And we'll all hang on behind
For Saiden
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Jiao
Very quickly, Jiao had learnt two things about life on the Ark:

1. She enjoyed being on the ocean very much.
2. A lot of time spent in the boat was really, really boring.

With such a limited amount of space compared to what she was used to, Jiao had felt cramped after her first moment in the ship's bowels, and the feeling had only increased. She tried to occupy the bridge as much as she could, craving the wide expanse of sea around them, tried to test her wings by flying out as far as she dared over the waves and back to the ship.

At least she had been given some duties, which she'd taken to well; in her first week as quartermaster she'd made several smart but comfortable choices about the crews bedding and clothing. Her own bunk was immediately separated from the rest by a curtain she made from scrap fabrics she'd brought with her (yet somehow, it appeared a large portion of her selection had gone missing) for privacy. There were several crew members curious about Fae anatomy in a way she was not at all fond of, and she would not give them the satisfaction.

The next place to tackle was the kitchen, and indeed, the kitchen's rather...characterful cook. Determined to see what needed to be done (and honestly, looking for a chat - it was so dull on the ship sometimes, and the crew men were often lacking in good conversation) Jiao flitted into the kitchen, looked about for Saiden...then realised he was snoring in a hammock suspended across the room.

A little grin on her face, she flew up and laid as horizontal in the air as she could over the hammock, so her face was lined up with his, then as loudly as she could, yelled: "BOO!"
With your big heart, you praise God above
But how's it working out for you, honey?
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
just take your time wherever you go
Saiden might’ve been dozing, and even snoring, but he would’ve been a pretty terrible cook indeed if he didn’t rouse himself as soon as someone entered his kitchen. He’d cracked an eyelid just barely open, seen that it was Jiao, and decided to pretend to stay sleeping in the hopes that she’d go away. The Fae was fascinating, yes, but also...a lot.

Unfortunately, no such luck. As she actually yelled at him, he reacted on instinct, grabbing his sheathed cutlass and swinging it through the air at her before his eyes were fully open. Some water had bubbled up from a barrel as well, and was streaking towards her. Thankfully, he managed to redirect both strike and spell before they hit her. "Please don't ever do that again."

Rolling up, he stood, replacing his cutlass where it had been resting, and shooing the water back to its barrel. "How can I help you?" Yawning pointedly, he moved to check on the stew he'd set to simmering in the stove carefully constructed for use on a ship.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Jiao
"Aaah!" Jiao flicked back up towards the ceiling as quickly as she could away from Saiden's blade, though had he not controlled the slash she would have been hurt. For a moment she was shocked, went to sit on the counter and put a hand to her chest, but then she began to laugh, pleased she had succeeded in her goal of surprising the cook. "Well, your fault for sleeping all day!"

Looking idly across to the water descending back into the barrel, Jiao took no notice whatsoever of Saiden's hinting yawn. "I need to help you." She clarified, swinging her legs in the air (she always felt particularly small in this ship, even with it's cramped rooms). "My job is to make sure everything here's all comfy and ordered for everyone, so you gotta tell me what you need for the kitchen. It's kind of a mess in here. Do you need some storage?"
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
As Jiao flew away to a counter, Saiden rolled his eyes. "Yes, yes, blame the victim." Moving through the kitchen, he grabbed a small spoon. He pointed it at her accusingly. "For the record, I was taking a quick nap while stew was cooking." Turning to the stew, he moving to dip the spoon in it.

However, before it reached the dish, the Fae started going off about making improvements in his kitchen. His growled at the word mess. "Alright, miss. Let's make one thing very clear." He pointed the spoon at her again. "You can do whatever you want with the rest of the ship. But you leave my kitchen alone, got it?"

Turning back to the stew, he finally dipped the spoon in. Tasting it, he nodded, then reached over to what Jiao had called 'mess.' Immediately, he came back with half a lime, which he squeezed into the pan. "I will give you a list of ingredients, and you will procure them." Putting the spoon in again, he held it out for her. "Taste this." It was a fish stew, exquisitely seasoned.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao
"What if you'd overslept and it burnt? Sounds good that I came in." Jiao insisted, unimpressed with the excuse. Though as Saiden told her off, she seemed to shrink into herself a little, nodding her understanding. She wasn't very used to being directly chastised for her words, especially not since she'd gotten herself a title. "Mmm." She consented, looking off with a huff.

There was something quite amusing in watching a cook on a rough sailing ship use half a lime to taste, but Jiao only summoned a little smile for it. Still, when prompted to she leaned forward to try the stew, holding the fork lightly as she guided it towards her mouth.

It was....unusual; not like the food they had in the Greatwood; this difference made her hesitate for a moment before she swallowed. "It's....good...but it needs some bread or something with it. If you're making food like this, though...can we afford to feed the whole crew? This tastes like it has a lot of ingredients."
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden raised his eyebrow as Jiao continued to criticize his decision to take a quick nap. ”First of all, you don’t tell me how to do my job, I don’t tell you how to do your job.” Tone deadly serious, he wagged a disapproving finger at her.

”Second, it’s a stew. It doesn’t burn and it’s impossible to overcook. The heat is too low for that.” His voice was positively triumphant. However, as she agreed to his terms, he nodded, entirely satisfied. So much so that he grinned happily at her.

