the scenery's turned wicked
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1897
MAEA
Maea winced as her intended respect made the woman huff in outrage. Was it bad to be old here? At home it was an accomplishment to have survived long enough for wrinkles. She watched the back of the healer with a rueful expression, rather vexed that Saiden had to cover up her mistake (again), and only turned her attention back to the man when the woman was out of earshot.

She sat up more properly and accepted the crystal he offered. Turning it in her hands, she found it a lot smaller than expected, and strangely heavy. The weight of it anchored her back into reality, the gravity of what they had accomplished a mix of leaden guilt and soaring pride arcing along her spine. "I see. Purely practical reasons, then. Still, I'm grateful." Looking up, Maea offered him a tentative smile, the first one she'd made that day. "You're not half bad to have along on stupid missions."
Nothing lasts forever, I thought you should know
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Saiden grinned easily at Maea. "I'm a practical guy. And you're welcome. Don't get used to it. " So said, he slipped his pack back on and stood up.

Laughing brightly, he shrugged. "I'll take half-good. It's always nice to have a little good and a little bad in you." He reached down to give her a hand up, should she need it and choose to accept it.

Regardless, he'd reached up to adjust the straps of his bag then. 'Right then. You ready to go and test your next little toy?" He pointed at the incredibly close water, then began to walk towards it without bothering to see if she was following.

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
She did accept the hand, and managed to stand with a slight wince. Unlike Loren's ministrations, this healing still left her feeling battered and sore; there was a pressure in her head still, and every muscle in her body ached. She was tempted to decline, to head straight back home and sleep for the next few days, but... looking down at the crystal, she thought better of it. After all this, Maea wanted to make sure it would actually work.

So she sighed, and waded out into the water after him. Already sopping wet, the ocean was actually more comfortable than the shore, and it soothed the strain on her muscles.

"How does it work," she asked Saiden, tired but determined.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Smiling as Maea managed to get upright, Saiden gave her the crystal. As she followed him out to the water, he shrugged. "I did tell ya that the crystals are just a rumor, right? I dunno if this will actually work." He'd mentioned that before, but he didn't want her getting upset if this ended up to be a fool's errand.

Coming to a stop, he put his hands on his hips. "Supposedly, you press the crystal against your throat. Then you can breathe." Gesturing at the sea, he grinned. "So I guess it's time for you to take a little swim. Don't worry, I'll rescue you again if this goes sideways."

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Wading out after him, Maea nodded. She'd heard about the crystal from someone who'd seen it work, so perhaps she trusted it a bit more, but there was still a niggling doubt left in her.

"Suppose there's only one way to find out," she shrugged. Lifting the crystal to her throat, the girl sank down into the water and let it rise up above her head. But there, she hit an immediate snag. The instinct to hold her breath was immense, and the natural resistance against letting water into the lungs made her shoot back to the surface again. After the third time, she spat salt from her lips and glared at the ocean, then bit her teeth together and looked at Saiden.

"You're gonna have to hold me down," she told him, grim faced. "Until I have no choice but to breathe in under there."

Basically... until she either began to drown, or the pearl began to work.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Laughing, Saiden nodded. "Suppose so. Let's get on with it then." He simply watched as Maea dipped beneath the surface of the water. As she did it a second, and then a third time, he raised his eyebrows higher and higher.

When she asked for him to hold her down, he blinked. Finally, he smirked at her and nodded in agreement. "My safe word is coconut." Winking, he waded out towards where she was.

When he reached her, he gestured for her to go under again. When she did, he'd place his hands on her shoulders and push her down. If she tried to fight him off, he'd use his magic as well.

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Was it scary, to possibly put her life in the hands of this fickle, strange man? Yes. Very much so. But did she want to come home with a crystal that didn't even work, and explain to Sunjata how she'd nearly gotten herself killed over nothing? Not at all.

So in the end, this seemed the less of two evils, and with the pearl pressed to her throat, the girl slipped back in under the water. Soon, there were hands on her shoulders to hold her down, and she could focus on doing what she had to do. Which was simple as it was dangerous. Run out of air, and then force down a lungful of water.

It didn't take long before she began to struggle against Saiden's grip. It had occurred to Maea that this might turn out dangerous for the both of them, if she panicked and lashed out with her magic... but hopefully he had enough of his own to shield from the worst of her attacks. No doubt the blow to her head helpt keep the magic at bay too, because it didn't slip her control, nor do much at all save for make the water around them very very cold.

Black dots began to appear before her eyes. The urge to breathe in was overwhelming, the instinct to avoid doing this just as strong, and for a precious few moments they hung in the balance, warring for dominance within her.

The necessity for air won out. And quite without meaning to, before she was entirely ready, Maea drew in a deep breath. One that would flood her lungs and fill them with water and necessitate some dragging up on the beach again and get her airways clear and... and it didn't happen. (Sorry Saiden, no mouth to mouth today.) Instead of water, the only thing that entered her lungs was air. She let it out again in a stream of bubbles, then tried again, less frantic now. Again it worked, just as the legends had said.

