[SE]Morning comes quick bringing tragic goodbyes
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1897
Maea
And time it waits for no one
It heals them when you die
It was snowing. Not unusual for Halo, but there was something different about it this day. Instead of the usual howling snowstorms, the wind was eerily still and the snow that did fall came down in a quiet, steady flurry, each snowflake the size of a thumb or more. It settled on rooftops and walkways, crowding the shoulders of people that walked to and from shops and marketstalls.

The mood was unusually cheerful for a day without sun, but not for the first time, Maea was a dark cloud hovering on everyones horizon. Quite literally, as she had pulled her shawl up over the head to keep the snow out of her hair. With the dark rags billowing about her and the pale face still and quiet beneath, she caught more than one startled glance before people realized that it was indeed not Ludo come to haunt them, though it was its season.

Alas, she left them disappointed.

Carrying a bundle with tools and supplies in her arms, Maea was looking for some place to settle down with her work. But it was a somber task she was undertaking, and none of the taverns or eateries felt like suitable places for it. Nor did she want to sit out in the open, for everyone around to gawk at her.

Stopping by a street corner, she looked around and sighed. Thinking that perhaps it would be better to head up to the Palace instead. Perhaps Loren would have time for her misery... it would be a fair trade, considering how much she'd done the same for him lately.
And soon you are forgotten
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Amalia is not one for winter, though the fur beneath her loose green coat and brown winter pants tells another story. Ears more leopard than human rest on her head, peeking out from under a thick wool hat that covers her plait. A long red scarf hangs half down her back, pinned in place by a crimson brooch. Not the most stylish denizen, perhaps, but the Shield cannot say she particularly cares.

She is sitting off to the side of the market, having found a bench beneath a string of lights. Amalia does not love this place, but her grandmother certainly would. It's an object of the old woman's that the Shield holds between gloved fingers, a beautifully wrought golden comb that the Chandrakant matriarch wore daily in her hair. How long would it have taken Anjali to open a bakery here, determined to feed the denizens of Halo rich, comforting bread?

Sighing a breath of crystallized heat into the chilly air, Amalia raises her eyes from the comb to look back at the crowd. One figure in particular stands out to her, half familiar, half not: a collection of dark rags over a pale white form, the face as white as a winter moon.

For a moment she thinks it might be Ludo dancing among the living; then she blinks, and the illusion is broken, and the figure comes into focus. "Maea?" She wonders, probably too softly to be heard across the bustle of the square.
someday we'll find what we're looking for
or maybe not
maybe we'll find something much greater
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
Maes certainly couldn't hear it, too wrapped up in her own thoughts to care much about the people around her. But she wasn't alone, and the mention of her name on the lips of a stranger caught the attention of the wisp. In a glow of blue fire Shii emerged from within the folds of the shawl and zipped off towards the woman on her bench. Maea turned to follow its path, and when her eyes fell on the seated figure, something in her expression tightened. Anger, sadness, guilt and regret; she had never been good at hiding her emotions, and Amalia knew her better than most. Or had, once. Maea wasn't sure that was true anymore.

If she'd been alone, Maea would have walked away. Not in the mood for this kind of company, not considering their last exchange. But the will-o-wisp was dancing around Amalia with brazen ignorance of her reluctance, casually invading the woman's space. So she sighed and walked over, reluctance rudely apparent in every step.

"Shii, stop that. She didn't invite you into her face..." The tone was quiet, scolding... but lacking the conviction to make her companion obey. It gleefully ignored her.
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
There is a moment when Amalia believes that Mara hasn't seen her, that they will pass by each other like ships in the night. And she's okay with that, really, because there isn't a fight in her today, and she doubts Maea is interested in interrupting her own day to bicker.

But companions do not follow human rules.

The small mote of light that zips into her face is enough to thoroughly distract Amalia. "Oh!" she greets, surprised and delighted, raising a hand for it to interact with should it so choose. "Hello." She's never seen a will-o'-the-wisp outside the Greatwood, and it's enough to distract her from her reluctance to see Maea, if only for a moment.

