seconds, and first steps.
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Seren
I am magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment
Destined to seek, destined to know
Mother's cheek was warm and cool, soft and solid and entirely lovely. Seren wrapped soft, chubby arms around Safrin's neck and hugged her hard, feeling the love. Took it within herself and returned it doubled, in a quiet game of 'I love you more'. They had talked about it, this leaving and parting, of going to a new home. It had been a part of this whole scenario, a perfect vision in her mind. But as with all dreams, they were never quite the same as reality. Seren never knew that parting would be this hard.

Father's words were a comfort, then. It was a door left open, and although some part of her knew it wasn't as simple as all that, Seren grasped the dangled strand of hope and clutched it tight. It gave her the courage she needed to give her mother a final squeeze and let go - oh, how hard it was to let go - and walk those final steps towards Ronin. Her fingers were small and a little chubby as they took his offered hand, impossibly clean in a way they might never be again.

"It's okay, daddy. It will be alright." Straining her neck to look all the way up at him, Seren gave her father a smile, sweet and warm and trusting. And if her breath hitched a little as she held back a sob, it might just be cold Leafchange winds. A shiver, ever so small.

Seren looked long over her shoulder though, blue eyes feasting on Safrin's radiant form.
I am a princess on the way to my throne
Destined to reign, destined to roam
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
safrin
"I love you more than all the stars, in all the galaxies." Safrin cooed, her voice wavering with emotion the like Ronin would never have heard from her before. Whatever he might think, whatever his judgements and thoughts of her now, she was still a mother, he a love of hers, and Seren her most cherished star.

"Every night listen for the lullaby of the stars, and every morning, the sun will greet you with its warmth." The goddess said, rising. She had made these goodbyes before, and so it was not as hard for her as it was for Seren, but nevertheless Safrin was forced to place her utmost trust in Ronin at a time where they were at their most fragile. The knowledge she could reduce him to smoke in a heartbeat was of little comfort, knowing that Seren would forever be caught in the aftermath.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
we live in a world someone else imagined
Ronin, too, felt his throat close with emotion as Seren took his hand. He’d held another hand like this, on the way to his wedding. But Aoife’s had been smaller (and let’s face it, covered with jam at the time). Swallowing hard, he nodded at the girl. ”I’m sure it will be,” he agreed for her sake, the Star already turning to guide her away across the sands.

He didn’t look over his shoulder at Safrin. He didn’t look up at the white stone marker of Aoife’s grave (another pang of grief hit him then, realising Safrin must have chosen this place on purpose). Ronin kept his eyes between Seren and the beach ahead. ”We are in a place called Torchline,” he explained. ”There are lots of stories about it.”
the dark star
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Seren
Her mother's wavering voice nearly made Seren change her mind. But her father's hand was big and warm and already leading her away. So all the girl could do was wave a forlorn goodbye to the goddess, who thus far was the only thing she had ever known. Lullabyes and suns were well and good, but they would not be the same. "Love you too, mama. Bye bye."

Ocean eyes turned to her father then, when looking back became too strenuous. They passed over a white stone near the base of the lighthouse, without knowing what it meant, enticed by the suggestion of tales as of yet untold.

Torchline. It was a good name. Had the taste of home, when she tried it on her tongue.

"What kind of stories?" Seren asked him, the sadness falling away a little more with every step. Giving room for keen interest, and a fierce happiness to finally be with her father. "Will you tell me one?"
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"Oh, all kinds of stories," Ronin said, his voice quiet and animated as they headed away from the lighthouse. Regardless of the storm building within him, Ronin would not let any child - let alone his own - feel uncomfortable or upset when there was no reason. Especially given that Seren had just been separated from everything she had ever known. "They say there are pirates that sail the ocean around the Torchline islands. And there are mermaids that live beneath the waves."

It helped, being away from Safrin, and Ronin felt a strange sort of numbness come over him. "But my favourite story is about the L'ma, though that is a sad one. Maybe I can tell you that one a different time." They were trailing along the shore now, leaving prints in the sand, and Haulani's lights danced in the distance.

