Drink the Sea [Open]
Kalynd Adane
Scholar

Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: 6 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 8 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Lion Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
All at once, both Jigano and Arialla turned to Kalynd, and he had the feeling that he imagined a mouse must feel when cornered by two large cats. On the one hand was Provost Jigano, a man he respected who gazed at him with an expression that Kalynd read as intensely skeptical. And then there was the woman, who stared at him with large eyes that looked on the verge of tears. He did not want to be the one to dash the last vestige of hope she had, but he would not lie either.

"I haven't found any notable concentrations of psionic energy to study, no," he said. "Beyond the usual leylines that do not seem to emit the same sort of magic that the Portals emit. From what I've studied of their construction and function, the Portals pull Outlanders in and infuse them with Caido's magic--assimilating their forms and even their lingual abilities to become compatible with this new realm. My theory is that the only way this could occur is if the Portals are a phenomena governed by Caido's rules. This... makes it unlikely, in my opinion, that the Portals can be reversed to return Outlanders to their point of origin."

He gave Arialla an empathetic look and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, hoping to comfort her. "We will all continue to study these Portals, though. In the meantime, perhaps you can find a way to make a home here. Find something to occupy your mind." He'd wasted no time in finding things to study when he had emerged in Halo and learned just what sort of magic he'd discovered in the ruins of Jagtharr in his own world, where he'd opened the Portal hat had brought him here.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
It wasn't the answer any Outlander wanted to hear, really, but he could hardly lie about it. There was no way to make it happen that he knew of; not even the gods had been able to send anyone back. At least, none of the gods they'd met so far. He turned to Kalynd, hoping that his colleague might have something new...

But he wasn't surprised when the young man answered in the negative. He raised a brow at the mention of 'ley lines' though, a term he'd not found in Caido yet, but which he'd read about on Golarion. There was... quite a lot there that he didn't recognize, in fact, but Kalynd was still very much a mystery to him and he assumed that much of it came from the young Outlander's previous background. "Well, it was worth asking. We never know what we'll find, after all, and it's worth checking whenever we find someplace new." He nodded deeply, almost a shallow bow to Kalynd in gratitude for his information and gave Arialla a sympathetic look.

"Kalynd has the right idea. If we can't do anything about returning you home at the moment, perhaps you can distract yourself by finding a place here? At least temporarily, until you can make more headway on your quest. My knowledge is mostly of the Hollowed Grounds, but if there's a way I can help you get settled there I'd be happy to assist. I don't know if it's technically part of being the Outlander Advisor, but it's definitely part of being a Loreseeker," he added with a crooked grin he shared with Kalynd.
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
Arialla followed Kalynd's statement as well as she could -- she wasn't sure she understood all the concepts he spoke of, but "governed by Caido's rules" seemed important, and of course she got the message of "unlikely to be reversed" loud and clear. But she forced herself to smile, if wanly, at Jigano and Kalynd instead of looking crestfallen. It was comforting to know that there were other people here working on the problem of getting home -- that she wasn't alone in her quest.

"I've been living in the Hollowed Grounds as well, but I prefer Torchline," Arialla answered Jigano. "It's more like home here ... I was a priestess, but I barely even know the gods here. Still, I intend to visit a shrine as soon as I can. I did not wish to disturb the gods with my plea until I had oriented myself and exhausted any other possibilities, but now that I have, I can only cast my hopes before them."

She shrugged slightly. Ignorant to the gods of Caido, she really didn't know what to expect when she prayed ... though she still harbored a hope, deep in her heart, of reaching her own Apollo, even though Sam had told her that gods from beyond Caido couldn't hear her here. Perhaps it would be different for her, a consecrated, personally blessed priestess -- perhaps her prayer would get through where a layman's would not.
Kalynd Adane
Scholar

Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Kalynd nodded. He felt some respect for her profession, as the priests of his own city and those he'd visited in his travels had earned that esteem with their hospitality and knowledge. He gave the woman an encouraging smile and said, "The gods are willing to listen here. Though you may be far from home, you are not alone," he encouraged her. They seemed like the words that someone might need to hear in that moment, though Kalynd was not particularly adept when it came to social interactions, so he supposed he could be entirely wrong about that fact.