Dark eyes flickering between the pale figure and the vibrant light, the Shield hums a note. "It's okay, I don't mind. Jyo is around here somewhere, she'd love to meet you... Shii?" She glances up at Maea for confirmation, mind open to the little companion should it choose to communicate at all.
or maybe not
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea nodded when Amalia glance at her, confirming that it was indeed the right name. "Don't be too soft with it," she cautioned, a hand rubbing the back of her neck as she followed the dancing, weaving light with narrowed eyes. "It's a spoiled brat and will take advantage of you in a heartbeat." Indeed, the wisp had taken Amalia's open hand as an invitation to do exactly as it pleased, and inspected the woman thoroughly, from way too close a proximity to be very polite. Coming right up into her face, bobbing about all of her bundled up body until it noticed the comb in her hand, and tried to settle upon it.

And if Amalia could understand it, she would find the thoughts of the creature to be rather... childish. With the attention span of a two-year old, egoistic and erratic and currently very greedy for the shiny bauble, its thoughts circled around the interesting possibilities of darkness and snowstorms and where a lost person might end up if following a single point of light...

"Stop that, Shii," Maea scowled, more sharply this time, and received a petulant whine back through the bond.

Sighing, she pushed the shawl back from her head, and ran restless fingers through her hair. For a snowwy, bitingly cold Halo day, she was thoroughly underdressed, but seemed perfectly at ease in a simple dress and light shoes, with only the shawl for warmth. Her breath fogged in the air, but there was no bite of color on her cheeks or nose, and her bare fingers seemed not at all cold.

"How... is Jyoti?" she asked, rather tentative. Too polite to just stalk off, yet... Not sure how to keep the conversation from turning ugly right away. "And... you? I honestly.. didn't think I'd ever find you in Halo. Considering... what happened with the dragon." And perhaps that was not the right way to start.
A whisper within a sigh
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
The will-o'-the-wisp's thoughts are a jumble of juvenile ideas and chaos, but Amalia smiles nonetheless as it settles upon the comb, a flash of sadness crossing over her face. "Do you like it?" she asks, finding it easier to speak to Shii than Maea, a not uncommon situation for the girl to be in.

It is the question about Jyoti that has Amalia glancing up, her cheeks flushed from the cold despite the leopard fur that peeks out near her ears. "She's... alright." At this closer vantage she notices Maea's lack of protection from - and lack of reaction to - the winter chill, blinking a moment before shrugging it off as likely being some sort of magic. Or maybe Maea just can't feel cold.

Certainly she brings up the disaster with the dragon coolly enough, Amalia wincing visibly as pain and guilt dance over her expressive face. She turns away from Maea again, looking across the busy square, the people who have made their life in this unforgiving place. "You heard about that." Not a question: she's sure many have, though she wonders which version the other girl knows. "Jyoti likes it here. And I think my nani would have, too." Rubbing her fingers over the comb, the Shield furrows her brow. "What about you? What are you doing here?"
or maybe not
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Shii did like the comb, but mostly for the shiny gold bits. It cared not at all about her sadness, and when its in-the-face attitude did not cause dismay or enough of a reaction, it soon drifted off to investigate a pile of memory snow that had taken on an odd shape. "Jerk," Maea mumbled after it, but smiled, fond for all that it was a tiny troublemaker.

With nothing else to distract her from her childhood friend, Maea sighed and nodded, shifting the bundle in her arms to set it down. There was material for making lanterns there, several of them, but she felt it would be a while before she could leave now. There was too much to say, too many things hovering between them... And to be honest? Without the snapping and accusations, it was still nice to see Amalia. Up and about, looking relatively well.

"I'm glad to hear it," she replied, earnest in her concern for the starwhale. "I... yeah, Sunjata told me. Everything. He came to see me right after. Stumbled into the tavern covered in blood..." Lines of concern appeared on her forehead, both at the memory and as the gazed at the other woman. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that. That it all went so wrong. I... knew both of them too. Peter, and Adam..."

Clenching her jaw to bite back the pain of loss, Maea glanced around. What was she doing here, indeed. "I've enrolled at the Academy. Trying to learn how to controll my magic better." A simple reason, yet so very complicated in execution. Considering the headmistress was far from loved.
A whisper within a sigh
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Of course. Sunjata. She raises an eyebrow at the explanation that he came to her right after, a question unasked in her expression as she considers the implications. But childish teasing and inquiries about romance die as quickly as they bloom, the loss of Adam and Peter hanging heavy in the chilly air. Wrapping her right arm over her chest, the Shield simply shrugs. "Adam was my best friend." His loss still feels like a hole in her soul.

