kill someone. Maybe he wants to. Maybe he wants to prove himself in some weird way. The worst part? It makes sense, and she doesn’t even blame him if it’s true. Yet she doesn’t ask, letting the topics drift on.

She chuckles slightly, shaking her head as he points out that others disagree. ”Maybe you need a neutral third-party to decide,” she says, though it’s a joke. The real way of the world was exactly as he described it. It was Erebor yelling at Weaver for being foolish, and Weaver yelling back that they needed food. She understands his plight. ”You could value yourself more than others, and you’d get yelled at for that too. But if you value others, then by extension, you care about what they care about. And apparently, they care about you.” She can see why they do, too.

He stands, turning around to give her a view of his ass, and she laughs lightly. ”Mmm, it is a good ass,” she agrees. He turns back around to her, and she gives him her usual, mischievous grin. ”What would make you happy? Not numb, but actually happy? That is what you do tonight.”

weaver

Quote by Charles Dickens

the Firebrand

Change author:
Biting his lip, Loren shrugged. "I was raised as a child soldier. Killing, or being okay with killing is kind of...part of the deal." He gave Weaver an almost apologetic and certainly chagrined smile.

His eyes, though, were haunted.

"Are you offering?" Unsurprisingly, his tone indicated that he very much doubted that she was. Sighing, he toyed with his empty mug. "I don't know why though. That's not...I mean it is self-pity, but I'm not fishing for compliments or anything. I just...don't know." Letting out a bitter laugh, he shook his head a little.

As she asked what would make him happy, he studied her features. "This." With that, he closed the last little bit of distance between them to place a chaste kiss on her lips.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Change author:
She shrugs. ”Seems to me you are a grown ass man who can be who he wants.” And then she leaves it at that. Because it’s not her place to tell him who he should be. He can be the child soldier; there’s nothing wrong with it. Or he can be something else, if he so chooses. That is the point. Choice.

”Hmm, perhaps. I would either be really good or really bad at it though. Are you willing to risk it?” She was rational and logical enough that she might actually be half decent at the job, but at the same time, she was still a girl made of fire. And besides, she probably wasn’t all that neutral. ”That part I can’t help you with though. You have to figure out how to value yourself, in whatever context, on your own.” Be it simply because others value him, or because he finally learns that he is simply worth valuing.

He closes the rest of the distance, and the kiss is chaste. Some part of her knows she is still, likely, just a distraction for him. She knows she should probably care, and yet finds that she doesn’t. Instead, she kisses him back, the sort of kiss that simply enjoys. It isn’t hungry or devouring, merely savoring.

weaver

Quote by Charles Dickens

the Firebrand

Change author:
Letting out a huff of bitter laughter, Loren nodded at Weaver's words. "You would think. But everyone seems to have an opinion on what I should do and who I should be." It came out as exasperated as his laughter had.

Shrugging, he continued toying with his mug. "You can't be any worse than the other people I turn to for advice." He gave her a faint smile, though this time his tone was self-deprecating. Biting his lip, he looked away. "I'll work on that." He sighed, and pinched the bridge of his nose, clearly unconvinced of his ability to find his self-worth.

Thankfully, the kiss was a more than welcome distraction. He made no move to deepen it. Instead, he simply reached out to cup one of her cheek gently in the palm of his hand.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Change author:
She chuckles slightly. ”People do like to have opinions on everything. Or maybe they are just trying to help someone who hasn’t quite figured himself out?” It is a question, but the sort that isn’t looking for a response so much as something to be asked inwardly. She wasn’t going to tell him who to be, but rather, simply to find out who he wanted to be.

”Challenge accepted,” she says with her mischievous grin. It would be terribly fun attempting to give the worst advice possible, though it is not something she would actually do without making it vastly clear it was not advice to be followed. ”Though really, if you need someone, I can try. I use booze as a mediator and or lip loosener, as both are usually helpful.” It had worked damn well tonight, hadn’t it?

Her hand snakes behind his neck, fingers light, and she enjoys the kiss for a while longer before breaking it, though she stays close, resting her forehead to his if he’ll let her. ”Will there be more of this?” she asks, and it is entirely unclear if she means the drinking or the talking or the kissing or more. Or all of it. Possibly she just means all of it, but really, it’s just a question of possibility spread before them.

weaver

Quote by Charles Dickens

the Firebrand

Change author:
Shaking his head a little, Loren set the mug on the bar and dropped his hands to his lap. "Maybe they are. Or maybe they're just trying to get me to fit the image they've painted in their head of what I should and shouldn't be or do." His voice came out more bitterly than he'd intended and he gave Weaver an apologetic smile.

Grinning faintly, he gestured at the empty mug he'd put down, one of many he'd consumed this evening. "I hardly need help in that regard." Then he took a deep breath. "But...thank you. I might just take you up on the neutral third party thing." His smile, while still slight, was genuine, and lit up his entire face.

As she broke off the kiss, he made no move to pull away. At her question, he let out a huff of laughter. "Yes." Forehead pressed to hers, he stared into her eyes. "Or at least I hope so." It came out slightly hesitantly, and he reached up with his other hand so he was holding her face in his palms.
Will blood tell

Coding base by Sky!
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Change author:
She chuckles slightly, but it’s a sympathetic sort of sound. ”Well, that too,” she concedes. Sometimes people really just did want to exert their own will. It seems like something Loren was well acquainted with. She isn’t a complete stranger to the concept either, though her mother had simply encouraged her to be her, whatever that may be. It’d been enough, and Weaver doesn’t much give a damn what others tell her.

The smile he gives her next though feels real. As real as the conversation they’d had, but she finds she is glad to see the shadow over him cast aside, even if only for a moment. It’s the sort of smile that reaches his eyes, brightens him, and she can’t help but wonder what it would take for him to smile like that more often. Perhaps that was wishful thinking, between his past and life in Caido. And yet, Weaver could be a wishful, fanciful thing sometimes.

He doesn’t pull away but meets her eyes, and she finds herself staring back into the ocean of his. Both of his hands cup her face, and she stays there like that for a long moment. The heat of his skin against her own, his breath mingling with hers. Her lips curve into a soft smile. ”I am not hard to find,” she says in response. Halo was a small town, and she could be found in the bar or the school, in places that he would know to look for her. ”Or I might just get hurt on purpose to come visit you,” she says with a tease, giving him another quick kiss before standing up.

She slides off the bar stool, their empty mugs discarded on the bar. The place itself has emptied out a good bit, and she wonders just how much time has passed. Korbin was probably pissed she was late (she was always late, you’d think he’d have stopped caring), and she knows she should get home to her brother. ”I’ll see you soon,” she says, hand running across his arm and she steps past him and heads out into the cold Halo night.

(finished)

weaver

Quote by Charles Dickens