Training True Colors
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Sometimes it took more than words to bring down the pedestal someone had been placed upon. Word had reached the bard that Amalia’s legs had been healed somehow – the details had been vague at best, only that she had been seen walking again – and he had been overjoyed to hear it. He had undergone some changes himself recently, and a fellow Loreseeker seemed the perfect friend to help him test his new limits and record the results.

That being said, a place with plenty of water around made more sense than not, given what he had to practice with, and in Longheat that rather limited their options in the Hollowed Grounds. The Oasis might have been one option…

But his Guardian Sphere showed little progress towards the opening of another portal yet, and though he felt guilty for using the portals at all he couldn’t entirely deny his innate curiosity as he used them to explore the new land they had become linked to. So it was that he sent Amalia a note asking her to meet him on the ‘Rainbow Road’ he had heard about from one of the Torchline locals. He was perched on a small boulder away from the spray of the intermittently-erupting geysers, writing furiously in his journal as he recorded the surroundings when she arrived, and it was Isuma who would reep! a joyful greeting first, flying over to welcome her big sister to the colorful arena.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
she wants the silence but fears the solitude
she wants to be alone and together with you
The Amalia who finds Jigano and Isuma is, indeed, walking. She is also a lighter, softer version than the angry, broken girl he'd last seen: still brittle, still fragile, but with a new sort of strength and confidence in her spine. Happier, almost, or t least less aimless. A better reflection of who she once was.

Perhaps this is best reflected in her greeting, an arm waved in greeting of Isuma, Jyoti trilling brightly alongside. She laughs as the gryphon flies into her arms, reaching out affectionately to snatch her from the air and hold her close, fingers easily finding their way into the fur between her wings.

This place is beautiful, a gorgeous collection of water and color unlike anything the Shield has seen before. Like all of Torchline it leaves her breathless; her face is awash in awe and wonder, reflecting the the bursts of rainbow water. She makes her way along the beach to where Jigano sits, bare feet leaving feline prints in the sand, and finally comes to a stop beside him while Jyoti pushes her way further forward, eager to say hello. "It's beautiful," Amalia whispers breathlessly. "What do you think lives inside?"
she ran to the lighthouse, hoped that it would help her see
she saw that the lighthouse had been washed out to sea
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Isuma's pulse of happiness drew him from his notes and he looked up eagerly to see Amalia approaching. The gryphon purred happily as she was captured and cuddled, snuggling close to her big sister even as she peeped tiny, happy greetings to Jyoti. Jigano was surprised to see the baker looking so well compared to their last meeting, but he had time to study her as she approached and his smile was soft as she joined him. The starwhale calf received her own scritches as he tickled her chin and rubbed her head in glad hello.

"I've never seen anything like it," he agreed with her assessment, looking from his friend back to the colorful field of geysers and the shallow nearby river that shifted through the grey rocky land. He glanced back, blue eyes twinkling with shared curiosity and eagerness. "I don't know yet... but I was hoping we could find out together." He grinned sheepishly, holding out a hand and conjuring a flame to dance in his palm, remembering Deimos doing the same for him the previous LongNight. "I can't control the water, but I can at least make it hot enough to maybe coax any heat-loving creatures out to investigate. I think. That's one of the reasons I asked you to come. I wanted help testing this new magic out... and I was really curious about this place. But before that... how are you?" He couldn't not be curious about what had changed to get her out of the infirmary and back on her feet - though he remembered Deimos, and leaves, and a quest for Safrin that the General had mentioned. He wanted to hear it from Amalia, though. Her life and her story, in her own words, and what had actually happened rather than what he had known Deimos had planned.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
Running her hands through Isuma's fur, Amalia watches as fire dances on Jigano's palm, the bright light glittering in her dark eyes. Wryly she raises a brow, glancing over and tilting her head. "Fire feels out of character for you," Amalia admits, scrunching her nose thoughtfully. Magic still feels out of character for him, honestly, the decision to become abandoned sitting poorly on her shoulders, but she chooses to hold her tongue. It's too beautiful a day for fighting over philosophical differences, and for the first time in what feels like weeks the Shield feels happy.

The question about how she is elicits a narrow-shouldered shrug, her expression growing somewhat distant, bittersweet as she looks back over the sea. "I'm... better." Better than yesterday, that the last few days before, and worse than when the season began, but she's learning to take things one day at a time. "It was a... a difficult season." She assumes that he's heard about Adam and Peter, that he knows of the disasters they've endured.

