I got sunshine on a cloudy day
for Amun
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

If only she needed to eat; walking amongst what looks like the ‘safe’ part of the city, Wessex strolls idly - stopping to examine wares at various stalls and take in the food carts, the smells, the noises, and the people. Here in the crowded street, she has her hood down, the shadows from the passing buildings enough to more or less keep the direct sun off her if she’s careful and doesn’t linger too long in the middle of the walkways. There seems to be multiple forms of smoked and grilled fish and other seafood - things she’s never seen or dreamed of, having been not only bubble-trapped but landlocked her entire life.

Stopping at a stall that has (to her untrained eye) abalone and sea urchin and scallops, she can’t help but ask the vendor with all the naivety of a non-native (as if the cloak didn’t already do that), “What are those?”

WESSEX
She whispered back, I am the storm
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my whole life is mine, but whoever says so will deprive me,
for it is infinite.
As Amun strode through the streets of Haulani, he spotted a familiar cloaked figure. He himself was dressed only in a pair of shorts with a cutlass at his waist, looking very much like a native. Granted, it exposed him to the sun, but that was a small price to pay in his mind for going relatively unnoticed.

Sidling up to Wessex, he shot her a grin. ”Those are low quality, I’m afraid.” Leaning against one of the stalls poles, he smirked at the vendor. ”I hope you weren’t planning to try and pass these off to my friend, here. Show us the good stuff.” The potter winked lazily.

So. How are you liking Torchline so far, Princess? Is it everything our goddess promised and more? It was clear from his thoughts that he believed it was.
by being moved I exert my empire,
making the dreams of night real
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

“You look like…” Except she doesn’t really know what a pirate is, so she fumbles for a word, and ends up with “like you did when we met.” It isn’t a criticism, just an observation that he has more or less reverted from Grounder ways and perhaps returned to something resembling the life he knew. Recalling his fascination with boats and quest from the Voice, Wessex can imagine that Amun does indeed feel more at home here, in Torchline.  

She watches the interaction with amusement, because she knows she has no intention of eating anything and Amun knows that, but the vendor doesn’t. She just raises an eyebrow and nods slowly, taking out a knife to ‘innocently’ play with while the aproned man mutters under his breath and turns, reaching for a basket. It’s fucking bright, she quips back, though not in an unhappy way.  But I like the feeling of it and the people. Seems like it’s got a dark side, somewhere. Someplace fun and more my original style. Chuckling a little darkly, her eyes follow the vendor as he reveals what he was going for.

It’s a basket filled with ice and the same shells, unlike the other basket, which makes Wessex think it might already be better quality, because ice preserves (and she’s never experienced seafood-based food poisoning, thank Goddess). Deferring to Amun, she looks between him and the vendor, curious as to what he’ll say to this development.

WESSEX
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
for it is infinite.
Amun grinned at Wessex's comment (which of course he interpreted as a compliment). "You mean, fantastic?" Cocking his head to the side, his grin broadened. "Then again, when do I not look fantastic?"

As she took out a knife, he chuckled, sounding like his old self as well. "You're looking pretty good yourself, Princess." His eyes drifted over her: despite the cloak, which was entirely inappropriate for the region, her newfound freedom and power suited her.

When the vendor brought out what was admittedly some damn fine looking fare, the potter made a big show of looking it over. As he did, he responded to the Wraith telepathically, his thoughts gleeful. It certainly does. We could always go look for it. His thoughts were wry, remembering their adventures in Whitebrim.

We do seem to have a knack for these sorts of things. And The Voice did tell us to explore. Perhaps she'll reward us further if we do. He shot her a very quick amused glance, since he knew the vendor obviously wouldn't understand.

Then Amun straightened up and sniffed loudly and dramatically. "I hope you're not expecting us to actually eat this. I would hardly take it if you offered it for free." His voice was almost haughty, but his eyes gleamed as he settled in to haggle.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

Did she mean fantastic? Probably not, but that was the nature of their relationship. Wessex snorts. “I probably meant ragged, but sure, let’s go with fantastic,” the demi-god teases right back, accepting his compliment without a word. Compliments are hard, especially when they’re looks-based. It’s never been something she’s been confident about. But Amun isn’t wrong - the ability to wander and be nomadic does suit her and her independence nicely.  

Wessex follows Amun’s lead on looking interested in the wares, feigning interest in favor of a silent conversation. She did say that, didn’t She? Also told us that it might take a little more work to spread her influence here. We should probably begin to make ourselves useful. Drifting off, the implication is there. Make themselves useful to... whomever that might be.

Same with Halo - personally, the Wraith is more partial to working in Halo, but that’s a whole other story.

Coming back to the person in front of them, who is starting to become righteously idignant about the insult to his wares, she makes a face much like Amun’s sniff and shakes her head. “I wouldn’t buy anything from someone who tried to sell me shit in the first place. This is probably terrible too.” With a nudge of her elbow, she tosses her head up in the perfect imitation of a haughty Zariah and pivots on her heels.

Alas, there would be no haggling today. Instead, the man (it seems like Torchers have a temper) reaches into the first display and hurls a large clam shell at Wessex’s back. It hits her with a thud, as he hisses, “Fucking foreign bitches.”

WESSEX
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Amun just chuckled as Wessex responded to him boasting. "I can make even ragged look good." Slinging an arm over her shoulder, he grinned at her, not at all put off by her insult.

I'm always useful, you know that. Even if you don't like the way I do things. Smirking a little, he leaned forward as if to give one of the scallops an extra close inspection. I trust her. She hasn't led me wrong yet, and she forgave me for failing her. The admiration in his mind was clear.

As the vendor grew uppity and actually threw a clam at the Wraith's back, the potter's eyes narrowed. Spinning neatly on his heel, he unsheathed his cutlass in a smooth motion and rested the point on stall owner's throat. "Now now. Mind your tongue, or I'll have to cut it out." Amun jerked his head at Wessex. "Apologize to my friend here." Voice low and threatening, he went completely still, arm not wavering at all under the weight of his blade.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

So am I, Wessex retorts, knowing full well that she can rub literally everyone the wrong way. But Wessex is usually, almost always useful to the situations she gets herself in to. Things get done, even if they’re done slowly, like with the Eirachi shrine.

Though I have to admit that I haven’t been to most of Torchline. Might head to the Governor’s mansion next, see what he’s all about. Glancing to the volcano in the distance, the Wraith shrugs, only half-curious about the leader of Torchilne. At least, she thinks she’ll find him, not knowing that the man can rarely be found doing actual work there. That part will blow her mind.

They both know that between the two of them, the vendor could be dead in an instant, but that’s not the way this outing is supposed to go – that goes against what the Voice is trying to achieve, even if half of Torchline might also kill the man for throwing a clam at them. Wessex whirls and hisses, fangs bared and talons unsheathed. There’s a visible movement in the crowd as people begin to notice and surge away from the three, whispers and mutterings traveling quickly. Magic may abound, but the Ascended are rare, never seen before the portals opened.

Faced with both talons and a sword, the clam man pales and throws his hands up in either defense or acquiescence, his eyes darting from Amun to Wessex and back again. “Okay. Okay. I’m sorry.”

Eyes flashing, Wessex's lips curl, but her talons slowly retract back into her knuckles.

Killing him would be counter-productive, but fuck if I don't want to. Gesturing for Amun to follow if he likes, she heads on down the market path, the people parting to give her a wide berth.

{Fin}

WESSEX