(SE) eyes covered with ink and bleach
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
SUNJATA
The humor he receives from the other attuned has him smirking back slightly, a light chuckle leaving him as he goes to lean forward along the bar again – bracing both arms along the top of the bar. “Always time to learn and perfect it.” He offers, smirk heading toward a playful grin. But it shifts once he explains the timeline, forgetting for mere moments that Rance is new and likely doesn’t know the seasons.

So the question has him nodding in response, a deep chuckle leaving his throat to that. “Seasons, yeah. There’s four of them. Flowerbirth, Longheat, Leafchange, and Deepfrost.” He hums thoughtfully. “No names for months, here. They go by seasons.” An impartial shrug to that as he goes to lift the cigarette to his lips and draw from it, turning his head toward the bar entrance, watching a few more people filter in and get taken care of.

I had some help along the way. But it’s mostly mine.” At least… It was now, with Melita off on her own adventures, Loren up in Halo, and Lusea dead and gone. “The Grounds can be a bit depressing at times, most people turn here for some relief from it all.” A shrug as he lifts his stormy gaze back toward Rance.
i'll never be that me again
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Age: 33 | Height: 6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Mercedes Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Perfect his bargaining skills, and his lying. He’s used to hiding parts of himself, it’s literally in the name of what he had been. He’s fully aware of just how honest he tends to be when talking about certain things and no one ever accused him of being humble. Now that he’s in completely unfamiliar territory, holding his tongue when it matters is going to be important.

It was interesting to note that, wherever Sunjata came from originally, he was used to a more complex calendar as well. Still, Rance is going to have to set aside that as well. He shakes his head, expression a little bemused. At least shifting calendars wasn’t going to be nearly as frustrating as changing other parts of his world view.

Rance nods his head, expression impressed as he does so in response to Sunjata’s admission. He then meets that gaze, bright blue curious instead of challenging. His grin loses some of its edge, going crooked. “Depressin’ in what way? Somethin’ to do with that great scar I walked past, even though it’s gone?” His expression sobers further, still too curious to be apologetic, but he isn’t trying to insult Sunjata by making light of what he gathers was something terrible. “Is there more than drunk and rowdy patrons to worry about?”
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SUNJATA
You’ve a good eye.” Sunjata rumbles with a quieter chuckle to that, shrugging lightly in agreement as he tries to keep from moving his side too much. A long draw from the cigarette is granted, the taste of ash on his tongue as he exhales, head tilting slightly before he nods to the follow up question. “The scar was mostly what kept things in, from what I know.” He offers with a small conspirators smirk crossing his face.

In Deepfrost, there’s a time called LongNight. There’s no sun for at least two weeks, pure darkness. And with it, here in the Grounds at least, monsters roam.” He leans back a small amount, steel gaze focusing on Rance and the seriousness of the conversation. “It’s pretty shit if you ask me, I’ve only been through one of them.” Honestly, that was enough for him.
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Age: 33 | Height: 6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He doesn’t quite get the reason behind the smirk, though he guesses that it has something to do with the barrier and information he doesn’t have about it. He tilts his head again as he listens to Sunjata’s tale of darkness past and yet to come. He taps his fingers in a rolling pattern on the glass in his hand. “Well, fuck. And here I was thinkin’ the Grounds couldn’t be nearly as bad as a forest that wants to drop me off a cliff.” His mouth pulls into a grimace. “From what you’re sayin’, though, if that barrier was holdin’ things in, doesn’t that mean the monsters have a way out, too?” There’s no humor in his voice when he says it, nor when he asks, “Was preparing for that part of buildin’ this place?”
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
A quiet chuckle leaves him at Rance’s initial comment, shrugging lightly as he goes to pour a glass of water for himself and the other attuned. “It gets much worse.” He offers easily, making no point to make it seem better than it is. Life here was hard, brutal, intense. But it was also beautiful.

The barrier was mostly meant to keep the Voice within. The monsters of LongNight I think only remain here. The Voice, though? She’s freed.” At least, that’s as far as he’d learned about it. The mention of building this place though has him shaking his head to it. This wasn’t a place that would keep the Grounders safe. He wasn’t even sure where the best place for that would be other than maybe getting out of the Grounds for surrounding areas. “No, last year we stayed in the Temple. Half of the Grounds stayed in the Monster Hunter’s Guild as well, though that burned down.” A shrug, lifting the glass to his lips.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
Rance accepts the water, trading one glass for another. Sunjata’s amusement is the sort Rance is used to seeing from farmers who have been through too many tough winters, or the tradesfolk who travel through fae territory instead of around it. This man has been fucked over enough times that finding dark humor in those situations is just a part of living with them. It wasn’t so much that they were unphased by it, but that they knew enough to at least know how to deal with what might come at them.

Unsurprisingly, this makes Rance even more impressed with him. He always was turned on by competence.

“Should I be glad that this ‘Voice’ escaped?” He doesn’t have enough information to judge on his own, though Sunjata’s wording is ominous. “Also, sounds like everyone’ll be out of here come next season, if they know what’s good for them. Will I still have a job?” With this, Rance’s own crooked smile returns, though it’s with the knowledge that, since coin wasn’t necessarily needed to survive, the favor Sunjata was doing him by somehow letting him ‘keep’ their bargain was providing a point of stability. As small as it was, if they were all going to have to run for the hills as soon as the weather got cold.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
There’s a quiet hum that slips from Sunjata’s throat, a small shrug to that. Pros and cons of a world he’d arrived in soon after it had started to change – arriving after the barrier had fallen but still with the pick me ups needed for rebounding from those mistakes. “Means that you’re no longer stuck in a bubble and that the more the Ascended explore, the more of Caido is open.” Perhaps more for the taking, though Sunjata doesn’t quite admit to that yet.

