six impossible things before breakfast
open
Petra Myr

Age: 35 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: 9 - Dext: 9 - Endr: 9 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
It was always difficult to know how to deal with sympathy, and touch. Was she supposed to do something, say something, lean into it or not..? It was nice that he cared, and showed that he did, but it was a bit... embarrassing too. Made her all gushy and warm inside, in a way that was completely hopeless. Never led to anything good. Just confusion and pain and... Still, she did smile, and though it was small, it came out far more genuine than before.

"It shouldn't make me feel better... but it does," she said. "Thanks. Again."  Tentative, not sure if it was the thing to do, she leaned a little bit towards him, somehow steadied by the simple kindness of his gesture.

She listened as he explained the differences, and his own sense of how it felt like. That small smile came back, fascinated and a little awed.

"I'd give anything to be abandoned, if it lets me learn magic... I always wished it was real, and that I could use it," she confessed, a little sheepishly. "I used to daydream up all kinds of scenarios where I found my way to another world, or found secret societies where magic still existed... Dragons and fairies and elves, vampires and all kinds. And now... I'm suddenly living it? But it's not amazing at all. At least... not all of it."

Looking around, that sinking dread came over her again. Of being outside herself, the world far too real, too vivid... Staring at her hands, she found them shaking again. Ah, if she could stop falling apart soon, that would be great.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

Loren just continued smiling at Petra. When she leaned in to him, he squeezed her shoulder gently. "I know the feeling." There was a slightly wry tone to his voice. However, he wasn't teasing, just acknowledging the absurdity of the situation.

Shaking his head slightly, he dropped his hand to his lap. "No. Not all of it. Most of it is...boring, and sad, to be honest." He sighed. When she began to break down a bit, he patted her shoulder again. As he did, he sent a pulse of invisible healing magic through her, specifically targeting her mental anguish as best he could. "But...there are moments of wonder and joy too." It was life, plain and simple, messy and beautiful.

LOREN
Brought back by satisfaction more times than the cat
Petra Myr

Age: 35 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Quiet kindness. What a rare thing it was. No impatience, no chasticement for losing her head, no urgings to get a grip and get going... Possibly, she was lucky with who had appeared before her in this moment of insanity. Or she underestimated people. Wouldn't be the first time.

She wanted to smile back at the wry comment, wanted to get a grip and get on her feet, have the world stop making her dizzy with every glance. But perhaps that was too much to ask of herself. This clinging to the next step - getting a job right away - was nothing more than a defense mechanism. If she focused on that, maybe she wouldn't notice so much how quiet it was, how different the smells were, how odd the light...

Faintly, she became aware of Loren's hand returning to her shoulder. Only this time, a warmth seemed to spread from it. The ache in her feet fell away, and in her back - it was always there - and it was as though a blanket had been wrapped about her head. Soft and calming... made her think of sunlight and water, of greens and lovely, calming things. With a soft breath she closed her eyes, the mounting tension draining away. The trembles subsided.

"Did you... do that?" she mumbled softly, sounding half asleep. Fairly sure he'd done something, because touch usually made her more tense, not less. For... reasons.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

As Petra asked if Loren had done anything, a guilty expression crossed his face. Immediately, he pulled his hand back into his lap. Rubbing it anxiously, he looked away from her. "Yes. Sorry. I, I should've asked for your permission first." It was clear he was contrite and embarrassed, and he found himself completely unable to meet her eyes.

Staring steadfastly at the floor, he sighed. "It's...I have healing magic. In addition to healing wounds, it can...soothe the mind. but I...again, I'm sorry for using it on you without asking first." Biting his lip, he hung his head a bit, more than a bit ashamed to have slipped back into old habits. And worse, to have been caught.

LOREN
Petra Myr

Change author:
Leaning her head down to rest a temple against the upturned knees, she turned her face to look at him. The almost tranquile sensation lingered in her mind, like a soothing balm had been applied, and the smile she gave him was soft, even warm.

"I don't mind," she said, very sincerely. "It really helps, so... thank you." A lock of hair fell down over the cheek, and she absently pulled it back behind an ear. "Are you a doctor then? Er, a... a healer?" It would explain why he was so familiar with this room.

Trouble with the easing of the frazzled state of her mind was that the drowsiness returned. She had woken up too early, and been chilled to the bone by the rain, walked for a good while, and now placed in a warm building. The cot underneath her wasn't soft, but it was tempting all the same.

Sleeping would be a really bad idea though. There was a whole day ahead, with a dizzying amount of things that required doing. The thought... should have caused her a great deal of distress, but strangely enough all she felt was resigned acceptance. Whatever Loren had done, it was very potent.
the Firebrand

Change author:

Breathing a sigh of relief as Petra told Loren she didn't mind the healing, he smiled faintly. "Good. I'm uh, glad it helped. And...you're welcome." Still, there was a lingering awkwardness, as evidenced by the way he rubbed his palms nervously against his thighs.

