adventure isn't my strong suit
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 9 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 47 - Endr: 46 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
Nothing ever comes without a consequence or cost

Noah had never been out of Halo before. Well, at least, not before the last few days. Ezekiel, on the other hand, had been traveling like a madman after the portal opened up and outlanders flooded Halo. Well, they had not really flooded it -- but their presence was definitely noticeable above the small population of Halo that he knew so well. Noah was busy keeping their house in order, their dedicated people fed, all while Ezekiel had all but flown the coop. Noah had little interest in exploration, of adventure, but it had been exactly what Ezekiel had been desiring his entire life. Nearly a week ago, Noah's wayward brother returned. The two had fought as Ezekiel pressured Noah to leave Halo, and Noah pressured for Ezekiel to stay. They went back and forth, each standing firm on their beliefs: duty and adventure. Ezekiel left in a huff, and Noah was left furious in their cold, empty house.

Finally, however, the stubborn brother budged. Ezekiel had called him a coward, and Noah was determined to be lots of things, but never that.

He found himself here, in Torchline, where the sun blazed and blazed and touched his skin relentlessly. At first, he had shed almost all of his clothing. He was down to what no one had ever seen him in before -- shorts (pants that he cut off at the knee, desperately), and a thin shirt (that he had also cut the sleeves off of, desperately). However, the sun was relentless and burned his pale skin. He had to trade the rabbit he had brought with him to get a salve to put on his burned skin, and he had traded the vest he had brought for a lightweight, long-sleeved shirt. He lathered the salve on his skin and stayed to the shade until his skin was mostly healed, after it blistered and began to peel.

He continued to be smarter about the sun than he had before, but he was also ready to do some exploration. He found himself standing at the coastline, watching the water. He waded in, carefully. He couldn't swim, after all. He waded only until he was waist deep, and climbed upon a large rock that jutted from the water. It was surprisingly smooth, and he was careful not to slip back into the water as he climbed on, turned, and sat, looking out at the water. The sound of it moving and crashing at the shore was nice, and he decided that it was okay here -- but it was not Halo, his home.

NOAH OLSON
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
Torchline wasn't all bad, Phoebe had decided. The warm weather was nice. The sea-salt breeze was refreshing. As she walked down the beach in a thin, flowy knee-length dress, barefoot and hair free, she could almost forget that the frigid winter months were nearly upon them. Wide brown eyes cast down at her feet, sand squishing up between her toes, only to be washed away by the waves as they rolled in and out. Pim too enjoyed the weather, soaring about above her, occasionally chasing a Hel or two about.

She noticed a man out in the water, but didn't think terribly much about it. Who wouldn't want to be out enjoying the view and weather here after all? Eventually she found a place to sit so the waves still lapped at her feet but did not reach past her knees, face tilting up to the sun.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Don't care about all the pain in front of me
'Cause I'm just trying to be happy
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

Noah let his legs hang down the rock, the waves crashing up and grabbing upwards at him with salt,y foamy fingers. He continued to survey the area around him, watching the waves keep crashing towards him. This place was so different than Halo. After being here for a few days, he understood why Ezekiel wanted to continue to explore...but it did not really change Noah's mind. Halo would always be his home, and right now, it seemed like it was the only place where he was needed. He let his mind wander and plan, how long he would stay here and when he would return and all he would do...

Something flickered the sunlight above his head, catching his wandering attention. He looked up, watching the dark figure that looked so unlike a bird. He squinted, watched. A flash of a wing, a dip, carefully flying past the sun and Noah's heart leaped. That was a dragon! Noah moved quickly, forgetting for a moment where he was. He slipped on the surface of the rock and fell into the warm, salty water. He pushed his feet down, out around him, his arms flailing briefly. He surfaced, pulling himself into shallower water. He coughed and sputtered, wiping saltwater from his face.

Gods, please don't let it see this. He thought as he rushed toward the shore. Before him, a smaller woman inhabited the beach. Panic flooded the back of his mind again, heart racing beneath his chest. "Hey!" He yelled, trying to get her attention as he finally reached the shoreline.

