whether tempest tossed thee here ashore
Amaaaaa
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
the wraith
Standing at the base of the spire, a fair distance back so she can see the top of it, Wessex stands uncloaked as the sun sinks beyond the trees. Preternaturally still up until a light breeze ruffles the tips of her hair, she tucks it all back in place and then adjusts her position to one that screams ‘I’m thinking’ instead of ‘I’m just creepily standing here at the base of my Goddess’s prison.’ If it weren’t for the fact that a couple of years ago (Gods, has it been that long) they couldn’t get anywhere near this close to the Spire, she might have appeared as some of them knew her before she Ascended. Out and about like someone untroubled by the sun.

Pensive. Solitary. Borderline unapproachable, save for a select few.

Ah, how some things do not change. Here, at least, she is reminded of her Lady and her constant presence in the Wraith’s life. And also here, at the site of so many cataclysmic events, does she still feel quite alone. Everyone seems to have someone... except for Wessex. Even her fucking nickname bears witness to her solitude.

-----------------

Turning in Astor's bday companion pass.
she's pullin' the trigger
cause it's me and the moon, she says
and i have no trouble with that
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Amalia is not particularly silent, and she does not particularly care. She is not sleeping, either; she hasn't been for days, not at home at least. Tired and wan, she wanders like a ghost, flitting between moments of stress and anxiety into the doldrums of long, unbearable calm.

She thought she would want to hide forever, after what happened in the caves. But all she wants - all she really wants - is to drown out all the noise.

So she wanders and paces, and when she sees Wessex she walks (walks!) out toward the fallen queen. Is she itching for a fight? For reassurance from a maternal figure? Or maybe just a distraction from her own thoughts? Whatever the reason, Amalia draws near, coming to stand beside the Ascended without saying a word.
she's just like the weather
can't hold her together

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
random event
A whine so quiet that only specific hearing will hear it comes from somewhere within the shadows of the Spire’s rubble. Inside where walls have been somewhat destroyed in the center, fanning out around the entrance. There’s something there, something struggling, something young.

Trapped beneath a variety of fallen rocks, a young dragon has gotten too close brazen in its explorations, hatching without anything to show it the way to go, it becomes stuck as it tries to escape. It’s tired, weak, and all it can do anymore is softly cry out in the hopes that someone might hear it, might get it unstuck, lest it remain to perish as a memory.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
Surely she’s sick of the amazement, awe in their voices when the normal people see Amalia up and walking around again. Wessex is. Even though she knew Deimos had a plan with Safrin, it is still surprising, knowing what those legs looked like at the beginning of the Season. Her head turns and she sees Amalia well before she arrives, holding out a hand to be taken or not. Oh, she’d heard of Adam and Peter too. That was sad, she’d actually liked those men. Adam was a harmless (but apparently not) and mostly useless goof. Peter had been sweet, too bad he’d never had a chance to leave the Launceleyns.

“I’m glad Deimos’ leaves worked,” she says quietly, leaving room for the girl to talk… or not. Sometimes talking is so very overrated. So she continues her thoughtful examination of the Spire until the faintest something keeps intruding into her head. At first she thinks she’s just hearing things, or it’s an animal in the Outskirt, or even Ama half-shifting and doing something.

“Do you - do you hear something?” Wessex keeps turning her head and begins to step in a tight circle, trying to find which direction it’s coming from.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
She doesn't expect the extended hand; she doesn't take it, either. Something in her twists, desperate to cling to this anchor to the world, the stalwart consistency that is Wessex. But Wessex isn't her anchor anymore, and Amalia doesn't want to drag her down.

She doesn't want to drag anyone else down with her. If she's going to sink down into darkness, she's going to do it alone.

Had the Wraith helped with gathering the leaves? A pang of guilt stabs at Amalia; she wraps her right hand around her left arm, rubbing the skin beneath her thumb. "Yes," the Shield answers softly, glancing down at her legs as though still not really sure they're there. She's grateful that Wessex doesn't push further, the silence falling between them heavily and loudly.

