(o) in the stillness of remembering
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Age: 40 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
The water so black that the darkness hummed
Well. That certainly is a lot of information packed into a few sentences. Maru can't deny that he's intrigued, though with his allegiance to Rae he can't help the slight revulsion in his gut at the mention of a war. It seems he and his people have missed quite a lot in recent times, or perhaps the supply of information had simply dissolved over decades of reduced migration. Torchline's waters will always call him home, and he has little knowledge of the Grounds as a whole. It is a vexing gap in his mind.

"That is certainly much more news than I anticipated. Forgive me if I am not capable of immediately formulating questions." Leaning back into the cradle of his arms, Maru slowly mulls over everything Amun has said. The act of creation is no small feat, and ascending yourself into godhood a previously unheard-of achievement. It encroaches upon his own deity's realm, but he is no infallible follower. Admittedly he is curious about this 'new' goddess, even if there is a sense of foreboding surrounding the idea. "You said you were created. Were you brought into being as you are?" Could he age? Was he intrinsically biased towards The Voice because he knew nothing else in his created memories? It's an intriguing prospect.
Maru
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my whole life is mine, but whoever says so will deprive me,
for it is infinite.
Unsurprisingly, Amun's story was a lot for Maru, someone who'd never heard of the Voice, to take in. Grinning very, very weakly, the potter tried to be as reassuring as he could manage under the circumstances. "You are forgiven. How could I resist such a handsome face?" It was an almost failed attempt at levity, which definitely fell flat under the circumstances.

Hesitating at the other man's question, the Ascended finally nodded. "Me more than most. I was brought into this world in this form, so I truly did not have a choice. I did have a life before Caido, though." Pausing, he turned so he could watch Maru's reaction to Amun's next statement. "But most Ascended do have that choice. The Accepted can go to her and asked to be remade. She would never do it to anyone without being asked." Other than the Outlanders, of course.
by being moved I exert my empire,
making the dreams of night real
AMUN
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Age: 40 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"Precisely the tactic I use to squirm my way out of trouble," he teases back, though with the same untroubled tone that only paints him further in the manner of a well-respected man, not the mischievous creature that the words strip him down to. The compliment is appreciated of course, but this man seems more a fan of teasing and wit than passive acceptance.

It is a curious past, one that Maru listens to eagerly even as his hand moves to summon the water up his body and refresh his skin so as not to have to slip back into the water for breathing purposes. "Brought here? Without your consent?" It's non-judgmental in tone, bit a wrinkle of thought appears between dark brows, unaware of how Outlanders are brought to this land. "At least she offers them the choice, that is an honorable thing to do. I admit I'm curious about her, though I suspect I shall never be able to meet her." Which may be a bit too big of a hint, but the man has already taught him much, Maru does not mind spilling the proverbial beans if he questions it.
Maru
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
for it is infinite.
Grinning faintly, Amun found it fading quickly. "We all use what we've got." The words were quiet, and soon enough he found himself studying Maru's features once more. This time, it was to see how the other man was feeling about the potter's story.

However, as Maru commanded the water, the Ascended raised his eyebrows. Still, he said nothing about the other man's apparent hybrid status. "Without my consent." The admission rolled easily off his tongue. He'd long ago given up trying to change things outside his control.

"Why do you say that?" It went past curious and into a bit of insistent territory. However, the potter couldn't help but add, "I'd be happy to take you to meet her, if that's actually something you'd be interested in."
AMUN
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Change author:
Not one to say much more than necessary, Maru gives a slightly amused smirk in return to Amun's agreement. The Ascended man (and what a strange new term to add to his vocabulary) is quite the energetic and mischievous thing, apparent even in the throes of his grief.

A slight frown mars his face at the confirmed lack of consent, but it's not as if he can do anything about it now. Nevertheless it grates in that small, insistent way that will keep him up tonight. Focusing instead on the question, Maru takes pity on the man's confusion, and lifts a tentacle from the water to curl around a lock of hair. "I cannot leave these waters. I cannot breathe if my skin is not kept hydrated, and my kingdom lies far below the surface." A wry grin tugs at his lips. "Unless your Goddess would like to take a swim, I'm afraid I am restricted in my interactions with any deity."
Maru
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
As Maru revealed why he couldn't go visit the Voice, Amun's eyes widened a bit in surprise. "Aye, I can see why that'd be difficult." Clearing his throat, his eyes flicked to the other man's bottom half before returning to meet Maru's gaze squarely. "So you're a mermaid, then?" It was halfway between a question and a statement.

The potter didn't mind or much care about this revelation. Indeed, he simply shrugged. "I don't think she'd mind taking a swim. If you were indeed interested in meeting her, I can ask her how that might work." However, he wasn't insistent or adamant about it, he was merely offering.

Then he gave the other man a curious and slightly sly look. "Your kingdom? So you were being serious about that whole being someone important thing, then."
AMUN
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Change author:
Admittedly Mari is always amused when he gets to reveal his true nature to unsuspecting humans. This time is no exception, though at least Amun is respectful enough not to doubt or curse him out as others have. "I am certainly no maid," he rumbles, laughter thrumming in his throat. "But you are correct I am a merman."

Though his interest is definitely sincere. "Yes, it is my duty to be aware of such large developments such as a new God, and I would like to be as impartial as possible on the matter." And though he'd already partially confirmed the man's question, there's no harm in answering fully. "Indeed. I am the Luminary of the Merfolk, or Governor as you call them here." Not many understand his title despite the clear connections between the moon and tides to Maru, but he always clarifies nonetheless.
Maru
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Chuckling at Maru's statement, Amun conceded the point with a nod. "You're right. Definitely a man." Winking a bit playfully, he glanced down again at the other man's bottom half. However, the potter's gaze didn't linger there long. Instead, it returned to meet Maru's gaze squarely.

"Very important indeed, then." Raising his eyebrows, the Ascended's expression grew thoughtful. "I will certainly ask her next time we speak if she'd be willing and able to meet you. If she agrees," pausing, he grinned faintly, "or if I just wanted to see you again, how should I get in touch?" Shifting so that he was facing the Luminary more fully, Amun found himself relaxing even further in the merman's presence.
AMUN
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Change author:
Amusement is clear on Maru's face as the man concedes the point. Though he is far more interested in the potential to meet this Goddess of his, and Maru gives a polite nod of his head, gratitude apparent on his normally still, fathomless face. "I will eagerly await her, if she deigns to visit us." After all he will be very surprised if she is not busy like all the other forces in the world. Maru will not be offended if she declines.

The implication of another meeting brings a dark, low chuckle to his breast. "The deepest inlet on the coast is a favorite spot for my people. If I am not there myself, they will carry any message you may have to me." Or at least to one of his guards, who would then transfer the message properly. Feeling rather dry and uncomfortable despite having used his magic to let his skin breathe once more, he wriggles back into the water and off the sand, sinking down to his shoulders as he gives a smirk to the man left on the bank. "Until we meet again." A tentacle rises from the surf to give a jaunty wave, and then he sinks into the ocean and is gone.

- FIN
Maru