Lowering herself down to the sand, Amalia begins to collect the shells and small stones in the sand around her, absently sorting them into piles by color. "Safrin came to visit me. After... everything. She gave me some important perspective. Ludo, too."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Agreed," he admitted back just as wryly. "I never had any affinity for it before. Though the same could be said of earth magic, really." Nor had he ever expected to regain his healing magic, for that matter. He hadn't chosen to become Abandoned. Hadn't asked for his magic to be returned to him, even in the beginning when he had been the most distraught by its loss in his transfer to this world. He had made the foolish choice of asking Safrin about Ludo, worried and seeking the masked god who had disappeared over Deepfrost, and for his hubris in approaching the star-eyed goddess she had cast magic back into his soul - likely on accident, but the result was the same.

He had borne that accident with shame and trepidation at first, but of all people it had been Deimos who had helped him to cast off his hesitancy and embrace the unintended gift, however much like a curse the gods of this world might see it.

He shook off his troubled thoughts off to focus on his friend, who had been through far more pain than mere divine displeasure. Like Loren, she seemed to be recovering but not entirely past that which had wounded her soul so deeply. Nodding at the mention of the season's difficulty he looked away, and Isuma wriggled free of Amalia's embrace to flutter back to his shoulder and give an encouraging purr of support. Adam...

"That it was," he said softly. "There will be more lanterns to make this year..." he sighed and let the sadness wrap around his heart for a moment, allowing himself the chance to mourn another friend lost to Caido's danger.

He heard her words, the casual mention of the gods who came at her beck and call - or even just to visit, old friends in a way few Outlanders could ever know. Well. Perhaps not, when it came down to it. Remi had his special relationship with Ludo, Rexanna was a darling of the Voice... and Ronin belonged to Safrin, of course. Really, it was past time for Amalia to join their ranks. His lips quirked into a smile that held no humor as he firmly shoved the spike of jealousy down deep enough to pretend it didn't exist, reaching up to scratch Isuma's neck ruff and pressing his face into her feathers. "What did they have to say?" he asked quietly, voice a little muffled. "I could use a little perspective myself, these days."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
The comment about more lanterns hurts her, guilt and grief still close to the fore. Instead of replying she continues to sort the nearby debris, the pointless and rhythmic action soothing. A piece of green glass catches her eye; she raises it up into the light, marveling in the smoothness of it, the way the water and sand have come together to dull sharp edges and create something beautiful. Just like Adam, the Shield thinks, sighing under a new wave of loss.

Thus she misses Jigano's envy, which perhaps is for the best. Still looking over the sand and sea, Amalia hums a thoughtful note. "Ludo... said that we do a disservice to those who are gone, when we think too much about what might have been instead of remembering what was." A small crab scuttles across the sand before them; she extends her hand, coaxing it to come investigate closer. Its long, pointy legs tickle against her palm as it makes its way onto her skin, eyestalks wiggling curiously.

Amalia raises her hand to her eyes, looking closely at the strange creature as it in turn stares back. "And Safrin... she helped me realize that I've been trying to be something I'm not. That I can't save every living thing, and Vi doesn't expect that of me, and if I give in to my failures I won't be able to help anyone." There is a resignation in her voice, as though this is recited and not fully believed - habits this deep are hard to break, and despite her absolute faith in the Old Gods, Amalia cannot prevent the doubt she has in herself.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
There was shared mourning for a friend lost, a quiet grief that silenced them both for a time. Amalia found beauty in the land around them while Jigano took comfort in Isuma's loving presence at his side. Talk of death led to talk of gods, and he nodded slowly at the wisdom she shared from Ludo, seeing the truth in it. A disservice to themselves, as well, he thought quietly, shifting the gryphlet off his shoulder and gently shooing her to go play with Jyoti, a friend she didn't get to see nearly often enough.

"A Shield..." he mused, then shook his head wryly, looking to Amalia and her new crabby friend. "The gifts of the gods don't tend to come with instruction manuals very often." He slipped his guardian sphere from his pocket and rolled it around his hand, examining the glow for hints of darkening. "It sounds a little similar to the advice you've given me before," he teased, but gently. He was intimately familiar with the difficulty in breaking his own habits, and could only assume that Amalia struggled just as much. "What have you been trying to be, that she steered you away from? And... what is it that you want to be?"
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
The glint of sunlight on glass catches her eye, her attention shifting from the crab to the sphere that Jigano rolls between his fingers. A memory surfaces in her mind, the conversation with Safrin and her disdain for Outlanders and the spheres in general. Still, she smiles at Jigano's joke, agreeing with a nod of acquiescence. "I suppose it does."

