you've got it wrong, this isn't right
Letha Úlfurdur

Age: 32 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 11 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Letha lifted her hand. Warm, soft sand filled her small fist. She gently opened her hand, the sand falling in such a way that prevented Letha from looking away. She sat on the beach, leaning against a smaller tree than most of the surrounding ones. She breathed intentionally -- but it felt somewhat off. When the last grain of sand fell from her fingertips, she looked up. The sky was clear, littered with the endless glitter of stars. That, and only that, felt familiar. Everything else felt foreign. There was quite a bit of noise around her, which is why she stayed still. How could there be so much noise? She had never heard so much, all at once. At least, she could not remember hearing so much, all at once.

Could she remember hearing anything at all?

She rocked forward, pushing herself to stand. How long had she been sitting there, under the perceived safety of the tree? She could not recall, but she faintly remembered feeling tired. She took in a long, deep breath. Had she always done this? She forced the air from her lungs. It felt like nothing.

Am I dead? She thought, looking out over the rolling tide. No, there would be cliffs if I were dead. Cliffs and mist and Ma. She did not really understand where she was, or what was happening to her, but she knew she was not dead. She couldn't be. Ma would be here, holding her hand, leading her to wherever it was dead things went. She definitely was not dead.

With silent determination, Letha wiggled her toes. She looked down. She flexed her calves, bent her knees, moved her hips gently left, then right. She lifted her shoulders, rolled them back, relaxed them down. She lifted her hands again, extending her arms before her as she moved and stretched her fingers one by one. She was not dead, and she was not broken.

The waves crashing against the sand was too loud, still. With confidence in her body, now, the woman stepped out towards the water. It reached towards her, then retreated. It repeated this dance as she approached, seeming to beckon her in. She stood at the edge of the tide, foamy water gently trickling over her shoes and soaking the hem of her skirt.

She did not know how long she stood there, but she finally bent down and touched the water. It felt, once more, like nothing.

L e t h a

Where will I find peace other than in oblivion?
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
full moon rising on the waters of my soul
Amun had been continuing his explorations of Torchline. Although the Voice hadn’t given them explicit instructions to do so, he figured a little bit of initiative would go a long way with her. Today, he was making his way down the Ahi Coast, his bare feet leaving prints in the sand. He was dressed in shorts and a loose shirt, with a cutlass strapped to his waist. In short, he looked every inch the native.

Ahead, there was a small copse of trees by the water. At the water’s edge, there was the figure of an unfamiliar woman. His sharp eyes had no trouble spotting her features. He grinned as he saw her reach down to touch the sea as a wave rolled over her feet. Shifting his path, he angled himself towards her. "Hello there, miss." Voice bright and cheerful, he turned to look at the horizon. "Beautiful, isn't it?"
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Letha Úlfurdur

Age: 32 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
She was not aware of the man approaching her on the beach. The sound of the waves overwhelmed her as she stood there, staring out. When he spoke, Letha jumped. Quick legs backpedaled a few steps and her hands gathered up her skirt. From her mouth a small gasp quickened, but upon hearing it herself she snapped her jaws shut. Bright eyes moved instantly to meet the newcomer's. Her heart pounded beneath her breast -- or did it?

Embarrassment washed over her. The man before her, though he carried a small sword, did not come in a threatening manner. Letha, too involved in her own thoughts which galloped uncontrollably around her mind, had merely been startled by his voice -- so close, so sudden. She wanted to stutter out an apology, but something held her back. Her mouth opened slightly, but nothing happened. She must look so stupid, standing there before him looking ready to flee.

It seemed to take forever for her to move. She stood there for a few moments, studying the man's face and body. She had lost the bright, friendly tone of his voice, and the words he said entirely. She reeled in her brain, searching for them. They had not registered, and she had nothing to draw from. Finally, she cleared her throat and released the handful of skirt she had been holding. "Uh, hello." She stumbled over the words awkwardly, her own voice feeling so foreign in her throat.

Amun

L e t h a

Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The woman's distress was evident. Amun immediately raised his hands in a placating and hopefully calming gesture. "Sorry. Didn't mean to startle you." Although his voice was soft and soothing as well, his eyes had narrowed slightly and he watched her carefully for any sign she might bolt or attack.

Relaxing slightly, he nodded at her words. "Hello." Then he swept into a shallow bow. "I don't believe we've had the pleasure of meeting. Amun Arlun, at your surface." Straightening up, he grinned at her.

