And we'll all hang on behind
For Saiden
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Jiao
"He does? So you think he'll find who took my fabric?" Jiao asked, brightening up a bit at the prospect of being able to stick their captain on the case of her missing textiles. Still, the intensity with which Saiden spoke took her aback somewhat. "You...sound kind of like you're scared of him."

She sighed as Saiden chastised her for asking about his family members death - she supposed it was fair enough. She'd just never been good at the whole genuine conversation thing, or really the friend thing in general. For a moment Jiao was quiet, looking over the room and it's ingredients and tools, mentally seeing if she knew what each of them did.

"I.." Jiao began, looking back to Saiden. "...Learnt to cook, kind of, from my mum in our first house. We lived under the roots of a tree, so we could not make food with too much smoke; she made a lot of salads and things we could cook in a big pot outside. The Elders said...before the barrier came up, if any human kids came about, they'd tell them we were boiling humans to get them to go away." She laughed. "It was always just birds or fruit."
With your big heart, you praise God above
But how's it working out for you, honey?
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
just take your time wherever you go
Saiden laughed at Jiao's idea. "You're welcome to ask him, but I'm pretty sure he'll just tell you to 'fuck off with your petty concerns.'" Doing his best to mimic Jack's voice, the cook shook his head, an amused expression on his face.

Shrugging at her comment, he gave her an appraising look. "Nah. Not scared. Just wary." He dropped his voice to a whisper. "It's not wise to waste the captain's time on any ship. That's more true on the Ark." It was an almost gentle warning.

Keeping his back turned to her, he sighed. "It was my sister, and she died in childbirth." It came out bluntly. Looking over his shoulder at her, he grimaced.

Then he forced himself to relax, and to face her. "Why did your Elders want to scare humans?"
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Jiao
"It's not petty. Those were made from Greatwood fibres - you could sell it for a lot." Jiao knew that if marketed right, Fae goods sold to humans automatically caught a fair price, especially if she herself was the one doing the trading. More interesting than the missing fabric though was Saiden's caution surrounding their captain, which made her tilt her head. "Did you get in a fight with him some time?"

Having found out the answer to her curious questions from earlier she realised she really didn't know what to say. There wasn't a way to move on conversationally from 'died in childbirth'...she just nodded and didn't say anything more of it, feeling guilty for asking in the first place.

At least Saiden had a question for her. "They didn't want them in the woods. Humans..usually cause trouble for us."
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Saiden arched an eyebrow at Jiao. "Ah. So now you're an expert on what the captain thinks of as petty and not petty. And after so short a time on board." Tone clearly mocking, he wagged a finger at her. "Word of advice? Keep your head down for a while and do your job to the best of your ability before running off to Jack with requests."

Shrugging, the cook shook his head at her question. "Nah. He's just got little patience for fools." Reaching into a drawer, he pulled out some flour.

Pouring it into a bowl, he reached out with his magic and added some water. Adding a few more ingredients, he soon had a dough that he began kneading in practiced motions. Not looking at her, he nevertheless cocked his head to one side. "What kind of trouble?"
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao
"Blllaaaagghhh. Everything has to be a big deal with you." Jiao rolled her eyes, making a face. She'd make her own judgements on when she could talk to the Captain and what concerns to take to him, thank you very much.

Saiden said he'd never been in a fight with Jack, but Jiao wondered if that was true. Someone didn't usually go on about how prickly someone else was unless they'd had some proper experience at the hands of them. In the back of her mind, she decided she'd try and talk to their Captain as soon as she had a chance to, ask him for any stories and find out for herself just how fearsome he could be.

Quietly she watched him make the dough, wondering what it would go on to be. "Well...from what I was told, they used to steal a lot of things from us. Not take any notice when we told them not to intrude on our land. We only ask for the Greatwood...but it seemed they still wanted to take." These words were clearly remembered, not spoken in her usual cadence. "They had no respect for our sacred things or beings and often destroyed our rituals and spiritual sites...and ...given what happened to the Mathair, it seems they've continued doing that." She shrugged though; personally, she found the portal a little more useful.
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
"Yes." Saiden's response was immediate, and he gave Jiao an unimpressed look. "You might want to start treating everything on the Ark like it's a big deal as well." There was a warning in his voice, and he crossed his arms and almost glared at her.