The Academy. She glances back up at Maea, a furrow to her brows. "Right. Jigano told me. Zariah's new magic school." Shaking her head, the Shield leans back, unable to control the distaste in her voice. "Is she still a megalomaniac who thinks all non-Abandoned should be outcast or killed?" Oh yes, her last interaction with the tyrant queen had been anything but pleasant.
or maybe not
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea blushed under the look Amalia gave her, and shifted. "We've.. been together for a while. Since the Midnight Gathering," she explained, though there was no question. Perhaps she just wanted the chance to say it aloud. To confirm it to herself, even though things were far from that simple.

But Amalia's quiet words took the pleasure out of thinking of her lover, and Maea bit her lip.

What could she say to that? Nothing. Maea knew that if she lifted her gaze a little, she would see the street corner where she had found Peter dunked in a snowdrift, shifted to a bat. She had carried him on her shoulder and walked the streets of the Snowcloak with him, and there, just off to the side around a corner, lay the tavern where she had last spoken to him. Promised to catch up some more later, when he wasn't busy...

There were no words for that. So she just nodded, and swallowed the pain back down.

Amalia's open dislike of Zariah was far easier to face. A common trait shared by most, and Maea couldn't say she didn't understand why.

"If she does, she has kept it under wraps so far," she said lightly. "In the meantime, she amuses herself by throwing her students unarmed before hungry Ursurs... just to keep us on our toes, you understand." Maea actually sounded amused, though the look in her eyes suggested it was only skin deep. "Don't worry, I'm not here to be her friend. I intend to learn whatever she can teach, and then I'm going back to the Loreseekers. To use it all for far better purpose than tyranny."
A whisper within a sigh
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
The festival does feel like a long time ago; strange to think that it's been less than a season, in fact. "I thought he was married to Phoebe," Amalia remarks with a frown, her already rather low opinion of Sunjata not improved by this revelation. Shaking her head, she looks back at Maea, voice softening, expression sincere. "I hope you're happy." And that you don't get hurt.

Amalia's amusement at the topic of Zariah is also betrayed by the glint in her eyes, the way her smile does nothing to ease the sharp and weary lines of her face. "Sounds delightful." As for not being her friend... The Shield shrugs, biting back the comment that rises to her tongue.

Though she cannot help a sharp huff of laughter, once again arching a pale brow. "And what purpose will that be? Zariah thought her purposes were right, that she wasn't a tyrant." She spreads her arms expressively, as if to add an and we all know how that went.
or maybe not
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Well, ouch. "It didn't last long," Maea said, her expression darknening slightly. "Apparently none of them really wanted it, at least not for the right reasons. Granted, I've mostly heard Sunjata's point of view in this, but it sounds like they were trying to prove each other wrong about a whole lot of things. In the end... he pissed Phoebe off enough that she trashed the VlamVloed and broke it off." Not a happy story, and it was plain she wasn't saying any of it with any kind of satisfaction. Sure, it had left the man open for her, but... honestly, Maea would rather have spared him the whole ordeal. Phoebe too, for that matter.

The sincerity of the well-wishing took Maea off guard. Surprise broke over her features, eyes widening slightly, but something about her stance softened, warmed a touch. "Thank you," she replied, and actually smiled. A little bashful, plenty awkward. "I am, more than I can ever remember being..." And even if that happiness was on the slide, with certain stupid decisions on Sunjata's part... it wasn't entirely lost. She still held on to hope.

As Amalia questioned her intentions for the use of her powers, Maea tilted her head. Sank down to sit on her heels beside the bench, leaning an elbow on a knee and her chin propped up by a hand. "I don't know yet. You tell me? You founded the guild, after all, along with Jigano. Imagine for a moment that you had all my magic at your disposal... what would you do with it?"

Twirling a finger lazily in the air, she made a flurry of snow lift from the ground, melting into water to take on a multitude of shapes. Little animals prancing around, stars and moons turning around a sun that had frozen to ice and glistened in the dim light; she made a flower too, a frosty rose covered in rime, and sent it floating towards Amalia with a touch of telekinesis.

Party tricks... but she'd never flaunted her abilities like this before. Never pretended to have them at all, really. Her father had been strict about that.
A whisper within a sigh
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Happier than she can remember, with Sunjata of all people... Amalia shakes her head in something close to disbelief, but doesn't voice her reservations aloud.

