drifting amidst our dreams
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Age: 40 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Idealism sits prison while chivalry falls upon its sword
Maru is aware he is perhaps not the most devoted or emotionally available father. At times he regrets it, mourns any amount of distance between himself and his offspring. But there are things he cannot change about himself, and his nature is one of them. He knows Delta is aware of his love for her at the very least, for those are words he is confident in speaking. As such he is an understandably concerned father in that moment as he seeks her out in the city. The volcanic eruption itself does not pose much threat to them, but her adventurous ways as she grows older only puts her at further risk.

"Delta, child where are you?" He projects it through the waters, reaching out for any other mermaid in the vicinity to speak through their minds in skimming measures. He swims through the underwater structures, looking for her characteristic striped spines between the shifting light that penetrates the depths of their waters.
Maru
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 14 - Int:
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
She had an immense curiosity about life
Despite what her father may believe, she understands how devoted he is. At times, yes it is terribly frustrating and upsetting. To feel so distant on certain occasions, as if she is incapable of speaking with him or being fully honest, but that is something she has grown to understand. At her younger ages, it was the hardest. Fifteen and sixteen were rough years, but overtime she's started to understand the importance of her father's role in their society. Yes, they still have their moments, but she knows her father loves her and she loves him with all her heart.

Then things got bad.

The world was changing rapidly. A volcano erupted, Torchline became suddenly super crowded- she met a human who could use water magic. It was so much and the two had seemingly not been able to talk, at least, not until she heard the familiar voice. She had been distracted, looking at a bracelet that had fallen underwater. It had some sort of inscription, but it was very hard to make out. Clasping the bracelet onto her wrist, she made her way towards her father's voice.

The moment she saw him, a smile appeared on her face, but she tried to maintain composure. She wasn't a child anymore, so she couldn't just swim up and embrace him or scream his name. "Yes? You called for me?" She projected towards him. Delta didn't want to make any assumptions about why he may need her, that could only lead to bad things for the both of them. Hopefully all was well... hopefully.
and was constantly staring and wondering
DELTA
base by skylark
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Age: 40 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The oceans are vast, and luck must be on his side for Delta is not far from his reach after all. Perhaps she has returned home to their city for the security it brings, the safety it represents. There is no sentient aquatic creature beneath the surface who does not know of the eruption. Maybe this conversation will be easier than he anticipated.

Though she does not reach out herself, Maru bridges the gap for her, reaching to run a hand down through her short hair and cup the back of her head in a brief but affectionate touch. "I am glad to see you well. You were not near the eruption, were you?" Dark eyes sweep over her frame, assessing for any injuries and relaxing slightly when none are immediately visible. "I have had no contact from the Governor. I am aware of your explorations of late, but I implore you to exercise caution in the coming times." The gravity of his expression and tone as he projects it to her speaks for itself, and he can only hope that she will heed his warnings. She is older now and hopefully wiser for her added years, and will understand that as interesting as the mouth-breathers may be, there will be much change in the aftermath of the explosion.
Maru
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
A smile was painted on her face as her father reached forward, pulling her into an affectionate touch. She placed a delicate hand on his shoulder as she embraced the faint touch, happy that it was still okay. Things were going to be okay. The inspecting eyes are obvious, to which Delta offers a light shrug. "Don't worry, I was nowhere near the eruption. And trust me, I do not regret that. The volcanoes are not something I would mess with." Mess with was...a light way to put it. Delta desperately wanted to get her hands on some of the lava rock itself, to inspect it and see what it held, but she wasn't prepared to go close to there yet. There had been far too much carnage and in the wake of it would be sadness and mourning. That was to be best left alone.

And besides, there were other places to explore than the area directly hurt by the lava... until her father immediately put a ban on it. A light blush highlighted her cheeks as he mentioned that she had been a bit closer to civilization than he might've liked. "So you want me to stop going out." Which would be the possible worse case scenario. That just seemed miserable, to stay cooped up underwater. "Or.... can I just be safe? Stay away from the injured areas? I want to know what's going on with all these people- I... I met someone who had never even seen a mermaid before." It was almost blurted out, but still showed her keen interest in continuing to see new things. To figure out the ever growing changes.
DELTA
base by skylark
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Change author:
She leans into his touch, and he withdraws after a moment, satisfied with her words that claim she was nowhere near the site of eruption. The lava itself is slow, and he knows the ocean will cool it over time into a blackened rock, but its heat will disrupt the surrounding area for a time. "All things settle with time. Your curiosity can be sated when the danger has passed." He will not keep her from what makes her happy, despite his constant worries. Her explorations will help their people after all.

