reflections still look the same to me
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my love affair with water runs deep into my soul,
the serenity as intense as the tides ebb and flow
Amun had unfortunately run out of clay. While normally he would’ve just called it a day and waited for the next shipment, he was actually working on a commission for once. So, sighing, he grabbed one of the baskets that he’d acquired during the basket-making craze earlier in the season.

Setting out, he headed towards the Glade. Twilight had just fallen, and he watched as the moon shone and the stars twinkled overhead. It didn’t take him too long to get to the Oasis. Once there, he walked around the water's edge. Every now and then, he would stop to scrap up some of the clay he found there and toss the wet clump into the basket.

Joshua
nothing is softer or more flexible than water,
yet nothing can resist it
AMUN
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Age: 42 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Lancy Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Don't hang up yet, I'm not done
I'm an expert, I'm the one
Josh had so far been able to deduct that this world had a similar day/night cycle to his, if nothing else. That meant there could well be seasons, the same kinds of weather...which meant that before long, he needed to find some kind of shelter. A base to collect his items and notes, but also to protect himself from the elements.

Where to do this was still up in the air. Possibly up at the top of the structure he'd first landed by - high up was good, and it appeared to be important. Still, he needed to look for other opportune spots first, so he continued to walk.

Finally, he came across a large body of water, which he promptly dipped a finger into then tasted, trying to ascertain how fresh it was, or if it was saltwater. Why this was important (or not), he wasn't sure, but it certainly felt like it could be significant. Even the smallest detail could reveal all kinds about a new dimension...including the kinds of people there.

He had seen the man at the water's edge when he'd first arrived but ignored him; now Josh watched him collect his mud, carefully and quietly studying his movements. Only when he had been staring for five or so minutes did he march forward into view to talk to Amun, beginning with: "What are you doing?", in a snappy and rather demanding tone.
The one who was right all along
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
At the sound of the other man's voice, Amun straightened up. He'd been crouched to pick up another clump of clay. Holding it in one hand, basket tucked into the crook of his other arm, he turned to face the stranger. "What does it look like I'm doing?" The potter's voice was teasing and bemused, and he held up the clay a little higher before depositing it in the basket.

With that, he walked closer to the other man. As he did, the Ascended's eyes raked down the stranger's body, having no trouble seeing in the dark. "I haven't seen you around before." Amun cocked his head to one side. "What brings you to the Oasis at this hour? Looking for something. Or someone?" There was a flirtatious edge to that last word.
AMUN
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Age: 42 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Once again, it seemed this man in a totally different dimension both understood him and could speak back, yet Josh was struck by the distinct notion that they were not quite speaking English. It was a language he had never known, yet it flowed easily from his tongue, could be read and understood. Had his brain been altered somehow on the passage between? Certainly worth a further investigation.

"Collecting mud." Josh answered plainly, pulling his notebook out; it seemed this man was going to be interesting. "Oasis." He took the name of the place from Amun, scribbled it down, did not respond to anything else for a moment.

Oasis. Deserts, but no desert.
Is water safe to drink? Safety. home
radioactive? no

If Josh noticed Amun's flirtatious tone he did not at all respond to it in kind, returning to his blank stare once he had finished writing. "Looking for answers. I arrived here a few hours ago and so far am unsure if I have landed in another dimension, or a planet." Sometimes, it helped to be honest, at least a little, until you got what you needed.
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
As the stranger correctly guessed what Amun was doing, he grinned and gave a thumbs up. "Congratulations, you figured it out. Well kinda." Voice cheerfully teasing, he tilted the basket so the other man could see it. "Clay, not mud."

However, as the stranger pulled out a notebook, the potter groaned. "Oh no you're one of those." Sighing dramatically, he cocked his head to one side as the other man repeated the word. "And, let me guess, an Outlander to boot?" There was a bit of mischief in the Ascended's eyes.

Nodding when the stranger confirmed that he was a new arrival, Amun smirked. "Does it matter? Also, if you're in another dimension wouldn't you by definition be on a different planet?" Chuckling as if that was the cleverest thing, he turned to resume his careful circuit of the Oasis.
AMUN
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
Not paying attention to Amun's sarcastic tone, Josh leaned forward to take a closer look at the substance in the potter's hands, now that it was clarified as clay. However, before he could think of any questions (the density of such a material, was it poisonous? Why?) Amun had called him one of 'those'.

Josh had heard this before - a flicker of the tired, sardonic journalist he had once been crossed his features. "If you knew half of it, you'd take notes too." He said, voice almost sounding fake it was so much more collected than his usual rambles. Quickly he slipped back into his usual cadence when Amun asked him if he were an 'Outlander'. "I heard that before. What does it mean?"

Amun's question was stupid. Josh barked out a laugh and shook his head, a smug smile on his features. "No. There are several dimensions of Earth - but it doesn't replace everything. It works in patches. Not whole planet replacement. Not yet. Maybe eventually?" This said, he scribbled down an idea in his notebook.
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun smirked at the other man's response. "Believe me, I'm pretty sure I've experienced more than you'll ever be able to fit in all the notebooks in the world." Shifting the basket to a better position, the potter picked his way around the water's edge.

Kneeling, he picked up another piece of clay. "It means you're from another world, like me, and were brought here through the grace of The Voice." Apparently, no one had managed to catch the stranger before he went wandering around, which meant the job fell to the Ascended.

