[OPEN] A Different Kind of Sun
Open
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MORGAN

For the first time in a long time, Morgan had felt some anxiety before this particular endeavour. An examination of a territory was hardly a new thing, but she had never ventured beyond the borders of Halo to do so; the fear of the unknown could affect even the strong Captain, who could not imagine a world left alone by the snow and wind.

Perhaps then it had been a mistake to come to Torchline first; arguably it was the most different to her home, the most contrasting place she could have picked - however, Morgan had gone there specifically because of this, on the idea that if she acclimatised herself to the most extremely different climate first, she might not find anything else Caido had to offer too shocking. That, and Torchline was the newest connected land to the portal-tied places, a potential site of any current negotiations or a new threat.

Coming through the portal, it would be rather obvious she was someone unused to the heat. Dressed in leather leggings with heavy boots and a fur-lined cuirass, she was immediately overfaced with the oppressive warmth in the air. Stepping into the treeline along the shore she began to remove the heavier armour, hoping to travel lighter carrying her gear than wearing it for the time being. With the cuirass off and the boots removed, she felt lighter indeed and could walk out onto the beach, holding the equipment at her side.

Morgan stared out to the ocean, wondering how it could look so like the Sea of Glass and yet entirely different at the same time. Walking down to the bubbling break of the waves, she knelt to touch the surface, making soft spiral patterns appear before her as she tried to find spirits within the water similar to the ones she knew at home.

They try to comfort me with platitudes
They don't know I'm in a real fine mood
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
MAEA
The portal activated again, and a slender, pale-faced figure stepped out of the mirror-like surface. Shuddering from the experience, the girl dragged her fingers through her hair, left hanging long and white to drift around her shoulders. Squinting up at the brutal sun, she pulled the folds of a dark shawl over her head, and began to make her way down to the beach. Her clothes were not exactly fitting for the scenery either, with its long sleeves and high collar, but at least the fabrics were light and breezy, the kind of shirt and trousers fit for moving about in even when the temperature was this oppressive.  

Gazing about the lanscape with the lazy curiosity of a tourist who had seen the attraction at least a few times, she spotted the woman at the beach. Noticing the patterns she drew in the water, the girl angled closer,eyes brightening with intrigue; it looked interesting, whatever she was doing.

"Is there a purpose to this?" she asked once she was in hailing distance, close enough that she wouldn't have to shout - but Maea stayed on the shore, unwilling to disturb more than necessary. It might be something important.
Nothing lasts forever, I thought you should know
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
MORGAN

Morgan could tell there were indeed spirits in the water. Different souls to the ones in Halo, who tended to be rather hardened and world-weary; these were playful, quick, seemed to want to play with the water she bent around them. It was harder to grasp their language, but she was just beginning to get somewhere, when a voice from someone decidedly mortal surprised her.

Annoyed at herself for becoming so involved in her task she'd become defenceless, she stood and whipped around, ready to face a threat; though it appeared she'd been lucky. This girl didn't look to be dangerous. Morgan relaxed a little, though she still made sure her weapons at her belt were easily accessible.

"I am attempting to communicate with the spirits of the water." She explained, looking back to the ocean, where the spirals she had made were dying back down to a normal wave against the shore. "I find the patterns make it easier to draw them to me."

Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
Now, there could be a whole monologue stated here about appearances being deceiving and the dangers of judging anyone by a simple glance, but as it turns out, Morgan's assessment was not wrong. The explanation only brightened the expression on the girl's face, and without a second thought she came striding out into the water - damp clothes be damned - and leaned over to look at the disappearing swirls.

"Did they have anything to say? I have a friend who do similar things, though she doesn't really need the patterns to hear them. Quite the opposite, she hears them too well instead."  

Straightening up, Maea regarded the woman with a smile, eyes quickly taking in her style of clothing - what remained of them at least. There was a flash of recognition. "You are... from Halo, right?" she asked, clasping her hands behind the back in a very casual, non-threatening stance.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN

Morgan watched Maea walk confidently out into the ocean and took a couple of steps forward herself into the surf; in Halo, swimming was hardly an option much of the year, with the water freezing around your ankles in a matter of seconds. She was hesitant to step too deep into the water, but with her magic she knew she'd be able to control the ocean in an emergency.

