Training Beat me black and Blue
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
MAEA
Neither the tone nor the firm insistence in his grip was something the girl was accustomed to, and rather surprised she found herself obeying. Her body hurt like nothing she'd ever experienced before and she made no further attempts to rise. Closing her eyes, she just focused on breathing, on letting the magic course through her while Loren repaired the damages. A fighter and a healer... it was almost unfair, how strong he was.

"Diff-difficult t-to say," she replied with some effort to his question, her breathing not quite steady yet. Maea peeled an eye open and gazed up at him; felt the churning of distress in her body, that same desperate need to create distance between them within her mind. She studied the reactions quietly, rather fascinated by her own reactions. She wasn't actually afraid of Loren, knew he'd only done this because she'd asked him to and yet... and yet.

He hadn't even hesitated before hurting her. Had actually seemed to rather enjoy it.

"What... did I do wrong?"
Light is easy to love
Show me your darkness
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Continuing to pour the magic into Maea, Loren swept his eyes over her, trying to direct the flow of healing to where it was needed most. At her words, he nodded, but said nothing further. Instead, he just sighed, the fleeting rush from the combat already fading. At least the buzz from the alcohol was starting to replace it.

At her question, though, he shook his head slowly. "Nothing." The word was surprisingly bitter. "I'm stronger, better trained, have an incredibly high tolerance for pain, and I'm not afraid to die." His voice came out shockingly honest, the sort of truth that only came at the bottom of a bottle or the end of one's rope. "So I guess your only mistake was picking a fight you couldn't win."
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
She bit her jaws together, chewing on this list of truths. It rankled to hear him say she'd been outmatched from the start, even when she knew it was true. Just as it aggravated her to realize just how naive her promise had been, that first day. After the labyrinth. It seemed such an ignorant statement now.

"Could you.. train me? Like you were trained?" she asked, gaze steady as she looked up at him. For all that she was afraid of more pain like this, she couldn't forget the thrill of the fight whilst they'd been in the midst of it, the heat in her blood as she dodged and rolled, countered and retaliated. It had been fun. And terrifying. Maea wanted... more.

"I want... to be stronger. To.. not, break. So easily." Strong enough that he couldn't hurt her, even by accident.

She still meant that, even if the path to that goal had proven to be quite a lot more difficult than she'd ever imagined.
Light is easy to love
Show me your darkness
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
As Maea asked to be trained as Loren had been trained, Loren’s eyes darkened. He gave her one last burst of healing magic. Only then did he attended his own wounds, the cuts from the rain of ice and the punctures from her icy spears crawling shut underneath a wave of sky blue light.

Then he stood. "No." The word was swift, curt, and harsh. "I will train you, but not how I was trained." Taking a step back, he crossed his arms and shook his head. "Because it broke me. And I swore never to inflict that on another person." Suddenly disgusted with himself, he pulled out a flask and drained it in one gulp.

Putting it back into his pocket, he stared at her with haunted eyes. "Besides, Zariah will train you that way. There are other ways though. Better ways." His voice came out bitterly.
Families are like that—
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
He withdrew his hands, stood to take care of his own injuries, and Maea lay still in the snow for a time. Let the last dregs of magic do its work. There were no outward signs that anything had happened to her; no scars, no bruises, nothing of the sort save the lingering blood and torn clothing... but as she slowly sat up, she found that her body still ached. Every limb felt raw and heavy, like she'd worked too hard in the fields for too long, and wouldn't be herself again for some time.

She met Loren's gaze, saw he meant it when he refused her request. "Alright. Then do it your way? Teach me what Zariah can't, what she won't.

"I meant it, I want to learn from you. You're one of the most powerful people I know. You beat Sunjata."
In her eyes, that clearly meant something.
Light is easy to love
Show me your darkness
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Letting out a bitter and humorless laugh, Loren shook his head at Maea's request. "I can't do that either." Spreading his hands helplessly, he shook his head. "I don't have a way. I don't have the patience, or the knowledge, or the wherewithal to give you what you want. And I gave up on my dreams of teaching, along with all the rest of them." Tears sprang to his eyes, and he furiously blinked them away.

Turning, he headed towards the roof's edge. When he reached it, he stared at the ground below. Remaining there, he stayed quiet for a while, simply swaying slightly in the breeze.

When he did speak, it was in a broken whisper. "I'm not powerful. I just have magic. Yes, you're right, I beat Sunjata but that doesn't make me strong." Finishing the flask, he let it drop to the ground, suddenly too listless to even put it in his pocket.
Families are like that—
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
A frown appeared on her as he walked off towards the roof's edge. With his back turned, Loren wouldn't see the worry in her eyes as she followed his path. The tears were not missed, nor his apprent frustration, and something very cold crept up in her when she saw him standing there, swaying. Bottle in hand, until he dropped it.

Too close to the edge for comfort.

"Then... what does it mean for you? To be strong. If it's not the magic, and not winning battles...  because you've done that. You beat me twice in a matter of minutes." More than beat - no holds barred beatdown, was more like it. Curbstomping galore. She wanted to get to her feet and walk over to him, but Maea's legs were not quite steady enough to rise yet. So she pulled her knees up to the chest and watched Loren's back intently, wary of any stupid moves on his part.

If he decided to walk off that ledge, she would not be able to catch him.
Light is easy to love
Show me your darkness
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Standing right where he was, still gazing downwards at the ground far below, Loren shivered as a cold breeze sprang up. Still without his cloak, he hugged his arms tightly. When Maea spoke up, he didn't turn to look at her. "To be able to handle loss. To move on, and do the next right thing, despite the pain, and the heartbreak, and the self-loathing." Again, he swayed, precariously.