Slipping his hands into his pockets, he cocked his head to one side. "Forgive me for asking, but is everything alright?" He raised his eyebrows as he looked at her expectantly.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:
The gentleness with which he spoke felt familiar, even though this was a stranger standing before her. She intentionally relaxed her shoulders. "Letha. Letha Úlfurdur." She spoke her name, and it rolled off her tongue much easier than her greeting. As he moved into an easier posture, Letha followed suit. She lifted a hand to tuck a lock of thick, unruly hair behind one of her ears. She had her father to thank for this hair -- thick, dark, ever growing.

As Amun spoke, Letha turned again to look out toward the vast ocean. Having turned her attention fully to the man, the sound of the crashing waves did not feel so heavy. Brows knit together at the question, and she shrugged somewhat. She opened her mouth again, but only a small, confused sigh came out. Was she okay? She did not really know, in all honesty. She was lost -- right? At the very least, she felt lost.

She lifted her arms at her sides some, and they fell against her hips. She shook her head ever-so-slightly, looking over her shoulder back at Amun. "I'm unsure. I--I don't know where I am. What all this is." She gestured around at the beach, the trees, the ocean, the distant lights, all of it. She still spoke awkwardly, as if she were someone who was not practiced in conversation. The sound of her own words and the way they moved out towards Amun made her feel even more embarrassed, more than she had been when she had jumped away from him just minutes before. I'm sorry. I just -- I -- I just, well, I'm sorry."

Amun

L e t h a

Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
As the woman revealed her name, Amun grinned at her. "A beautiful name for a beautiful woman." Still, his tone wasn't flirtatious or suggestive, merely friendly.

Keeping his hands in his pockets, he studied her as she spoke, apologizing again and again. "That's alright." Voice still gentle, he smiled, the expression bright and inviting. "Nothing to be sorry about." He gestured at the ocean and then the land around them. "That is the Arclight Ocean and this land is Torchline."

However, he cocked his head to one side and continued to regard her, something almost cautious about his posture. "Can you tell me how you got here, Letha? What's the last thing you remember?"

Letha
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:
"A beautiful name for a beautiful woman."

Beautiful? Letha had never been called that before. It made something prickle along the base of her neck, but she internally shrugged it off. She had never felt beautiful. Even without full memories, something inside of her knew this: her Ma was beautiful. Ranjiri, the goldenshade (how did she know this name>), was gorgeous. Letha carried her delicate features, but mixed with her father's genes, she had not thought herself as pretty as her mother. Having never met her father, she could not say if she knew he was handsome or not. Letha, as she had always believed, was plain in comparison to her mother.

Amun went on to inform her of where they stood. The names were foreign, and did not spark anything inside of her. No familiarity. Nonetheless, she committed it to memory. His question made her eyebrows raise some. How did she get here? The lithe woman turned around, looking around from where she had awoken. She walked towards the small cluster of trees without thinking. She paid no mind to Amun for a moment, whether he would follow her the ten yards or so. "I--" she started, putting her hands on her hips. Her face twisted as she thought, hard. "I remember being here." She pointed to the spot she had stood up from, turned to face the water afterwards. "I walked there, and you met me there. I think I was here for a long time, though." She said, gesturing back to the safety she had found beneath the tree's shade.

"I first remember it being light -- bright, too bright -- but then I remember it being dark...and then I moved." She closed her mouth shut, tightly, after finishing her sentence. She looked back to Amun, searching his face carefully. She knew she must sound like an insane person, moving around the beach and gesturing this way and that and not remembering much. "I remember mist. Fog, maybe? Cliffs. Trees...different trees." But how long ago had that memory been?

Amun

L e t h a

Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
As Letha grew more and more confused, Amun made soothing noises. Lifting his hands from his pockets, he once again raised them in a placating gesture. Following her cautiously, he looked at the tree she indicated, then back at her. "Okay. Don't worry, we'll figure this out." His voice was shockingly soft and understanding.

Crossing his arms, he looked between her, the tree, and the ocean a few times before his gaze settled on her face once more. "Can you tell me anything about the place you came from? Were the trees you were walking through like the trees here?" Tone coaxing, he gave her an encouraging nod.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:
Letha stepped closer to the tree where she had sheltered before meeting Amun. Reaching out, she ran her hands down the trunk. The bark was not too rough, and it did not feel familiar. "No...they were bigger, and there were more of them." She looked up, scanning her eyes on the treetops. "They had needles. No leaves." The more she spoke, the less awkward she seemed as the words came out. She sighed again.

"I--I don't remember this place before toady." She decided, bringing her arms back and up to cross them over her chest. She looked back at Amun, directly making eye contact. She had not noticed before the smooth set of his eyes, the strong slope of his chin. His face was warm, inviting. Kind. It reminded her of something, felt the memory was fuzzy. Someone, perhaps? She couldn't place it.

There was something about Amun that calmed Letha. Perhaps it was his tone, perhaps it was that he had not once gestured towards his cutlass. Something about him, that she could not quite place, made her feel like she could trust him. "Why are you helping me?" He had been so quick to aid her when she did not know if she felt secure. "I'm sorry --" she quickly shook her head, "--that was rude."

Amun

L e t h a

Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Nodding thoughtfully, Amun looked over the tree more closely. "Were they pine trees? Was it colder where you came from?" Again, his questions came out softly, and he smiled gently at Letha.

Leaning again the trunk of the tree, he cocked his head to one side. "Does the name Caido mean anything to you?" This time, his eyes narrowed slightly and he watched her closely for any sign of a reaction.

Chuckling at her question, he shrugged. "Why wouldn't I help you?" It came out slightly teasingly, and he grinned at her to let her know he was laughing with her and not at her. "Let's just say I have been where you are, confused and maybe lost, and a stranger helped me. So I'm paying the favor forward. Sound good?"
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:
Letha sighed again. "Yes, pine trees." She noted, holding her arms closer against her chest. She didn't understand why she couldn't remember much, and she didn't like it. Even with Amun's presence and help offering her some comfort, she still felt uneasy. As if, at any moment, everything would change again. "No, I'm afraid not. What is Caido?" She asked, head tilting some as she waited, listened, and thought. He had said before that this place was Torchline.

"Well, thank you." She said gently, looking down at her feet. "Thank you for helping me, Amun. You are kind." She looked up at him again, leaning against the tree and grinning. It was amazing to her, suddenly, how someone could be so kind. Would she, in the future, aid someone to willingly as Amun had with her? Or would she fall into the trap of being too selfish?

"I just don't think I am from...here. But, where I am from I also don't really know."

Amun

L e t h a

Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Hesitating, Amun reached out a hand to try and tentatively lay it on Letha's shoulder. "Don't worry. We'll get you sorted out." Lifting his hand, he grinned encouragingly at her.

The grin stayed, though it lost a bit of its brilliance as she revealed not only that she didn't know anything about Caido, but also that she didn't know where she was from. "That's alright. Come, why don't you sit down?" He gestured for her to take a seat at the base of the tree.

Whether or not she did, he'd settle down in the sands, pulling his knees partly in and resting his arms on them. "I don't know where you're from. But I suspect you were brought to this world, which is called Caido, through a portal." He paused to let that fact sink in.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:
Letha did not flinch when he reached out for her. His kindness was what solidified her feet. But, as his fingers made contact with her shoulder, she looked down at them. Her eyebrows knit together. Amun, despite his grinning and his warm presence, was not warm to the touch. Hm. She wondered why, briefly, before being invited to sit. She did so, pulling her skirt up some so it was easier to curl her legs beneath her.

"A portal?" She asked, looking back up at his eyes. She leaned slightly towards where Amun was sitting, resting mostly on her arm. With her other hand, she mindlessly grabbed handfuls of sand, lifting slightly, and tipping the grains out as if she were a living timer. "That seems...likely." Letha tried to remember, but instead she only received flashes of childhood. She desperately reached out, trying to grab her mother's hand as they fled. Letha could feel the earth trembling beneath them, see lights flashing around them, explosions...and then nothing.

"I have been through portals before, I think." She finally stated, shaking her head gently to remove the memory from behind her eyes.

L e t h a

Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
As Letha sat, Amun gave her an approving and encouraging nod. When she revealed that she had been through a portal before, he raised his eyebrow at her. "Is that so?" The question came out in a neutral tone, and he regarded her carefully.

Grinning at her he watched the grains of sand fall from her hand for a moment before he returned his gaze to her face. "That makes this easier, I suppose." His expression softened, and he gave her a sympathetic look. "I wish there was an easier way to say this but...there's no way to return to the home and the life you once knew." The words came with the understanding of someone who'd been where she was.
amun

Coding base by Sky!