[open] Bring hither your sun and your summer
open
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
MAEA
It would seem she had startled the curiosity about The Voice out of the man. His exclamation took Maea by surprise, and she stood, still maintaining the grip on her water.

"Magic... yes." Watching him curiously, she began to play with the water, raised it up to hover between them, split and shaped it into handfuls of dancing butterflies. They shimmered and refracted the dappled sunlight, casting suncats all around.

"I take it that it isn't common on your world," she said, head tilting. It seemed a fair assumption given his reaction. "I'm not sure you can learn... Either you have it, or don't. There is a school that teaches the use, but..  it does require natural ability." Maea pursed her lips, regarded Joshua thoughtfully. "Has anything out of the ordinary occurred around you since you arrived to Caido?"
I'm an angel bored like hell
And you're a devil meaning well
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Age: 42 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Lancy Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
they look at you like you're a freak
It's a struggle just to stay alive
Maea's show of water butterflies was a spectacle indeed, Josh immediately entranced by it - less because it was beautiful and more trying to see how it worked, if it was some kind of trick; it seemed too organic to be one, no string on the little water creatures (he lifted a hand out to check).

"No. People saying they can do magic is common. Actual magic is not." He'd believed it was impossible, but after seeing this, he'd begun to wonder. That it was an innate ability initially made him frown, disappointed he couldn't try to wield the power for himself...but then Maea asked him a question that implied he might still be in with a shot.

A flash of a smile crossed his face as he thought of replying with 'literally everything thats happened has been out of the ordinary', but wanting to see if he possessed magical powers overrode that. "...Just one thing. I lost my pen momentarily and thought I'd like a pencil. When I did, one appeared in my hand. Ugly. But functional." It had then disappeared again - he'd not thought much of it in the scope of everything else, but now he was beginning to wonder...was he a pencil mage?!
Journals burning in a burning fire
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
She listened to his explanation, and nodded thoughtfully. Actually smiled; with a small, unnecessary gesture, she made the butterflies freeze to ice mid air, and with telekinesis she caught one and offered it to Joshua, as he seemed interested in them. It would melt in his hand if he took it, impossibly thin and easily perished in the heat of the day.

"That sounds like Creation to me. A basic form of it, classified under light magic. I would ask you to try making that pen again... but the magical laws of Caido don't always remain the same, and I don't want to leave you disappointed, when there is a possibility it might not work the same as before.

"I can't show you, alas... Creation is not a talent I possess."

Maea raised a few stones from the bottom of the waterfall for him with telekinesis instead, made a few more tricks with the water to demonstrate the differences; "There are a few basic principles of how it works, but if you have the right building blocks, magic can give you endless possibilities," she explained, repeating what she had been taught so far at the Academy.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Age: 42 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Josh did take the butterfly in his hands, watching silently as it melted away into nothing over his skin, shaking his hand to dry it a little before going to scribble something in his notebook; this magic did not seem particularly useful in this form, but if Maea could control larger bodies of water it could easily be a powerful weapon. "How much water can you move at once? Does it work with other liquids?" Acid, for example, would be particularly catastrophic.

"Don't always remain the same?" He asked, bringing up a hand before him to see if he could try and replicate the effect. Closing his eyes, he wished he had a pencil - and sure enough when he opened them a small, wobbly and rough pencil had appeared in his hand. Charcoal, not very sharp...but either way, matter that had not existed before. "I will need to look into this." He said, appearing outwardly only academically interested, but internally thrilled to have his own ability to study.

"What are the 'building blocks'? Where is this academy?" Josh asked; he had no intentions of joining, not keen on institutions on any kind, but he was they might hold information he could attempt to gather.
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
A lot of questions... but Maea didn't mind. She tried to answer them all, as best she could. She was in no hurry to be off, and if this helped him somehow...

"About as much as will fit in a thirty foot radius around me... and that's about the limit to my range. And no, not really... it has to be water, or largely water based. I can also alter temperature of the water, as you saw. Freeze it, or make it boil."

She watched him closely as he focused, and managed to create a writing utensil. Maea nodded, confirming her suspicion. "Seems you are Abandoned, just like me. It means you can learn to wield magic..  and that the gods will shun you for it."

Dragging a hand through her hair, she shrugged at the next questions. "Different schools of magic. There is dark, light and grey magic, and different abilities fall under their category. Healing, summoning, water and creation is light. Earth, Telekinesis, Air and Illusion are grey. Fire, lightning, life drain and disintegration is dark. When you master each element, you can combine them and achieve things that would be impossible othereise. And then there is personal abilities that spring from the core of your being, that no one else can replicate."