Either way, he was glad that Arialla had at least found Torchline, a place that reminded her some of the home she so clearly missed. He hoped that in time she would come to establish a new life here. He'd done so for himself, for whatever it was worth, and he wouldn't wish a life of aimlessness or purposelessness on any Outlander who had to contend with the natives of this land and find a way to make their living.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"This is my first time in Torchline," Jigano admitted ruefully, looking back to the ocean with all its mystery and power. "I've been too busy to come sooner... though I probably should have." He hesitated for a moment before reaching into his pocket before pulling out a small glass-like sphere and examining it carefully as he spoke again. "The gods here are split between New and Old," he explained to Arialla, with a nod to Kalynd. "There is one new god, called the Voice, whose followers are the Ascended. The old gods are Vi, god of life, Mort, god of death, and Rae, god of Nature. They are rarely seen by mortals, but their... heralds, for lack of a better word, are Safrin, Ludo, and Frey, respectively. You're more likely to encounter one of them or the Voice if you pray at a shrine here." He paused, then looked to the auburn-haired women with a cautioning note. "Though there are... others who might answer a prayer as well."

He tilted his head thoughtfully at her, glad that Kalynd was able to provide so much support and kindness to soften the blow of there being no easy way back from whence she came. "What sort of god did you serve on your world? Perhaps if they have similarities to one of those here, it might give you an idea of who to direct your prayer to?" A directed prayer was generally safer than a general one. You never knew who would answer a vague cry to the heavens, or what their intentions would be...
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Arialla smiled, appreciating the reassurance from both Kalynd and Jigano. "If the gods cannot answer my plea directly, I would hope that they could at least set me on the right path ..."

She noted Jigano's sphere-checking curiously, but decided not to ask about it, considering the amount of information she was already requesting. How many more new concepts could she even handle right now? Instead, she focused on his account of the gods. "Samuel told me about the Voice. He said that she brought us all here ... I can't say that inclines me very favorably towards her."

The idea of something malevolent answering her prayer almost made her wince. Yes, there were always those who would take advantage of faith, and here, adrift from her god's protection, she might need to be careful.

"I serve ... served" -- putting it in the past tense hurt -- "Apollo, god of the sun, lord of light, music, and healing."
Kalynd Adane
Scholar

Change author:
Kalynd remained quiet as Provost Jigano spoke. He kept his arms tucked behind his back, his expression interested. Even after two years in this land, Kalynd still found the existence of the gods fascinating. Though his own people had worshipped deities of their own, those deities had never appeared or reached out to bless their people. Some of the inhabitants of Kalynd’s homeland claimed to possess such a connection to their gods, but Kalynd hadn’t witnessed such blessings himself before he’d come to Caido.

It must have been different for Arialla, Kalynd thought. She clearly was accustomed to her gods listening to her pleas and guiding her through her life.

When she spoke of him, Kalynd gave a slight nod and looked to Provost Jigano. “Perhaps Vi would be a good choice, then?” He respected the place of all the Old Gods, knowing that without one, the balance of life on the whole would be skewed. He supposed though that not everyone might think that way. Everyone had their own beliefs to contend with, he supposed.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"They'll either show up to see what you have to say, or they won't," Jigano said to Arialla with a wry shrug and a smile towards Kalynd to see if the other Attuned agreed. "But from what I've experienced and heard from others, they're more inclined to let us find our own ways. They don't appreciate being called lightly for troubles that they expect mortals to solve for themselves. That being said..." His smile tilted a little crookedly. "I am a servant of Ludo and Mort, and I've come to follow the old gods, so I'm rather biased against the Voice myself. The old gods are far from perfect, but the Voice has caused her share of strife and problems, too, especially recently."

