Training bookish men must be more quarrelsome than others

Age: 24 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Socks Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Quanil stared at the military barracks for a long time, started towards the door, turned away, turned back, over and over.

This was an entirely New Experience. Quanil liked New Experiences to a certain point. Most New Experiences had some quality of familiarity to them at this point in their life. But this one... this was entirely New and now they were left foundering.

I have to do this to be a good and proper Loreseeker! they chided themselves. They'd made a list. Finding their sister was at the top, always, but this might be helpful for that. The provost's lecture had underscored just how many dangers were out there, and those were just the ones they knew about!

Quanil swallowed hard. Marching right into the military barracks and asking someone to train them in hand-to-hand combat was... How would you even...? Where does one start?!

By going in and asking someone. If nothing else, asking people questions was a necessary part of being a Loreseeker. They had to do this, and they were going to do it, for Safrin's sake! But do I have to do it today?

That was the voice of fear! Quanil would not give in to it! They pushed themselves into the barracks and asked the very first person they came across about training, trying to show the sort of resolute spirit that might inspire one of the soldiers here to think that this plucky young person might be worth the time and effort.

The soldier just jerked her head in the direction of the training yard, said, "Help yourself, I'm off-duty," and left.

Quanil deflated as they wandered out into the training yard, looking around for... something, they didn't know what. A familiar face? A cue to what they should do? Any idea at all, really. They'd know it when they saw it.
Alina Estarr
Hunter

Age: 59 | Height: 4' 10'' | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
Alina distrusted the outsiders. However, she firmly believed that the best way to know an enemy was to observe them. And, after finding out that they'd constructed a military barracks, her curiosity had overcome her dislike of all in the Hollowed Ground. So she'd flown over, a wooden spear gripped tightly in her hands, bow and quiver at her hips.

Spotting a likely looking building, she circled it cautiously a few times. Spotting a soft looking person entering, she smirked, and descended. It didn't take long, once she entered, to find him. "You." She approached them from behind, brandishing her spear. "I wish to test myself against a Hollowed Grounder."

Shifting her stance, she narrowed her eyes at him. "Defend yourself." With that, she jabbed forward with the butt of her spear, mostly testing the waters.

Age: 24 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Quanil jumped a little at hearing a voice from behind them, but when they turned around with their usual friendly smile, they were looking at the pointy end of a spear. Held by a Fae! Ooooh, another Fae! The wings are still so lovely, so light, you'd think they wouldn't let a body float, much less fly, but I guess they do did she bring the spear with her or did she find it here I wonder where the other spears are and are there more Fae with them, too, is it Fae Training Day?!

Their thoughts were cut off by their new friend's curt words. This was a chance to help someone! And maybe get some training in for themselves as well! "Oh, I'm a Hollo-... !" They didn't get more than that out before the Fae issued a... well, a commandment, really, and one Quanil readily obeyed, jumping backwards reflexively and falling on their butt into the dirt of the training yard.

"Whoa, hey, be careful!" They scrabbled away until they felt like it might be safe to get to their feet again. "You could really hurt someone if you're not careful." It was meant as a gentle reminder not to go jabbing spears into people.

A couple of soldiers in the training yard looked over at this and rolled their eyes before resuming their sparring.
Alina Estarr
Hunter

Age: 59 | Height: 4' 10'' | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Sneering at her opponent's complete lack of skill, Alina stepped forward as they toppled to the ground. Then she paused, letting them say their piece. Rolling her eyes at the comment, she adjusted her grip on her weapon. "I can also hurt people when I'm being careful. That's rather the point." On the word point, she spun the spear in a flashy circle.

Then she settled into another stance. "I did tell you to defend yourself. That's more than any real enemy would give you." With that, she sprang forward. Sweeping the butt of the spear again, she swung it more like a staff than a spear towards her opponent's legs, hoping to knock them to the ground again.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!

Change author:
Quanil was very impressed by the flashy circle. And they couldn't argue her point for two reasons:
  1. It's true an enemy wouldn't give a warning like that before attacking, which was something they would need to get used to, and
  2. She didn't really give them much of a chance to do so. Which, again, was proper Enemy-like behavior.
And so, once again, Quanil found themself on the ground, leg smarting something awful from the strike it had taken. "OW!" They'd expected to get a bit bruised up during training, but that didn't mean the reflex to cry out in pain was any less.
Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
Unsurprisingly, Alina had little trouble hitting her opponent this time. Indeed, as they topped to the floor and let out a cry of pain, she let out a derisive snort. "Is this the best you've got?" Almost her voice was incredulous, as if she couldn't believe how weak the Hollowed Grounders were.

