The Moon's Request
For Nate
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Age: 42 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Lancy Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
JOSH
The name that Nate asked him for initially made Josh shake his head but then he paused, head held at an odd angle, as the name began to bounce around his mind and feel oddly familiar. He mumbled it under his breath a few times. William Wren, William Wren....suddenly it snapped and Josh nodded, looked at Nate with intensity he didn't realise he held in his gaze.

"He's dead." Was the first fact, but he swiftly followed up with: "Side suspect in a case I read. Not convicted -- died in 1989. Shot by a cop." He shrugged. He'd never bothered to look into it past that. "Of course, might be a different guy with the same name. Uhhh..had two sons I think. Sort of tough looking guy with grey hair pulled back?"
Better to be laughed at than wrong
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
NATE
Well, no news was good news, right? It was a little relieving actually, to not have any kind of update, and for a moment Nate just took the strange way Josh had stopped shaking his head as one of the mans quirks, at least until he heard his fathers name being mumbled. That... wasn’t a good sign, was it?

It was numbing, to hear about his fathers fate. Not upsetting, not shocking, just... strange. Though the cause of death did bring a joyless chuckle to Nate’s lips. ”I think he’s probably the right guy. It’s not a common name. And I uh.. did have a brother.” Almaot unconsciously, Nate’s hand came up to pull his hair back, out of his face. He shook his head, digesting the information, then shrugged, and looked back up at Josh.

”So, are you some kind of detective? PI, or something?” Nate knew it was probably too personal for Josh to answer, given his earlier squirrellyness, but there was no harm in asking. ”What kind of case were you working on?” The wording seemed odd, unless the other man really was just a professional nut job.
to be honest, I’m full of shit
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Age: 42 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
JOSH
Nate laughed at the news of his father's death; it could be derived that William had been his father from Nate's mention of his brother, and that he'd not been a very good one from Nate's absolute non-grief. "You weren't fond of him." Josh said, more of a statement than a question, but there was a raise of one eyebrow at the end of it, inviting Nate to say more if he wished.

"Not a PI." Josh had no problems giving people his job title: most people dismissed it as a joke immediately anyway, and he had always been clear about his motives, even if he was secretive about his research. "I'm a Paranormal Investigator. Interest in cryptids, alien life, dimensional travel." Really, anything that people insisted didn't exist.

This case in question had been a particularly tricky one. Figuring there was no harm in telling Nate as he'd only be seen as an insane man if he tried to tell anyone else, Josh humoured him. "Ghost murders in a nearby apartment. Police thought it was the neighbour, or someone from the lift on the day - like your dad. But it was really the last owner...wasn't happy about the redecorating." His mouth curved up in a humourless smile as if to try and purposefully communicate that this had been a joke.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE
”No shit I wasn’t fond of him.” Nate scoffed, leaning back and crossing his arms. ”I’m just sorry it didn’t happen sooner.” He phrased it that only because it seemed morbid to say I’m sorry I wasn’t there to see it to a complete stranger. Whatever voyeuristic interest Josh had in his relationship with his father, it wasn’t going to be satisfied.

A decision Nate felt great about, once Josh corrected him. He didn’t even bother trying to hide the skepticism on his face. No surprise, because... well, the man looked that kind of crazy. ”Still a PI, technically.” He pointed out, the first thing on his lips ahead of wave of derision. Though... maybe he should be more charitable. After all, he’d come through a dimensional portal to a different, magical world. Aliens really wasn’t a much bigger step past that.

Still, it was a challenge to bite back his disbelieving expression as Josh explained how he’d learned about his father. Nate took a deep breath, processing what he’d been told, and nodded. ”Ghost murders.” He nodded again, trying to swallow it, and looked at the other man with doubt. ”You sure it wasn’t my dad? I wouldn’t put killing his neighbour ost him.”
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
JOSH
Nate's clearly less-than-good relationship with his father was interesting to the remnants of Josh that were still a general news reporter, but it had little to do with his current investigation so he asked no more about it. Plenty of men had bad relationships with their fathers...and looking at Nate, he seemed like just the right kind of guy.

It was obvious he was being judged, but Josh was used to that by now. He'd spent years being the subject of derision and mockery in small towns, national news, internet forums in the most recent years...he just shrugged at Nate's comment. "If you wanna get facetious." He didn't.

"Ghost murders." Josh replied, then when faced with further scepticism, sighed and added: "Was your father able to suspend a man from the ceiling by his own tongue in a matter of seconds?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
"How is it facetious?" Nate huffed, raising a brow. "Paranormal still starts with a P, doesn't it? It's not on you if someone makes the wrong assumption." Logic like this was one of Nate's favourite tricks, one of the ways he'd gotten away with a lot of lies in his old life... maybe it was a little facetious, but that wasn't something he'd ever admit.

There was a gesture when at first Josh only repeated the ridiculous phrase ghost murders back at him, an almost impatient go on. Though, Nate nearly regretted it when the details came, far more grisly than he'd ever have expected. "Shit, that's uh... no, that's too fucked up for him. That's the kind of shit you dealt with?" Maybe he could excuse a few cracks in the other man, seeing shit like that.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
JOSH
Josh purposefully ignored whatever bullshit Nate was babbling on about, sure he didn't want to argue the finer points of the acronym 'PI'; the only indication that he'd heard at all was a raise of his eyebrows accompanied by a tired sigh.

The reaction to his tale surprised him; maybe he'd become to desensitised to the horrors he had seen, because Josh's first thought was really? That's not even that bad. He nodded and shrugged, looking Nate up and down. Too easily rattled. He'd be a bad ghost hunter. "Much worse than that too. The supernatural was working on Earth far more than you knew and it was gory and fucked up that whole time."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
There was no response to his frankly waterproof statement that Josh was still a PI, regardless of whether the P stood for private or paranormal, so Nate chalked that up as a smug win. Especially since the only reaction he got was what seemed like sullen resignation.

Though he didn't get to enjoy it too long, not with the description of ghost murder, and the sudden sense that he was the one being judged. "Well fuck. I... if all this ghost shit has been happening forever, why don't you hear about more of it?" It's half a challenge and half genuine interest, though the judgment has left Nate's face rather quickly.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
JOSH
"Because people react like you are right now, then chaos starts." Josh had seen plenty of 'average' people when faced with the kinds of things he used to see on a daily basis - they became panicky animals and rationality flew out of the window. It was why he'd always sought to make his work known to the government but not the general public, even if they hadn't cared.

As fascinating as this conversation was, it wasn't helping him anymore, so he decided to move on to better and more useful things. "I need to go now. Goodbye. I hope finding out your father was shot by a cop gave you some closure." With that said, Josh swiftly walked away.

{FIN}
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3