Phoebe

NOAH OLSON
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe heard the splash but...well she was by the ocean so it didn't catch her attention. So for the moment, the man was spared any embarrassment as he flailed in the water. Only when he reached the shore and call out did the midwife turn her doe-eyed gaze over to him. The fear was plain as day on is face, and her brow furrowed in confusion. If there was danger, Pim would have alerted her to it already. "Hey...are you alright?" she asked, wondering if perhaps he hand been hurt.

Of course, that was when Pim chose to swoop down, landing at Phoebe's side as she stood. Wings unfurled he growled a warning at the man who had come charging towards his companion, silver teeth gnashing and eyes glinting in the sun. "Oh Pim, stop it, people are allowed to talk to me." she said to the dragonling with a huff, flicking his pink scaled head.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:

Even with Noah's alert, the woman seemed unfazed. As he moved towards her his eyes darted, looking for a shelter or the best place of escape. In Halo, the stories of dragons were great. Every story he had been told enlightened him to only one thing: they were dangerous. Dragons were to be revered and avoided. His father told him tales of great ice dragons that inhabited the mountains of Halo, devouring hunters that followed game too far. Whether or not this was reality had never come across Noah's mind. He trusted his father's every word, and knew the man would never lead him astray.

As he closed the distance between him and the woman, he had every intention of grabbing her and pulling her to safety. His heart raced still, ramming against his chest like it was trying to escape. Adrenaline started to course through his veins as he tried to decide the best plan. "We need to get off this beach. There's a drag--" Noah was stopped mid-sentence and and mid-stride. The dragon landed at the girls side, clearly threatening him. Noah stopped, nearly falling backwards. He had over-corrected himself, too used to the footing below him being slick. The woman, unperturbed, merely flicked the creature on its head.

Noah could not help but drop his jaw as she did so. "Uh... miss--" He didn't really know what to say, to ask, but he was both amazed and appalled at the woman standing before him. "How?" He finally sputtered, an unbelieving smirk lighting his features.

Phoebe

NOAH OLSON
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe blinked slowly, clearly confused. He was...scared of a dragon on the beach? Well of course there was Pi-...ohhhhh. The dragonling at her side turned his head and hissed at her in irritation. "Pim! You knock it off! You know better than to go growling at every new person we meet!" she said in an almost motherly, scolding tone. The dragon grumbled, jaws gnashing as if mimicking human speech patterns. Only when he folded his wings and plopped his butt down in the sand did the blonde look back at the man.

"I'm so sorry about that. He is a bit overprotective." she said, smiling a little bit. "This is Pim, he is my companion, given to me by Frey." she explained, patting his head. "Do you want to scratch his head? He likes that very much." Unless there was a reason to be afraid, she didn't want people fearing Pim. He was almost always with her after all.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:

Noah's face filled with amusement as he watched the interaction between the blonde woman before him, and the pinkish dragon at her side. It was amazing how such a creature could respond to a person. He had never seen anything like it, and it intrigued him. Thankfully, he did not have to ask. the woman gave him the information freely. He nodded, smiling still, but asked, "Who is Frey?" He had not heard the name before, and wondered if that was the woman's mother.

At her apology, Noah shrugged, "No need to apologize. I should be the one apologizing, jumping to conclusions and all." He smiled, a genuine, warm smile. "I am Noah, by the way." It faded, and was replaced quickly, by a quizzical look. She wanted him to...pet the dragon? His brows furrowed some. "Uh, sure. I guess....only if he wants me to." Noah said.

He extended a hand toward the dragon, but as he did so hissed suddenly as a sharp, cold pain seared down his back. He action of reaching forward pulled his saltwater soaked shirt tight to his body. He felt the sting of salt touching a wound. Lifting his arms and trying to look at his back, he noticed the off-colored red-orange of blood on wet cloth, just over his right kidney area. "Oh, I must have done that on the rock..." He muttered, lifting the shirt from the wound, letting loose a hissing "ah" sound, lightly under his breath.

Phoebe

NOAH OLSON
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Who is Frey? "Rae's Herald. The god of passion, sex, and procreation?" she said, as though that should have been obvious. "Are you an Outlander?" she asked. She had yet to meet any Natural that didn't know the names of the old gods, so it seemed reasonable to suspect that this man was not from Caido. Pim tilted his head to stare up at the man with one large, round, silver eye. He might not be allowed to growl, but he could still mean mug anyone he wished!

