Fortune Soul
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Jigano chuckled, thinking that they both had their share of putting each other through a wringer with both gods and goddesses, but he was distracted by the approaching nimbus and its tethered flying beastie. The bard's eyes lit up with excitement at the new creature, and he started walking towards the real Ronin as the projection offered the explanation.

"Only briefly," he admitted to the manta rays. "And recently, from a distance. I never saw a true coast on my world, so all the ocean creatures are somewhat new to me." He slanted a wry glance between both Ronins. "I don't expect you to teach me everything about them all, but the ones that have unusual abilities or powers would be good to know in advance. This gem, now..."

He admired the creature behind Ronin, and the gem in its forehead. "Can you remove it without hurting them?" he asked curiously. "For that matter, are they edible?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
Once they were close enough, the projection at Jigano's side would disperse, allowing the bard to speak with the one and only Ronin again. "If you can, I've never done it," he admitted, indicating the bright gem shimmering in the cloud manta's forehead. It did not seem particularly bothered to be tethered right now, swooping lazily about the two men and acting as some bizarre kite, or parasol against the sunshine.

"I've only ever hunted them, when I've been asked. And merchants are only really interested in the gems." He shot a smirk at Jigano as he admired the manta above them, however. "Honestly? They're delicious," he said, chuckling. "And if they are not edible, I ought to be dead by now - Remi too."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"I wonder what happens to the crystals when they die naturally, of old age or disease?" The bard mused thoughtfully, watching the creature swooping and drifting above them with open delight. "That might make harvesting easier, if the crystals retain their property then. Though if they're a good food source as well it makes sense to make use of them," he admitted with a chuckle. "I don't suppose you have any leftover crystals I could trade you something for? It doesn't feel quite right to kill something on a leash." He looked over at the Dark Star ruefully, considering how many of his meals in foxform he happily ate raw. Civilization made for strange contradictions sometimes.

"What other interesting creatures have you come across on this coast? I saw some pink... dolphins? Small whales? while flying overhead the other day. Do you know what they're called?" He'd also seen Amalia turn into one, but neither of them had known what name to put to her new shape, and since he'd promised not to tell anyone about it it seemed easier to focus on other sightings of the pink sea swimmers.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Jigano posed an interesting point, and Ronin shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe they wash up on the shore, or sink to the bottom of the ocean. They say there are merfolk out in the deeper waters, so perhaps they keep the gems. I'm sure there must be some treasure hunters who search for them along the shoreline though, don't you think?" He grinned, looking up at the cloud manta. The bard's offer of a trade was right up Ronin's alley, especially given the R&R wagon. "I do, in fact, have a couple I haven't yet sold," he said - not counting his own, of course. "What would you trade for it? We can drop by the wagon on the way back."

The pink dolphin-like creatures were not something Ronin could honestly say he had seen, and the expression on his face told as much. "Might be best to ask Amalia about that one," he confessed. "I haven't, sorry. I have come across sightings of ghost whales, though - enormous creatures that can swallow ships. You can see the entire skeleton within, apparently..." Little did he know he would be hunting them soon enough. "And then there are hels. They look like ordinary gulls, but if one lands on your shoulder you can walk across the water. Be careful though - if it leaves and flies away, you'll sink. And then of course there's the L'ma."

Gesturing to the cloud manta, he smiled at Jigano. "Any further inspections to make on this beastie? Or shall I let him go?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"I'd like to meet the merfolk someday," the bard admitted a little wistfully. "But given how our first meetings with the Fae went... well. I'm hoping we can learn from our past mistakes." His crooked smile made it clear how likely that was, but at least they were trying. "In the meantime, though, maybe I'll start spending my days off combing the shore for these crystals!" 'Days off' was, of course, a joke, but it was a good-natured one, the bard happily busy with Guilds and farms and Outlander advising work. "But in the meantime... hmm. Remi mentioned his own magic has been as unstable as mine lately. If there are any small items you need for your home I can try and make those? Or I could compose a song in your honor..." he teased with a wicked glint in his eyes.

