never to meet again
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
OLIVER
Within the eye, mysteries of the soul burn deeply beneath the fiery chasms of love
and patiently wait for an awakening

With a coat draped over his arm, Oliver had set out to make a final visit to Halo- to see a particular person for what could be the final time. It was a hard thing to really think about and Oliver tried his best to not dwell on it too much, but it felt right to do this... to take the final step to speak with Loren for what could be the last time of his life.

After his visit with Safrin, Oliver had been delegated to stay in the Hollowed Ground- to live through LongNight a second time and make sure that nobody went outside. To say Oliver was happy or excited was an overstatement. He was terrified and extremely nervous, but to defy his goddess? That would be far worse. Far, far worse... he owed her and made a promise, thus he had to keep it and fulfill her request no matter how scared he was.

Making it to the spire, Oliver stared forward, not yet ready to step through the portal for potentially the last time- it wasn't something he wanted to think about, but he had to say a goodbye to the man who had made his life what it was. As well, he had something for him. There was a small wooden box in his left hand, ready to deliver it to the hybrid man... hopefully, it would never have to be opened.

Loren
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Seeing as Loren would be in Halo for all of Deepfrost, he was running quite a few errands in the Hollowed Ground, picking up needed supplies for the cold season. Today was no exception: he stepped through the portal with Astra. Both of them trotted up the steps and emerged into the open air.

Where he almost collided with Oliver. "Oh hey, sorry." Managing to come to stop just in time, the healer grinned a bit sheepishly at the other man. "Were you headed through the portal?" The luxere trotted up to Oliver, staring up at him with pitiful eyes that practically begged for a head scratch. Snorting the Launceleyn just shook his head at the sight.
light is precious in a world so dark
begin at the beginning
tell a story. make some light
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
OLIVER
Within the eye, mysteries of the soul burn deeply beneath the fiery chasms of love

When the at first unknown figure stepped out of the portal, Oliver jumped back, but the moment he heard Loren's voice his body relaxed. While he was still a bit shaken up, he was mostly fine. Reaching down with his free hand, Oliver started to stroke and pet the Luxere, a small smile forming on his face. He wasn't as happy as usual and at this point, was trying his best to make Astra as happy as possible.

With his hand occupied, Oliver turned to look back at Loren. The smile quickly faded and all he could do was start speaking. "Actually, I was coming to look for you." There was a short pause before he continued on. "Do you have a minute? I just need to talk with you for a second." All of Oliver's body urged him to drop everything and pull Loren into a hug.... but Oliver knew better than that. Loren was far from someone who wanted that kind of contact and thus, it was probably never going to happen. The final bit of contact Oliver desired wasn't meant to be and them nearly running into each other was the closest he'd ever get to a hug.

the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Always a lover of scritches, Astra bleated happily under Oliver's ministration. Loren let out a huff of laughter at the predictable response. However, his bemused expression grew curious as his fellow hybrid began to speak. "Of course. What's up?" There was something a bit too serious about the other man's expression. Frowning, the healer sent a pulse of gentle concern to Oliver.

As the Launceleyn waited for the response, he set his half-empty bag down. Kneeling, he began to rub and scratch Astra affectionately as well. She grew content and placid under his hands, and he could feel her happiness at his presence and his attention echoing through the link.
begin at the beginning
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER

Watching as Loren bent down to pet his companion, Oliver sucked in a breath. Fuck was this hard. It was so serious too- and the man seemed so happy, as did Astra. "I wanted to give you something... and to say goodbye." Wow, way to be dramatic Oliver.

Instead of really waiting for too long, Oliver continued to speak. He knew that he would need to get it out quickly as waiting too long would only make him cry or some stupid emotional shit like that. Rip it off and it'll be done. "I don't know what I'm doing yet for LongNight... but part of me still thinks I have to guard. I have to stay here... but I don't think I'm going to make it. I keep having these ideas and nightmares and I guess... I just wanted to give you a proper goodbye, just in case this is the last time I ever see you." And to, of course, give Loren the box.

the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Raising his eyebrows, Loren's concern just grew. "I'm only going to be gone for a season." His voice was gentle, and he gave Oliver a reassuring smile.