When she asked him what he did, he nodded. "Yes. I'm a healer." Standing up, he turned to face her, clasping his hands behind his back. "I've also coached my fair share of Outlanders through the transition." His voice was quiet.

Gesturing around at the infirmary, he gave her an understanding look. "You're welcome to stay here as long as you like, and to help yourself to the food here. It might take a while to find a more permanent place to stay."

LOREN
Petra Myr

Change author:
Healer, life coach, general good guy... It would be very easy to confuse this guy with your regular saving angel. His nervous palm rubbing and the way he averted his own gaze at times made her feel like he perhaps only was marginally steadier than herself though. Younger, certainly,  yet competent enough at what he did to feel vastly more mature. Something to envy, that competence.

The cot shifted when he stood, and again she had the sense that he was about to leave. There was a pang of reluctance and loss at the idea, she didn't want to be left alone here. But the healing touch to her mind had taken the edge off her fear - for good or bad was difficult to say - and though she searched for things to ask, to say, so that he might linger a bit longer... none came to mind.

There were, after all, too many things she didn't know. So many differences that she didn't even know where to begin. And aside from the inner protest at having to make this gray, dreary village her new home... permanently... well. Was she in any position to complain, or make demands? No.

"Seems I'm not entirely out of luck then, if I find a doct... a healer right after getting into trouble," she noted, with dry, quiet amusement. For all that it was a shitty situation, it could have been far worse. "Will... I see you around, anytime?" Not that she would beg to, or go looking for him  - she wasn't that clingy - but... possibly it would be reassuring. To see at least one familiar face in this whole new world full of strangers.
the Firebrand

Change author:

Letting out a huff of laughter at Petra's comment, Loren nodded. "Not out of luck at all. I think you'll find that there are going to be quite a few people in the Hollowed Ground who are willing and able to help you out of trouble." His voice was as kind and comforting as he could manage.

Hesitating for just a moment, he nodded slowly. "I don't live here. But I'm around fairly frequently. I can come check on you next time I'm around?" It was the best he could offer at the moment. "And if you need to see me, just send a message to Loren Launceleyn at the Palace in Halo."

LOREN
Petra Myr

Change author:
Quite possibly there were, and quite possibly she would put off asking anyone for any help at all until she was deep enough into trouble that it was drowning her. And still feel bad for needing to trouble anyone even then. Her slight smile and the distant look to her eyes suggested as much... but still she didn't contradict him. "I'm sure they are as kind as you say," she replied, neutral to the point of blandness.

It was her turn to be awkward when offered to check in on her later. It was pretty much what she wanted, but it still felt like an imposition on his time. "You don't have to," she said quickly, "I'm sure I'll be fine. Just... well, if you are here anyway... It, eh, it would be nice."

And she would make sure to remember where to find him. If there was an emergency. Or... Well. Messages. She nodded. "Thank you, Loren. Really, thank you." Seeking his gaze, she tried to convey the full extent of her gratitude. Not everyone would do this much for a stranger. Or offer to keep in touch after the fact. It was... more than kind.
the Firebrand

Change author:

Grinning weakly at Petra's comment, Loren shrugged. "Only one way to find out." He was hoping to bolster her spirits, but he was well aware he was hardly the most inspiring figure.

"Luckily for you, I don't feel any sense of obligation to check in on you." He let out a laugh, though it wasn't that cheerful. "Doesn't mean I don't want to." Giving her an understanding look, he smiled as best he could.

When she thanked him, he nodded. "You're very welcome." Then his expression grew slightly bashful. "But...it really wasn't that big of a deal. And the best way to thank me is to help the next soul who finds themself in this world." With that he turned to go, though he paused to glance back at her. "I'll see you around, Petra." It was a promise.

With one last smile, he was gone.

LOREN
Petra Myr

Change author:
And how exactly was she supposed to feel about all that? There was a whole lot of conflicting messages there. A nice guy claiming he wasn't a nice guy, while busy doing nice guy things. While... also almost being insulting, in the 'I'd do it for anyone' kind of way. Way to crush a girl's illusions, boy. Well done. Saviour crush firmly averted. She rolled her eyes at him and smiled wryly, then waved after Loren as he left.

Only when he was well and truly gone did she move. With a long, slow sigh she slumped down on the cot and closed her eyes. The silence reverberated in her ears, and told her more plainly than words ever could about how far from home she really was.

For the longest time she just lay there, numb... before a shuddering sigh broke the dam, and hot tears began to roll from her eyes. Streaming down the temples, dropping quiet salt stains onto the fresh sheets.

Gods, this was insane.

------
- FIN