"It's a little while into town - are you going to be okay walking?"
the dark star
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Mmmh, pirates or mermaids? The conundrum of every little girl throughout the ages. Walking with cool sand beneath her feet and the starstrewn skies overhead, and Father's warm hand to hold, there was nothing for Seren to fear. The unease she had felt so very briefly melted away along with the sadness of being away from Mother, leaving her wholly comfortable in this strange new world.

"Are there really pirates?" she breathed, glittering with excitement at the revelation. "Do they get along with the mermaids?" Because why choose, if you could have a story about both?

"I think I can walk, but I never really tried, so dunno," she said, very honestly because Seren had never had reason to hide away anything, or speak anything but utter truth. "Is that where we are going?" Seren pointed at the lights in the distance, to the stars-that-were-not that shone so soothingly.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Oh yes, really." Ronin nodded wisely, glancing sidelong at the girl as they padded along the beach together. "I suppose they must get along with the mermaids. Underwater is a very good place to hide treasure, don't you think? And if the mermaids didn't want the pirates in their ocean, they would probably do something about it."

He stumbled verbally over the reminder that she'd never walked before. Because of course she hadn't, because she had been more star than child until today. "Well, if you feel your feet getting tired, you let me know and I'll carry you, okay?" he told her. As for the lights ahead?

"Yes," Ronin said. "That is Torchline's largest town - it's called Haulani. I have a friend there with a place I think we might be able to stay." Would he tell Sunjata about it yet? Nope. Was he thinking much beyond getting to a place where Seren could sleep and Ronin could... could...

Well. That was the problem. What was he going to fucking do?
the dark star
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Oh, this was a really good story. Even more so because it almost had to be true. "Have you seen any treasure? Or mermaids, or pirates? And you don't have to tell stories that make you sad," she told him generously, squeezing his hand as if to comfort him. The L'ma sounded like a story Seren really wanted to hear, but it could indeed wait.

She wasn't quite sure what he meant with 'tired', but the offer to carry her was simple enough, and the girl nodded easy agreement. For now though, she very much enjoyed the sensation of the shifting grains between her toes, and the way the ocean sighed and how the wind tossed her curls about.

"Okay, daddy. Who is your friend? Is it... a pirate?" she guessed, wide eyed and clearly very excited about this possibility.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Mermaids or pirates? Not yet, no. But I know plenty of people who can turn into fish or other sea creatures, so it's kind of the same thing," Ronin said, somehow finding chattering away to be less stressful than he had imagined. It could be anyone's child, walking like this on the beach. He could just be returning them home. "I did find some treasure once, in some hidden pathways in Haulani. But it wasn't worth much - just a couple of strange goblets. I let my travelling companions have them as souvenirs," he explained.

The ocean sighed and the waves lapped at the shore, and Haulani twinkled far too brightly in the distance. All was so calm, and Ronin felt mad with it. "Do you know, for all I'm aware my friend could be a pirate these days," he said regarding the guildmaster, a quiet and amused smile flickering across his face. "His name is Sunjata. He owns a guild - that's like a group of people who come together with one goal, like hunting or fishing - and there's a place in town that belongs to him that we might stay for a little bit."

The boxing ring was hardly ideal, but it would do for a night. "It's late, so I won't disturb him today. Maybe tomorrow we can go and speak to him."
the dark star
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Seren's small, plush mouth turned into a silent 'o' as Ronin indulged her curiosity. "That's amazing!" Even if it was only sort of mermaids and not quite pirates, and not very treasury treasure, it was still enough to leave her quite starstruck. Of course, she knew her papa was incredible - how could he not be? - but it was all kinds of amazing to hear him confirm it.

And now they were going to stay at a secret pirate's place, which... should make Seren part of the secret pirate crew? Or maybe she could be, once she had met the person properly. "That would be fun. Like an adventure," she breathed, those wide innocent eyes glittering with excitement. "Torchline, Haulani, Sunjata, Guild... Does the place we will stay have a name too? Where do you live?" Her pronounciation of the new words was careful and precise, repeated with Ronin's accept almost perfectly mimicked.