"It's alright. You saw a dragon in the sky. That's be a pretty scary sight to see without the context." she said with a small smile, patting Pim's head again. Her big, scary, pink protector. He did a good job without even trying! "I'm Phoebe. It' nice to meet you." she said.

But when he extended his hand and hissed in pain, her brows furrowed with concern. As he turned, she too caught sight of the blood soaking his shirt, and she gasped a bit. "Here, let me see that. I'm a healer." she said, stepping forward with her hands extended, ready to jump in to do what she could to help his wound. If left too long with ocean water on it, it could fester.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:

Noah pulled at his shirt, lifting it off the wound. The rock had gotten him good, but now that it was exposed he knew the pain was mostly coming from its contact with salt water. He had endured much worse. Phoebe moved toward him and he lifted the shirt a little further, trying to give her a better look at what had happened. "I slipped on that rock I was on." He took a sidestep toward her, glancing down at the dragon as he did so. He did not want to alarm the creature, but he trusted that this woman before him really was a healer. "It's not too bad, but that salty water stings. There's nothing like it in Halo." He said. He didn't know what would be better for her to look at the abrasion on his back, but he lowered himself to rest gently on his knees in the sand.

"Halo is my home. I was born there." He said, resting his hands on his thighs and leaning forward slightly. The still-wet shirt he lifted up stayed where he put it. "My parents never told me much about gods, and I was never interested enough to investigate." In truth, Noah had not done much learning outside of his skill set. He knew all there was to know about hunting in Halo, about surviving and supporting others. There was not much time to dedicate to much else when it was your responsibility to help keep the inhabitants of the winter hellscape alive.

He cleared his throat some, "Do you, uh, know a lot about the gods?" He didn't know what else to ask, but he was surely intrigued. Of all that she could have said, bringing up a god of sex, passion, and procreation was not what the man expected. "Is that why you have your dragon?" He looked over his shoulder, trying to see better at what the woman may be attempting to do with his wound.

Phoebe

NOAH OLSON
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe was already digging in here little bag of supplies she had brought just for this very reason. Better safe than sorry, and it wasn't like any of the things she had were particularly heavy. "I am sure there is salt water in Halo. It's just probably all frozen." she commented. All oceans were salt water as far as she knew, and even if it was frozen over from the deep cold of the tundra land, it was still salty.

She carefully peeled away his soaked shirt before using a bit of clean water to wash away the blood and debris. Thankfully it was nothing terribly deep or wide, and certainly looked far worse than it was. As he spoke she pulled out her abrasion gauze from her bag, applying it to his wounds. "This might itch a bit so try and stay still." she said, holding the magical gauze in place. As his skin magically healed at a rapid pace she was able to focus more on what he said. "Ah, I see. I suppose there are a few things a bit more pressing to worry about in Halo than devotion." she said softly, not holding it against him in the least. "I am an Outlander myself, but I have been living in the Hollowed Ground." she explained.

With his wounds finally healed, she put away the gauze and pulled out a rag to wipe away the remnants of the blood on his skin. "I haven't slept with Frey to get Pim, if that's what you mean." she said with a bit of a laugh. "I know a bit about the gods from my interactions with them. But Frey is my dearest of friends. My first trade is as a midwife, so I am sure you can imagine that our views align on a great many things." she explained.

"There, all patched up!"
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:

"There might be something resembling it in Halo," his skin prickled some when she touched him, a small shiver running up his spine, "but I don't ever have this much exposed skin where I could really come in contact with it." He mused, a chuckle lightening his breath. He lifted his eyebrows some, twisting his neck as much as he could to get a look at what she was doing. Her fingers moved quickly and carefully, making her skill apparent to him. She was right -- it did itch. The rapid sewing back together of skin and tissue was not something he knew. He only knew slow recovery, the itch of scabs and stitches and casts that lasted forever--or so, he always felt like in the moment.

When she had mentioned sleeping with the herald, Noah sputtered. "No, I'm sorry, that isn't what I meant--I, uh, er--" Blood rushed to his face, though it was barely noticeable beneath what was already sunburned. He shook his head, spinning on his knees in the sand to face Phoebe. Total embarrassment washed over his face, but he listened as she continued. Deciding it was better to move on, he did.