Still, she'd be a fool to not press the attack. Lifting the butt of her spear again, she swung it down towards the fallen opponent. Her target was their other leg, the one she hadn't already damaged. This time, she was hoping to hit their shin, enough to bruise but not to do any permanent or serious damage.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!

Change author:
Quanil jerked their legs apart, because it was the quickest and easiest way to get their other leg out of harm's way. "Whoa, hey!"

They sat up and made a grab for the spear, hoping to get hold of it to keep it from hurting anywhere else. With their legs apart, a quick swing in towards their body could have been very ouchie indeed. "And yes, this... this kind of is the best I have at the moment." They were better than they had been - working to rebuild the Temple had helped, as well as carrying some of the heavier tomes around the guildhall - but that didn't mean they knew what to do with their improvements.
Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
Alina's blow missed when the fallen opponent avoiding it through the simple expedient motion of jerking their legs apart. Snarling at this, she attempted to lift her spear. At their words, she smirked. "Pathetic." However, the opponent grabbed her spear.

Instinctively, she tried to jerk it back. However, it seemed their strengths were well matched. So Alina shifted strategies. Instead of trying to pull away from them, she shoved forward, trying to use their own pull to add to the force of the blow. The butt of her spear swung low. It was aiming right between their legs, since she had no qualms about striking their groin.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!

Change author:
"I came here to train!" they exclaimed in self-defense. Unfortunately, speaking in their own defense was a lot easier for them than acting in it. Which was, again, why they were here!

They definitely had not expected the sudden shift in strategy and direction. The good news was that the strike was not going to hit their groin! The bad news is that, since Quanil had been pulling, they were now pulling the spear-butt UP... and into their gut.

With a WHUFF sound and some bugging of eyes.
Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
As her spear slammed into her opponent's gut, Alina grinned triumphantly. Lifting her weapon, she rested the butt on the ground. "Clearly you need the training." Her tone was derisive and dismissive. There was absolutely no sympathy in her demeanor. Indeed, she seemed to have enjoyed vanquishing her foe.

Her wings flapped almost daintily as she lifted herself off a few inches off the ground. Pointing the head of her spear at him, she sneered down. "You are hardly a worthy opponent." The words came out tauntingly, and she drifted forward, hovering over their fallen body. "Don't tell me you're giving up already." She scoffed, as if the idea of such weakness was abhorrent to her.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!

Change author:
"Yeah... training... 's good." They regarded the pointy spear bit.

Giving up actually sounded pretty good about now. Their tummy hurt something fierce, and their leg was throbbing. But they were going to be a Loreseeker! They had to do this!! But I don't know how... They were used to using their brain, not their body. That had always worked before. So... maybe there was a way to do that here, too?

Those pretty fae wings were fluttering, lifting her off the ground, so she had the height advantage... but it also meant she was less stable, no hard earth beneath her feet. This was going to be a gamble.

They scrambled to get their feet under them and launched themselves upward, grabbing for the spear again not only to get hold of it, but to push it away from their delicate, easy-to-poke-holes-in body. "Loreseekers never give up!" they cried.
Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
As her opponent finally stirred and showed signs of life, Alina grinned savagely. Always happy to continue to scrap, she let them grab hold of her spear. For a moment, she wrestled for control.

Then, though, she let go with her right hand and spun her body to the left. Her goal was to use her opponent's grip on the spear to pull them towards her. At the same time, she was planning to use the momentum of the spin to bolster the right hook she was sending their way. Its target was the closest shoulder of theirs that she could reach from her position above them.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!

Change author:
They did their best to keep their grip on the spear. Even with ground beneath their feet to anchor them, they were barely holding on. Mental note: Fae wings even more powerful than first reckoned. Then she started pulling, and they stumbled forward more out of surprise than anything else.

When they saw a punch coming at them, they reacted out of instinct, reflex, more than anything, and brought up their left arm to protect themselves, bracing themselves for impact. Then they let go of the spear in the hope she'd fall - well, fly - back.
Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
Alina didn't mind when her punch hammered into her opponent's arm instead of their shoulder. Already pulling back for another blow, she paused when they let go of her spear. Her wings fluttered as she gained a bit of altitude, not wanting to give them another chance to strike at her.

Sneering down at them, she spun her spear again idly, simply limbering up. "Are all outsiders as soft and as weak as you?" The words came out with a dangerous, though she didn't move to strike him away. She simply stared down at him as if he was an insect that she was considering grinding beneath her boot.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!