no rivers and no lakes can put the fire out
ronin <3
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
the shield of safrin
She waits for the wood to begin smoking anew before turning back to the now-kindled fire, staring at the rising flames with hard, bright eyes. "It's going to be a problem, if I can't handle your starlight." Dry and glittering with dark amusement, she glances back at Ronin. "The next time we do something stupid." Because it's inevitable, isn't it? They're going to wind up doing something dumb.

Sitting back down in the sand, Amalia rummages in her pack and brings out some small treasures. Meat pies, portable; a loaf of bread; and of course, a large canteen of some sort of liquor that tastes vaguely like juniper, leftover from one of Remi's visits. She passes this to Ronin first, figuring it's the thing he's most likely to want. "Speaking of. Want to go explore an underground library sometime?"
She wants the silence but fears the solitude
she wants to be alone and together with you
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
RONIN
if there's one thing i'm good at, it's surviving
"It certainly will. I hope you feel a little less jumpy around it sooner rather than later, given the likelihood of us doing something stupid together," Ronin remarked with a small smile. He had long given up on thinking that either one of them would be able to keep out of trouble for long. It was an inevitability, and they couldn't really do with Amalia hiding whenever Ronin had to... er, blow something up with celestial light.

On the contrary, as Ronin sank down into the sand and Amalia surprised him with her little picnic, it was the meat pie he ended up eyeing, but he accepted the canteen with a gracious nod, lifting it to her in a toast. "You were always planning for this weren't you?" he murmured, taking a generous swig from the canteen and tasting it immediately as Remi's work, before passing it back.

At her invite, he snorted. "No, I absolutely do not," he said, with the easy conviction now of a man who had been forced into so many roles and shapes that he would not hesitate to speak his needs and wants. "But if you do, and you're asking if I will come with you, that is a different matter."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
"I didn't know what would happen tonight." Taking the bottle back from him, she takes a significantly smaller swig, wrinkling her nose as the liquor burns her throat. "But I thought there was a chance it might lead here." In exchange she offers a small meat pie, skewering her own onto a stick and holding it to warm over the flames. The sun has long since vanished below the horizon, leaving the sky a darkening lilac, sprinkled with silver stars.

She snorts in echo, taking another sip of the alcohol before offering it back. "I do. And I am. I have a task from Safrin, going back to her library to move some books. It would be good to have someone I trust there." Pulling the pie back, she pokes it speculatively. "And someone who trusts me, at least a little." If there's a little wry bitterness in her voice she doubts that he will blame her. She, too, is tired of being shoehorned into a role she didn't ask for- and she doubts Deimos will be particularly thrilled, to hear she plans on another misadventure so soon.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RONIN
"Well, I'm glad it did," Ronin said quietly, moving to add some more fuel to the fire as Amalia took the canteen back. He accepted the pie with a nod of gratitude, similarly skewering it so he could let it toast and warm a bit over the flames. It would be a task from Safrin, Ronin thought internally from a place that was several leaps in time from this current thread, and he didn't need to take long to consider it.

"That you still trust me after all of this is... I don't know. I can't say if it's a very sweet gesture, or if it's foolish. I guess we will find out." He shrugged, gazing up and into the stars. "I trust you. Let me know when you plan on going, and I'll be there," he assured her.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Maybe it is foolish. Amalia shrugs, taking a bite from her pie and wrinkling her nose to find it still cold and putting it back on her stick. "I mean... you do have an awful track record." The teasing takes some of the sting out, hopefully. "But you're honest with me in a way a lot of people aren't, I guess. And I need that. Especially without, without Adam."

The name is tremulous, and for a moment it hangs there with all its implications, taunting her. Amalia seems to curl in on herself a little, shoulders tightening, expression growing shuttered. "Though I suppose Adam trusted me, and... well. Maybe trusting my lead isn't actually a good idea." Turning her eyes to the stars, she sighs. Grief, she is learning, comes in unexpected waves and unusual volatility. It's exhausting, and she hates it. And now she is angry, and the circle goes on.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Learning from Amalia's example, Ronin did not take a bite out of his pie, turning it slowly on its stick so it could continue to toast and warm. "I'll have you know, I used to have an immaculate track record," he said, amusement in his tone even if it was fringed with sadness. He used to be reliable; he used to be a captain; he used to be a hero. All dust and ash and dead daughters now.

At her mention of her lost friend - the friend Ronin had only gotten the pleasure of meeting once - the Star leaned across to give the Shield a gentle elbow in the ribs. "First of all, I've died once and that didn't stop me. So I think I'll just be fine under your leadership," he said. "And second... you'll learn, eventually. Not to always be sad when you think about him. I promise."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
She raises an eyebrow with mock dubiousness, glancing back at Ronin."If you say so." She believes it, though. Amalia has full confidence that another life (or two) ago Ronin was a proper hero.

Now they're all just doing their best.