Common knowledge for most mages that bothered to learn anything about their magic. Maea had only recently learned of these things though, having shunned her powers until now.

"The Arcane Academy is in Halo, another region of Caido. You can reach it through one of the portals."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
"Thirty feet? That's...a large radius." Josh raised his eyebrows as he wrote it down, not exactly disbelieving Maea, but still writing 'needs confirmation' underneath it in his notes. If it were true, she had power that many fiction writers on Earth only dreamed of and he was amazed the world was still standing as well as it were, if this was a common amount of ability.

When it was confirmed he was indeed a wielder of magic, Josh broke into a rare smile, excited to be able to research his own abilities. Learning he was shunned by the Gods took this away, though not out of sadness - more curiosity of why that would be. "Did the Gods not imbue the powers? Where do they come from?" He was more interested at this point in what Maea would say rather than the actual truth, which he was certain was not a matter of divine gifting.

He scribbled down as much of the information she gave him as he could, but there was so much he knew he'd need to look into it further later - possibly by visiting this academy. "Is there a mage in charge of this Academy?"
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
It was quite big, yes, which was both a good and bad thing. A blessing, when you needed to do big things... not so much if the damage you could cause by accident was that extensive.

"The Old Gods consider magic to be a curse. Perhaps it is too... the one called The Voice was a mortal, once. An Abandoned, just like us. It is because of her rebellion that they shun us now. Or so the legend goes, at least." Maea sounded rather bitter as she related this piece of information; it was deeply personal after all, and not something she ever thought about with light heart. "They can't remove it though, and as far as I know, there's no explanation for where it comes from. It is not passed down by bloodlines, nor is it possible to predict when and what kind of magic someone will come into. It's still largely a mystery, even to us."

He took notes so fast that Maea feared his notebook would catch fire. "Yes. Zariah Launceleyn. She is the headmistress. Young, but rather capable. Very unscrupulous, and rather disliked in the Hollowed Ground... she used to be queen there, until she was made to leave."

Tyrant was probably more accurate, but Maea did not enjoy spreading third hand information around like it was truth.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
It seemed like the system of magic was wrapped up in legend and vague tales of Gods and unknowns...which meant Josh had to get to the bottom of it. He nodded as Maea spoke but privately became sure there had to be more going on behind the scenes. Here he couldn't have the same access to equipment he was used to, but there had to be some kind of experimentation he could employ. "Mysteries are my business. I'll start up some research. Might need to ask you for an interview with more questions later."

The name Zariah Launceleyn went down in his book along with the note: French??

"Made to leave? Gracious. Usually monarchs are 'told to leave' by having their heads cut off." In his readings of Earth's history, anyway. "Do you think she'd speak with me about the magic, if she has special knowledge? Would it benefit me to seek a royal title first?"
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea shrugged to both the half request for more answers, and to the comment about Zariah's exile being gracious. "I wasn't here when it happened, so I don't know the details myself. If you want information though, I suggest you try the Loreseeker's Guild. They can help you answer far more than just questions about magic." Conveniently, Maea failed to mention that she was supposed to be part of that Guild. It was all up in the air anyway, no point in naming herself as one if she was leaving soon anyway.

"Oh, I don't doubt it. Possibly she'll ask you to join the school if you want the information, but... depending on how much you want it, that might not be too big a price to pay."

Glancing up at the sun, Maea stood up and brushed grass and dirt from her skirts. The day was wearing on, and she had only half accomplished her task. She would have to get moving, if she wanted to get anywhere before night fell.

"You can reach Halo by way of the portal within the Spire," she offered, jumping the chase of a question she assumed would follow. "I should be going... but it was... interesting to meet you."

Maea offered the strange man a smile and a nod, and headed for her basket, preparing to leave.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
"Loreseekers." Josh snorted at this name, thinking it an oddly whimsical way to put what they did (he assumed information gathering), but still thinking they would be worth a visit. If anything else, he could see if they'd get in his way for his own investigations.

He had no intention of joining any organisations - he'd always been a lone wolf; other people were liabilities, especially if you began to care about them (always when the issues began). Not saying that to Maea though, he just nodded about the academy, thinking if Zariah didn't willingly speak to him, he'd just have to go through the rooms until he found what he needed.

Portals being something so casually mentioned, when he'd had to argue passionately for their existence back home...it was a bizarre kind of vindication, but one that he felt regardless, and he felt good letting her go. "Alright. Thank you for your time. Goodbye." It was always good to be polite as they left, so if you needed them later they might talk to you again.
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!