One brow rises at the flush that paints her cheeks, the way she misconstrues his words. "No. I merely ask you do so with extra cautionary measures. Panicked people do not think sanely." And many are still unaware of their existence as a race. She is his only daughter, and he will not risk her, no matter how she may love the surface world and its mysteries. Though she seems intent on throwing herself headlong into danger nonetheless if her admission is any proof. "You cannot be so risky, Delta." Maru is not the type to shout or growl, but there is a heavy weight and depth to his voice that speaks of displeasure. "You risk more than yourself when you tell our secrets, when you submit yourself to the mercy of a stranger." Especially if the Governor truly has perished.
Maru
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
With time? How long would with time last? The eruption would be rough on all those who resided within Torchline, merpeople and mouthbreathers alike. Whether it would bridge the gap between the two or triple it would be left up to fate. "And when do you think it'll be safe? When can we return back to normalcy or not have to worry about the volcano? Are the people in torchline okay?" The last part might've seemed to be an after thought, but it was still a major concern in her mind. If the citizens were uneasy, then it would translate to bad news for them, most likely.

There is a nod and she understands once more. Yes, he is right about that. When people are scared they attack what is unknown and she, to many, is unknown. "I understand-" Her understanding now doesn't change the past and already, she has met a human. If this talk had gone on before, she most likely would've tried to heed his warning, but it is impossible to change the past, even a god cannot do that.

Turning her head away, Delta nodded. She didn't want to accept his words. "Yes, father..." It didn't seem fair, not in the slightest. What else was she supposed to do? Stay down in the water, deep below where nothing can be learned? "I didn't tell him much, don't worry. He also wasn't much of a threat. He was scrawny, a mage. Said he wanted to tire himself out by swimming." The words were harsh, but bluntly honest. She had to describe him to her father well in order to prove she wasn't in danger, that her father had nothing to be concerned about.

With her eyes facing her father once more, she paused for a moment, hesitating. "Where am I allowed to go, in this case? I want to speak to the humans- maybe if I went with you, I'd be safe. You can do most of the speaking, I just want to learn more. Figure out what's going on- why more people have seemingly taken over the coast." What was going to happen with the lava. Answers to so many questions.
DELTA
base by skylark
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Change author:
Her curiosity is as youthful and fervent as she is, and he has grown accustomed to this in the years he has raised her. "When the ocean has cooled the lava and the sediment has settled. The volcano can erupt at any time, but we are safe in our ocean. The people of Torchline are hardy, all we can do is guide them from the waters if they end up within them trying to escape." That is where he will draw the line with helping the Torchliners. Not until he knows what has happened to the Governor, how they wish to proceed, how they are reacting to the crisis. There are too many unknowns for Maru to be comfortable involving his people - his daughter - any further.

"Appearances can be deceiving, daughter. Magic is nothing to scoff at, you know this." It's a gentle reminder, one he knows he has taught her since he has his own magic that he has regularly used since she was born. "Stay away from the unstable zones, let our people assist those who need it. Do not beach yourself for conversation's sake if you insist upon meeting them." Though they are all quite muscular considering their lifestyle, she is still young and incapable of a swift retreat with her lionfish tail, unlike his own dexterous limbs. "If you wish to accompany me I will allow that. It would be considerably safer." And he could help introduce her to the ways of the mouth-breathers, start to integrate her into the deals and agreements between their people and those on land.
Maru
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
The words said by her father were really obvious ones. Yes, they wouldn't be able to go near for quite a while. Volcanoes were unpredictable and they could only hope nothing more would happen. There was something else to it, yes, but she wasn't sure what it was. "If you hear more, please tell me. I know you may think I'm young, but I want to know what's happening with the eruption. I won't get involved, I promise, but I don't want to be left in the dark." It was a promise, absolutely, and Delta would uphold it. That was something she could do. She wouldn't dare go near the volcano or the eruption..

