well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
whatever comes, let it come
what stays, let it stay
Ignoring the pained response—he'd been hoping to hurt her as she'd hurt him—Loren just stared at Amalia. However, his own carefully maintained exterior crumpled as she admitted to her own grief. "I know." Not who, even, but he knew these depths of despair.

If only he knew the way out of them.

Closing his eyes briefly, he took a deep and steadying breath. When he opened them, they glittered with unshed tears. "He had a lot of questions about this world." Looking away from her, he placed his hand on Astra's fur, drawing comfort from his companion that she was more than happy to lend them. "Thank you for...answering them. I know...he wasn't the easiest to get along with." His voice came out half-choked and guilt flashed through their bond as he admitted that.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
A deeper conversation is all I want from you-
When Amalia returns it is with two cups and a kettle now set upon the stove. She places them silently onto the counter letting Loren take his time. Letting him manage his grief how he needs to, a sounding board if nothing else, incapable of very much more today. "He did," she agrees, the ghost of a half-smile flitting over her lips. "He asked them well."

The next thing she grabs is a pot of dry tea, spiced and heady: the same one she served Abasi that day when he came into her shop. As the water heats in the stove behind them Loren's voice breaks; Amalia smiles again, still faintly, more for the lost undertaker than for anything else. She shrugs: "I didn't mind," she admits, running her finger around the rim of a mug. "I took him to meet Ludo, after. I hope that made it easier for him when... the next time they met."
- I want the words you're afraid to say:
the lonely ones you keep hidden
between the folds of your heart
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Simply nodding at Amalia's comment, Loren's eyes followed her as she set the kettle on the stove to heat. "Let me help you with that." He held up a hand, palm up, and steam shimmered in the air above it briefly. However, he made no move to heat the water in the kettle itself just yet.

When she revealed she'd brought Abasi to see Ludo, though, the healer's hand fell and his eyes grew sad. "I didn't know that." It came out in a whisper. He swallowed as Astra pressed against his side. "Thank you. And—" Voice choking off for a bit, he sent the baker a pulse of gratitude even as he took a deep breath to try and find his voice underneath the grief. "I'm sure it did." However, his eyes glittered with tears.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
A slow blink is the only sign of agreement, consent for magic to warm her water should he choose to use it. He seems distracted by the revelation of Ludo, though, and Amalia leaves the kettle in on the stove, silent as Loren works through his grief. The memory of Abasi peppering Ludo with questions about the afterlife is nearly enough to make her smile. She would have liked to get to know him better, she thinks.

Alas, she never will.

Loren is slow to speak, but his emotions tell volumes. As he builds gratitude and words within his throat Amalia continues to work on tea, removing the steaming kettle from the stove and pouring the water over the dry tea. The aroma that fills the shop is entrancing, a delicate and delicious combination of spice and earth.

It will have to steep before it's ready, and the Shield has work to do. Glancing at Loren with a pulse of sincerity, Amalia offers him a shadow of a smile. "I need to put together the next bake. You're welcome to stay as long as you need." Need, not want, because how often do those things really line up?

She waits a moment for his response, then turns and sets about her work, gathering bowls and flour and oats.
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
As Amalia poured Loren a cup of tea, he accepted it gratefully. Nodding when she mentioned that she had to get started on her work, he offered her a tentative smile back, though his eyes were still sad. "Want help with that?" He took a sip of his tea as he waited for her response.

However, when she began taking ingredients and supplies out, he moved. Sliding around to the other side of the counter, he reached up for a bowl that was on one of the higher shelfs that he saw her reaching for. Giving her an almost apologetic and certainly rueful grin, he set it down on the counter.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
She raises an eyebrow at his offer to help, resistant for a second before giving in; "Sure," Amalia allows softly, the ghost of a smile on coral lips. And when he comes up behind her as she rises on tiptoes to try and collect a bowl the baker can't help a slight snort of laughter, tucking her hair behind her ear, something close to teasing in her dark eyes. "My hero."

Flour, oats, and salt go into one bowl;  yeast, water, honey and molasses in another. She leaves the dry ingredients to Loren to mix should he so choose, watching sidelong with the attention of any protective artist allowing another in their space.