"But I don't know what the next right thing is anymore." Finally, he looked back at her, eyes tired and sad. "Even worse? I'm not sure I even want to figure it out." He turned back to face front.
Families are like that—
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Watching him shiver, she pushed herself gingerly off the ground. While every inch of her ached like a hollow tooth, she was able to stand. Walk, even. Still barefoot, and realizing that the cold wasn't really bothering her anymore, Maea went for the place where she'd stashed away her shawl and brought it over to Loren. Her hands were quite gentle as she reached up to drape the thin, pitch-dark fabric around his neck. Under Ludo's Rags, the cold would fade from him, leaving neither numb fingers nor frostbite, and he would be comfortable. Maybe even a little warm.

"I don't know that there's anything I can say that will convince you of this," she told him as she adjusted the folds about his shoulders, "but you are handling your loss. And moving forward. You've accepted the position as Grand Healer. You're training me, like you promised... and you've healed me several times."

Maea settled in beside him by the edge of the roof, blood-streaked hair whipping in the errant winds. "Thanks to you, I've been spared being bedridden and useless. From where I'm standing, it's plenty right. And if that's the only thing you ever do from now on, then... well. I've not found a cure for my ailment, so you'd be set pretty much for life." Of course, he'd be tied to her just as she would be to him... at each other's mercy.

Turning to look at him, she raised a curious brow. Would that be very terrible?
Light is easy to love
Show me your darkness
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
When Maea placed the rags around his shoulders like a shawl (though shroud might be more appropriate) he reached up to pull it off. The bite from the wind returned almost immediately as he held it out for her. He didn't look at her though.

Letting her speak, he said nothing in response for a long while. "Not yet. You haven't found a cure yet." The words were quiet, more to himself than to her. "But no, I'm not. I'm not dealing with my loss. And I'm not sure that being Grand Healer is a good thing."

If she'd taken the rags back from him, he'd hug himself once more. Shifting, he'd move to sit on the edge of the roof. "I just keep repeating the same cycles over and over and over again." His nails dug into his skin hard enough to draw blood.
Families are like that—
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
She tsked at his childish refusal to accept the warmth offered by the shawl, but did not insist. Maea took it back and folded it carefully, pressing the dark cloth to her chest as he tore apart her arguments. Shrugging them off like he'd done the kindness.

"Alright. So you're not dealing. You drink, you fight, and you sleep around, and you don't listen when people try to comfort you." She said it calmly, without accusations; they'd already agreed that she shouldn't judge. These were merely facts.

"I suppose, the first thing to figure out is whether you want to try at all." The girl looked down at him as he shifted to sit, and eased herself down beside him. Keeping some distance between them, as he clearly wasn't keen on sympathy today. "Because unless you've decided that for yourself, there is nothing anyone can do to help you. It has to start with you, so...

"Tell me, what keeps you alive today, Loren? "
It was as good a baseline to start at as any.
Light is easy to love
Show me your darkness
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Sighing, Loren let his head hang. Kicking his feet in the air, he shrugged. "Sounds about right." He glanced at Maea, lips twisted into a mockery of a smile. "Because I just...can't...I don't believe it. Alright? The comfort or the, that I..." Making a disgusted sound, he buried his face in his hands.

Taking a deep breath, he forced himself to raise his head. "I just...not much." He shrugged. "Astra. Because even though I still think she'd be better off without me, she feels differently, more's the pity. Work I guess. Beyond that?" Glancing over at her, he bit his lip. "Just the next thrill. Whatever form that takes." But they tasted more and more hollow as time went on.

"And I just...know I couldn't go through with it." He didn't say why he knew that, but he knew.
Families are like that—
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
It was a dark place to be, indeed. Maea couldn't say she'd ever been there, but she had seen others. When you grew up like birds in a cage, there were always some who never learned to cope with the reality of not being free to fly.

"Astra, work, and... let's just humor me here, and say that you can't go through with taking your life because you don't actually want to die." Maea ticked the reasons off on her fingers, like it was a shopping list. If her heart broke to realize how tenuous the tethers were that kept him beside her, it didn't show. Clearly he would not believe it even if she did cry for him.

"I say that is plenty to work with." Turning her head from him, the girl looked out over the wasteland beyond the Citadel, like she had before he arrived. The sun was rising now, a pale orb half hidden behind drifting clouds. A storm was brewing in the north; not unusual.

"Second question. What is the most reckless, pointlessly dangerous thing you could think to do right now? Besides jumping off this roof - that one is obvious." There was a tone of dry humor lacing through her words, even though the subject wasn't funny at all.
Light is easy to love
Show me your darkness
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
Trigger Warning 
LOREN
Loren shrugged, though he nodded carefully at Maea's analysis of the situation. "Turns out, survival instincts are a bitch when you have a companion and you're part animal." Strangely, his tone was neutral, as if he couldn't quite make up his mind how he felt about that fact. For a moment, fur rippled along his arms before skin reappeared there.

"Guess that has to be true." Since he was here, and all, though as the alcohol burned through him, the less he found himself caring about much of anything. However, he turned to give her a wry look. "It's not really that reckless when you can fly." Feathers appeared in the spots the fur just had, disappearing just as quickly.

Then he faced the edge again. Lifting both hands, blades of ice grew in them. "Are you sure you want me to answer that?"
Families are like that—