He didn't recognize the name of her god, and he frowned thoughtfully as he tried to find a domain that would suit. He considered Kalynd's suggestion, but gave a slight shake of his head after a moment's thought, giving his colleague an apologetic smile. "If she seeks to serve an ideal, Vi would be a good match, but he rarely answers mortal prayers. If she wants someone more likely to take a personal interest in her, it would be... hmm... either Frey or... Safrin." His voice caught a little on the last name, but he gathered his poise again and smiled at Arialla. "Frey is a god of nature, pleasure, and procreation. Safrin... is a goddess of the stars. We don't have a god dedicated to healing or music here - more's the pity." A genuine lament from a man who had made his way as a bard. "But though she can be vain, jealous, and temperamental - and please don't tell her I said that - she is one who lavishes favor on those who serve her loyally, and who she takes a liking to." He paused, smile turning crooked and losing some of its gentle humor. "To those she takes a dislike to, though, she can be quite cruel."
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:
Arialla absorbed the two loreseekers' suggestions, her heart sinking as Jigano pointed out that there was no god here who corresponded well to her Apollo. Though, she realized as she examined her feelings, even another god with the exact same domains would never replace the lord she loved. Perhaps it was best -- more respectful to her old god -- to move in a new direction.

"A god of life would suit me, but I do rather hope to have my prayer answered," Arialla said, considering the idea. "And Safrin is his herald? Does she have other domains, besides the stars?"

She was leaning towards praying to Frey, honestly, but the notion of "pleasure and procreation" made her a tad wary. Not that there was anything wrong with that, but it ... wasn't her thing.

"Hmm ... What of the gods you serve, Provost? Ludo and Mort? You said Mort was the god of death, and Ludo his herald ..."

Somehow Arialla found it hard to associate the kind, calm man she'd met with death, but then she'd only known Jigano for a few minutes. She ought to know better than assume that she understood him based on her first impressions.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
((Skipping Kalynd with Lion's permission; we can continue the thread without him))

Jigano nodded a farewell to Kalynd as the man took his leave, before giving Arialla his full attention.

"Safrin holds the stars and night sky in her care, as well as watching over life with her creator Vi. Those are her primary domains, though she seems to be a patron of beauty as well. Particularly her own, or artistic praise dedicated to herself," the bard added wryly. "For those she favors she's quite forthcoming with answers and information, though." Certainly Amalia had always had better luck asking questions and getting answers of the Lady than Jigano ever had.

The orb in his hand glowed soft and steady, and he breathed a quiet sigh of relief as he tucked it away again, his smile becoming warmer and more relaxed at the questions about his own deities. "Mort may be the god of death and the afterlife here, but he's a kind, loving being, one who welcomes souls to rest and haven after they've lived out their span upon Caido," he explained. "He's patient and in no hurry to bring any soul to his realm sooner than it must be - why would he be? We all end up with him eventually, and he has all the time in the world to wait for us. He and Vi are a pairing that work well together, and, ah, very, very closely. Vi creates souls and life, Rae helps that life grow and change, and Mort gathers the souls when their bodies die to shelter them in an afterlife where they can be with their loved ones who passed on before."

The bard's smile turned a little crooked as he looked out over the ocean-blue, as if seeking the shadowy flick of rags hiding in the waves. "Ludo, now... Ludo is a mischievous herald-god. It guides the souls of the dead to Mort's realm and holds the domain of memory and remembrance. But it likes to play tricks on the living. Usually they're benign, but sometimes... sometimes they can be a little scary. Ludo wears a white mask over fluttering black rags, and enjoys being, well... spooky," he finished with a fond chuckle. "It likes offerings that are related to memories, especially childhood toys and games, or approximations of them for Outlanders who couldn't bring much with us."
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:
"Hmm." Arialla turned over the descriptions of the gods in her mind. They were all very different from the pantheon she was familiar with, as she supposed befitted an entirely other world. It made her feel lonely and far from home all over again -- most of the foreign gods she knew of from even the most distant lands of her own world fell into familiar domains that she could relate to one of her own gods. But Caido seemed to have divvied up its divine spheres a little differently. "Thank you for the information ... Your gods intimidate me, to be honest. Although I suppose that is natural, gods being what they are."