Flinching dramatically at Ronin's ribbing, the Shield does manage a small, rueful smile. "Yeah, well, I wasn't responsible for that one." She would have advocated against it, in fact, but history cannot be undone. The second statement dampens her smile; she looks back at the crackling fire. "I don't want to stop being sad. I mean, I do - he'd be furious if he saw me like this - but I, I don't at the same time. If that makes any sense
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
"It makes sense," Ronin said with a wan sort of smile as he gazed into the flames, finally removing his pie from the heat to take a bite out of it. He had lost enough people now that if he were sad for all of them, all the time, he would never stop. "I think, though, that we continue to hurt them, if we just make ourselves feel bad when we remember them." He shrugged, not knowing exactly what he wanted to say.

"I've watched the world tick by from the stars. And it wasn't a good feeling, to see my friends and loved ones upset because they were remembering me." Falling awkwardly silent, Ronin turned his concentration to the food instead. It was delicious - as always, when it came to Amalia.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
It's true: Ronin is in a unique position to offer insight into what those beyond the mortal realm experience, as different as it may have been from the afterlife in Mort's embrace. "Did you... actually see everything? And watch us?" Not her, of course, but the world in general. The people he'd actually loved.

Tilting her face up to the stars, the Shield catches her breath. "Is... is Aoife up there, now?" The little girl, so beautiful and full of life... she can almost picture her dancing across stardust, growing into a woman.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Ronin nodded softly, unable to properly articulate how it had been up there in the stars, but doing his best. "I saw everything. We both did, Vanya and I. I watched Remi try to deal with it all, and raise Aoife as his own. I think maybe I was already falling in love with him then, watching him shoulder that burden." He shrugged his shoulders.

The idea of Aoife being in the stars as well, though, brought a sadness to his expression. "No, she is with Mort," he confirmed. "Vanya is up there all alone now. I'm working on it." Taking another bite of his pie and watching the flames, he nodded in the direction of Amalia's pack. "You said you had things of Adam's, that you wanted to give back?" Giving back sounded better than burning.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
She smiles sofftly at his admission about Remi, tilting her head to look at the man. "He was so good with her." She remembers sitting with them at Fiat Lux a year before, watching Aoife's childish glee as she played with their tails and ears. When he'd come for help with baby food. When she'd ridden on his back. "She really was his... he adored her."

Working on it. Amalia raises an eyebrow, uncertain. "On putting Aoife among the stars, or...?" The alternative seems more feasible, though Amalia doubts very much that Safrin would release a stolen soul. She waits for him to clarify before following up: "How?"

And then there is the purpose of their presence. "Yeah." Reaching for her pack, she pulls out the items she's brought: a ring, a scarf, something that may have been a shirt. The scarf she wrings between her fingers, tightening around her hands uncertainly. "Should I just... throw them in?" For this having been her idea, she isn't very prepared.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
"She was his. Completely." And nothing anyone ever said about it would change that for Ronin. Aoife had been lucky enough to have two fathers throughout her short little life, and arguably Remi had been made of better stuff during that time. He had taken care of Aoife when things had been at their worst, and that had created an unseverable bond between them. Feeling a pulse of warmth and affection for his husband, Ronin forced himself to consider Amalia's further questions.

Even though time was now wonky as fuck he had his reservations, Ronin had made up his mind and had to stay the course. "No, to put Vanya back with Mort," he explained. "Safrin has said she can do it, but Ludo will be very unhappy. So I am to placate it, by protecting the Hollowed Grounds at Longnight this year."

Finishing his pie and glancing across to see the baker take out the items from Adam, he sensed her hesitation and smiled. "Keep the ring," he suggested. "It won't burn easily anyhow. As for the rest... what would he have done? How would he have thrown them in?"
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
"Ludo will be unhappy?" Amalia would have expected the soulkeeper to be thrilled by this turn of events. Though the cost surprises her even further, causing the Shield to raise an eyebrow. "What will that entail?" Safrin's primary instructions to her somewhere in the timeline had been to keep people in, after all.

She appreciates his input, taking the ring with a silent nod and putting it into her pocket. As for the scarf and shirt... Amalia snorts wryly, shaking her head. "Roaring drunk. With tales of the exploits attached to each one. And probably some dancing." glancing at Ronin, she passes him the shirt. "Making as big a fool of himself as possible, and making me join in."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Ronin shrugged, as if to tell her that he had no idea what was going on between Ludo and Safrin. The goddess had said the soul guide would be unhappy, had given his instructions, and now he was to carry them out. Asking questions was not really part of the job. "It entails my becoming a luxere and protecting the Hollowed Grounds at Longnight with the light from its antlers," he said, like it was the most normal thing in the world. Accepting the shirt with a raised eyebrow, Ronin snorted at Amalia's reasoning.

"If it weren't to honour the memory of a dead man, I would refuse," he said. "Given that it's a special occasion, however... lead on. I'll dance and make a fool of myself in Adam's memory for you."