"They do not have much to say to me. I am a stranger." She shrugged, sure that over time she'd be able to communicate with the natural spirits here, if she wanted to. "Water spirits have...fantastic memories. They usually remember anything that happened on the seas in the last thousand years, at least." A lot of the history of her people she'd learned had come from the water rather than books.

As for the patterns...idly, Morgan flicked some water up and swirled it about in the air, a rare sign of playing about with her power. "They aren't necessary. I just find it gives me a focal point. Your friend...what do you mean, too much?"

She nodded at Maea's question, supposing her ill-suited clothing made it obvious. "Yes. I am Captain of the Guard in the Citadel." No harm in telling her - soon enough it would be common knowledge as the nations continued to bleed into each other.

Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea nodded with interest, not a thought given to question whether this woman knew what she was talking about or not. The way she drew the symbols with water in the air suggested competence, and firm belief in her own actions. All things she approved of. "I've never heard spirits say anything... except my brother, once. He helped me understand a vision I was given." A small anecdote, with few details - or at least that's what she intended. No doubt it could be elaborated into a complicated story if this person turned out to be the curious kind.

"Oh, they trip her a lot. Talk to her all the time, so sometimes it seems she's lost in thought, when really she's listening to them. I suppose it comes with being a child of Mort." Shrugging slightly, Maea's smile was rather fond as she thought of her friend. Newly acquainted or not, she'd become quite taken with Delphia.

As she found her guess to be correct, the girl brightened, her back straightening ever so slightly. "A pleasure to meet you, Captain. I'm Maea, I study at the Academy." She held out a hand in greeting, to take or reject, as it pleased.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN

Morgan's water pattern slowed as Maea spoke. Normally Morgan did not query about matters unless they were somehow going to give her advantageous information (there was never enough time in the day for idle chit chat) but she found herself curious, never having had a vision herself. "What was the content of the vision?" She asked, wondering if it differed from simply hearing the spirit's messages when communing with the nature.

She narrowed her eyes at the further description of Maea's friend, recognition of the strange girl she'd found by the Sea of Glass firing in her mind. "Do you mean Delphia?"

Taking the offered hand, she shook it firmly. "Ah, the academy." There was a distinct bitter edge to her voice. "I am also enrolled, though...not actively studying."

Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Straight to the point, eh? Maea rubbed the back of her neck, considering. "It showed me how the Outlanders came to Caido, and why," she offered, abbreviating slightly to keep it concise, and to the point. "It was... little over a year ago now."

She brightened when the Captain recognized her description, offering the name of the demi-god. "Yes, I do! You know her too, then?" How very interesting, that they would have common acquaintances already. It seemed the world was still rather small, despite the way it had begun to expand recently.

The grip on her hand was firm and direct, and Maea returned it quite in the same manner, having learned long ago that a shake was really the first way people judged you by. A pale brow did rise at the tone used, however, but it wasn't hard to see why. "Let me guess. Not fond of the head mistress?" she ventured, with a little lopsided smile. She wouldn't be the first...
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN

The vision Maea had sounded like it had contained important information; Morgan felt a little envious, wishing she could have such potentially useful knowledge bestowed on her from up high. Still, she could at least ask about it now. "It is that 'new Goddess' that is the cause, is it not?" The bitterness in her voice at the word Goddess made her opinions on the matter clear.

"Know may be a strong word for it. But I have met her, yes. At the Sea of Glass - she was returning a soul to his family." Honestly, Morgan had been uncomfortable with the Demi-Goddess, but not through any fault, more just a general discomfort at her attitudes towards death. "Many have begun to wander into Halo. As Captain, I see it as my duty to know as many as I can, to perceive any potential threats." So far, she hadn't found any.

Morgan normally would not indulge in gossip, knowing it was best to give a united front...but she was particularly grumpy about Zariah's conduct at the moment. "I find her to be rash. She does not respect my orders and believes she is more important than she is." She stated, with a curl of her lip.

Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
She nodded, confirming the guess. "Yes. She needed outside help to escape her prison. And the means she used are still active... which is why outlanders still arrive." Not a very pleasant topic. "I've posted the information I have on the Notice Board in Hollowed Ground. If you would like, I could get you a copy of it?" Not that Maea thought outlanders would be any more of a problem than anyone else, but it could help.

As for Delphia? She smiled and nodded, and had nothing to really add to the topic.

Waves rolled in and sloshed around her legs. The sun was beating down on them from overhead; Maea pulled her shawl up over the head a bit better, to shield her face.

"Zariah did rule the Grounds for a time," she told Morgan. "I don't doubt she would refuse to bend much to anyone. She is not well liked, and I know many who refrain from joining the school because it's associated with her." Not gossip, really, just facts. But from her tone, and the slight grimace, Maea clearly wasn't very fond of the woman either. Not after the latest training session.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN

Morgan nodded, willing to take information from any sources willing to give it. "Yes, thank you. If you cannot find me, send it to the Palace at the Citadel. It will reach me." The guards there knew that peeking in her mail was a very risky game indeed, so she didn't worry about security. "This New Goddess...is she seen by many nowadays? Has there been any attempt at an attack on her?" If not, Morgan wanted to know why.

Maea pulled her shawl over her head - for the moment, Morgan was enjoying the sun's warmth, finding it refreshingly different from the usual biting cold of Halo. Still, she rose the water a little to come up to her knees, finding the contrast in temperature there pleasant too; it was always the little things, when finding a new place.

She had heard of Zariahs short lived rule, but never spoken to anyone in depth about it. "Who is the leader of the Hollowed Ground now? A more worthy person?"

Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
It was an easy enough promise to keep, and Maea nodded assent, that she would indeed see to it that Morgan received the information. No doubt she would be able to hand it over personally, once she was back in Halo for school.

"Well, by the Ascended, I don't doubt it," Maea replied as the subject switched onto The Voice. "By others... I don't think so. I've encountered her twice, but the last time was... well over a year ago. Just after the Barrier fell." She sighed, rubbing the back of her neck, dragging pale hair behind an ear. "As for attacks... no. She might be new, but she's still a goddess. How do you even begin to battle one such?" The Old Gods themselves had done nothing either, and seemed to remain passive even as more portals were opened... It was difficult to know what their stance really was anymore.

"The Queen is called Rexanna. She is level headed and a kind person. The only thing that really speaks against is the fact that she is Ascended. Well, partly... she has magic too." And she was a friend, somewhat. More that than mere acquaintance... Which made it difficult to know how to relate to her.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN

It seemed that while the Hollowed Ground had suffered this new Goddess for longer, they had as little as an idea as the Halovians did as for how to handle her. That the Old Gods stood by and did nothing while the Voice spread her influence through new followers and portals...it was a cause for concern. "There are ways to kill Gods." She said simply, ominously, thoughts of legends and superstitions coming to mind.

Not that she could imagine for even a moment she might be the one to hold the knife.

"An Abandoned...and Ascended? Unnatural." The curl of Morgan's lip made it clear she found the idea distasteful. "If she is level headed as you say though, perhaps it is worth seeing her. I am glad your people see sense in electing women as your leaders. Men are..." She sighed and shook her head. As much as she had to respect Neron because of his sponsor, she often wished the leader was anyone else.

Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
The single, ominous line was delivered with dark conviction, and the implications of it was a scenario that made the albino girl blanch, horrified. Killing anything outside of need was enough to make her reluctant, and this? It would have such far reaching consequences that Maea shuddered to even think it. She wrapped cold hands around herself in a feeble attempt to stave off a chill, that had nothing to do with the weather.

"That's... How can you even suggest it?" she stammered, shocked out of her mind. The topic of female rulers and the notion that any gender might be better or worse at accomplishing tasks would normally have piqued her interest, led to an interesting conversation...

But it was so very trivial in comparison to this extreme measure that Maea couldn't even comment on it. "To kill a god... the whole balance would fall apart!"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3