"Torchline is the first place I have ever been besides Halo. I don't venture much." He rocked back on his legs some, glancing over at Prim. He was very aware of the dragon and any move it made, despite trying to keep his attention on Phoebe. "You've been to Halo, then? What did you think?" He asked, making eye contact with her once more.

NOAH OLSON
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"I would hope not, you'd be liable to get frostbite otherwise." she said. She remembered Halo being bitterly cold - which Pim had very much disliked. If people went around dressed like they did in Torchline, they'd freeze to death in a matter of minutes, certainly. "The amount of skin on display here must've been a bit of a shock at first." she added, a hint of a smile on her lips at the thought of it. Out of necessity, Halo seemed a more modest culture as far as dress went, and Torchline couldn't have been more opposite if it tried.

"It's not?" she said with a hint of surprise. His clear embarrassment at her own forwardness reminded her a bit of Harper, but he clearly did not recover nearly as well. "Well, that makes you the first then. It's where most people's minds immediately go, when Frey is involved." she said with a light laugh.

Pim was clearly uninterested in the man at this point, sprawling out on the sand rather comically to soak up the sun's warm rays like any good reptilian creature. "Yes, I have been a few times." Phoebe said with a nod. "Cold. Not many people spoke to me as an outsider so I didn't get that good of a feel of the place to be honest." she admitted with a bit of a shrug.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:

He chucked at her comment about the near nakedness (in his history and opinion) of the people of Torchline. He shrugged some, "It was something." He remembered how red his face had been walking down the streets of the nearby city even before he had gotten sunburned. He was sure the people mocked him as he walked around, eyes wide and bouncing everywhere. Thankfully, he at least was large enough to ward off the thought of robbing him. At least...so far.

His eyebrows knit together, his jaw hardening some. "I have learned that people in this world don't always have such strength when it comes to keeping what they think from becoming what they say." Noah was no stranger to the foot-in-mouth moments in life, but he was near appalled at the thought of people blatantly bringing up Phoebe's sexual choices upon the mention of Frey. His mother, the angel that she was, made sure her sons always acted with respect toward women--even if they didn't deserve it. Really, she wanted her sons to be respectful of all people, but in the harsh world of Halo, respect towards women was not always what they saw from men.

As the dragon relaxed on the beach, Noah's body subconsciously relaxed as well. He did not release it intentionally, but there was a noticeable drop to his shoulder blades that reflected his growing ease in the presence of this woman and her companion. "Halovians are very....hard people. I think that a lot of them have given up hope, living in a place that tries to kill you everyday. It's hard to trust anything when danger lurks every second." He looked out toward the ocean, pulling his heels in some and resting his arms on his knees. "I'm sorry that you weren't welcomed. If I had met you there, it would have been different." The corner of his lip tugged slightly, a smile just barely gracing his features. "I have a younger brother, and between us he is the adventurer. He is the one who...encouraged me to leave Halo."

"Have you always been an explorer, I mean, even before you came here?" He asked, looking back at her. Phoebe was not that old, or at least she did not look that old, and that made it hard to believe that she had lived a nomadic life for very long. But, Noah had already been surprised twice today, so the world could keep throwing that his way.

NOAH OLSON
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe shrugged a bit, but her face was relaxed as she put her things back in her bag. "Perhaps so, but more often people struggle with the things their face says." she said softly. Most didn't need to say anything for her to know that they questioned it. But it seemed Noah liked to think he had more tact. Only time (lol) would prove if that was true or not.

But she shook her head at his apologies, even as she dug through her bag once more. "It's alright, I am well accustomed to that by now." she said with a soft smile. "I'm an Outlander. So...not being welcomed is a pretty common thing. Though it has gotten better." she added. Finally from her bag she pulled two small jars. "Here, spread the salve in the green jar on your skin to help soothe your sunburn. Put the cream on your exposed skin in the morning to help keep it from burning more." she said, holding them out to him.

"Me? An explorer? No, not at all. I'm very much a homebody." she said with a light laugh. "Have you enjoyed adventuring?"
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound