miles past the point of giving in
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Samuel
Recently, Sam had been noticing an influx of bugs in the Atheneum, likely due to the warm Longheat weather beginning to attract them. While he was rather immune to bug bites (his fluid did not attract many of them) he still found them irritating, running over the surface of his pages as he tried to write or buzzing past his face; eventually he'd decided he had to do something.

His home, like many in the domiciles, contained Humming Bats in the attic. Most of the time he was unawares of them, the buzz of their hums quiet enough and their access point in and out of his house being through a hole in the roof (that thankfully, was at an angle to not collect rain). He had climbed up the rickety ladder with some fruit to attract one down, then gently captured it in a sack - not intending to keep it very long, he hoped it would forgive him.

Arriving in the Atheneum in the early evening after a brisk jog over, he stood in the middle of the hall then opened the sack, letting the bat flit out; at first it was confused, swirling about the tables, but soon enough with a hum it found its way up to the domed ceiling; Sam watched it fly up with a smile, wondering if it was worth finding another one to keep it company.
Part of being alive is wishing that you weren't sometimes
as your brain forces you to breathe
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
meet me where the falling stars live
i will wait for you
"Why are you trying to fill the Atheneum with bats?"

As if the paper moths were not enough. Amalia senses the bat before she sees Sam, well attuned to the presence of animals in her surroundings after spending so long among them. Humming bats were always a friendly creature, one she enjoyed: shy little songstresses, there had been a small colony in the attic of the bakery before a family of owls moved in.

But she has never seen one in the library, and never anticipated seeing one released willingly indoors. That Sam is the one doing it both surprises and confuses her. She's been wanting to talk to her brother the Ascended for a while, since their last meeting, but things had been... busy, to say the least.

But now that she's back on her feet, healed physically if not mentally, she rather feels like running away.

Awkwardly standing between the stacks, Amalia cannot help but remember their last ill-fated encounter in this place. Her eyes flick briefly over Sam's face before rising to the bat. "How is it going to get out?"
day and night
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Samuel
Amalia's voice suddenly calling out made Sam jump, looking swiftly down from the freshly released bat to look at his half-sister. "Oh, um. There's been a lot of bugs in here lately - I know Humming Bats will eat them and they don't hurt any, so I was hoping a few might live here and help with the bugs." He shrugged, unsure how good this plan was, but he knew he was getting sick of his work being interrupted by a diversion to capture another beetle.

As for how it was going to get out, he looked up to the ceiling and chewed at his lip. "I...had hoped it might be happy here. That I could bring some others...it's warm, there's plenty of ceiling space and bugs to eat. If it did want to go home though, I could ask an attuned to help me - you could, even." Sam gave Amalia a weak smile, hoping she'd agree.
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
i will wait for you
Sam's surprise startles Amalia in turn, the Shield taking a half-step back at the sudden reaction from the Ascended. The presence of bugs is news to her, but of course she hasn't spent much time in the Atheneum of late; regardless, Amalia licks her lips, still not fully convinced by this plan. "And when it starts pooping everywhere? Or takes pages from books to make a nest? Where is it going to get water?" She raises an eyebrow, a silent hmm?

Leaning against the bookshelf Amalia looks once more at the fluttering bat. "Maybe it'll be happy for a while, but... bats need space to fly. Even a big cage is still a cage." She glances at Sam again, something wry in her eyes. "We should know, right?"
day and night
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel
"I was going to put out some water...I hadn't really considered the uh..poop." Perhaps it was little silly, but since that particular biological function had altogether left Sam's life over ten years ago now, he quite often forgot that it was a fact of existence for most other creatures.

He could see what she was saying with the look to him, raised his eyebrows and gave her and understanding nod, but still: "It's much bigger than the attic I took it from...and there's ways out of here, I'm sure." If there wasn't, well..maybe he could leave a door open every so often and see if the bat chose to fly out, then.

With one last glance up, he turned properly to Amalia. "Are you here to see Jigano...?"
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
i will wait for you
Of course he hadn't thought of the poop. Amalia flashes Sam an unimpressed look, but for all her disapproval she's become invested, now. This space is bigger than an attic, and maybe with some work...

The mention of Jigano draws her attention back; she glances at Sam, blinking. "No, I... I don't know why I came." Sighing, Amalia adjusts her weight so she's no longer leaning against a shelf. Instead she extends her hands to the books, fingers lingering on dusty spines, her eyes wistful and far away. "I used to spend so much time here. I knew where every book was. But now..."

With a sigh Amalia removes her hand, pushing a lock of hair from her face. "What about you?"
day and night
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel
Amalia's admission changed the mood somewhat, suddenly this was less of a passing meeting and more of an actual conversation. He understood the desire to wander to somewhere familiar just for the comfort of memories, gave her a sympathetic smile. After all, they were trying to be more understanding with each other at the moment, weren't they?

"We've been moving things around recently. Some of the books were getting mouldy on the top shelves so I've been working to rewrite them and replace them lower down." It was a huge project, one he'd only been able to attempt in chunks, so the Atheneum was in a constant state of jumbled genres at the moment. "That, and people don't put things back in the right places." His frown at this spoke deeply of his frustrated librarian soul.

As for what he was doing there, Sam looked up to the bat...but that wasn't all. "Well, I was going to work on the project I've been writing. A history of um...the time in the barrier." This was a lie, but he didn't want to tell Amalia about his Voice book; it seemed like it would cause more problems than good. "I could...stay to talk for a while though?" A cautious, hopeful offer to his newfound sister.
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
i will wait for you
There's a pang of something bitter in her heart when Sam explains their recent renovations. Remorse? Regret? Jealousy? She used to be part of all of this and now her life is so full of other things, bigger and  much less well-defined than organizing words in books. Now Sam and Jigano have slipped into that role, and she feels suddenly lost.