It allows her to hear the sound as soon as Wessex does, her senses always finely Attuned, even in human form. "Yes," she says again, but her voice has more life to it now, curious despite her own detachment. Shifting her ears to the long lilac of the qilin, she turns them on her head while calling out aloud and with her mind: "Hello? Is someone there?"
can't hold her together

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
random event
The answer is yes. Someone is there. Someone small, trapped, hidden beneath the rubble of fallen obsidian. Wessex will be able to pinpoint that the sound is coming from close inside the Spire, just within the entrance. But it’s Amalia’s words that reach the poor dragon, causing the creature to strain and cry out louder.

Help! It tells Amalia, exhaustion lacing it’s every limb, every movement, breaths coming quicker as it tries to push itself free from the debris that traps it, but it is unable. A soft whine leaving it from anguish and pain.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
Look, doing the not-talking thing is fine with Wessex. It’s almost preferable, given that whenever they do seem to talk, it ends poorly. So maybe like real relatives, they can make an uneasy truce and just shove it all down while they’re together.

She’s about to start thinking she’s crazy when Amalia confirms her hearing, causing the Wraith to step forward, following what she thinks is the sound until it leads her to the front of the Spire. She frowns a little, wondering how something or someone had gotten itself stuck (assuming stuck, or injured, or something) in something unnatural. “I think it’s coming from inside the Spire,” she offers quietly, sticking her head inside the entrance to try and better pinpoint it’s (whatever it is) location.

It’s weird being back, but oddly enough, reminds her that there is still potential here that she should explore. Especially when she looks up, through the hole in the middle.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Inside the Spire is hardly somewhere Amalia expected she'd be going again, let alone with Wessex at her side, but here the girl is. The sound is coming from within - "It's asking for help," she agrees with a nod, her dark eyes trained on that ominous rectangle of a door - and she follows behind Wessex as the other woman enters, the hollow and crumbling edifice home for so, so many memories.

Swallowing down her trepidation, Amalia continues to search with her senses and mind for the life trapped within. She can't help but remember the tulmhainar, the last time she thought to save something from this prison, the weight of that failure drumming down like so many others upon her. She wants to tell Wessex about it - would have, once, without any question.

A long time ago. A different woman ago.

"You didn't come to visit me," is what she says instead, not looking at the Wraith, not wanting to see her expression. This woman is the closest thing she still has to a mother, and the furthest thing she has from a friend. "I wanted to thank you. For saving me. Twice."
can't hold her together

Change author:
random event
As Wessex pokes her head inside the Spire, she’ll see a piece of wall that had fallen begin to shift with an invigorated struggle. Here! Here! It says in its panic. It struggles more and more until a piece of the debris pierces one of its legs and it cuts a small line through the scales of the dragon. This stills the creature as it assesses, but it shouldn’t take long for Wessex and Amalia to find the poor creature.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
She almost misses the visual clue, having turned back at Amalia’s question. Where the Shield tiptoes, the Wraith is a bulldozer, casting her gaze on the girl who can’t seem to look at her (or anyone these days, really). It softens, steeped in weeks of wanting to do something but uninterested in the potential consequences. “I wanted to,” she confesses, growing a little sad. “But I didn’t want to fight, and I was afraid my fury at Jigano would come out. That it would then devolve into some holier-than-thou thing and quite frankly, I’ve had enough of that.” She shrugs, pulls back a little. “Better to stay away. Keep the peace while I can.”

The peace is worth it.

The sound of movement draws her back to the Spire interior, and she flits between the thing that is clearly stuck under a wall and the girl she more or less raised. With a gesture that hopefully implies go on, I’m listening, in case Amalia wants to continue the conversation, she heads towards the stone and begins to lift, in case the thing underneath is small enough to be able to get out with a smaller opening.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
"Fury at Jigano?" She raises an eyebrow, something like curiosity - the flicker of a feeling - rising up in her face. Individuals being angry at the bard hardly feels like a new occurrence these days, and she remembers acutely the dueling descriptions of what happened in the Spire's base. Or perhaps this is her fault again, a misunderstanding of the mistakes Amalia made that day in the temple. "It wasn't his fault..."