Her dark eyes distant, she lets the creature return to the sand, watching as it scurries off to the safety of a nearby hole. What has she been trying to be? "More like you, I guess," she admits ruefully, pushing a lock of hair back behind her ear. "Trying to take responsibility for the whole world." There is a wry smile on her face and a tiredness in her eyes. "Except I got so caught up in this idea that I had to be something, that I... I kind of lost track of who I am." She shrugs, knowing it doesn't make much sense, knowing she isn't good at words.

Turning up to face Jigano, Amalia winces apologetically. "Sorry. You wanted to practice your magic. How long have you been able to summon fire?" Now it is her turn to be envious, just a little, thinking on his new abilities - curse or not - and the strength they give him.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The sphere glowed reassuringly, the charge none of them had asked for still safe for the moment, it would seem. He tucked it away again as the talk turned back to something more personal and intimate; a question of who and what and where she was going. He snorted softly, amused at her admission even as he sent a pulse of warmth and understanding through the bond. He could hardly fault her for his own hubris, though he doubted she would have listened to anyone but Safrin had they tried to tell her.

"You already are something," he said gently, genuine affection in his voice and in the bond. "Many things, in fact. Friend and baker, Loreseeker and librarian, chosen by Vi and favored by Safrin and Ludo. Companion to Jyoti and fiancee to Deimos," he added slyly at the end.

He rose and waved off her apology with a smile. "Plenty of time to practice it, still. And getting to talk with you is more important to me. Though, if we want to protect anyone else, we'd best start with ourselves," he added with a rueful chuckle. "A bit of training for both of us, perhaps. The last time I went into the Labyrinth I got sliced up by a boggart," he admitted with a faint grimace. "So clearly I need to work on my defense. The fire though... it sort of..." He hesitated, then shrugged a little helplessly. "It sort of crept up on me. Not long, though. I didn't even realize it at first. Magic has been unstable lately and I thought it was just part of how things were shifting." He tilted his head at her, rueful smile returning. "So I need to practice with that today, and make sure I can control it, so I don't hurt someone on accident. What about you? Anything you'd like to work on?"
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Her cheeks color brightly at the reminder of her upcoming nuptials, though there is bitter sadness on her face as well. As happy and excited as she is for the future, she cannot help but view her wedding beneath the fog of loss. Adam was supposed to be there, to tie her bracelet, and now...

Amalia sighs and shakes her head. Another thing that should have been.

Her eyebrow arcs at the comment about being sliced by a boggart, concern and amusement on her face. "That... sounds like quite the story." In light of such a misadventure, no wonder he manifested a more defensive ability.

Rising up off of the store, she pats the sand from her legs and butt. "Okay, well, let me get my shield. You could practice aiming into it, and controlling when I send it back?" As for things she has to practice, she hums thoughtfully while rummaging through her bracer to extract the ornate, titanium shield. "I don't know... I've been feeling like maybe there's something, but I can't put my finger on it yet." Strapping the shield onto her arm, she shrugs and steps out into the pool.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Adam's loss echoed through the bond, a reminder that no matter when it happened, the marriage would be missing a key participant. Worse, though, would have been if Adam had survived while Peter had not, the bard suspected. He would never think that Adam was better off dead, but if he had to go, at least he and the man he loved had been able to travel to Mort's hall together.

Few lovers could be so lucky.

He made a face at her amusement, teasing back. "Helping our newest - and youngest - Loreseeker find a missing sister," he explained. "My part was, unfortunately, to serve entirely as a boggart chew toy until Sam and... I think her name was Weaver? Chased it off with a combination of Sam's barrier and her fire magic." His smile was rueful, but there was a bitter twinge of failure and disappointment beneath the humor. "The stronger I get, the less able I seem to become at actually using that power wisely or well." Remi's words rang clearly in his memory, the misunderstanding of others that greater physical and magical strength equated to any sort of competence or superiority when all too often it seemed to come with the opposite.

