The Raven's Tale [SE]
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
"It's said that it's a realm where they can be happy, so... one can hope," Jigano agreed with a wry, pained smile. "But even if they no longer hold blame or anger that doesn't mean I can't carry my own weight in guilt for words left unsaid, or actions regretted." That damn door and its magical peephole that hadn't worked anyways.

He hadn't meant to stifle the other man's curiosity, and gave Rance an apologetic smile as the other man gamely answered the bard's question. "Spoken like a true bard," he chuckled with a wink to show he meant it in good-humor. "Or Loreseeker, for that matter. Though there's nothing to stop you from collecting books here. You could probably claim a room in the Atheneum and dedicate it to your own collection." Jigano grinned and shook his head. "Or you could choose a dwelling in the Domiciles. After the help you've given my Guild with our rooms I'd be happy to repay it by lending a hand to fixing a place up for you. Even if you don't live there all the time, it might be nice to have a place to store things for when you're around." He was getting the sense that this wandering raven wasn't one to put down roots lightly... but then, neither had he been for most of his first year.

"Now, were you going to ask something before I interrupted?" he invited, the apology back in his tone.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Age: 33 | Height: 6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Mercedes Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
"And isn't that the fuckin' truth." Rance might not have blamed himself for Morgana's accident, but he knew well enough that forgiving oneself and being forgiven were two entirely different things.

He didn't know much about being a bard, but he'd idolized more than one in his youth and took the compliment for what it was, flashing a grin. Not to mention being compared to a Loreseeker again. The more he heard about Jigano's guild, the more he felt the kinship with it. "Gotta say, your offers are gettin' more temptin' by the minute." He'd been worrying where he would keep his journals. Or if he could ever allow himself to have more than a couple, as he had while on the road at home. To have a place to store and accumulate them, to have people who understood who didn't just see him as a nosy bastard....

Jigano's follow-up brought Rance's momentarily drifting thoughts back to earth. "Ah, yeah. You said 'your' feathers? Do you mean the ones off Isuma?" He gestured with a hand up to the gryphon, only now seeing the spatters of paint on the back. How had he managed that?
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Somehow he wasn't surprised that this well-traveled and blunt-speaking man understood the dangers of regret and guilt and how they could weigh a soul down, but Rance had reminded him of something he had known deep down, too: that the souls that had passed on in Ludo's care to Mort's halls were beyond pain and anger now. Sometimes his guilt clouded his mind and made it hard to remember that, and the small smile he flashed the raven was genuinely grateful.

"I was afraid I've been pushing a bit too hard," he admitted as talk turned to wandering scholars and Loreseekers alike, but his grin was wry and only a little apologetic. "But we could use a man with your inclinations and talents." Both someone too curious for his own good, and someone who knew his way around a hammer and nails. It was an excellent combination to have for Loreseekers, Jigano had discovered to his chagrin when he'd learned more of carpentry since coming to Caido than he'd known in his entire life before.

The question that came had the bard tilting his head in momentary surprise, then chuckling as Isuma abandoned his shoulder to perch on the chandelier with its reflecting crystals were candles might once have been. "Ah, sorry. You saw so many of my other shifts when were hunting I didn't realize that the one you didn't see was the one closest to your own. My second shift on this world was that of a raven, like yourself but..." he gestured at his white hair. "The one thing that seems to hold true across all my forms," he admitted cheerfully.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Age: 33 | Height: 6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Even knowing that the compliments were likely just intended as statements of fact in the wake of their conversation, Rance still felt a little spike of pride. His literacy had been useful more than once and he'd been paid for those skills before, but it had always been seen as lesser to his ability to efficiently nail a board in place. And while Jigano probably had uses for that as well, the fact that he was inviting Rance based on his passions first was flattering in a way he'd never quite encountered before. Something to turn over in the back of his mind as he asked about feathers.

The answer surprised him all over again, making his heart skip a beat, not hiding the reaction from his face. Another raven. But... not. Because Jigano was like him in the sense that he'd been a fox before anything else, no matter what shapes magic had given him later. So, surprise faded almost as quickly as it came, replaced by the crooked smile. "A white raven has to be a sight to see, though."

He turned to face Jigano fully, holding out his hand. "You already had me with the offer of a place to store any books I accumulate, but how can I turn down another raven?" There was humor in the narrowing of his eyes and the widening of his smile. The idea had been settling into place over the course of their conversation and voicing his thoughts seemed only natural. "You have yourself another Loreseeker, sir fox."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He should have expected the surprise, and he looked a little sheepish at how clearly moved Rance was by the revelation. He raised his arm a little self-consciously, pulling his sleeve back to show honey-hued skin that rippled a moment later as white raven's feathers sprouted from wrist to elbow then subsided again. "Let me know if you want to go flying or hunting together again sometime, and I'd be glad to show you," he offered warmly.

That was before the other man graciously accepted his coaxing offer, and the bard positively beamed as he reached out to clasp the true raven's hand firmly, sealing the deal. "And glad I am of it! You have your pick of the remaining rooms you helped clean, of course, if you want one. And the assistance of myself and no doubt several other of your new guildmates if and when you want to fix up a larger residence in town. But until then..." He retrieved his hand to reach into one of the pockets sewn into his capacious sleeves. It was just a little piece of showmanship for his magic was strong and true enough still to create the pin that matched the one on his own tunic. He handed it over proudly. "Welcome to the Loreseekers, sir raven. I look forward to working with you."
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
If Jigano hadn't shown off his ears before, the feathers along his arm would have been an unpleasant shock for Rance. Instead, he managed to keep the seemingly never-ending shock at bay and let the thought of flying with another raven warm him. Even if they weren't the same type, it was still something that felt even more thoughtful than the aid in making a lantern.

The genuine joy that came over the Provost's expression brightened and solidified Rance's certainty in his decision. Even if being a part of a guild turned out to not be for him, he didn't regret accepting the invitation in the slightest. He watched the pin swirl into existence in Jigano's hand, fascination and questions sparking up to the top of his thoughts. Which was only perfect for a Loreseeker, right?

While conversation continued, stories and legends traded, Rance finished his lantern and, without thinking about it, began to feel as if Caido might become home after all.

~fin~