another one bites the dust
Loren!
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1917
Maea
And time it waits for no one
It heals them when you die
What was it with men and picking her up to be carried? Emmett had done it once, to bring her to the infirmary after her lungs got ruined in the Spire. Sunjata had done it almost the first time they met, and said he didn't particularly wanted to let go again. Then later by the house, laughing playfully as he carried her towards a beautiful dream. Now Loren did it too. Maea ought to be peeved. Annoyed, insulted; she was not a child, was perfectly able to walk on her own!

Yet... she couldn't bring herself to do anything. To really care, or feel beyond a vague sense of gratitude. She was so very tired... When Loren put her down on the cot  she turned over on her side and curled up, a hand reaching for his, to take it. Hold on, like the healer had become the only steady thing in a room that spun violently. A small warm body  - Astra - settled in behind her back, and Shii had dimmed its light to a soothing, dull blue that did not offer much illumination.

"Thank you," Maea murmured softly, quietly. "Did you... spike that tea?" Was she drugged into this weariness, or was it just her? She didn't sound very accusatory, just vaguely, dimly curious.
And soon you are forgotten
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
there's light at the edge of the darkness
As Maea took Loren's hand, he gave her a surprised look. However, he didn't pull away, just gave her a gentle squeeze. Smiling faintly at her question, he shook his head, then reached down to pull the sheet over her. "You're welcome. And no, I did not. It was just chamomile" He ran his free hand through his hair. "I'm not the biggest fan of mind-altering substances." The admission came out in a slightly embarrassed tone.

He sent a flick of water to put out the candle. Then he shifted so his back was propped up against the wall, still holding his hand. "Now go to sleep." It came out softly.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
A thing to be grateful for, that aversion. She squeezed his hand to show she heard, that she appreciated it.

Loren settled in beside her, and she shifted to make room for him. Was he planning to stay the whole night? Or just until she was properly asleep? Either way, Maea was glad for the company. The blanket he put over her offered warmth where her thin shawl only kept the cold out, as did Astra's body, and Loren's presence.

"Mmh, I'll try," she sighed.

It didn't take long before she was gone to the world. Her hand slackening around Loren's, but not quite letting go. But the girl only slept quietly for a while, before she began to stir .restlessly tossing her head back and forth, eyes moving in agitation beneath the eyelids. The troubled expression on her face suggested the dresm was far from pleasant.
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Loren took much longer to fall asleep. Although he had his own nightmares, he was quiet, only the occasional twitch and groan escaping his lips. However, he was a light sleeper, so when Maea tossed and turned, he woke. Turning to stare down at her, he frowned.

Then he began to hum a lullaby quietly, the sound hopefully soothing. As he did, he reached over with his free hand to push the hair from her forehead. Then he slid his pinkie down her forehead and began to sing softly.

Lavender blue dilly-dilly
Lavender green
If I were king dilly-dilly, I'd need a queen.

His voice was quiet, an untrained but pleasant and assured tenor. Hopefully the combination of the lullaby and the gentle movements would lull her back to sleep.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea's dreams were full of darkness. Of shadows crawling, of winding stairs leading down into the underground, of walls closing in and air stealing from her breath. It was a lonely, awful place where people walked away from her, and when she tried to reach for their turned backs, they disappeared.

Somehow though, from somewhere, a melody reached her. Simple and soothing, it made the dark feel less terrifying. Less suffocating. And when she reached for the next disappearing back... her fingers caught on to it. They didn't go away.

Gradually, Maea's fretting subsided. She didn't wake from the song or the gentle touch, but something in her expression eased. Smoothed away the fear, and evened out her breaths. Turning in her sleep, she inched closer, subconsciously reaching and arm for this source of comfort... and she settled, with a soft sigh.
A whisper within a sigh
the Firebrand

Change author:
As Maea reached for Loren, settled against him, Loren tensed almost imperceptibly. However, he continued his soft singing and his gentle stroking of her forehead. Only when she seemed relaxed enough to sleep without dreaming did he stop. Astra snuggled closer to the sleeping Loreseeker as well, though the luxere was asleep.

The healer shifted the pale woman's form just slightly, holding his breath as he did in the hopes that he wouldn't wake her. Only then did he lean back against the wall once more. Closing his own eyes, he took deep breaths, in through his nose and out through his mouth. His own sleep was less than restful, nightmares descending upon him almost as quickly as sleep did.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea wasn't easily woken, and Loren could shift her aside easily enough without troubling her sleep. Once settled, surrounded by warmth and the beating hearts of others, the rest of her night passed uneventfully.

It was early when sleep relinquished her again. Well used to rising before dawn, this time was no exception and Maea breathed in deep as awareness returned. Feeling unusually rested. For a moment, she was fooled by the presence of others so close by. Thought it was Sunjata and Haai, the only others who had ever joined her in a bed... and when she grew conscious enough to realize it was not, she grew intensely awake quite suddenly. Stared around the lines of the ceiling, bleary eyed, until she recalled the events of the previous evening...

Slowly, almost reluctantly, Maea turned her head, to look at the person reclining beside her.
A whisper within a sigh
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren didn't sleep well, but he never did. Nights were always tough for him, unless he was blacked out from alcohol or had taken something. Since he was cutting back on the alcohol and avoided drugs, he was restless. Awakening before the dawn, he realized Maea was awake as well.

Smiling blearily down at her, he gently extracted himself from her and the cot. "Morning." It came out softly and he yawned as he tried to tame his unruly hair. "How'd you sleep?" Padding to the corner, he grabbed another kettle filled it with hot water and an invigorating tea, pouring two cups of it.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
It was strange, seeing someone else's face, and hearing someone else's voice say those words. Maea felt very odd as she slowly sat up, rubbing her swollen, salt-crusted eyes. "Morning," she returned, very quiet. Sounding a bit hoarse. Groggy, almost. "I think... fine? Didn't.. wake, at least." Like she usually did, when Sunjata wasn't there. So far, he had been the only one to quell her nightmares, make them retreat.

Perhaps she had just been that tired...

"You?" Maea watched him as he moved about the room. There was a lump in her throat that wouldn't be swallowed down. Something like gratitude and guilt and... and other things she couldn't quite put a name to.
A whisper within a sigh
the Firebrand

Change author:
Nodding at her words, Loren waved a hand at the washbasin near her cot. It filled with water. Putting the cups of tea on a tray, he brought it over to her, lifting a cloth with his telekinesis as he walked. He dipped the cloth in the water and held it out for her even as he set the tea down on the night table next to her cot.

"That's good." Picking up a cup, he curled his fingers around it and sipped gingerly at it. His eyebrows rose at her question. "Me?" Shrugging, he lowered the cup. "As well as I ever do." Which was not very, but she didn't need to know that (though the dark circles under his eyes might betray him."

Biting his lip, he gave her a tentative look. "How're you feeling?" It came out softly.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea wasn't in the mood to question him. Never really a morning person despite waking early, she was quiet and rather demure, the way she clipped her eyes at the world indicating she could easily fall back asleep, if given half the chance. Alas, her work ethics were far too strict for that. Before dawn, she would no doubt be back on the Academy rooftop, training or running, or perhaps meditating barefoot in the cold, as you do.

"That's something, at least," she just replied, and accepted the washcloth. Used it to wipe her eyes, and dampen her face; it was cool and refreshing, making her feel more awake. This time, she accepted the cup Loren offered without any fuss,

"Like I'm a piece of jerky hung out to dry," she admitted wearily. "Achy, raw, numb... but maybe a little clearer in the head. Maybe." Though it was difficult to say how long that would last. Being a consummate overthinker, Maea often painted herself into the same corners over and over again.
A whisper within a sigh
the Firebrand

Change author:
As Maea took the cloth, Loren released it. Moving to sit in the chair by her cot, he nodded, and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. "I'll take something." Sipping the tea, he set the cup down on the train so he could cover another yawn.

"Mmmm." It was a hum of tired acknowledgment. "Well, I can heal the physical wounds." But not the mental or emotional ones hung unspoken in the air between them.

Smiling faintly, he nodded again in acknowledgment of her statement. "Maybe a little better is all we can hope for." Glancing at the door as the sounds of the Palace waking up started to echo through the hallway, his brow furrowed slightly. "I can send down to the kitchens for some breakfast, if you'd like."
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
So tired and sleep-deprived, yet already he was taking care of her. Making tea, offering washcloths and healing, suggesting breakfast. It seemed Loren had really found his true calling here, in this work as a healer, and Maea felt unusually grateful at having him for a friend. Not that she wasn't always, but... there was something about being so cared for that doubled her appreciation. It was rare... but not unpleasant.

"Thank you, but I should probably eat with the others after training," she said. "I'd rather not draw too much attention to having stayed the night here. I've had quite enough of the 'sick person' treatment in my days..." Not to mention, they were supposed to keep their friendship under wraps. In case Zariah grew nefarious and started poking around.

That said, Maea still raised her teacup to blow on the drink, taking a careful sip. In no real hurry to leave just yet.

"What are your thoughts, on this mess Sunjata and I made for ourselves?" she asked. Finally able to consider it more objectively, it seemed... though it was a heavy subject to drag up before breakfast.
A whisper within a sigh
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren nodded and gave Maea an understanding smile. "Alright." Then he rubbed the back of his head sheepishly, and glanced away, cheeks coloring slightly. "I know you just said you didn't want to risk the sick person treatment, but you're welcome to stay here as many nights as you'd like." His voice came out awkwardly. Much more quietly, he added, "Gods know I do." It was meant more for himself than for her.

A horned head poked over Maea's shoulder as Astra finally rose from her own slumber. She bleated, and the healer stood up and opened the door to the infirmary. She trotted out, though not before giving his side an affectionate rub. He patted her, then closed the door softly behind her.

Returning to his seat by the Loreseeker, he took a sip of tea. "She's just going to the bathroom." It came out slightly embarrassed, and he grinned weakly.

At her question, though, his grin slipped away. "I think," he rubbed one hand on his thigh as he paused, "that you two need to have a serious conversation where neither of you get mad." He gave her an apologetic look, not having more advice for her than that.
loren

Coding base by Sky!