gone to hell
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Arialla let out a brief chuckle, responding with light-hearted sarcasm: "No, Samuel, you absolutely must lay bare all your secrets before me!"

Taking the clothes, she went upstairs and changed quickly, returning within a few minutes. The pants fit her well, though she'd had a little trouble with the shirt buttons -- they didn't use such fastening at home, and while she'd figured out the principle, she'd struggled with the unfamiliar motions of actually getting the buttons into the holes. She'd done up enough of them to appear decently covered, then given up, so that the shirt hung open at the bottom. Having no idea how the styles were actually supposed to look, she'd left them all askew, and appeared quite disheveled, though she didn't realize as much.

"You have a lot of books in there," she said. "Are you a scholar?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:

That she was in a good enough place to make jokes made Sam smile in return. Maybe this Outlander would adjust quicker than the others, despite her initial confusion. He'd seen some fail to adapt entirely, becoming obsessed with their old lives and ignoring anything of the world around them.

When she came down with the shirt buttoned funny, open at the bottom, he couldn't help the little laugh. "That's not quite right. Would you like me to show you how to put it on? ..On myself, I mean. I won't touch you." He pinched the bottom of his own shirt to show he only meant to touch himself, not wanting her to think he was trying to do anything inappropriate.

As for the books... "I'm a bookmaker. I write and copy books, and bind them." He explained, reaching behind him to take one from a pile and hold it out. It was a small green book bound in leather, with a simple press of a crown in the cover. "Like this."

Samuel
He took a step but then felt tired
He said, I'll rest a little while
But when he tried to walk again
He wasn't a child

Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Arialla nodded at Sam's offer, flushing a little. She knew she hadn't put the shirt on right, but she had hoped it wouldn't be so obvious ... Ah well. From what she'd seen of Sam, he wasn't about to make fun of her, and she appreciated that. Better get it fixed before she went outside, though, because she doubted the same would go for everyone. "Yes, thank you. The clothes here are unlike the ones at home."

Books weren't common in Arialla's life -- she could count the number she'd seen in her life on both hands, and that was high for someone from her hometown, the result of her priesthood. Literacy wasn't that low, but scrolls were a much more common form of writing. She'd seen more expensive and elaborate books than the one Sam showed her now, but she could still appreciate his craftsmanship. "Fine work. Do you have so much need for books, though? You must have enough in this house alone to fill a library -- how much writing do you all do here?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

As Sam suspected, she wasn't used to shirts. Given what she'd been wearing when she'd arrived, it was hardly a surprise. "Alright, so..." He stood up and showed her on his own shirt how each button lined up neatly, then untucked his shirt so he could tuck it in again, showing her how to neatly pull it out enough to look nicer. When he'd done he sat back down, hoping he'd explained it well enough to save her from further shirt-related mishaps.

"Well, a lot of these are my personal collection..." He supposed he did have rather a lot of books. He'd never really considered it; being Ascended meant he didn't need his home for a lot of the bodily functions people might require facilities for, so he had just seen it as more storage for his work. "But the Atheneum in town is a very large library indeed. At the moment I'm trying to write copies of older books there that are falling into disrepair - it could easily be a lifetimes work."

Of course, he had more than one lifetime, if things went well; still it was enough to keep him occupied for a long while.

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Arialla Calimeris

Change author:
Biting her lip in concentration, Arialla watched Sam closely and copied him, tucking in her own shirt and pulling it out a little. While she still didn't look completely at home in the garment, at least she no longer looked like ... well, like someone who'd never fastened a button before.

"What do the women here wear?" she asked, over the course of this. "The same thing?"

Her eyes widened at the idea that there was a library in town that Sam would consider "very large" compared to his own collection, which had already exceeded her previous experiences at least fiftyfold, if not more. "That's so many books! What are they all about?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Arialla looked much better after his instructions had been given and Sam smiled approvingly, glad that he could help her to make a good impression on the other people she would meet in Caido. Her question caught him a little off guard and he found he had to think about it for a moment, never having really spent much time considering women, nor the clothes they wore. "Well..um...some of them dress similarly to this. Some wear dresses or skirts...or blouses. I suppose it just depends on how you'd like to dress." Especially with the arrival of Outlanders, fashion was in a constant flux.

He laughed at her simple question, far more difficult to answer than she apparently realised. "Any topic you could imagine relevant to Caido. I tend to stay in the history or legends area, but there are books on sciences, stories, collections of poems, art...even some guides for things like etiquette or..um...relationships." Sam looked off to the side and smiled, not wanting to get too in depth about some of the 'relationship' books he'd read at the Atheneum.

"Jigano, the man that runs the Loreseeker's guild beneath the Atheneum, would be happy to show you anything you need. He's very kind. Are you a scholar?"

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Arialla Calimeris

Change author:
Arialla nodded, intrigued by Sam's answer -- she knew what a dress was, and a skirt, but not a blouse. But she could tell by the way he spoke that the topic wasn't his favorite, and she suspected why. Men never paid that much attention to women's clothes, did they? They wanted women to look beautiful but weren't interested in the details of how they did it. She thought this without bitterness; rather, she found it amusing. Touching the bundle at her side, where she'd carefully folded her previous raiment, she said, "These clothes do seem more practical than my robes."

Noting Sam's reaction to that last topic, Arialla smirked a little and raised an eyebrow. "Relationships, hm? Do the people here have to learn that out of books? Or is that a topic of personal interest?"