She stilled, and looked up at the fisherman, his figure twisted and distorted from the churning water. And she grinned. Wide and relieved.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Unfortunately, if Maea was looking for sympathy, she wasn't going to find it with Saiden. Indeed, he grinned down at her as she began to struggle, and redoubled his grip, fully resisting his efforts. Although she seemed stronger than him, he was uninjured, and he had the leverage.

As he felt her take a breath, though, he immediately released her. He was fully prepared to drag her to shore and get the water out of her lungs by any means necessary. However, it proved unnecessary.

As she grinned up at him, his own grin turned to a smirk. "Guess all those rumors had some truth to them after all." He put his hands on his hips and gave her almost a triumphant look.

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Of course, Maea couldn't hear him beneath the water. Just knew he spoke, and that he'd released her shoulders. She lingered below for a while longer, then stood up and took a breath of air again, to make sure it worked fine. Which it did; she didn't even really feel a difference, which was a relief. Something to keep in mind for later.

"Well, at least now you know it works too," she told him, and pocketed the crystal with a very content look about her. The loss of a life to obtain this treasure was unfortunate, but hopefully the carcass would benefit other creatures on the beach. Maea would spend some time praying over it later, and hope Rae accepted the offering.

"You didn't happen to pick up my bow, when you got the crystal?" she asked Saiden, realizing for the first time that she didn't have it on her. Thinking back, she found it must have been knocked out of her hand when she fell that first time... Maea swallowed. Perhaps, if Saiden didn't have it, she would have to return to that beach sooner than expected. No way would she leave it behind.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Nodding at Maea's words, Saiden slipped his hands into his pockets. "I sure do. Others will no doubt be pleased." He was as excited as her at this development.

However, as she asked about her bow, he let out a chuckle. "No, sorry, I was a bit busy trying to get you to a healer before you died on me." Raising his eyebrows, he glanced in the direction of Rainbow Road.

Then he shrugged. "Unfortunately, after this long, scavengers of one kind or another have probably gotten to it by now. We could go to check, if you really want to." He figured it would be a fool's errand, but he wasn't going to abandon her to the mercies (or lack thereof) of Torchline while she was still recovering.

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Cold disappointment filled her as he denied having it, and the girl bit her lip. Looked off in the direction she'd come, thought of trekking the long way back and then return again. She tried reaching for her magic, but found that the water she could manipulate was shaky at best, no doubt a side-effect of the bump to her head... so she couldn't bring them there by water, like Saiden had.

Maea sighed, then nodded. "Sunjata gave me that bow... I can't leave it. You don't have to follow though, I've already gotten the crystal. Technically speaking, your part of the deal is done." He had given her the information and the aid she'd requested... anything beyond this would be working for free.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden raised his eyebrows at Maea's insistence that she go back to look for the bow. "Or you could say to this Sunjata fellow 'so sorry, lost your bow in a fight.' If he's not totally crazy, surely he'd understand." However, it seemed like she was determined to head back to Rainbow Road to see what she could find.

Although he had quite a few reservations, he sighed and rubbed the back of his head. "Nah, if you get yourself killed I can't collect from you. Come on, then." With that, he began limping back in the direction they'd come from, heading slowly, but surely, back down the coast towards the site of their battle.

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea just shook her head, with a stubborn set to her jaw. "He's not crazy. You don't understand. He wouldn't think twice about leaving it either, but... it was the first gift I ever got from him. It's more than just a bow." And no doubt she was ridiculously soft for placing so much value on a simple item, but it was the utilitarian nature of it that made it so important. It wasn't a trinket, something pretty to make her smile for a day or two... It was a step towards fulfilling a dream. A quiet way to show support.

But she didn't tell Saiden any of this. He could think whatever he wanted, stay or leave or do whatever. When he said he would join her anyway, Maea just nodded and began to limp after him, equally as battered and bruised, but very determined. She hardly even cared if the bow would prove useless, as long as she found it. As long as she at least tried to find it.
Lost in a world full of non-believers
Searching for smoke in a still water pond
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden rolled his eyes at Maea's words. "He's not crazy, but you might be." Eyes sweeping over her as he gave her a once over, he put his hands on his hips. "Or you might've taken a harder knock on your head than I realized." Peering at her curiously, as if he could tell one way or another which one it was, he eventually shrugged.

They hobbled their way back towards the Rainbow Road. It didn't take long to reach it, even with their injuries. This time, the cook kept a much closer eye on the geysers, giving them a wide berth since he didn't have the magic or the nimbleness to avoid them as easily. In the distance, he could see birds circling, so he angled towards them, figuring they were feasting on the carcass of the manta.

Coding base by Sky!