Her short legs did a good job of keeping up, but the starchild was not used to walking. At all, really, or in shifting sand. In time, her bare feet began to stumble, and her pace slackened as taking each new step grew harder. There was a discomfort building in her body, almost like the absence of Mother felt deep in her soul. Was this what 'tired' meant?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Despite himself, a quiet laugh rumbled up in Ronin's chest at the girl's enthusiasm, and he nodded along wisely. It was amazing, and since leaving Northaven maybe he had come to take that for granted. Hearing the names of the places he had mentioned mimicked back at him with his own inflections was... well, he would think more on that much later. "You know, I don't believe it does have a name yet. I will have to ask Sunjata when we see him. And I... ah, well. I live in a wagon on the beach, which is why we need to find somewhere a little better for tonight."

That and his husband was sleeping soundly in that wagon, and Ronin was not going to open that can of worms until he absolutely had to.

Given that they were holding hands, it was all too obvious that Seren was starting to lag behind, and Ronin slowed his steps enough to turn and scoop her into his arms. "Is that better?" he asked, picking up his pace now as sand became stone under his feet.
the dark star
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
A wagon? Frankly, it sounded quite interesting too. "Okay, daddy." Her reply was a little breathless, and not so much because of excitement this time. Her small lungs were straining for the first time, as was her legs, and her whole body ached too. It was very new. Mother had explained it, but to reiterate; it was very different to experience it.

Father noticed her plight before she had to ask for help. The ground disappeared beneath her feet and there was a swooping in her belly as he picked her up. Laughing freely at the tickling sensation, she wrapped her arms around Ronin's neck and made to press a soft cheek to his stubbled one. He was very tall, and she felt as though she was floating, the world rushing past her with each long-legged stide of his.

"Much better!" she agreed, staring bright eyed at the dark landscape from this new vantage point.

She felt so light and happy, and somehow the feeling spread from her small body in a pulse of weightlessness. It didn't extend far, but for a moment the girl would feel feather light in his arms, and perhaps that sensation of gravity falling away might extend to her father as well.

It would be nice if it did; Seren wanted to share it with him.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"I'm glad," Ronin said softly, closing his eyes for just a moment as she pressed her soft little cheek against his own. Focusing very hard on their destination and all the next, logical steps they needed to take, he let his eyes flutter open once more so he could lead them through Haulani. Starlight still flickered out of him of its own accord, however, betraying his feelings to any who knew him well enough.

The lights were muted and the streets empty, but Haulani still managed to seem busy; probably because of the distant noise towards the docks. As Ronin walked he did indeed feel Seren grow suddenly lighter in his arms, and his strides felt as though they were going a lot farther. "Is this you?" he asked wryly, the smallest amount of amusement in his voice as they walked towards the boxing ring.

It was upon them soon enough, Ronin ducking inside and needing no torchlight to see by with the light that emanated out of him. "Luckily it's nice and warm in Torchline. I wouldn't want you to get cold," he said, heading towards a few stacked crates that would make a good partition from the rest of the ring for now.
the dark star
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Used to Mother's radiance, she thought nothing of the pretty starlight that shimmered around Father's form. It was only as it should be, another reminder of how they were similar and connected.

His amusement as her little trick extended towards him drew a mischievous giggle from the girl. "Yes," she admitted brightly. "Did it help, did it feel funny?" She was happy, and it seemed as though she might have been able to make Father a little laughy too. That would be great.

With her legs and body able to rest, Seren's mind remained alert and awake. Late it might be, but she was a child of the night sky, and did not yet know the rhythm of sleep and waking like other children. As Ronin brought them into the city, and soon into the hollowed husk of a building, reclaimed and repurposed, she looked around with keen interest.

Unfamiliar smells clung to the air here. Salt sea, night winds and sweet dew faded in favor of smoke, spices, food and filth, and as they entered the intended shelter, tangs of sweat and blood, cigarettes and alcohol grew sharper too. She didn't have the words for what the mingled odor came from yet, but it tickled her nose until she sneezed. Once, twice.

"What is that for?" she asked, snuffling, and pointed at the roped off pit of sand. Even she could tell it was not a place meant for sleeping.