no rivers and no lakes can put the fire out
ronin <3
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
the shield of safrin
"Okay." There's a distinct weight to the word, something heavy dropping off her shoulders and sliding onto the sand. Slowly she turns back to face Ronin, the setting sunlight glinting off the hints of lilac in her hair. She tucks a strand behind her ear.

Maybe they can be friends again. Or at least, for tonight, not alone.

Amalia cranes his neck to see past him then. The island is small, but it has some trees on it. "Do you think we can find firewood before it's too dark?" she wonders, her eyes already shifting to an owl's to improve her perception. "If you want to look, I can make the pit. Or the other way around."
She wants the silence but fears the solitude
she wants to be alone and together with you
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
RONIN
if there's one thing i'm good at, it's surviving
Smiling as she agreed, Ronin watched her reflected in the dying light of the sun, the Star following her gaze over his shoulder at the trees in the distance. ”That doesn’t sound too difficult. You go ahead and make the pit, I’ll get some kindling.” Nodding to Amalia, Ronin turned to jog across the sand, feeling that a trip on his cloud would be lazy at this point.

In the wake of the LongHeat sun, there was plenty to choose from; dried wood from palms and driftwood bleached on the sand. Indeed, it only took him a few moments to gather armfuls of the stuff, which he brought back to where he and the Shield had set up unexpected camp. A few further trips and there was enough to start the fire and sustain it for a bit, too, and he smiled to Amalia. ”How’s it looking?”
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
She nods as Ronin agrees to look for wood, happy with this distribution of labor. Her skills are far more geared toward pit making than wood gathering, anyway, as the Dark Star will soon see.

There's enough stones on the beach that she's able to quickly put together a tidy pile. They'll ring the fire pit when it's dug: and here Amalia's skills come into play. With leopard paws the Shield is able to make quick work of the sand, extracting out a sizeable pit in a spray of energetically dug sand.

So it is that Ronin's return is met by a large cat digging in the sand. Stopping in her work at the sound of his voice, the leopardess turns around with a Mrrrow? glancing between the man and the pit.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RONIN
It shouldn't have been adorable, the feline way that he caught Amalia off guard digging, but Ronin felt a stupid smile spready across his face anyway. "I think we are pretty much there," he told the leopardess, gathering a few of the driest bits of wood to snap and arrange in a way so that they should catch in the pit and be shielded by the sand.

"Let's see if we can't make a spark, eh?" Nodding to Amalia, Ronin crouched down and raised a hand. He was still not so used to creating starbolts without the intention of hurling them at his friends fighting, but with a bit of concentration, the small shooting star appeared in the air and zapped at the kindling. It displaced a few pieces of wood in its eagerness, but it did cause it all to catch. Success!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Amalia grins bashfully, her teeth sharp underneath the black-lined leopard lips. Sitting back upon her haunches she watches as Ronin adds wood to the pit, tilting her head curiously at his methods as someone not particularly well versed in roughing it and fire-making.

She's just raised up her hind leg to scratch behind her ear when the spark of starlight catches her eye, igniting the dry wood easily. It ignites something in her, too; panicked suddenly, blinded by memory, she lets out a yowl and scrambles back, nearly falling over in her haste to get away.

Pushing herself across the sand the Shield shifts to human form, her dark eyes wide with a sudden terror, arms around her legs. The last time she had seen that starlight had been the day she lost her limbs, and though a season has passed and her body recovered her mind still reels with the trauma. Pale, shaken, breathing heavily, Amalia stares at the rising fire and sees the world crumbling around her. It's dark and despite the openness of the sea and sky she feels trapped, a caged thing caught beneath her fallen history, suffocated by her own brain.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Well that had gone colossally wrong; no sooner had the fire started to climb when Ronin heard a scuffle just behind him, turning to find Amalia... as he had never seen her before, put it that way. And after Amun's reaction to him, it didn't take the Star much effort to realise what he had done. Hissing a curse and moving quickly to douse the flames, Ronin felt something within him curl in on itself and wither. For fuck's sake.

Never would he stop hurting those he cared about, not after what he had done. "I'm so sorry, Amalia. I... I can go, if you'd prefer."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Crumbling ruins, falling stone, the weight of her history on her legs, her spine, crushing crushing crushing-

She blinks and there is light again, and she is on a beach, and Ronin is standing over her, and Amalia can breathe.

Slowly the shaking and terror subsides as the flashback is washed away, disappearing like the fading sun, swallowed by the sea. "V... Vi," Amalia gasps, her tan skin pale, sweaty and cold. "Fuck, I... gods." The starlight still glitters in front of her wide eyes; if she closes them she feels like the earth will swallow her alive.

But Ronin is still there, his voice piercing the veil of her trauma, and Amalia finds herself looking up at him with an urgent shake of her gold head. "No, you don't have to... I'm sorry." Wrapping her arms around her knees, Amalia curls up on herself. "I don't know what- what that was. I didn't mean- I- fuck. Does it ever go away?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
"You have nothing to apologise for," Ronin said simply, rubbing at his forehead and turning to watch the dead fire, still smoking, than bear to look at Amalia. Starlight fractured out of the hunter without his being able to control it; a testament to his stormy feelings. Does it ever go away? Having never experienced anything like what Amalia was feeling, he could only shrug helplessly.