Alas, Ronin couldn't offer much on the nature of pink storm dolphins, but ghost whales and hels? "Ghost whales? Gods least fortunate, that sounds like a terrifying thing to meet out on the water." He grimaced, building a mental image from Ronin's words and finding it as fascinating as it was terrifying. "I don't suppose they're herbivores?" Whales ate small plants, didn't they? He thought he'd read that somewhere, but it had been a very long time ago. It hadn't made sense given their supposedly immense size, but it was better than the alternative. "Have you tested the gulls out yourself?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Given Remi's latest shift as an octopus, I am happy on dry land for the foreseeable future. I imagine the merfolk will be very interesting, though." Ronin grinned. "Perhaps it won't be like the Greatwood. After all, if they don't want you down in their city, they are in a much better position to tell you to leave," he pointed out with a chuckle. On the nature of their trading, Roning hummed out his consideration and shrugged his shoulders; he couldn't think of anything off the top of his head. "We'll make it an open bargain, perhaps," he said. "I'll come and seek you out, when I next need something you might help with?" Ah, the joys of trading.

Since Jigano hadn't affirmed it either way, Ronin did reach up to untether the cloud manta, letting it swoop lazily back out to sea. He smiled after it, preferring to think of such a creature rather than a ghost whale. "From the descriptions of them, I'm led to believe they will eat anything they can find," he said. "Remi called some of the gulls down when we met Ludo at the Hale Ka'aila, and we did take a stroll along the waves." He nodded. "Can confirm, they do work."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"I saw that," Jigano admitted with a sympathetic grin. "No offense to your mate, but those tentacles are, ah... unsettling. Fascinating, but best seen from a distance." Moreso in certain contexts than others, to be fair. But his sympathies lay entirely with the Dark Star on this matter. "Just our luck the merfolk will have an underwater Pit to throw us in. Or maybe they'll just feed us to the sharks." Really, the possibilities beneath the waves were endless when it came to things that could go wrong and kill you.

He nodded in acceptance and a rueful sort of satisfaction of the deal. "As always you'll be welcome, and I'll do what I can to return the trade." Then his grin turned sly as he eyed the other man, mischief returning. "Or... I can promise to not make a song about you?" Teasing, mostly. Mostly.

The manta was freed and his attention returned to watching its graceful flight, smiling at the simple beauty of the creature as it returned to its quiet life. "Is there any way to know which ones are regular gulls and which ones let you walk on water?" It could take a lot of experimentation to get the right one, given how many of the feathered scavengers called the coast home.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"No offence taken. Of all his shifts, including the manticore, the octopus is just weird," Ronin said with an easy shrug. As the cloud manta drifted away into the sea, he turned to stroll back along the beach so they could get back to the wagon and sort the trade for the jewel. "Whatever the merfolk decide to do, it's probably best to leave them to it right now," he said; his opinion, nothing more. "Surely the people of Torchline know of their existence? They've been leaving them well enough alone." And that might be for the best, for all he knew.

Letting out a laugh at Jigano's offer to trade (and not write a song about him), Ronin shot him a mischievous grin in return. "Even if I agreed to that, I can't say I believe you sir," he said. It felt good to have just easy conversation; it wasn't something he had expected to enjoy again.

Nibbling at his lip as they walked, Ronin shook his head gently. "I wouldn't say they look terribly different. But Hels are much friendlier than regular gulls. I can't say an ordinary gull has hopped on my shoulder for a ride."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano nodded fervent agreement of the weirdness of octopi. Most of his prior experience with tentacles had involved creatures of the Dominion of the Black, and those had been decidedly unnatural - and extremely unfriendly. He ambled alongside his friend as they headed back up the beach, and as he walked he pulled out his notebook again to scrawl down the information he'd learned so far. Cloud mantas, Ghost Whales, Hels, L'ma...

"Do you know any other stories about the L'ma?" he asked, curiosity pulling him away from the merfolk mystery for a moment as he tapped his chin lightly with the top of the pencil. "I was there when we all tried to get it airborne again, but I don't really know anything about it."

