Drink the Sea [Open]
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
For a moment Arialla's mood dipped, as she considered the odds of catching the favor of not one but two gods in her lifetime. It had been unlikely enough for Apollo to pay attention to her; how could she expect to get that lucky again? But she had no choice but to try. She nodded in response to Jigano's words. As one of Apollo's favorites, she well understood the benefits of a god's affection. Though she also knew, from many tales, that the attention of the gods sometimes came with great costs -- they could ask much of their champions, and getting one god's favor could place one in an unfortunate position with that god's rivals.

"Oh, I see," Arialla said, when Jigano spoke of his rocky relationship with Safrin. She felt a bit awkward now, asking him for help with her -- as well as experiencing a notable wave of curiosity, wondering what could have passed between them. And she frowned a little at his description of offerings. "Flattery I can do, but I'm no great artisan ... I suppose I'll have to buy something. What is the currency like here?"

To be honest, Arialla had no idea how she could make money here, but she didn't want to mention her poverty to Jigano, lest he take it as a request for charity. She'd asked enough of him already, she felt. Perhaps she could spend some time beach-combing, since she had plenty of experience on the shoreline -- it wouldn't make much, she expected, but she only needed a trinket, didn't she?
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
"Heart matters more than form, but intent seems to be the most important thing," he agreed with an encouraging smile. "Even something that you find, some particularly beautiful flower or stone - or shell," he added, reaching up to tweak the ridged shell Isuma was playing with so that she growled happily at the game. "Something beautiful that makes you think of her, or that you would like to keep for yourself, but that you sacrifice to her altar would do."

He glanced to the sea again, still marveling at how overwhelming it was, vast and powerful beyond what he had imagined from mere books and travelers's tales. "Currency, though... there's the rub. Most of us Outlanders seem to come from worlds with coin or scrip of some sort. I suppose such things require functioning governments and an agreement between people of distant lands that the same metals are valuable. Here, though, the governments are sparse and so far they operate on a system of barter and trade. Raw materials, favors, labor... that sort of thing." He smiled wryly at the young woman. "If you can fish or hunt you can trade meat for most things in most places. You can perhaps try and gather firewood for sale to those too busy with other tasks to search for it themselves, or offer to wash dishes or serve tables at one of the bars around the various regions?"
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
"Something that I want to keep for myself but sacrifice to her ..." Arialla's hand went automatically to the golden necklace at her throat, her last visible connection to home. No, she certainly wouldn't be offering that to Safrin. She doubted the goddess would appreciate receiving the sacred symbol of another god, anyway. Then Arialla smiled at Jigano. "Yes, I think I can do that. I'll just have to keep an eye out."

She'd planned to do some beachcombing anyway, so she could probably find something -- though she could see already that she'd fret over making sure her offering was adequate.

Arialla nodded, though she didn't love the idea of working in a bar -- a latent snobbery that she'd never discovered in herself before. She wouldn't mind carrying firewood, though. "I can do that. I was planning to beachcomb a bit, actually, to see if I could find something for trade ... though I do have to wonder if shells and such are considered valuable here."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He watched her thinking over his suggestion, and saw the gesture to the necklace. His smile turned sympathetic as he nodded to it. "Some people have offered up the connections to their old world, but you certainly don't have to. May I ask what the necklace means?" It wasn't a symbol he was familiar with, but it might have been a gift from a family member or lover for all he knew.

Jigano offered suggestions, just a few among many possibilities, and he chuckled at her point. "Maybe not here," he admitted. "Where anyone can just walk out their door and pick up beautful sea-gifts. But the portals between regions aren't in wide use yet. The difference between Torchline and Halo's environments is extreme, and many don't want the danger or hassle of travel. You could gather things here and take them to the Hollowed Grounds to trade, for instance. Both the Hollowed Grounds and Halo need fresh food, and Halo needs firewood year round. Perhaps you could make the shells into jewelry for trading? String them on thread or leather thongs to make necklaces, bracelets, that sort of thing?"
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:
Arialla blushed: she hadn't even realized she'd brought the necklace to Jigano's attention. "It's the sacred symbol of my god, Apollo. One of the first things I received on entering the priesthood. I doubt Safrin would enjoy an offering already dedicated to another god, even if I were willing to give it up.