Standing up, he gave the other man a bemused look. "Well. Regardless of where, exactly, you are, it's entirely different from where you were before. You're on Caido now, so get ready for a whole new world." Moving closer, Amun grinned a bit wickedly.

Then he swept into a shallow bow. "Luckily, you have me to guide you. Amun Arlun, at your service." Straightening up, he held his basket in both hands, since it had slipped down during his bow. "It'd be my pleasure to help you. What's your name?"
AMUN
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
Josh doubted very much that Amun had experienced half of the things written in his notebooks but rarely got into arguments not valuable to his investigations, so he did not engage with this statement, just shrugged noncommittally. At least the next thing the man said was interesting - the first time Josh had heard mention of 'The Voice' (at least at the minute, timey wimey). "The Voice. Is that some kind of organisation?" He scribbled down the name on the top of a page of his notebook.

He watched with a flat expression as Amun continued, bowed to him (oddly formal) and for a moment was quiet as if he was not going to respond, but finally he spoke: "Josh. I'll only need your help for a few questions. I'm just staying for an investigation." Josh had full intention to return back to his home once he'd learnt all he could about this dimension, hoped to write some kind of book or call the news.
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Sighing, Amun shook his head. "No. The Voice is a goddess, not an organization." He gave the newcomer a proper once over. "What, no one's given you the run down yet? The whole spiel? It's a good spiel, helped me get used to this place myself." Pausing, the potter stopped his collection efforts, since it seemed that this conversation might last a while.

Frowning, he gave Josh a confused look. "You're staying for an investigation of the Oasis? Why?" The Ascended chuckled and shook his head. "It's pretty and all, but there are much nicer parts of Caido." Winking at the other man, the Ascended let his eyes trail down the newcomer's body suggestively. "And much better ways to spend your time."
AMUN
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
A Goddess. Josh snorted, but wrote it down anyway, certain that when he looked into the matter he'd find nothing of the sort. Probably just some kind of natural phenomenon or Advanced Intelligence that these idiots worshipped.

"No spiel. The first two I met were unhelpful." It seemed Amun might be more willing to assist, from the way he stopped his work, so Josh thought to put some effort into being politer to the man. Purposefully he tried to calm his quick, brusque way of speaking, to slip into the voice he had once used when interviewing people on the air. "I mean Caido, if that's the name of this place. I will not be staying long...I may return, though." He shrugged. It depended how interesting it was.

Now that he was trying to engage in a more normal conversation, Josh thought it prudent to make it clear he noticed the flirting. "I'm not looking for sex right now. Clouds the mind when you have something to do."
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
As Josh revealed that the people he'd spoken to were unhelpful, Amun smirked. "Well that's unfortunate for you. However, it's your lucky day." He winked at the other man. "Now you've got me."

Then, though, Josh revealed he wanted to go back home. Sighing, the potter pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm sorry, but this is going to be hard for you to hear."

Lowering his hand, he gave the newcomer a surprisingly sympathetic look. "Now that you're here, in Caido, there's...no way to return to your world. And you're...not really yourself. You're a...a copy, you might say, of the person you were in your old world, reconstructed here in this one." The Ascended spoke carefully, and his eyes studied the other man's for any sign of distress.

When Josh turned down Amun's rather generous offer, he grinned easily. "Fair enough. Can't blame a guy for trying when he sees someone cute."
AMUN
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
Amun's helpfulness was yet to be seen, but Josh nodded and got ready to write down what the man would tell him, glad to get more leads even if they ended up bogus later. Though as he was told it would be 'hard for him to hear' he lowered his book, waiting for Amun to finish.

"A copy?" Josh repeated, seemingly interested but not particularly distressed. "How is this copy made? How can you be sure I cannot return home? Only because no one so far has done it?" If that was the case, it was hardly any proof at all, and he was certain he could be the first to work it out.

As for if he was cute...rather objectively, Josh knew he was not the most attractive of men. Awkward, gangly, greasy hair, big glasses, a personality that took a lot of finding. In his notebook, under 'Amun', he wrote: Odd taste in men. Different sexual signifiers here? Fetish? Possibly angling for something.
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Josh's question earned him a shrug from Amun. He gave the newcomer almost an apologetic look. "We're not sure, really. Something about collecting information about you and then replicating it here." The potter's tone indicated that he didn't know and wasn't all that interested in the answer.

As for the second part of the other man's question, the Ascended smirked. "Pretty much." Shrugging again, he arched an eyebrow at Josh. "Trust me, the sooner you accept it's a one way trip, the happier you'll be here."

Then he narrowed his eyes. "Besides, if you are a copy, and you do return home, then there'd be two of you, which I imagine would cause more trouble than it's worth."
AMUN
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
"That is what a copy is." Josh commented dryly on Amun's unhelpful explanation, annoyed to not have any extra information to write down. It seemed he'd have to further research this on his own; he wrote clones??? in his notebook in bold letters, underlined.

Amun might have wanted him to accept his entrapment in Caido, but Josh only took this as a challenge. After all, he'd been the first to do a lot of things back home; what would make this any different? Making a way to travel between Earth and this new dimension...it could really make his name, make people listen. It'd be hard for NASA to ignore his dimensional and extraterrestrial research when he could actually take them to a new plane of existence.

"Everyone has multiple selves. The planes cross over often. I've seen many copies. As long as he doesn't bother me, its not a problem. Why would I care?"
JOSH
Base Code by Sky!