Really, she knew that she should've known better. The magic had been fantastic, as had seeing the man shift into a bird. It was as if she had been in a trance. The more her father spoke, the more she realize that she could've likely been tricked. It was dark and sad. If only she could've read his emotions or something. Known the true intentions behind all of his actions. It was a bit surprising her father hadn't ask for any information she got about the man. Didn't he at least want to know more? The next part was even more shocking. "I don't beach myself really, don't worry. I don't want to get stuck and-" She cuts herself off, turning her head to the side. "I will be careful, I promise." She left it at that. The safe areas would be the only ones explored, she would stay far away from the volcanic activity, and no more beaching (not like she did it anyways).

Despite all of this, there was a bit of hope. Maru agreed to letting her join him! It was exciting and would certainly replace any moments she would normally take to get close to the land walkers. "Yes, that would be great. Thank you." There was a clear attempt to limit her enthusiasm, to be professional, but she was far from the best actor. Besides, if anyone knew her, Maru was the one to see through anything.
DELTA
base by skylark
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Change author:
"I shall. You are all I have my daughter, you must excuse any protectiveness I exercise that may feel unfair." She is the last he has after her mother's demise, and though the magma itself is less of a danger once it has entered the water, he would rather be safe than sorry. "As they rebuild and seek us out once more, you may join me if it will sate your curiosity." A similar offer to the one he has already extended to allow her at his side when meeting singular individuals, but a grander one. An allowance to be involved in the politics of it all. She is growing older after all, he cannot deny that.

Her promise to exercise caution is all he can ask for, and he knows it. So instead he smiles, grateful and reserved as is his manner, and hopes she will be true to her word. His power and reach only goes so far after all. Controlling his daughter's migrations and explorations is beyond even him. Though she at least seems enticed by the offer, her frustrations ebbing beneath the promise to allow her at his side. "You are welcome. Are there areas you would prioritize?" Delving for more information on where she has been, if she knows where the mouth-breathers like to gather already.
Maru
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
His behavior is understandable when she thinks about it. Sometimes, it does annoy her to no end, but when she's finally relaxed and calmed down, she really can understand where he's coming from. It's a frustrating thing to deal with, but she's grown used to it. "I understand, don't worry." She offers him a soft smile, not really wanting to touch on the unspoken. He was really all she had as well. She didn't have a massive extended family. All he had was her father.

The younger mermaid's eyes widen and she nods excitedly. "Yes! That would be so fantastic!" She doesn't even try to find her joy, clearly having great amounts of comfort around her father. This was the opportunity of a life time! "I really wanted to get to know those sorts of people! Do you think- if it would be possible, that I could meet the Governor?" There was a large amount of hope in the voice. She looked as if she was about to explode from pure excitement. This was what she wanted, to go with him and see all the important people. Learn about the major changes first hand! Someone clearly must be a super smart person if they were elected Governor and who knows, maybe they will offer her something!

With her curiosity now relaxed, she felt happy once more with the situation. So while yeah, she couldn't go everywhere she wanted, at least her father would take her to fun, new places. Speaking of which, he had actually chosen to ask her about places in specific. Drifting off, she thought for a moment before speaking once more. "Well... for one, I really want to train. I mean, you said that I would be in danger, so might as well train me so that it wont become a problem." Haha. Great time to slip that one in there. "I... I'm not really sure if there's anywhere in specific. I guess just everywhere we can really go. Seeing as I cant exactly go on land, we are kinda limited." There weren't many new places to visit anymore and seeing as she kinda didn't have any legs, there wasn't really anything new she hadn't already seen or at least heard a lot about.
DELTA
base by skylark
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Change author:
For all his reservations, nobody can say that Maru does not know his daughter. Her pleasure is unmistakable, and he smiles quietly down at her, glad to have given her this small thing after having to restrict her explorations. At the mention of the Governor, whom he has already mentioned to her as being radio silent, Maru sighs quietly. "He has not contacted me as of yet. If there is a new Governor, initial relations will be delicate, but after they are secured you can meet them." Privately, Maru believes the Governor to have perished, but until he knows one way or the other they will simply have to bide their time.

"Training with your magic is just as important as your body. We are more at risk for confrontation that can harm us outside of our waters." They are accustomed to the various marine predators after all, but humans are the unpredictable element, especially when they cannot walk on land. "I will see what I can do to help you train. Now go, child. I will not keep you from your exploits." A faint warmth emanates from his expression, the barest twitch of his lips into a fond smile as he sets her off back to what she had previously been doing.

- FIN
Maru