Once the wet ingredients are mixed together she returns to the larger bowl, looking to see if Loren has made a well for her to pour into. "I heard you live in Halo now," she comments, preparing to add the liquids to solids. "That sounds... cold?" It's a much milder version of what she wants to say: like a terrible idea, why would you do this to yourself.
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Snorting at Amalia's comment, Loren shook his head almost a bit sadly. "Hardly." He gave her a chagrined smile. "I've made way too many mistakes to be considered anything close to resembling heroic." Tone more than a bit ashamed, he ran a nervous hand through his hair.

As she poured the dry ingredients into a bowl, then moved to the wet ones, he raised his eyebrows. Then he picked up a spoon, and began basically tossing the bowl she'd left behind. It wasn't long before the oats, flour, and salt had been mixed to the best of his ability.

As she came for his ingredients, he stepped back. "You get used to the cold." He shrugged, clearly unbothered by the climate of Halo. Then he hesitated, shifting his weight awkwardly from side to side. "How have the Hollowed Ground been?"
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
She adds the wet ingredients slowly, holding the bowl up with one hand and using a spatula to mix with the other. The cold isn't really what she'd meant to comment on, but that Loren takes her question at face value. "I don't think I could," she comments, looking down at the dough. Get used to the cold, get used to Zariah- it still makes her uneasy, just thinking about the Merciless ruling so close beside them.

"The same as always." The Grounds have been quiet- or as quiet as they ever are. As the dough comes together Amalia turns it out, beginning to knead against the counter. "You should take a loaf when you go. Or more than one. I hear Halo doesn't have a lot of resources."
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Loren shrugged at Amalia's response, stepping back to let her take over the mixing bowl. "It's not for everyone. But neither is the Hollowed Ground." For a moment, his expression grew stricken before he smoothed it into a neutral mask. Still, he couldn't prevent the sorrow from bleeding through his link to her.

As she told him they'd been the same, he rubbed the back of his head a bit nervously. Shaking his head at her offer, he sighed. "Thanks, but we make do. Besides, there are people, in both the Ground and Halo that need it far more than I do." Indeed, while he was still thin, his frame had lost the gauntness that seemed to worry people so much.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
"You're very good at rejecting help." The observation is a little dry, but there's irritation behind it, and exhaustion behind that. Shrugging, returns her attention to the kneading, working the dough steadily and trying to maintain some level of positivity - or at lest, not outright unhappiness.

With nothing else to offer, Amalia has work to do. "There are a lot of orders... I need to make supplies for LongNight. So I should do that." Something of a curt dismissal, maybe, but the Shield is not feeling emotionally prepared to play nice. "It was... come visit again. Before LongNight, hopefully."
the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
"I know." Loren gave Amalia an apologetic smile. Rubbing the back of his head sheepishly, he shrugged. "Would it shock you to discover that I don't think I really deserve help after everything I've done?" Falling silent, he awkwardly shifted his weight from side to side. Lowering his gaze to the countertop, he sighed. "I will take some loaves then, thank you." And if he gave them away in the end, she'd never know.

At the mention of LongNight, though, he bit his lip and glanced back up at her. "On the subject of LongNight...I was going to tell Rexanna to let anyone from the Hollowed Ground who wished to spend it in Halo know they were welcome. At least in my infirmary, so long as they bring their own food and supplies." His voice came out hesitantly, as if he didn't know how she'd take the news.

Nodding at the dismissal, he pushed off from the countertop, reaching out for Astra. "I will. Promise." His luxere companion let out a fond bleat, sending a pulse of affection towards the baker. For his part, the healer looked at Jyoti. "Goodbye Jyoti. And...sorry to both of you, again, for how I acted when I came in here." He turned to go, though he paused in the doorway for a brief moment.

But if the Shield of Safrin had nothing left to add, he'd continue his departure.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
"Not particularly, no." Weary, Amalia can only offer the thinnest smile, the humor far from her dark eyes. Walking toward the back once again, she begins to gather up some of the hardier loaves, as well as a few muffins and scones.

Piling the baked goods on the counter for Loren to take, she gestures to the muffins with her chin. "That's for, um, Zariah's kids. They liked them. The rest you can distribute however." She's not sure how she feels about staying in Halo for LongNight, but it sounds like it could be safer, at least.

Astra's affection is echoed, the Shield feeling nothing but adoration and sympathy for the luxere. To Loren she nods, feeling uneasy but too tired to address it. "Goodbye, Loren." She watches him walk out through the door before returning to her work.

{Fin}