Her suggestion for their training was met with an eager nod, and he watched her manipulating the strange magic of her bracer avidly. "I've always wondered how Remi did that," he murmured, curiosity sparking hard within his breast. Fire sparked alongside it, dancing around his hands in subconscious response. He shook his head to focus on the task at hand, gathering the fire into a ball the size of his head, nurturing it between his hands as he tried to think of how Deimos controlled it so effortlessly. "Ready?" When she was set safely in the water he hefted the weightless sphere of twisting flames and then threw it towards the Shield's shield, intending for the burning ball to hit the center of the metal disc squarely. "Well... maybe it will come out under pressure?" he suggested, wondering what new surprises the day would hold for them both.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
The mention of Sam has a strange expression moving over her face, conflicted as to whether she should say anything, unclear on what he knows already about their strange situation. "Is he okay?" It's obvious she's more concerned than an acquaintance would be, but again, she doesn't know how much Jigano is aware of, and whether Sam would want her to share.

Barefoot and bare legged, she steps into the water, enjoying the way the waves lap up against her ankles and calves. Nodding in response to Jigano's comment on strength, she flashes him a rueful glance. "That's kind of like what Safrin said to me. And what I've been realizing." With a final adjustment to the shield strap, she bends her legs to adopt a fighting stance. "I've been relying on my power too much. Thinking it made me more than human, and that I can rely on it without actually having to think."

A sharp nod at the question if ready, and she spar begins in earnest. The ball of fire flies neatly between them, illuminating the water before striking Amalia's shield and vanishing. It's a gentle first strike, but the world isn't gentle, and the Shield can't pretend it is. So when her turn comes for counterattack the girl does so in earnest, thrusting forward with her shield arm and sending the fire back at him. This time the fire flies out in a collection of pinpoints, much like a swarm of fireflies all hurtling toward the bard.

Behind them, Amalia's cheeks are pink from something other than a blush. And somewhere not so far away, the weather has begun to turn.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"He's fine," the bard hurried to assure her. "He became invisible before the boggart attacked, and I don't think it ever saw him. I should have led with that," he apologized with a rueful little smile and an odd twinge of envy through the bond. "We all are, now." Thanks to a judicious use of Healing magic on his part to stop the bleeding and fuse the broken ribs back together.

Amalia seemed well-suited to the water, he thought idly, admiring the strength and confidence of her stance and how she had changed and grown since they had first met. Safrin's name brought the flicker of a wince to his eyes, but he nodded rueful agreement. "Me too," he admitted with a sigh. "And while it does make some things easier, I think I need to remember that, just like when I arrived here... it can be ripped away at any time. I need to learn to control it without relying it for every little thing again." Control, though, was the first lesson of any new ability, and that was what he had asked for her help in practicing today.

He only partially understood how her magical items worked, but the way she flung the fire back, changed into a new shape, gave him an insight into its abilities - and hers, too. Insight he would have to ponder later, because there was no time to be distracted by academic fascination when fire zipped towards him like a hail of angry wasps. He reached out, the scintillating crimson string in his soul vibrating a fierce note, and tried to grasp hold of the small darts of heat and light. The ones in the middle, closest together, were easy enough to gather together and snuff, but he wasn't practiced enough yet to stop them all. He dropped flat in an undignified dodge to get beneath the remaining edges of the burst, and they flew past to be extinguished in a geyser that erupted behind him.

His attention was all for his friend and opponent, not the sky, and he was oblivious to the turning weather as he rose to a knee with a grin and flung not a ball but a spear of fire towards the baker, twisting the flames into a sharp and aerodynamic shape, nearly white-hot at its center.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
He dodges the flung cloud of fire, not particularly neatly but effectively enough. Amalia winces when he falls to the ground, grinning sheepishly from her vantage point, a little embarrassed and a little bit proud as the bard is soaked with water and the fire fizzles in a geyser. She hasn't used her shield very much in active combat yet, instead storing magic and recycling it for later, but she has trained with Deimos on how to wield it and the motions feel similar enough.

Unfortunately that familiarity is not enough to save her from his next onslaught. The spear hurls toward her across the rainbow lagoon with all the ferocity of lightning; Amalia only has a second to react, and the water makes her slow. Leaping to the right and out of the way, she cannot avoid it in its entirety. Fire blooms across her face, a searing burn manifesting on her left cheek. The Shield gasps in pain and surprise, raising her hand up to gingerly touch it.

"Ow."

She doesn't take long to retaliate, though. Without magic of her own to wield, Amalia is left to her whims and her tools- and oh, does she make use of them. Calling on her qilin power the girl leaps up from the sand, landing on the surface of the water and taking off at a run. Her goal is to dodge and weave between the geysers, hopefully causing him to lose sight of her as she slips down once more into the water and adopts the otter shift.

Except... the skin she slips into isn't an otter. It isn't anything she's ever been before. It's almost like Sunjata's, but smaller. Sleeker. Faster.

And pink.