Though, now that she thought about it, it did occur to Arialla that Safrin might be offended if her new worshipper wore the sign of another god. Jigano had said she was jealous, hadn't he? Perhaps Arialla ought to leave off the necklace when she visited Safrin's shrine, though she was loath to even take it off. She could just put it in a pocket, at least.

She nodded at Jigano's advice, appreciating his ideas -- and the fact that he was taking the time to advise her. "Taking shells to the Hollowed Grounds I can most certainly do. I don't have much experience with making jewelry, but I can certainly try it."

It wasn't as if she needed great riches, after all. As long as she could somewhat support herself and set a little aside for an offering for Safrin, Arialla would be fine.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"You may have a point," he conceded with a wry smile. "Not unless you were giving it to her as a symbol of switching allegiance, but you don't seem the type to abandon your loyalty so soon or so easily." The necklace and her Apollo clearly meant a great deal to her, and even if she was trapped on Caido permanently she might not be willing to give up something she had built her life around.

He offered what suggestions he could, nodding when she mentioned traveling to the Hollowed Grounds rather than Halo. "Travel between Halo and Torchline is, ah, rather challenging, given the extremes in temperatures," he admitted with a chuckle. "The Hollowed Grounds is an easier transition either way, but I live and work in the Grounds, so perhaps I'm a bit biased. My Guild is based out of the Atheneum, so if you ever have questions feel free to come find me there." He looked back out over the ocean with hungry eyes for a moment, then tore his gaze away to glance back towards the bustling Port, resignation at the need to return home soon fighting his excitement at sharing this new tale with his mate.
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:
Arialla shook her head. "No, I can't ... "

She still felt plenty loyal to Apollo, and that continued loyalty made her doubt this entire project of calling on Safrin for a moment. Back at home, it wouldn't be a problem -- one called on the god whose domain one's prayer involved: Poseidon for sea voyages, Zeus for weather, Apollo for healing. As a priestess of Apollo, Arialla had to offer him her first loyalty, the greatest portion of her prayers, but no one expected her to completely cut herself off from other gods. But that didn't seem to be the case with the gods here. And she couldn't just abandon her previous devotion to Apollo now that it was no longer convenient -- maybe it would have been wise for her to do so, but she wasn't that kind of person. And if she did ever manage to get home, she'd want to return to his service.

"I've never been to Halo," Arialla said, finding geography an easier subject. "I'm not exactly well-prepared for the cold -- it was always warm at home. Like here."

She nodded and, seeing Jigano's gaze move towards the Port, said, "Thank you for answering my questions, and for the advice. If you need to be elsewhere -- or if you want some time to yourself -- well, it probably wouldn't hurt for me to get a start on that beachcombing."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He understood her continued connection to the god of her old world, nodding sympathetically. Hearing her unfamiliarity with Halo he nodded ruefully, trying to decide how to explain it. "Halo is a land of eternal ice, with snow and cold and temperatures below freezing at all times of the year. As the seasons turn towards winter - called Deepfrost, here - the bitter cold only gets worse. You'll want many layers and a heavy coat, scarf, gloves, and hat before you go there." He glanced around the tropical paradise with a wry smile. "Harder to find such things here, but you should be able to trade for them in the Hollowed Grounds. There are four seasons there, from the heat of summer - Longheat - to the cooler weather of autumn - Leafchange - to the snows of Deepfrost. And spring - Flowerbirth - too," he added, so Arialla would hopefully recognize the names if she heard them from Naturals in the future.

She was perceptive in noticing his desire to return to his family and he gave her a slight bow of gratitude, Isuma peeping happily from his shoulder. "Thank you, Arialla. I hope I'll see you again soon." With a final friendly wave he started to make his way back towards the port, though he stopped often to drink in the sea with his eyes, wondering how to put it into words for Rory.

Eventually, though, he made it back into town and to the portal, leaving the warm sun and blue sea behind.

For now.

{Finished}