But she trails off. The peace is worth it, tenuous as it may be.

"Anyway. Thank you." It's all she has to say before the distraction of the voice draws her back to their surroundings, the task at hand. Narrowing her eyes, she follows Wessex toward the source of the sound, her qilin ears picking up the scraping of claws beneath stone. Shifting her body into otter form, she slips beneath it before shifting again. The qilin is strong and muscular, and the stone rises up upon her back, giving Wessex space to reach below and grab the little form.
can't hold her together
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
She can’t help herself; rising unbidden to the occasion like bile in one’s stomach, acidic and hateful and yet simultaneously trying to temper it for the sake of an agreed upon peace. “Not his fault, no –“ if one needed a scapegoat, Ronin might best suit the role, “but it was probably preventable.” Her tone grows tight and bitter, scorn leaking from her pores as she says just enough to toe the line between piquing interest and letting the topic die. “For someone who claims to love you so much, he seems to have a habit of leaving your well-being to others so he can get the chance to play the hero.”  Some might say the same of Wessex, but at least she’d put her hero complex aside when what truly mattered to her was in danger.

The Wraith shakes her head, tight-lipped as she lifts the rock from the outside and Amalia lifts from the inside. A way out appears, a flat black snout poking out cautiously. Wessex’s brow furrows, unsure of what she’s looking at – what kind of creature? But then it begins to scramble out, perhaps sensing that it’s safe, and the nose is followed by golden serpentine eyes with a ridge of spines between them. The spines – or ears? – continue up over its head, scales as black as a starless night cover its body, and it has curious feet – clawed, but with a wide base. And spines… everywhere. On the back of its legs, down its neck – then wings! Leathery things the size of its body. Clearly, that had been what was keeping it stuck beneath the debris.

She doesn’t yet reach for the dragon (because why would she?), but there eyes connect for a moment and in that moment, a whole world opens in Wessex’s mind, almost causing her to drop the slab before Amalia can get out. But when she does, she will find this woman of steel and ice, this solitary, fierce, and achingly lonely warrior, staring in awe at the little dracling, who begins to advance with a query that Wessex can’t yet hear.

Mine?
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
"He thinks he has to be responsible for the world." Amalia can have no way of knowing that this accusation will soon be levelled at her, from an unexpected source. She says no more: she has her own grievances with Jigano of late, but airing them here feels counterproductive.

Besides, there are new lives to celebrate, new bonds to make. It takes everything Amalia has to keep from shying away from the little dragon, a pang of fear and anger and remorse stabbing sharply through her. It looks so much like coffee that the girl at first wonders if it isn't a ghost... But no, this dragonling feels different in her mind.

And its mind is focused on Wessex.

Making sure to keep a careful distance from the bonding pair, Amalia slides out from under the stone, shifting slowly to keep the rock from falling too hard. Only when she emerges does she fully reclaim her human form, watching in awe at what's happening before her. "She wants you," Amalia murmurs softly; it is unclear which of the pair she is talking to. Her voice is tight with unspent emotion, her dark eyes glitter with unshed tears. "You're hers, now."
can't hold her together
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
She wants you.

Even in the wake of Edy and Hotaru, the words sound alien to Wessex, the concept of being wanted for something other than power or sex disappeared when her sister died. There was friendship, yes, and a bond the Naturals shared with their inherently difficult life, but being wanted might be going too far.

Your hers, now.

She lowers the slab and whilst crouching down to welcome the dragonling, she still looks to Amalia for confirmation. Because it might not be true. It could be a mistake. They’ve happened before, surely. Wessex is a troublemaker, a killer - they both know that - what kind of caretaker could she possibly be for a baby dragon? Who, other than The Voice, could love her unconditionally? “You mean…?” the Wraith asks, her voice thick with emotion and disbelief, the worries about being utterly alone for the rest of her life loathe to leave the body they’ve made home.

But she knows it, she knows that what the Shield says is true. So the warrior turns back, arms out to embrace the creature as shiny, iridescent liquid pools at the corners of her eyes. “How do you know?” Is Ama the companion whisperer? Or is it just that fucking obvious?