"I don't know. I hope so... I... Listen, I don't want to cause you any more trouble. And I don't want to leave you here alone. So I'll... I will sit down. You can do whatever you need to, for as long as you need to. When you're ready, I'll walk us back." With his eyes on the sand now, Ronin sank down beside the Shield.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Ronin has no answers for her, no solution to her trauma. He can offer her no relief. And what had she expected, really? Wrapping her arms more tightly over her legs, the Shield runs her thumb urgently over her prominent shins, tracing invisible lines in a motion that could hardly be called soothing.

"I'll be okay." This is a lie- or rather, a half-truth. She will be okay, eventually, though for now her breath continues to come fast, her heart continues to thunder. Visibly frustrated, she drops her head down to her knees. "The same thing happened after... After the LongNight with the spark bird perch. With Edy. Never as bad, though."

Curling and uncurling her toes in the sand as though to remind herself they do indeed work, the Shield exhales one more sigh. When she speaks again there is fire in her voice, frustration and anger leaking out among the pain. "For all of Rae's genius in making humans, we're very good at hurting each other. And breaking. And I hate it."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Never as bad, though.

Whether or not Amalia intended to make Ronin feel worse about it, the result was the same, and the Dark Star offered a flat and awkward smile as she spoke. He didn't believe that she would be okay, and he didn't believe that things could always be fixed, once they had been broken. Staring now at the wisps of smoke curling into the air from the flames he had doused out, Ronin heard the frustration in the Shield's voice rather than seeing it on her face.

"Yes," he agreed - for there was no rebuttal to be given. "But we are also very good at being kind to each other, and at building each other up, and healing each other." It sounded like a useless platitude, but it was all Ronin had these days.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
It is a useless platitude. She can feel her frustration rising, aggravation gripping at her nerves, tensing feline muscular beneath the human skin. Knitting her brows, she shakes her head. "Kindness doesn't leave scars." Scars on their bodies, scars on their minds.

Damage is damage, in the end.

Suddenly the Shield springs lightly to her feet, unwinding from her coiled posture to pull herself taut as a bowstring. In a smooth, fluid movement Amalia reaches down, plucking a large rock between her fingers, raising it up above her head. Her arm arcs elegantly as she draws it back, tightening, winding, and then-

release.

The rock goes flying, and Amalia's voice follows, a strange reflection of a similar day what feels like eons ago. "FUCK ALL OF IT," she snarls, howls, screams, watching the stone arc away.

Then, turning back to Ronin with that same feral glint, she jerks her head toward another rock. "Your turn."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Humming a non-commital noise at Amalia's remark, Ronin seemed tired, defeated almost - and so when the baker rose to her feet suddenly, he assumed that she was leaving to go elsewhere. So the sudden, primal curse that left her throat had him jumping in surprise, and he watched the rock sail out into the ocean with a distant sort of remembrance. Blinking stupidly up at her, he didn't seem, at first, to understand. But his body got him on his feet quite without his brain's permission, seizing a hefty rock from the sand instead.

What did he want to say? What did he want to howl to the sky? Words came and went, and as they did that familiar, black anger began to bubble up into his chest and throat. When his arm curled to launch the rock out into the water, it was accompanied, in the end, not by words at all. A feral roar, a cry to the heavens echoed into the waves, pain and fear and frustration and rage all balled into one.

His chest heaving in the silence that followed, Ronin barely wanted to glance at Amalia. "Feel any better?"
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
She steps back when Ronin rises, letting him have the horizon for himself. Truth be told, Amalia couldn't say what she expects from him, whether it's that he'll join her or simply walk away. So when the scream erupts from his throat it's satisfying, cathartic, a relief of sorts.

Broken as they may be, at least they're broken together.

Ronin doesn't look back at her, but it doesn't really matter because she's not looking at him, either. She's looking at the setting sun, arms wrapped around her heaving chest. The light reflects in her dark eyes, illuminating them like embers. "Not really-" buy she laughs when she says it, something tight inside her broken apart now, raw and exposed. "But maybe closer. You gonna light that fire?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
His chest still heaving, Ronin did not expect to hear laughter from the Shield, and his surprise more than anything caused him to gaze over his shoulder and look at her. A smirk flickered briefly on his face; he nodded at her request. Closer was better than further away. "Can do. I'll make sure it's a lot less bright, this time."

It would take a lot longer given how he had doused a lot of the wood with sea water, but Ronin knelt down to the task without complaint. Replacing the kindling and hunkering close to it, that Amalia might not see, he summoned another bolt of starfire and let it hover in his palm. This time he blew it gently into the kindling (needless dramatics but he couldn't help it), where it started instantly to catch and crackle.

"There. We should have a real fire in no time."