He chuckled at the description of the Hels, though, eying a nearby gull suspiciously. "They certainly sound like mischievous little beasts. Thanks for the heads-up." And a note to himself to make sure to compel any of the noisy blighters to remain where they were if he ever took a stroll, rather than relying on the kindness of their wicked avian hearts.

He managed to avoid the driftwood and seaweed as they strolled, and he shot the Dark Star a mischievous grin. "The danger, of course, is that if you don't take the trade you risk the certainty of a song. Hmm...

'The shining of the stars above
Don't burn as bright as those that fall
And if you try stealing Ronin's shit
He'll starlight punch you through a wall.'

Needs a bit of polishing, but it's only a rough draft,"
he mused with wicked glee. Setting the words to a bouncing drinking tune was the right choice, he decided. That, or a lullaby to really showcase the profanity. "Do you have a preference for the refrain?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"I only know what those in Torchline have told me, and they might well be rumours. I've heard that it grants wishes to those who throw shiny things in the Miana Pool." Ronin shrugged as they ambled along. "Though I'm sure there are those in town who know more. Perhaps you and your Loreseekers can petition the sailors and merchants to tell you their stories, that you could write them down." Winking, Ronin led them up the beach now towards where the wagon resided in its leafy foliage.

Giving a small nod at Jigano's thanks, Ronin wasn't really sure what to make of the impromptu song, but he shot the bard a sharp look and a crooked smile for his trouble. "I'd prefer there not to be a refrain at all!" he said, and perhaps there was a hint of a blush on his cheeks. "Leave me out of your legends and tales, bard."

Besides, they had reached the wagon now, and Ronin all but rushed inside to make the trade, worried that Jigano would start belting out the chorus of his new melody.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"That's what I'm doing right now, Merchant Taliesin." The bard gave his friend a wink. "It seemed easier to start with someone I know, rather than accosting strangers. I'll have to move on to buying drinks and writing down rumors from unreliable sources eventually, though. It's been awhile since I relied on those old skills." He gave a rueful shake of his head and followed Ronin to the wagon, relaxing in the shade of a large palm.

Ronin's blush was almost payment enough, Jigano having forgotten how shy the former captain could be about accolades. "So, do we have a deal after all?" he teased. "No refrain, and I never sing the first verse again, in exchange for being able to drown slightly less if I end up in the drink?" He was content to wait outside, not wishing to intrude on what seemed to be a home as much as a store, though he'd poke his head in if invited.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Oh, ha - very funny. This merchant is more a hunter and a fighter, but I'll take it," Ronin said as he hopped back out of the wagon, a small pouch in hand which he offered to the bard. "The gem has to be pressed against the throat for you to be able to breathe underwater, so I suggest setting it into a necklace or something similar," he advised. "Also you have likely been there already, but I recommend the Hanged Man for any rumours or other nefarious information."

As for the not-trade, he flashed the other man a rueful grin. "You have twisted my arm, sir. It seems more like blackmail than a bargain, but I'll take it. Take your gem and go." He pointed dramatically, acting the part of an angry merchant.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"A hunter for hire is still a kind of merchant," Jigano argued the semantics happily as he took the pouch. He listened to the instructions and nodded thoughtfully. With his creation magic it would be simple enough to fashion such a necklace - a choker, really. Now, making one that would work in his Attuned forms would be the challenge...

Though, really, why he'd want to shift into a fox or a horse underwater was hard to imagine. A regular necklace would be fine.

"I think that's where Remi took me for our chat about Ludo," Jigano agreed thoughtfully. "Seems a good place to return to. Thanks for the tip."

Alas, he was a far from gracious bargainer, and he drove a steep price for his silence. Laughing, he waved to the hunter as he let Isuma know it was time to go. "I think you've got the better part of it! Bards would murder each other for the right to tell your tales - with suitable small embellishments along the way, of course - but I've given my word. No songs!"

The gryphlet bid a reluctant goodbye to her dragon friend and swooped down to land on Jigano's shoulder as he headed back down the beach, updated collection of fauna for the guild tucked safely in his pouch and a new item to study in hand.

An old friend regained, a magic item procured, and new knowledge for the Loreseekers. All in all, a damn fine day on the beach.

{Fin}