At her complimented, he grinned. ”It’ll come with ship’s biscuits, yes.” The grin gained a proud edge when she expressed her concern about the sustainability of his cooking. ”Nah, it’s just well seasoned. Also, that’s the beauty of a stew. Few ingredients, and you can stretch it out for as long as you need to.”

Raising his eyebrows, he cocked his head to one side. ”Besides, I caught the fish myself.”
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao
Jiao almost pointed out that he was rather telling her how to do her job by saying he didn't need anything but food ordered, but kept her lips pressed together, trying her best to not further push Saiden away. If they were all going to be together in this ship for so long, she knew, even with her immaturity and frivolous personality, that they had to get along.

She didn't know enough about cooking to dispute his claim, so tried to be satisfied that he had at least agreed with her that biscuits were needed. "Hmm. Alright...well, make up a list of the things you need me to order each month, then. I'll tell you how far over or under budget you are then we can work that out. If you're under, I'd like to try and get some Fae food."

It seemed like she might leave after this, but Jiao stayed seated and after a moment leaned back to ask: "So where'd you learn to cook?"
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden grinned at Jiao agreed to the arrangement he laid out. "Will do. And if you ever need help with supplies, for ingredients or otherwise, let me know. I know the best people in Torchline." His voice was honestly excited at the prospect of working with her.

However, he blinked at the next part of her comment. ”Wait, so there actually is special Fae food?” Reaching out into the ‘mess’ he pulled out a journal and some charcoal. "Tell me everything." There was an eager tone to his voice, and his hand hovered over the page excitedly.

Cocking his head to the side at her question, he frowned slightly. "On my family's ship." There was a sad quality to the words.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao
"From what I've heard, even the best people in Torchline are still kinda sketchy." Jiao commented, laughing; on the ports there had certainly been a lot of pickpockets and shady corner-dwellers. It was clear she wasn't serious though, and she actually thought she might ask him to order some ingredients soon (or maybe some textiles and fabric, so she could make better curtains for her bed).

That he was so surprised about Fae food made her giggle, wasn't it obvious? Still, she'd tell him. "Well, um...we eat a lot of vegetables and fruits and nuts from the woods. My favourite is-" Here Jiao said a word unpronounceable by human tongues in the old Fae language. "-which is a kind of...roasted nut mince wrapped in a leaf. You tie it together with grass and then put spices over the top." Speaking of food from her home made her smile a little distantly, nostalgic now for things she hadn't thought about for a while.

Either not noticing Saiden's sadness or not caring, Jiao leaned forward. "Your family had a ship? What was it like? Was it like this one?"
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Grinning at Jiao, Saiden shrugged as he replaced the lid to the pot the stew was cooking in. "In my experience the sketchy people are the best people." His voice was cheerful, all traces of earlier annoyance with her gone.

As she explained what her people preferred to eat, and went on to describe a delicacy, he scribbled furiously. Doing his best to write down the word she said, he looked up at her excitedly. "What type of leaf, which nuts, what grasses, and which spices? Is it cooked at all or just served as is" His entire demeanor was eager.

Nodding absently, he waved a hand vaguely. "We did, though it was not quite as large as the Ark."
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao
"For shady things, sure. Not for anything else. I had a bunch of fabric in my bag when I came here and now it's all gone! I think one of the crew stole it." Jiao huffed, rolling her eyes. What kind of pathetic thief took textiles and nothing else? She had plenty of other valuables, but none that she needed for her craft as badly as the fabrics.

She described the Fae food further for Saiden, trying her best to remember each spice; she had never been a cook. Her mother had tried to teach her once, long ago, when they still had something worthy of being called a family.

"Did you...trade too?" Jiao asked, smirking at the obvious double meaning. "Are any of your family on this ship?"
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden shrugged. "Nah, no one would steal from a fellow crew member. Jack'd have our heads." Of course, Jiao hadn't been a crew member yet, and the cook had already fleeced the fabrics, so he wasn't worried about being caught. Giving her a sympathetic look, he leaned against the wall. "Sorry to hear that, though. But shady doesn't have to mean bad." Grinning suggestively, he laughed.

Noting down everything she said about the food, he nodded gratefully. However, his expression faltered at her questions. "We did. And no, none of my family are on this ship." Closing the notebook, he slid it back into place, not looking at the Fae. "The only other member of my family who came to Caido died." His voice was sad.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:
Jiao
"You mean Jack would have your heads...if he found out." Jiao winked at Saiden with a laugh, sure one of the crew had taken her fabrics and secretly tucked them away somewhere. She'd seen many bottles of booze and cards stolen back and forth throughout the bunks over the weeks she'd spent on the ship.

Family members dying was sad indeed, but Jiao only wore an embarrassed, serious expression for a moment before curiosity took over. "Who was that? How'd they die?" While her voice did not carry quite as much free spirit as before, it was still almost offensively light and lilting for the subject matter.
Do you feel loved?
Base Code by Sky!
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
For a moment, Saiden's easy smile faltered. Glancing around warily, though not fearfully, he leaned towards Jiao, eyes serious. "Jack would find out, trust me. He always finds out." Shrugging a bit, the cook leaned back. "A little bit of fooling around is fine, but any serious issues are swiftly dealt with." His voice came out with a warning tone.

As she went on to make light of Vanya's death, however, he grimaced. Turning his back to her, he busied himself with checking the ingredients he had, making notes of the ones that were running low. "All due respect, quartermistress, we don't have that kind of relationship." His words were sharp, and he refused to look at her.