She twisted a lock of hair around one finger, thinking hard. "Safrin feels the most ... familiar, though I do wonder if she'd take kindly to being compared to one of my own deities. We have a god not wholly unlike Ludo, too -- a guide for the dead, whose pranks sometimes get out of hand."

For a moment Arialla considered, and then she smiled slightly. "I suppose it would be best to stop comparing your gods to mine and simply appreciate them on their own merits. Could you tell me about Frey in a little more detail? Pleasure and procreation, you said ... "
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Intimidation is a normal, healthy response to them," Jigano agreed with a wry grin, stooping to pick up a shell and turn it over in his hands, examining it as they spoke. "On my world the gods didn't tend to respond in quite so, hmmm, personal a manner usually. The frequency with which prayers are answered on a personal level here is... it takes getting used to. And there is definitely a risk of becoming too familiar with the gods, perhaps even taking them dangerously for granted." His smile was faded, his tone cautionary. He hoped that the young woman, being a priestess, would know the dangers of which he spoke.

Safrin's mood was something Jigano would not speculate on, given that he suspected that she would do the opposite of anything he said, just to spite him. He stayed quiet while Arialla thought, nodding wry agreement at her decision to try and take Caido's pantheon as it came, separate and unique from what either of them had known before. The next question, though, brought a look of rueful regret to his face as he held the shell up for Isuma to examine as well.

"Frey is the one among the heralds I've not personally interacted with, only seen from a distance," he admitted. "But from those who have gone to them, I've heard that they enjoy offerings of fruit, cream, or, ah, carnally-themed objects. They encourage physical pleasure and self-care, and dislike boring prayers. They might help you if you entertain or surprise them, but they might curse you if you disappoint them," he warned, trying to present both the good and the bad of the sensual god. "And they seem to appear differently to every person. They take the form of whatever you find most pleasing in a partner... even if you didn't realize that was what you were drawn to before," he added ruefully.
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:
Arialla nodded. "At home, it's unusual for a god to answer an individual's prayer directly -- it marks that individual out as a favorite. It ... That's what Apollo did for me, and that's how I became a priestess. Otherwise, I would have ended up fishing like my father."

She got Jigano's point about familiarity with the gods, too. Apollo might have shown generosity to her, but she was not so foolish as to think of him as anything approaching a friend or companion. He was a god and she his servant and worshipper. That defined their relationship. And were she ever to presume upon that relationship, she could expect to be smote forthwith.

"Oh." Arialla blushed at the description of Frey. "I might not try to get their attention, then. I suspect I would bore them -- there's nothing particularly entertaining or surprising about my prayer."

So Safrin or Ludo it was ... Quietly, Arialla added, "I'll probably pray to Safrin, then."

She tapped her fingers on her leg, wondering what would make an appropriate gift to a star-goddess. "Do you know what offering she prefers? Samuel told me your gods do not take sacrifices."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"It's somewhat similar here," the bard agreed. "Not everyone is answered directly, but it is far more common than I expected. And over time, the gods do seem to chose... favorites," he finished delicately. "Those they answer more often and show more preference for than others." Giving gifts, abilities, items... a god's favor was a potent thing.

His description of Frey elicited a blush that he empathized with as he gave a rueful smile and glanced away in case Arialla wanted a moment to compose herself. "I feel much the same," he admitted with a chuckle. "Hence why I haven't sought them out before."

Her choice, when it came, was hardly surprising, but he sighed all the same as he nodded and turned back to her, his smile a little sad and bitter. "Most do. She and I are not... on good terms. If you chose to go to her, best to leave my name out of it, just in case." Isuma took the shell in her beak to nibble on and he scratched her ruff thoughtfully. "But she does tend to answer more often than the others, and if you offer her praise and flattery you should be fine. I mentioned that she can be vain, so things that appeal to her beauty and crafted in her honor are usually welcome. Poetry, art, jewelry... almost anything crafted or bought for her. Star themes are common, though not required. Just beware that lanterns usually fall within Ludo's domain," he cautioned. "As guides for lost souls."