However, as the other hybrid went on, the healer's expression became understanding. Reaching out, he placed his hand on the other man's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. "You can come to Halo. Or go to Torchline. There's absolutely no need for you to stay in the Hollowed Ground."

Taking a deep breath, he let his hand fall. "So this is not goodbye." His tone was certain and firm about that. "This is just see you later, you hear me?" Bleating her agreement, Astra trotted forward to rub against the other man's legs.
begin at the beginning
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER

It may seem like a short time to Loren, but a season was long. It was so long to be apart and Oliver wasn't sure if he'd even be able to maintain any kind of communication with his friend. Already it felt incredibly strained now that Loren had moved to Halo, but being literally unable to see his friend for an entire season felt like too much. Oliver knew Loren was strong... but bad things always came from nowhere and it could easily get either or both of them.

The hand against his shoulder only helped somewhat, grounding Oliver and giving him the closest thing to a hug he'd probably get out of Loren. "I cant go to Halo- I cant just leave everyone here. Already I'm doing a horrible thing by considering to not stay around and help during LongNight... I have to stay here for as long as I can to help prepare." It wasn't an attack against Loren, far from it, it was an attack against himself. He had a duty to fulfill and it meant that he would have to stay here, rather than joining his friend in Halo.

His words struck Oliver in the heart and he shook his head, biting down on his lip and hoping that Loren couldn't see the pain on his face, the worry and fear in his eyes. "And... what if it is? I have to make sure that I say something to you... I don't want to lose you, Loren." And I don't want to die. It went unsaid that Oliver feared death, feared dying alone without those he felt closest to. Already, it seemed that his life was shifting. Losing friends he felt safe around and instead becoming a protector himself with no one to save him. "Please just- take this box. If I die... open it, otherwise leave it shut." He held out the box with one hand, the other reaching down to give Astra a light rub on her head, seeking the comfort of someone.

the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Smiling sympathetically, Loren squeezed Oliver's shoulder. "You're not doing a horrible thing by considering leaving during LongNight." The healer let out a huff of laughter. "If more people thought as you did, there wouldn't be any casualties at all." Shaking his head sadly, he sighed.

"Alright. Stay to help, then go to Torchline. Or even the Greatwood. No one will think any less of you. Quite the opposite I'd imagine." He was quite certain on that point.

Reaching out, he curled his fingers around his fellow hybrid's hand, hiding the box in the other man's grip once more. "Give me the box when I see you next, how about that?" Astra had already pressed herself against Oliver, but the Launceleyn pulled the other man in for a gentle hug.
begin at the beginning
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER

While Loren could try to find some sort of humor in the situation, it was impossible for Oliver to feel the same. "And yet... people will continue to go outside... and this year, all we have is the Temple.. meaning if we lose the Temple... fuck." His eyes grew worried and he shifted them away, looking down at Astra once more. "I... I'm stronger than I was before, Loren.. I told Ronin I'd stay." To betray someone he had just met sounded just awful.

The man's words were nice, but Oliver couldn't shake the guilt away. And then, rather than accepting the box like Oliver wanted, Loren instead seemingly tried to hide it. It wasn't what Oliver wanted. Someone needed to take the box and Loren was the person who seemingly cared the most about him.

Arms pulled him close and Oliver found himself wrapping his own arms around Loren's torso. Closing his eyes, he rested his head against Loren's shoulder. There was a hushed silence for a few seconds- Oliver wasn't sure how much time had passed but eventually he felt awkward, like he had to say something. No words really seemed to be fitting for how he felt about Loren nor what he wanted to say. 'Love' was too strong... but everything else felt awkward. "We.... we will see each other again, when this ends... right? When LongNight is over we can meet up?" It wasn't like he didn't know it was possible, it was a request. Oliver wanted to hear confirmation that he and Loren would see each other again soon.

the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Meeting Oliver's gaze squarely, Loren projected as much confidence, reassurance, and comfort as he could to his fellow hybrid. "Don't worry. The Temple is huge. I'm certain you can block off specific areas if necessary." The healer's expression grew thoughtful. "In fact, you might want to do that. Put all those who plan to venture out for one reason or another in one half of the Temple, and secure everyone else in the other."