"That's... good." She can't meet Sam's eyes, though his comment about people not putting things away correctly earns a snort of agreement. "I'm surprised nobody's made an automatic sorting system. Though I'm sure people still wouldn't use it."

A history of life inside the barrier is a clever idea, though Amalia has to bite her tongue against a comment on its inevitable pro-Voice biases. "That's an... interesting project. With Jigano?" Awkwardly she pulls at the sleeve of her tunic. "Has he told you about Safrin's library? It might... the books in there could be... Helpful. Maybe."
day and night
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel
Amalia seemed sad, maybe disinterested...? at his news about the Atheneum improvements - Sam wasn't sure why, still considering her a part of the guild and as someone that cared about the Atheneum, more than welcome to assist in fixing it up (he'd take any help he could get). Still, he laughed at her comment, nodding. "I think it might ending up causing more problems than it would solve."

He shook his head. "No...usually Jigano trusts me to work on my things myself. He reads them over afterwards." Sam answered, with a tone that implied Amalia should trust him too.

"Safrins...library." Sam repeated, a frown on his face. "He might have mentioned it? I'm not sure. It doesn't sound like the kind of place I might be welcome, though."
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
i will wait for you
She cannot help the way her face scrunches up at his comment, exactly as Sam might have expected. His tone is not lost on her; she stifles a sigh and leans against the stack once more, half-smiling with a shake of her head that clearly states yeah, well, can you blame me? She expects he'd have the same reservations, were she the one cataloging their history.

Still pulling on her sleeve, Amalia fixes her eyes back on the humming bat. "I suppose not," the Shield agrees thoughtfully, now caught up in an idea. "Though Safrin did ask me to move some of the books. To the Undercroft, so not very helpful for you, but... maybe I can transcribe some things. That would benefit your book."

She seems to come back to herself then, suddenly, blinking as her cheeks flare a sudden red. "Ah... if you wanted help. My help. I understand if you don't." She shrugs her narrow shoulders expressively, still rather at a loss for how she is supposed to interact with her newly-revealed brother.
day and night
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel
Amalia's offer of help was one that surprised Sam rather a lot. Her willingness to give him texts and secrets from her Goddess...immediately a part of him wanted to be suspicious, to believe it was a trap - but he tried to press that down, instead believe that she was trying to help him as a sister, as a new friend.

"I would greatly appreciate the help, Amalia." He told her with a smile, hoping it was the beginning of more collaborations between them. "I just...would not want you to get in any kind of trouble with Safrin over it." It did not seem impossible to him that this might end with Amalia being hurt, which he did not want.
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
i will wait for you
She smiles brightly then, not having expected the agreement or appreciation, pushing back her hair with slender fingers. The smile fades at his next comment, though. Tilting her head, Amalia frowns, trying to keep the easy suspicion from rising back into her voice. "Why would I get in trouble with Safrin?" For helping to honestly document their history? For trying to tell a factual account?

There's a scraping noise as Amalia shuffles her foot over the floor, not sure what to say. It seems that every time they come close to finding something together the gods appear between them, reminding them of the distance between. "Maybe... maybe we can work on it without their input. For now. Or maybe it isn't worth it."

Leaning back upon the stack of books, the Shield tilts her head to the ceiling with a quiet, tired sigh. "I was thinking about what you asked. About what I wanted from this. Us. And now that I know I have family, I really... I do want that, Sam." Above her the humming bat flutters and stirs; raising her hand she invites it to cling to her, coaxing it down to hang from her fingers. With her other hand she reaches out to gently stroke its head, taking solace in the small creature while searching her mind for words. "But it feels impossible, and I don't want to lose anyone else. And I don't know if we're ever going to be able to really... communicate. Talk. Trust each other. And I'm not very good at nuanced conversations, or dancing around issues or any of that."
day and night
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel
Sam nearly cringed as he saw Amalia's immediate suspicion. "I only meant that I would not want you to be punished for helping an Ascended, that is all. If she wouldn't do that, well, that's a good thing." He shrugged, trying to show he wasn't looking for a fight over this; it had been a throwaway comment, an assumption that the oft-testy Goddess might not want to help his kind.

Working without the God's input was certainly a way to avoid the issue for the moment, at least. "There are plenty of books here for us to get a head start with." Sam agreed, looking about the Atheneum. It could easily take years to read through all the history collected on the shelves.

Amalia leaned back on some books and sensing a more meaningful conversation was about to happen, Sam sat down at a chair on a nearby table, carefully listening. At first he expected her to say she'd decided to continue as they had been before, so her desire to actually be a family caught him by surprise; still, he knew he wanted the same. "Well...maybe it would help if we...you know, knew each other better? I mean, talk about things that just make us people. Not Ascended or Attuned or anything else."

Hoping she wouldn't find this silly, he took a breath and asked: "For example...what's your favourite thing to bake in your shop?"
Base Code by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
i will wait for you
The little bat on her finger squeaks inquisitively in response to Amalia's shifting emotions, the quicksand of her anxiety desperately seeking to drag her down. It had been foolish to declare her desire for family so openly, to give him the room to respond with a fair no.

But Sam does not reject her outright, so maybe there is hope.

Not moving away from the bookshelf she watches, owlish, as he finds himself a chair. Part of her wants to protest - if not Attuned or Ascended, what are they? - but she waits instead, finger rubbing absently over the humming bat's head.

When the question does come Amalia blinks, raising an eyebrow, clearly surprised. A soft huff of laughter leaves her lips; "Um. I guess, uh, scones. With lavender and honey." There's a longer story to the why, but it isn't what he asked.

Opening her fingers to let the bat fly away, Amalia hums thoughtfully a moment, watching it flutter away. "Why did you decide to make books?"
day and night