As he kneaded the dough, he put a bit more force than was strictly necessary into the motions, obviously perturbed by the conversation. As she explained why her kin why outisders weren't welcome in the Greatwood, he glanced at her. "Sorry to hear they had no respect for your boundaries or traditions." Then he tilted his head to one side. "What is this Mathair and what did they do to it?"
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao
"Mmm. Sure." Jiao groaned back, clearly tired of Saiden's attitude; they were on a pirate ship! (Smuggling ship, whatever, same aesthetic as far as she was concerned). It was meant to be fun, not deadly serious - besides, what could Jack do to her, if she was caught in his bad books? She could fly away from a knife and she wasn't scared of yelling.

She did notice Saiden's...passionate kneading, but looked away with a roll of her eyes. "The Mathair was a big tree in the middle of the Greatwood...but it was more than that. It was a God, too. I never...prayed to it or anything, but it was special. The humans came and destroyed it to make their portals." Not all the humans, admittedly, just the Ascended - but everyone had used them. "And I mean...I used the portals to come here. But...they could have tried to ask us about it, work something out, instead of just destroying our things."
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Snorting at Jiao's response, Saiden shook his head. Lowering his arms, he went back to kneading the bread. Soon enough, the dough was ready, and he set it in a corner to rise.

As she began speaking about this Mathair thing, he started going through his supplies. Grunting as she admitted she'd used the portals (which he knew, given she was here) he started noting which ingredients were running low on a sheet of paper. Glancing up from his work, he cocked his head to one side. "Would you have let them do whatever it was they needed to do if they'd asked?" Lowering his head, he laughed, figuring he already knew the answer.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao
Jiao watched Saiden go to put the dough down, her brow knitting in confusion (it wasn't done yet, was it?); not wanting to show her lack of cooking expertise, of which there was a lot, she didn't ask.

It was obvious what answer Saiden was expecting, but gladly she could actually surprise him. "Actually, yeah. Well, I would have. Other Fae probably wouldn't...but I've always wanted more ways to explore and the Mathair never made me feel special like it did other people." She shrugged; Jiao had found it difficult to access her spirituality in the way the people around her could in her life.

"And Fae can't lie, so you know I'm telling the truth." She nodded.
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
When Jiao commented that she'd have welcomed whatever it was that had been down to her people's Mathair, Saiden hummed, the sound entirely noncommittal. "So if you don't care, what's the problem?" His tone was clearly distracted, and he continued to write his list.

However, he glanced at her sharply. "What do you mean, you can't lie?" Looking back down, he scribbled a few more notes on his paper. "Do you mean it makes you uncomfortable? If so, you might want to get over that." He smirked, clearly amused at the Fae's naivety. However, he looked over at her again, giving her an appraising and not particularly impressed look.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao
"I'm not all of the Fae, am I?" Jiao shrugged. "I don't make the decisions for the Greatwood and I...don't like a lot of the things the other Fae like." She'd always wondered if she was secretly a small human with mutant wings, from how she seemed to have vastly different values to the rest of her people; but really she knew there had to be others like her - just scared to be public, known as different to her community.

She rolled her eyes at Saiden's question then shook her head. "No. Fae can't lie. If we try, the words won't come out. It's not about me being uncomfortable."
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden arched an eyebrow at Jiao's response. Then he shrugged and went back to taking inventory of everything in the kitchen. "Is that why you decided to join the crew?" His tone was distracted, and only mildly curious though he found himself glancing up from his notes as he waited for her reply.

However, his jaw actually dropped as she revealed Fae were incapable of lying. "Wait, really?" Laughing, he shook his head, then gave her an amused look. "That's alright then. Just keep your mouth shut about business aboard the Ark and you should be just fine." He winked at her, the motion playful, though his tone was deadly serious.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao
Saiden's question made her pause, mostly because Jiao still didn't know quite why she'd joined the crew herself. It was hardly her kind of thing; it had seemed appealing in the moment and she'd jumped at the chance for something exciting. "...No, not really. That's why I left the Greatwood, but I think I joined the crew because.." She was about to say something bland about 'wanting adventure', but the words would not leave her. A lie.

"...Because I still wanted to find a home." She finally said, irritated that the truth had had to leave her. "...I dunno, I guess I just want to find somewhere where I belong. It's dumb. Never mind." Obviously embarrassed she looked away from Saiden, hugged her arms.

Jiao said nothing to his teasing, though it was unclear if she was sulking or jokingly following his instructions.
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
As Jiao actually fell silent, Saiden looked up from his work. He arched an eyebrow as he waited for her to finally speak. When she did, he remained quiet himself, letting her actually get the words out before responding.

"It's not dumb at all." His voice was soft, and all trace of annoyance was gone from his tone and his demeanor. Setting his notes down for a moment, he smiled at her. "The sea has been the only home I've ever known. And a crew will be a family to you, if you let it." Then he laughed. "Complete with squabbling and arguments. But we've got each other's backs."