At the mention of Ronin, though, the Launceleyn shrugged. "So what? Fuck Ronin, and whoever else might judge you for doing what is best for you." Shaking his head, he snorted. "After all, he abandoned all his responsibilities to the Hollowed Ground, so it'd be hypocritical of him to think less of you for skipping out on LongNight, of all things." He waved away the concern like it was nothing, since, to him, it was nothing.

Hugging the other man tight, Loren smiled. "We will. I'm sure of it." There wasn't a hint of doubt in his voice or his mind, which was fully open to Oliver. Astra joined them, wriggling between their legs to provide support to both of them.
begin at the beginning
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER

Loren's idea was plausible, absolutely, but also still hard. "I'm afraid those who plan to go out wont warn us... also, how do we know that the monsters cant travel through portals? What if the portals are bad, Loren? What if... what if this year, the monsters will be able to go everywhere and not just here in the Grounds?" His voice became worrisome as his thoughts manifested, transforming as he spoke. They morphed from fear into outright terror almost, picturing itself as mass destruction.

The tone taken by Loren was harsh and sudden. "I... I mean, I guess? I just... I don't want Safrin to hate me." Safrin had given him so much and to lose her simply because he was so selfish and narcissistic? It'd break his heart, absolutely. Ronin was so close to Safrin and Safrin had given him his task and new shift, so surely she'd find out if Ronin were mad at him.

Taking in deep breaths, Oliver tried to steady himself, still a bit shaken up. His arms remained around Loren, holding on until the man showed that he wished for him to let go. For now, it was helping him. Giving him something to think about and focus on... what he truly needed in this moment. Astra pushing her way through only helped, causing Oliver to let out a small big of laughter, his arms tightening ever so slightly in reaction. "Thank you, Astra." He spoke in a quiet tone, almost a whisper.

the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Oliver started listing everything that might go wrong, Loren took his fellow hybrid's shoulders in a firm grip. "The portals to the Greatwood and Halo were open last season, and the monsters didn't travel through them. It seems entirely likely to me that they are confined to the Hollowed Ground." The healer's voice was firm on that point.

Raising his eyebrows, he gave the other man a confused look. "Why would Safrin hate you?" The Launceleyn was confused, although he didn't actually know the relationship between the goddess and Oliver at all.

Simply holding the blacksmith as long as he needed, Loren's arms tightened around his fellow hybrid. Astra continued to wind her way between both their legs, bleating in acknowledgement of the other man. "I will see you again." Again, the healer's tone was absolutely certain.
begin at the beginning
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Had.... had Halo really been open then? It was a shock, truly. "I guess... it just seemed so scary to have that be one of the first things I experienced... so I can only hope this year will be easier for me." He was so new to it and he only had so many friends. It was an overwhelming and scary experience to say the least.

There is a light shrug. "For not defending." It's the most he can say at this moment. Safrin may be mad at him for not doing his all to make sure that others stayed safe. It would be awful to have that be his end. There wasn't much else he could say at this time, his heart too heavy for such talks.

It took a bit, but finally Oliver was able to pull away from Loren, taking a step back and smiling faintly at this friend. "Thank you, Loren... please make sure to write me a letter or come to see me as soon as possible." Seeing as Loren was refusing to take the box, he might as well find a place to put it just in case he were to die during Deepfrost.

"You travel safe, okay?" Reaching down, Oliver stroked Astra gently, letting out a soft sigh. "And you make sue that Loren gives you tons of treats for me." Directly to the companion, of course, who absolutely deserved tons of love.

Fin for Ollie?
i just want my existance to be
more than trembling
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
"It's scary every year. I understand, though." Loren smiled encouragingly at Oliver. "But the vast majority of Grounders survived hundreds of LongNights, even without all these options."

As the other hybird explained why Safrin might be upset, the healer frowned. "She's the herald of life. Wouldn't she be happy you're preserving your life by getting out of a dangerous situation?" His confusion was evident.

Releasing the other man, the Launceleyn nodded. Keeping one hand on Oliver's shoulder, Loren gave his fellow hyrbid a gentle squeeze. "I will, and I will." Astra bleated, and the healer let out a huff of laughter. "Don't worry, she'll be plenty spoiled this Deepfrost." He reached down to ruffle her hair affectionately.

Then he gave the other man one last wave goodbye. With that, the Launceleyn went on to his last set of errands before the snows made travel impossible.

-FIN
begin at the beginning