It occurred to her too late that maybe she shouldn't tease Sam, after the kindness he had shown her, and considering that she didn't actually know him that well. She started to blush herself and couldn't help giggling a little. Struggling to master herself, she shook her head. "I am a priestess."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"The robes were rather beautiful, though." Sam smiled gently, not wanting to insult her old clothes, even if they had not been appropriate for Sanctuary. "Perhaps for a party or some kind of event, you might be able to wear them. Some Outlanders here wear their old clothes for special occasions." Bastien came to mind, who had actually gone the extra mile to commission outfits from the market designed as his old world had.

Her question made him laugh, an embarrassed smile frozen on his face. "No, no, plenty of people manage on their own. I've read books on every topic in the Atheneum. It's just...one of those topics." Sam hoped to leave that particular line of inquiry there, not wanting to discuss his love of romance novels with someone he'd just met.

A priestess...ah. That explained her immediate obsession with Gods. "Oh, well...we have some devout servants of the Gods here. Maybe...you could meet Amalia. She is a follower of the Old Gods."

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Arialla Calimeris

Change author:
Arialla smiled, blushing a little. "They were ceremonial, designed to honor Apollo. We wear -- wore -- more practical things, usually."

She wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to wear holy raiment for a secular occasion, actually, but she didn't want to shoot down Sam's idea. Not when she could see that he was trying to bring her some comfort. And putting on the robes again might indeed comfort her -- at the very least she would certainly wear them to the shrine, when she went to pray. While she planned on trading away her gilded sandals for a more pragmatic choice of footwear, she'd like to keep her robes, as a reminder of home. And nothing would part her from her necklace, a sacred talisman of Apollo.

Sam's embarrassment made her chuckle, but she let him off the hook with no more than that: to tease him too heavily would poorly repay his generosity. Then she took note of the name Sam gave, committing it to memory. "Amalia. Yes, I'd like to learn more about the gods here. Do you know where I could find her?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"Oh, I see. We don't really...wear special clothes for our Gods." The idea was interesting. He was sure it would lead to further mockery from the general public, but he wondered if The Voice would like her followers to wear anything special for her. ...Probably not, he decided. She was hardly one for aesthetic concerns.

"Yes - she has a bakery. She is...actually...my half sister." Perhaps it was odd to tell a complete stranger what was still half a secret, but Sam found it freeing to get the information out, and well...it was going to become public knowledge at some point. "We, um, do not get on very well, but I'm sure she'd help you with what you need. If you go to town and look for a bakery on a corner...it's there." The smell alone would be able to guide her there, he reckoned; while he had his problems with Amalia, she could make some very appealing food.

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Arialla Calimeris

Change author:
Arialla frowned a little. As a priestess, she found the idea of not showing the gods proper respect -- through one's dress, through one's manner -- a bit distasteful. But then she shouldn't judge the customs of this new land. If their gods had never requested it, then it must be all right. And, after all, Arialla had sometimes wondered herself if the gods actually required all the pomp and circumstance of temple life, or if it served more to make mortals feel better about their relationship with the gods, more secure.

"I've generally found the gods to be more receptive to devout, heartfelt prayers than outward trappings," Arialla offered, speaking aloud the conclusion of her train of thought. Apollo had granted her greatest prayer before she became a priestess, simply because she honored him in her heart -- in fact, it was that blessing that had led her town to elect her as priestess. "Not that they don't enjoy due respect, but all the shows of worship will ring false if they hide an empty heart."

Then Arialla smiled; the thought of visiting a bakery raised her spirits. The food here wouldn't be much like home, she suspected, but still, sweets always helped her mood. She noted that Sam seemed a bit hesitant about his relationship with Amalia; she didn't want to pry, but: "I'm sorry to hear that you and your half-sister don't get along. I'll be sure to seek her out; thank you."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"Mhm..though, some of the Gods here...don't show respect to everyone, regardless." Sam mentioned, first of all as a bitter aside, but then he thought about it for a moment and looked at Arialla. Was she abandoned? If that was the case, she was about to have a rude awakening when she arrived at the shrine. "This...might seem like an odd question. But do you feel like you have any magical powers?"

He was sure Amalia would help her regardless. A little sourly, he thought that Amalia would likely help anyone willing to bow down to her Gods, including himself.

"It's...a work in progress. We only discovered we were related a month or so ago." Sam didn't know why he was telling her this, but the words fell out and it actually felt good to explain it to someone, the bizarre situation he'd found himself in with his family.

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Arialla Calimeris

Change author:
Arialla smiled, a bit ironically, at Sam's statement. Clearly they had very different ideas of the proper role of gods ... The idea of gods having to show respect for mortals amused her. That wasn't the point of gods. But given their prior discussion of the worship due to gods, she doubted she would change his mind, so she decided to drop it, instead focusing on his question. "I am no witch or sorceress, no. I was granted the blessing of Apollo, but it isn't something I can turn to tasks."

Listening to the ambivalence in Sam's voice, Arialla nodded. "And you follow conflicting gods ... I can see how that would place some strain on a family. Especially if you became aware of your kinship only after quarreling."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"..I see." It still wasn't totally clear if Arialla was an Abandoned who had simply not yet found her powers, but it seemed likely she was Accepted; while Sam himself had opinions about that, he was glad for her. It would make things easier for the pious girl to blend into the world before her.

"It is something a lot of us will have to face, as The Voice gains power..." A sobering thought and one Sam left in the air for a moment, sipping his tea. Then he shook his head and put the cup down. "But this is too much for you on your first day. If you need somewhere to stay, I could guide you to the manor. Then you can find your way from there." After his experience with Nate, he wasn't about to welcome any Outlanders into his own home.

Samuel
He wasn't a child