Instead, he snorts lightly at the next comment with a shake of his head. “The Grounders, you’ll find, are stubborn. This is the first year anyone can leave. It’ll be interesting to see who does.” There’s a thoughtful tilt of his head to that. “I’m heading to Torchline as soon as I can, so. I’m getting out of this place before the snow hits.” A bit louder of a chuckle to that – but the bar would always be a necessity. And if nobody was in it, it shouldn’t be too difficult to fix up when the week of darkness is over.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
“Gotta say, I am glad I missed the whole not bein’ ‘stuck in a bubble’ part.” The idea of being trapped like that, after being free the fly wherever he wanted for most of his life, was the opposite of appealing.

Ah, the stubbornness of townsfolk — or, really, anyone who set down permanent roots — he understands. Even if it meant safety, leaving their homes behind to monsters, looters, and the dangers of winter itself would be enough to keep plenty close to home. Rance’s parents, even when they’d built a nest — a home — to raise their children in would have abandoned it immediately if they thought danger was that close. No plot of land was worth lives. So the easy grin stays on Rance’s lips as he nods in agreement of Sunjata’s plan. “Gods, the more I hear, the more I think that’s the right idea. What’s in Torchline?”
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
There’s a nod of his head to that, a hum of agreement that slips from his throat as a crooked smile crosses Sunjata’s face toward Rance. “Me too.” He hadn’t had to deal with it, just the fallout and the vacuum it had created. It had given him time to get used to the world with everyone else suddenly learning how to deal with it all as well. It made it easier at the end of the day.

But when he speaks on LongNight and what his personal plans were for the foreseeable future (part of a new government of Torchline as well, perhaps?) he can’t help but to let his lips curl into a smirk at what Torchline was like. “The ocean. Warmth, heat, sun. A bit of lawlessness that can be amusing to watch. Lots of fish.” The answers were honest, somewhat entertaining, but still a part of it none the less.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
He isn’t sure what to expect when he asks about Torchline and the answer he gets pulls a laugh from him. “I think I might have been there, or somewhere near there. Called out by a damned, giant, flightless chicken, of all things. Some magical beast I’ve never seen the like of.” He shook his head, remembering stumbling through a portal onto sand, surrounded by other people trying desperately to help it fly. “Definitely noted the heat, sun, and ocean. I don’t think I landed in the right area for lawlessness, though.” There’s still laughter in his eyes as he took a drink from his glass. No, he wouldn’t have called that excursion ‘lawless’. More like ‘absolute fucking chaos’.

A thought occurs to him that has one brow arching high. “That doesn’t happen to often, does it? Fuckin’ creatures of the fae wilds forcin’ you to help them?”
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
Rance’s description of something he’d encountered causes Sunjata to snort to it, shaking his head a small amount. It doesn’t sound familiar, though he’d heard of something similar on the winds of Torchline as of late. Not like he’s been paying too much attention to it, really, not when the wound to his side was so fresh and he was far more focused on that. “If you saw an ocean, it was certainly Torchline.” He concludes easily, shrugging to it.

It was the only place with one, after all.

The question he receives instead has Sunjata’s shoulders carefully rising and falling in a shrug, though. “Not all the time. A few seasons perhaps. Sometimes we have to kill them.” He recalls the mud monster of Fiat Lux, when he’d nearly died by getting trapped within it.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
“Can’t say all that sand is real great in the feathers, but the heat was certainly nice. I didn’t exactly come equipped for snow.” It had been summer when he’d drunkenly fallen through the portal. He hasn’t even been thinking about what he’ll have to do come cold weather, not until this conversation at least.

Shit, he was going to have to go shopping.

The answer about local magical fauna doesn’t much change Rance’s dubious expression, especially when Sunjata mentions having to kill them. Rance doesn’t slump, but there’s definitely something a bit more tired in his expression. “Right. Kill them.” He sets down his glass of water and picks up the empty glass he’s been toying with before, tipping it towards Sunjata. “How much for another shot?”
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
Sunjata chuckles brightly to Rance’s admission, a swift nod granted to the other attuned. “My old world didn’t even have snow.” He offers with some amount of amusement. “First time I saw it, I immediately regretted wanting to know what it was.” A shake of his head to that, smile faltering ever so slightly – because he’d been blighted then, and some of those memories were a bit hazy after all.

So the talk of LongNight is a bit easier of a pill to swallow, a small nod granted as Rance repeats what Sunjata’d said. The flood has no regrets about the mud monster’s demise – likely due to the fact it had nearly suffocated him to death, swept up in it. It had also barraged down on a nice festival that had ended up killing far too many.

In response to the question of another shot, Sunjata shifts a small amount in his seat, pulling out a different type of alcohol, pouring it into his glass and sliding it back over before putting the bottle away. “On the house.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
Rance and Sunjata talked for a little while longer, finishing their drinks and solidifying what Rance would be doing while working at the tavern. Plans were made to show Rance how the inventory was done and any other training on the morrow. Eventually, conversation waned and Rance’s travels began to catch up to him. He was pointed up to his room where he slept in a bed for the first time in well over a week. And what an absolutely insane week it had been. Falling drunk through a portal, getting lost in an actively hostile forest, accidentally roped into a hunt and discovering that the animal shifters of Caido were nothing like those he was used to. For that matter, neither was he, though he had yet to discover how different he’d become.

Maybe the morning would be full of a few less surprises.

~Fin~