She tracks Maea's descent towards the ground with dark eyes, conflicted as to how they're supposed to proceed from here. It seems the Valair girl is settling in; Amalia shifts uncertainly on the bench, opening up more space for Maea to sit beside her, should she choose.

What would Amalia do with magic? Arms on her knees the girl leans forward, fingers still tracing over the gold comb. Her gaze traces curiously as frosty flowers bloom in the air and animals take shape and flight. "There's a lot of good to be gained from magic," the Shield intones softly, her alto voice sounding very much like Rishima's in that moment. "All power can be dangerous, though." Glancing away, she bites her lip. "And power can't solve everything. I forgot that... And now people are dead."

It is at this moment Jyoti returns, as though summoned by Amalia's darkening thoughts. Trilling a low and quiet note of comfort, the little whale swims on invisible tides, leaving trails of starlight behind her and settling into Amalia's arms.
or maybe not
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Amalia scooted over, making room for her on the bench, and Maea considered the quiet offer. Thought to decline it, offer to go somewhere else if they were going to talk like this, or at least... get a drink? But that wasn't something they'd done together as far as she could recall, and now was probably not the best time. So she simply offered a smile and shrug at Amalia's dubious expression, and took the offered seat. Reaching for the bag, she pulled out some of the materials she had acquired, just to keep herself busy.

There were thin strips of shaved ursur tusk, sheets of parchment from luxere hides and a glue that the vendor had sworn was cold-resistant, able to function without cracking in the coldest of temperatures. Most of the things on offer in Halo were animal based; wood was scarce and spent mostly on building and maintaining the fires, and few plants grew in the harsh climate. Meat was a staple food, and no parts of the animals ever went to waste, it seemed.

"You sound like your mother," Maea commented, with a ghost of a smile creeping across her face. She began to measure out length of the bone strips, to cut off and glue together to build a frame for the first lantern. "You're right though. I've made mistakes too, lately... No one has died, but that was not thanks to me. I hurt Sunjata when I lost control of my magic... and as soon as I learned to handle it, I grew overconfident. Nearly got us both eaten by sharks. Got bitten quite badly because of it." She tapped her right thigh with a finger, indicating where a fresh, red scar was located.

"Still. Not trying to learn how to use the power you have is setting yourself up for trouble, I found. If I had tried harder to learn about myself and my abilities growing up... my family might not be dead." Reaching for a jug of the supposedly wonderful glue, Maea perched it on a thigh, trying to juggle all the pieces at once with her hands. She could use magic to help herself... but there were some things that felt better doing by hand.

"I asked Ludo once, if there was a way for the Abandoned to attone, for what happened in the past. The answer I got was to 'use my magic modestly, under the eyes of the Old Gods.' So... I suppose that is what I want to do."

Nibbling her lower lip, she glanced sideways at Amalia, to see how she took this line of thinking. Ludo had said to use her magic... not suppress it, or let it wither and die. Maea had taken that to mean understand it, embrace it, and do the best she could not to depend on it for everything.
A whisper within a sigh
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the shield of safrin
She chuckles at the comparison to her mother, certainly not a phrase she ever expected to hear. Curious eyes watch as Maea takes out bits of skin and bone from her pack, finding it easy to look at the tusk and hide than the girl who holds them. At least Amalia doesn't have magic to keep a handle on, but Gods know she has made her own share of rash decisions in her overconfidence. "I thought that I could save a tulmhainar. Instead it died, and Deimos nearly died, and Safrin got the Blight." Her voice is drier than the words deserve given the severity of the charges, but Amalia cannot help it. She mourned and regretted for so long.

The comment about Maea's family hits terribly close to home. "I saw them, you know" the Shield murmurs softly, not looking at the shorter girl. "After LongNight Jigano and I helped collect souls for Ludo. I recognized your family among them." As well as the Palmers, that year having been particularly merciless. Tilting her head up to look at Maea, she searches her face for a reaction. "So at least they're with Mort."

She looks away again, another mirthless smile rising to her lips. "Ludo also convinced Roana to try and commit genocide against the Ascended," she points out, but there's not bite or malice to the words. Running her fingers over Jyoti's back, Amalia hums a thoughtful note. "Ever since the Outlanders arrived... The world's much less black and white than when we were kids. I wonder what our parents would think. If they'd still disapprove of who we are." Rishima had never wanted her daughter to become Attuned, after all.
or maybe not